Hightower is the worst pass rusher /contain LB in the league

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Re: Hightower is the worst pass rusher /contain LB in the league

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

[QUOTE]

Oh and let me know when everybody finally catches up realizes Dink is a pretty horrible LB also.

[/QUOTE]

That is pretty much never going to happen.  Sorry.

[/QUOTE]

Nink got spun around on that other missed play that Newton got out of...   But at least he got himself into that position, right...? 

The funny thing is that if Hightower got there,  Mybe he's the guy who can close the deal on Newton and get him on the ground.  He has shown good tackling in the open field so he needs a kick in the azs to get him to that spot...  Hopefully its correctable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/11/patriots_take_2_three_game_cha.html?comments=all&ia=22113881

THis article explains it in a nicer way...  On the specific play I was talking about...  Example 1 (pictures) in the article.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The board has found its new defensive goat in Mayo's absence!  Congrats!  Everytime the Pats lose let's cue up the Hightower and Ridley threads, it makes for great material.  Some are never happy unless they can lay the failures of a loss at someone's feet without looking at the totality.  They lost as a team, and if they spend as much time as some of you lot in crying over a loss they're gonna get flattened by the Broncos.   

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

In response to HeygangLH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe if your DT's weren't getting blown backwards off the ball on a consistent basis he would have a better chance out there containing?

Just a thought

[/QUOTE]

You're kidding me right?  DT's getting blown backwards has NOTHING to do with the QB/RB running outside the numbers into an open field for 10-20 yds untouched!!  The DT's were actually doing their job by preventing the QB from running up the MIDDLE of the Defense.  Tha's why Newton ran to the outside.  BUT, once again Hightower was nowhere to be found around the ball.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The board has found its new defensive goat in Mayo's absence!  Congrats!  Everytime the Pats lose let's cue up the Hightower and Ridley threads, it makes for great material.  Some are never happy unless they can lay the failures of a loss at someone's feet without looking at the totality.  They lost as a team, and if they spend as much time as some of you lot in crying over a loss they're gonna get flattened by the Broncos.   

[/QUOTE]

Grab your hightower jersey and run around london , I don't care.   He stunk beyond belief on this play ... admit it.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

In response to HeygangLH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey shiney- How are ya? When your Dt's are going backwards it's kind of hard to get out there. The whole pile is coming at you. Stop w the scapegoating in here already. Brady blew the last game not Hightower and the defense.

Learn the game and stop with the Brady Apologist movement in here.

[/QUOTE]

I am not a Brady apologist....correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we talking about Hightower?  I know your ADD is probably kicking in because we're already on the second page of this thread, but try to stay with me.  I only have issue with HIghtower when he's not containing the outside against the QB/RB.  This happens many times during the game.  To compound the issue, Hightower has also proven to not be able to cover a TE or RB.  So, what exactly DOES HE DO WELL?  (crickets)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I have to agree, he is a very poor pass defender from what limited game play I have seen.  But, is there anyone on the team, or even in the league who is available, you would want to replace him now?  I do not think so.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

He was pretty bad last game. I am trying to give him the b.o.d. and say since he has the green dot he is overwhelmed with getting the call in and still doing his job but I saw him too many times trotting to the ball. Its one thing to not be fast, another to NOT give effort and if that is seen on film this week, I expect a big decrease in snaps as Gregory returns to wear the green dot.

One last  thing is he is not a pass rusher in this defense so the title is misleading. He SHOULD be a pass rusher here cuz his linebacker instincts s*ck. I said last year that he looked good but he was slow to react on run reads. He looked better early on this year but has regressed to the point I dont think he should play backer. He needs to be on the line with that 270 lb frame getting to the QB ala James Harrison. He is lost right now out there. I hope they are having talks to resign Spikes cuz Hightower and Collins are NOT the future at backer by my eyes. Collins is athletic but not overly fast at backer but is a fast DE but not being played that way. BB needs to evaluate how he used these guys going forward. They are miscast at the moment iMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

I have to agree, he is a very poor pass defender from what limited game play I have seen.  But, is there anyone on the team, or even in the league who is available, you would want to replace him now?  I do not think so.

OK ,  I get that.  But when the discussion comes around to who makes more plays from the linebacker position vs.  who makes more blunders. ...   It's clear that Spikes is a more instinctual player and Hightower can run faster but is lacking some basic ability to make decisive reads on the fly... 

Also get that this is his second year and hopefully he can learn this but right now I'd rather rail on his shortcomings since it pisses me off to see first round picks playing that way wasting his god given 'talent"...  meanwhile the KueKleys of the world can do everything ...

BTW who th'f' is that little dink jets troll leon that hangs out here...? who is that tool.  what a loser.  why soesn't he just go jurk off in his jets shrine...  since they suck and he's confused right now.   wow how sad...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

[QUOTE]

Grab your hightower jersey and run around london , I don't care.   He stunk beyond belief on this play ... admit it.

[/QUOTE]

I live in Boston but I'd be happy to run around London if you want to pay for my airfare.  One play a career doesn't make.  They win and lose as a team and as bad as a guy looks on one play doesn't come near to telling the whole story.  Criticism of players is fine, but to define a guy's whole career by one video capture isn't really telling of anything. 

It's a phenomenon around here that for every sports team one guy just has to bear the ire of the most vocal of all Boston fandom.  

JD/Stephen Drew, Rajon Rondo, Antoine Walker, Wes Welker, Phil Kessel, Joe Thornton - yes, let's lay the collective failures of your teams at your feet and forget all the contributions.   None of them bums can stand up for falling down. 

You guys ever watch highlight videos of draft prospects.  They can cinch together 30 plays of a guy's college career and make him look like the second coming.  Same with lowlights.  One lowlight reel says nothing to me.  I am sure others agree.  But if a goat is needed, I guess Hightower is next in line since Mayo's done for the year.      

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to coolade2's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I live in Boston but I'd be happy to run around London if you want to pay for my airfare.  One play a career doesn't make.  They win and lose as a team and as bad as a guy looks on one play doesn't come near to telling the whole story.  Criticism of players is fine, but to define a guy's whole career by one video capture isn't really telling of anything. 

It's a phenomenon around here that for every sports team one guy just has to bear the ire of the most vocal of all Boston fandom.  

JD/Stephen Drew, Rajon Rondo, Antoine Walker, Wes Welker, Phil Kessel, Joe Thornton - yes, let's lay the collective failures of your teams at your feet and forget all the contributions.   None of them bums can stand up for falling down. 

You guys ever watch highlight videos of draft prospects.  They can cinch together 30 plays of a guy's college career and make him look like the second coming.  Same with lowlights.  One lowlight reel says nothing to me.  I am sure others agree.  But if a goat is needed, I guess Hightower is next in line since Mayo's done for the year.      

[/QUOTE]

Don't you understand, generalizing from the particular is simply too much fun to pass up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Funny how when Wilfork and Kelly were healthy, our defense looked like it had All Pro's at every position and now they all "sux" again... did we rewind back two or three years or what?

Hightower is being asked to play Mayo's position, something he is less equipped to do than Mayo, but worse than that he no longer has the luxury of Vince and Tommy pushing the middle of the pocket, shrinking the time opposing QB's have to throw, shrinking running lanes and making our defense dominant overall.

Why don't we stop looking for a scapegoat (Hightower, Arrington, McCourty, Belichick) and just admit that with injuries to our Pro Bowl/All Pro players and team captains that our entire defense is just not as good?  

The linebacker corps took a huge hit when Mayo went down no doubt, but the only true weakness of this defense and why we are now getting burned is at defensive tackle, it starts up front.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Wait, Cam Newton made a 270 pound linebacker look silly? Guy must have suxed, every 270 pound LB catches Cam on that play. Chandler Jones sux too, as he couldn't catch that bum on his 70 yard 10 second run. of course Mayo really sux, can't even stay healthy, and Wilfork is starting to look like a bust, missing all these games, plus if you look at his career, his stats aren't good( LOL) .Nink is a bum, as he once again showed with his 9 tackles, 2 sacks and a tackle for a loss against Cam Newton....he sux. Talib is great though,  proven leader on and off the field. He should probably be named team captain so he can set an example for all the bad playerson defense.

I see its "Opposite Thread Day" again!

I'll leave you with this gem, "Belichick sux". 

Too funny....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know this wasnt directed at me but since I also was not impressed with his play I will try and offer a rebuttal. 1st let me just pre phrase this by saying all I heard in the offseason was how great this D was gonna be and how A.WIlson, CJ and Hightower would help make us better and Cj and Hightower would make great 2nd year strides. I took it in stride and said we shall see. Lo and behold after a few weeks of playing sub par teams, we were a top 5 defense and looked almost dominant at times. Of course when you have injuries to both your D tackles and your middle linebacker the other players performance will suffer. No one is saying otherwise. I myself noticed last year that Hightower had the talent and I mentioned during last year that he was slow to read and react on run plays almost as if he was 2nd guessing instead of trusting his eyes. Coming into this year I looked to see if that changed. He had a pretty good start but starting tailing off in the mental aspect BEFORE the injuries. He started to think and to me that showed he had poor instincts for the position. I thought when Mayo went down, he did ok but when asked to call the D, he was lost.

I can live with a player being overwhelmed with a new task of calling plays but what I cant live with is what I counted to be THREE times he slowly trotted to the ball while it was still in play and just showed NO effort. Thats NEVER acceptable. I just feel that he is miscast right now and hurting more than helping. Let Fletcher take his role and let him loose on the QB. Get your moneys worth cuz he aint playing like a 1st rounder. The same way you guys always want to bash those for having an opinion about a player thats negative, you should smack those homers who say he is the 2nd coming and he does not become that. According to some here, he should be dominating. He was a non factor last game playing 58 out of 58 snaps. If you wanna dispute that, please point out the positive impact he had. Simple.  Other guys seem to be getting it done despite injuries and they arent 1st rd picks. Enough with the excuses. Lets see what his snap count looks like next week. I garuantee you he doenst play 100% like last game once they review the film.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Its funny how JUST this year we found out players can be called some real nasty names and picked on and bullied ALL because they arent performing on the field and you guys want a give a grown man who was a 1st round pick a pass for not playing well???    Wow....   If the Jets had drafted him in the 1st and had a game like that what would this board be saying about him?  Atleast keep it real man.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

TripleOG, I read both of your preceding two posts and I simply have to repeat what I posted earlier in this thread:

<<Under BB's defensive scheme in the context of last night's defensive game plan what was Hightower's assignment(s)?  What was he supposed to be doing in the various defensive sets called?  Were the Pats in man when he 'blew' his assignment(s)? Zone? Combination?

I'll grant you that on a couple of the plays identified it appeared as though Hightower didn't make the play that was there to be made.  However, unless you know the answers to the questions I've posed, labeling him the 'space-waster' that the above posts seem to have is at best premature and most probably an overreaction.>>

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I don't see that offering the above info as giving anyone a pass but simply placing things in context.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

TripleOG, I read both of your preceding two posts and I simply have to repeat what I posted earlier in this thread:

<<Under BB's defensive scheme in the context of last night's defensive game plan what was Hightower's assignment(s)?  What was he supposed to be doing in the various defensive sets called?  Were the Pats in man when he 'blew' his assignment(s)? Zone? Combination?

I'll grant you that on a couple of the plays identified it appeared as though Hightower didn't make the play that was there to be made.  However, unless you know the answers to the questions I've posed, labeling him the 'space-waster' that the above posts seem to have is at best premature and most probably an overreaction.>>

[/QUOTE]

So you are gonna tell me there is a scheme that calls for Hightower to trot his *ss to the ball? Its nice how you guys choose to look at it in the way of "well I dont know BBs scheme so what was he supposed to do here" Well, you are always supposed to pursue the ball carrier, I dont care what scheme. Also, being a pats fan forever and admiring BB from afar I think I can speak to what he wants on the field in general and all I will say about that is lets see what the snap count is next week and then you all will counter with the same thing. "what was the plan vs manning vs cam and what was this" No offense but I dont need to know all of that. I know how to read defensive alignments and how to daignose coverages and all that. There are only so many defenses you can play. It just seems you guys choose to give him the B.O.D. and I have as well up until Monday night where I saw a LACK OF EFFORT. Go check the film

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Simply because I don't see this the same way you do doesn't mean I don't know what I'm watching nor does it mean I'm giving the guy a pass.  I stick by my original post which included an acknowledgment that it appeared that there were a couple of plays where Hightower didn't make a play that was there to be made.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

I was stoked when he was drafted! I thought we found another Tedy Bruschi. Ah NO! He honestly sucks! It's embassarring. All we ever see is his #54 (The back side) chasing down no one!