Headed for a Lockout?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

Headed for a Lockout?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817f4261&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Ok, so according to this, the owners complained about the 6-year rookie salary structure, and the player union's response to that was to cut it to a 3-year salary scale. Is it just me, or is the union being extremely greedy?

The way I interpret this is that their answer to ridiculously expensive 6 year rookie salaries (i.e. Jamarcus Russell) is to change them to ridiculously expensive 3 year contracts.....sooooo, not only will you have to pay rookies (annually) the same amount that you are paying them now.....but now you also run a very high risk of losing that player after just 3 years.

How is that a solution, and did they really expect the owners to agree to that? What would be the point of drafting anyone in the first round anymore? The way it's looking to me, the union is the problem here and I think it's looking more and more like a lockout is going to happen.....

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: Headed for a Lockout?

I agree with you. That's a terrible decision. The rookies haven't done anything at the NFL level to prove they are worth that amount of money. If the three year contract was put in there would be a lot of free agents looking for big pay days from other teams just as they begin to hit their prime. The other players are getting paid millions of dollars and they should just stop complaining. They are paid employees that are hired by the owner of a business. So what if the owner is making good money? That's the point. Regional managers of corporations aren't making as much of the CEO. Should they all go on strike because the CEOs are making a ton of money?

They really could pick a better time to strike. Many people are struggling just to pay the bills and these guys are getting upset because they are only making a few million dollars a year. Maybe they should learn how to invest and not buy five houses and six sports cars. Maybe they should buy their own NFL franchise.

Millions of Americans love the NFL and watch it religiously. If there is a lock out there will be a lot of angry people and negative reports on the NFL. If they don't want the job, I'll take it. Don't even get me started on the insane rookie salaries. There is no reason unproven talent should be worth so much money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You know considering the union is full of vets (non stars) who can't get paid as much because rookie contracts are out of control you'd think that they'd be all in favor of smaller rookie contracts so the vets would get paid more.

This is all just a strategy imo. They say they want the rookies to get paid large and only for 3 years but I bet in the end there will be a rookie limit with a 4 year rookie contract limit, 1 year RFA, and limit to 1 franchise tag per contract period

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i would create a maximum value per year of a rookie contract of $8 million per season however 4 million/yr of such a contract is required to be incentives, thus eliminating the huge contracts, but allowing skilled players to still make good money.  The rookies will be able to sign for a maximum of 5 seasons regardless of draft position.  Also the vet min is raised to $1.4 million (from 850,000) thus distributing the wealth more to proven veterans.  In order to accomodate the owners the # of games will be extended to 18 and the new roster maximum is 60 players (from 53).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

screw the unions,,,,name one that doesnt always want more...regardless of the cost being passed on to the customers.....The players are well compensated for their "work"....And they dont die when their career ends... I havent checked the figures but how about taking an average of the salaries and thats a start with the high picks....then move it down as the rounds pass.....THe union management will have to change it up and accept less....  PLEASE MR KRAFT,,,stand up this time and do whats right...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Not all unions are bad, just the majority of them. One example of a good union is the miners union. Considering how dangerous the job is they aren't paid very well but the union fought to improve working conditions greatly improving safety and dropping mortality rates; while also increasing life insurance for the families of those who die as a result of the job. That is an example of what unions were meant to be instead we have the players union in both the nfl, mlb, and most of the unions in MA as examples of the greed they turned into.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Headed for a Lockout?:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817f4261&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true Ok, so according to this, the owners complained about the 6-year rookie salary structure, and the player union's response to that was to cut it to a 3-year salary scale. Is it just me, or is the union being extremely greedy? The way I interpret this is that their answer to ridiculously expensive 6 year rookie salaries (i.e. Jamarcus Russell) is to change them to ridiculously expensive 3 year contracts.....sooooo, not only will you have to pay rookies (annually) the same amount that you are paying them now.....but now you also run a very high risk of losing that player after just 3 years. How is that a solution, and did they really expect the owners to agree to that? What would be the point of drafting anyone in the first round anymore? The way it's looking to me, the union is the problem here and I think it's looking more and more like a lockout is going to happen..... Thoughts?
    Posted by tmot1234

You're correct. The rookie salary structure is very important to the unions for a couple of reasons. The first of course is all the extra money coming to the players at that point but what it also does is pave the way for higher contracts down the road for veterans because they will use the negotiating ploy of saying, " Look what you are paying that rookie and he hasn't even done anything yet". I don't think there will be a lockout because there is so much money to be lost out there that both sides would have to be pretty stupid and greedy but the Owners really need to get a hold on this rookie salary structure and get it to a point where it's similar to baseball(Higher paying than Baseball rookies of course based on average career length of a Football player).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

It's called posturing. Neither side wants a work stoppage.

One possible point of contention: if Cali votes to legalize marijuana, as expected, in November, the NFLPA may want to strike pot from the NFL's substance abuse program. I'm hoping this happens since pot is not a PED and doesn't have the harmful effects of pain killers or alcohol.