Have we lost too much?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Have we lost too much?

With Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, Samuel (i know he left year before last) gone, have we lost too much verteran leadership and consistency to get us back to the promise land? We seem to  be relying a lot of rookies and 2nd year players to provide the leadership we need on defense. Wilfork said himself.."they are not looking at 1 guy to fulfill Bruschi's leadership role, but many"...to me that speaks volumes. I think there has to be 1 guy that the defense turns to that gets them all on the same page. The offense has it with Brady, now the defense does not have that in 1 player. Is the lack of chemistry/leadership going to preclude our chances to reach the SB?....please chime in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clancy84. Show Clancy84's posts

Re: Have we lost too much?

i agree that the depth of veteran leadership on the defensive side is becoming a little troubling.  but don't forget you have an excellent D-line that have played for several seasons now.  i think it'll be up to guys like wilfork, seymour and warren to pick up some of the slack in the locker room.  perhaps this will also give Mayo an additional push to step up from rookie to leader.  he obviously has the skills to top the team in tackles, maybe now he'll be also able to help lead the team.  though it's a little shaky at the moment, i'm thinking that the D will turn it around this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Every loss hurts. I think the loss of Harrison will be hard to overcome even if we did win games when he was injured.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Bruschi retiring represents the end of an era. We now have to hope BB and Brady can instill a sense of pride and carry on the Patriot way in the young players on our team. A lot of these guys dont know what its like to win a superbowl. I hope they will find out soon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

when I think of player leadership on this team now, I think of the following people:

Tom Brady
    Randy Moss
    Wes Welker
    Vince Wilfork
    Richard Seymour
    Jerod Mayo
    The entire offensive line

Each of these people have a quality about them that makes them a leader. Maybe it's pure talent and the ability to tutor young talent to show them how to become better players. Maybe it's the ability to teach new players how to quickly absorb the system. Maybe it's how to become one with the system. Maybe it's how to be a teammate and how to ground yourself with everyone else as a single unit.

Yes, we've lost leadership, but we still have it. I'm sure everyone has learned from those before them, and the cycle will continue.

The veterans we've lost have an impact on this team far beyond their years as an NFL player. That's just how great veteran leadership goes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

We all drink the Kool-Aid, but if anyone thinks we can take the losses this year, and absorb the new guys in one seamless, "you'd never know it happened" shakeup you are not drinking Kool-Aid, you're drinking Wild Turkey 101 straight.

Yet another reason why I say the offense will need to carry us the first half of the year.  I think our D will look good after that though.  I think the new guys will turn out well down the stretch.  Brace yourself for a lot of fan panic the first part of the season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Have we lost too much?:
    [QUOTE]We all drink the Kool-Aid, but if anyone thinks we can take the losses this year, and absorb the new guys in one seamless, "you'd never know it happened" shakeup you are not drinking Kool-Aid, you're drinking Wild Turkey 101 straight. Yet another reason why I say the offense will need to carry us the first half of the year.  I think our D will look good after that though.  I think the new guys will turn out well down the stretch.  Brace yourself for a lot of fan panic the first part of the season.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Carawaydj I agree 100 % I am always an optimistic fan and I am quite frankly shocked whenever we lose, but going into this year with only Brady Seymour Jarvis Green and a few other guys who know personally what it takes to get over the hump does not give me a great sense of confidence. I still believe we have one of the best rosters in the league and we are the best coached but I do not feel like I did going into the 2007 season-that nobody could beat us. Then again I was wrong about that(barely) maybe it is a good thing that the odds are against us, it seems that is when The Patriots Shock the World!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

We've gained too much.  11 free agents, 4 second round draft choices...  This was an 11-5 team under a second string QB, and Brady's back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Until this year we've always had two great leaders in the middle of the field - Bruschi and Rodney.  Now we've got Mayo and Merriweather.  I don't think they cut it in the leadership department.  Seymour and Green can't lead the D from up front in the trenches.  Thomas might be able to help lead from the stong side spot when they're playing 4-3, but I don't see anyone filling in at safety.  Merriweather doesn't seem to have it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

nothing wrong with haveing youth on the team.but the veterans are needed,to help coordinate on the feild, like feild generals.if you have to many new guys on the feild,and no vets who really knows the system,it could be like the blind leading the blind.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]nothing wrong with haveing youth on the team.but the veterans are needed,to help coordinate on the feild, like feild generals.if you have to many new guys on the feild,and no vets who really knows the system,it could be like the blind leading the blind.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE

Yeah when there is no "Sherrif" to control and hold people accountable on the field then big plays happen. Need Sanders and Merriweather to step up along with Mayo and Thomas.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

they will get it done,but at times we will see some confusion out there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have we lost too much? : [QUOTE]nothing wrong with haveing youth on the team.but the veterans are needed,to help coordinate on the feild, like feild generals.if you have to many new guys on the feild,and no vets who really knows the system,it could be like the blind leading the blind. Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE Yeah when there is no "Sherrif" to control and hold people accountable on the field then big plays happen. Need Sanders and Merriweather to step up along with Mayo and Thomas.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE] what was nice,when teddy was giving his speech,he was also like giving a message to the younger guys about hard work,or odds being against you.hopefully the young guys took note,

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayosmyboy51. Show mayosmyboy51's posts

[QUOTE]We've gained too much.  11 free agents, 4 second round draft choices...  This was an 11-5 team under a second string QB, and Brady's back.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Paul_K I could not agree more.  Brady's gonna be fine, he'll throw 30-40 touchdowns this year.  I agree that the offense will be great this year, but I don't agree with the people that say the defense stinks and have lost leadership.  The entire d-line could be captains, Mayo's a monster and so is Adalius Thomas.  Sanders leads by example and is a very solid starter.  There was an interesting piece about Meriweather being a star on the rise on ESPN.com.  He in no way is a bust and is poised to have another great year, this time as a starter for the entire year.  And finally, Bodden is a stalwart on the right and then you rotate in Wilhite, Butler, and Springs for the left and slot sides.  I'm very confident that this defense will not be as bad as most everybody thinks they will.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have we lost too much? : Paul_K I could not agree more.  Brady's gonna be fine, he'll throw 30-40 touchdowns this year.  I agree that the offense will be great this year, but I don't agree with the people that say the defense stinks and have lost leadership.  The entire d-line could be captains, Mayo's a monster and so is Adalius Thomas.  Sanders leads by example and is a very solid starter.  There was an interesting piece about Meriweather being a star on the rise on ESPN.com.  He in no way is a bust and is poised to have another great year, this time as a starter for the entire year.  And finally, Bodden is a stalwart on the right and then you rotate in Wilhite, Butler, and Springs for the left and slot sides.  I'm very confident that this defense will not be as bad as most everybody thinks they will.
    Posted by mayosmyboy51[/QUOTE]

I agree but it will take a half a season or so in my opinion. BB was clear in that the team had to get faster and with Mayo, Guyton, Thomas, Meriweather, Bodden, Butler, the team is faster. It will take a little while to gel, but I think the defense will also be able to throw different 4-3 and 3-4 combos at teams and really be able to confuse. BB took Brace high in the 2nd (one of our first picks) for a reason and I do not think it was to replace Wilfork. With Brace and Wilfork the 4-3 takes on a different flavor, something we have not had in a long while. There will be a learning curve (even though Bodden and Springs are veterans, they are rookies in our system) but when the snow falls and the games count the defense will be intimidating.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

This is a situation where our future defensive leaders will to step up. Mayo seems to be one of those guys on defense. Could be that Merriwether is another (Can't seriously  say a guy "just doesn't have it" after only two years). Chung also seems like the type, once he gets more experience.
    Wouldn't be a bad time to reconsider bringing in former Pats like Ty Law for leadership, if only in backup roles.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

the run D will be top 5, the pass D will struggle early and often, i expect the TEAM D to peak after november and hopefully into february.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I'd hate to say something trite about losing leaders like Harrison and Tedy, but the NFL is partly about turnover. Hopefully with Mayo and Guyton inside the Pats will be alright. It is unrealistic to expect any athlete to go full tilt for 10 years, let alone 13. Tedy was a very good player on some very great teams and that's kind of what the system BB has in place is about. I'd rather have good players on a team where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts than a collection of huge egos and massive contracts that accomplish nothing. Willie, Ty, Rodney all very good players that won championships; at this point I don't care who makes the hall and who doesn't.

I mentioned on a draft thread  last year that there would be turnover in the Pats line-up. Obviously this is no big thing, but it won't be an easy transition. Hopefully Mayo and the other young players form the nucleus of some great teams because, frankly, I don't want the winning tradition to stop......and it won't.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The defensive line will police themselves, all pros and leaders.

Mayo has already taken over the linebackers, been calling signals, leading the team in tackles and mentored by BRU; no problem.  Adalius Thomas has seen it all and Burgess has been around a while.

Shawn Springs isn't going to be shaken by anything, Meriweather and Sanders arent rooks any more. 

You'll never replace Tedy's enthusiam but we are going to see team speed on this D we havent seen in a few seasons.  This is a young man's game.  Our offense will be overpowering but our D wont be pushed around either, simply because we have the BEST DEFENSIVE LINE IN FOOTBALL and even though they havent played together as a unit you might say the same things about the linebackers by the ends of the season; the defensive backfield could be an after thought. 

If Guyton can stick in the middle than Thomas, Burgess and Mayo might be the best group of 3/4 backers in the NFL, that's a ROY and two all pros.  Guyton is the difference between good and great. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I think this is a fair question but I think this really only applies to the D.  The offense is loaded, not only with talent, but with leaders who have been there done that.

The D really is really going to rely on Mayo, Meriweather, Seymour, Wifork and Warren to step it up.  I don't have too much confidence in anyone else on that side of the ball which is shocking to some extent.  I never thought I would see the day that you only have one truly talented VETERAN linebacker on a Patriots D; Adlius Thomas.  They're obviously more than just confident in Mayo but he is still really just learning.  I think the talent pool by the end of the year will make up for Bruschi and Vrabel having taken over and perhaps that is the stance Belichick is taking - keep guys who will still be playing at a high level in January rather than guys whose tanks are already low.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Change Happens.  Like it or not.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

What say you now?
    I think most people understand the "why's" of the Seymour trade but when you hear Reise label Wilfork and Mankins as dejected and stoic, you have to wonder about the chemistry of this team.  Ya, I know they're pro's but you have to wonder if this is too much.  It was tough before this!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

I don't think. It was time to reload with talent. The dfense has lost us an AFC Championship (Colts) and the last SB. Time to get new yong faster talent. BB will get these guys coached. Look what he did with Hoyer the other night. Who da thunk an undrafted rookie qb would beat out a veteran and 3rd round pick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusco. Show rusco's posts

Patriots sign OG Kendall Simmons

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

No, it was time to shed some veterans. BB knows the offense can put up 30-40 points a games. he may give some points up, but by the time the seasons over this defense won't be a bunch of old tired veterans and ready for the playoffs.