Hightower is the worst pass rusher /contain LB in the league

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Hightower is the worst pass rusher /contain LB in the league

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Simply because I don't see this the same way you do doesn't mean I don't know what I'm watching nor does it mean I'm giving the guy a pass.  I stick by my original post which included an acknowledgment that it appeared that there were a couple of plays where Hightower didn't make a play that was there to be made.  

[/QUOTE]

Thats fair bro. Everyone has a diff. way of seeing things. It just feels that noone cares about when homers OVERATE players but when someone offers a thoughtful analysis of a concern he gets attacked for being an overreacter. Im just saying Im seeing a pattern since last year even with ALL the guys on D so I cant just ignore it. We both agree that BB most likely wants more out of him, no?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

Bruschi said he needs to play ten pounds lighter

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Simply because I don't see this the same way you do doesn't mean I don't know what I'm watching nor does it mean I'm giving the guy a pass.  I stick by my original post which included an acknowledgment that it appeared that there were a couple of plays where Hightower didn't make a play that was there to be made.  

[/QUOTE]

Thats fair bro. Everyone has a diff. way of seeing things. It just feels that noone cares about when homers OVERATE players but when someone offers a thoughtful analysis of a concern he gets attacked for being an overreacter. Im just saying Im seeing a pattern since last year even with ALL the guys on D so I cant just ignore it. We both agree that BB most likely wants more out of him, no?

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

I don't think bruschi was necessarily saying he's fat - just needa to be lighter to move better- maybe too many muscles-

the radio guys on Sunday night football said the same of Von miller- that he put  on 20 pounds of muscle and it lessened his explosiveness- how did Von put on 20 lbs of muscle? Ha

i do agree at times bruschi is overly critical of pats teams since he left 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ah hah!  The source  as to why Cupcake and Shizzles are running around here all of a sudden calling Hightower "fat".

So predictable. Good ol Bruschi all insecure and sensitive his Pats legacy may be cast aside at ESPN if new Pats players are praised or win a SB, he's brainwashing moron Pats fans who think everything he says is gospel with an ESPN stamp on his paychecks.

For the love of god, someone get Bruschi off of ESPN.

[/QUOTE]Except that he is correct. How many 270 pound inside linebackers do you see out there? He is playing out of position due to the Mayo injury. You should bow down to Bruschi, and kiss his rings. Go bash Brady and the rest of the guys who got you 3 rings. 

Hightower = too big to contain QBs and chase RBs. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

Ah hah!  The source  as to why Cupcake and Shizzles are running around here all of a sudden calling Hightower "fat".

So predictable. Good ol Bruschi all insecure and sensitive his Pats legacy may be cast aside at ESPN if new Pats players are praised or win a SB, he's brainwashing moron Pats fans who think everything he says is gospel with an ESPN stamp on his paychecks.

[/QUOTE]

Nice try but im  on record saying his instincts were bad LAST year and I was hoping for it to improve. He will play much better without the dot next week if he plays but he is still playing out of position imo. I dont watch ESPN unless there is a sports event. I cant remember the last time I seen Tedy. It was probably in uniform so Zip it with your conspiracy crap. You couldnt notice a bad defender on this D if his name was patrick chung.. oh wait

You are the only guy here saying he DIDNT play poorly. It was much more than the ONE play you saw but you being drunk during the game probably is a factor in that. Hightower was dogging it all game. I counted 3 times he lightly jogged to the ball while in play while the rest of the team hustles. I garuantee it will be pointed out in film study and he will be talked to about it and you will see a fire lit under him or see him on the bench. Levon Kirkland was 270 and moved very well and was an all pro backer so it CAN be done but the guy is lost and showed no effort last game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice try but im  on record saying his instincts were bad LAST year and I was hoping for it to improve. He will play much better without the dot next week if he plays but he is still playing out of position imo. I dont watch ESPN unless there is a sports event. I cant remember the last time I seen Tedy. It was probably in uniform so Zip it with your conspiracy crap. You couldnt notice a bad defender on this D if his name was patrick chung.. oh wait

You are the only guy here saying he DIDNT play poorly. It was much more than the ONE play you saw but you being drunk during the game probably is a factor in that. Hightower was dogging it all game. I counted 3 times he lightly jogged to the ball while in play while the rest of the team hustles. I garuantee it will be pointed out in film study and he will be talked to about it and you will see a fire lit under him or see him on the bench. Levon Kirkland was 270 and moved very well and was an all pro backer so it CAN be done but the guy is lost and showed no effort last game.

[/QUOTE]

Now you are saying he is "dogging it"?  That's not the reports poeple like Paul Perillo and others close to the team report about with Hightower.

Reports are he is a mature, hard working kid who does a lot of work studying, etc. So now, it's your contention that he's out on the field dogging it on MNF game?

Wow.

You say I am drunk and I want to sample some of the Kush you smoke during these games in your little bunker there in Dorchester.

It's fasctinating to me what you think you see in these games, simply because Ridley fumbled and we got hosed on a call on the road.  

Hightower was the guy who ran 30 yards to tackle Newton on that long scramble, you moron.

[/QUOTE]

Using Paul  Perillo as a source? that dude is a class a imbecile 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now you are saying he is "dogging it"?  That's not the reports poeple like Paul Perillo and others close to the team report about with Hightower.

Reports are he is a mature, hard working kid who does a lot of work studying, etc. So now, it's your contention that he's out on the field dogging it on MNF game?

Wow.

You say I am drunk and I want to sample some of the Kush you smoke during these games in your little bunker there in Dorchester.

It's fasctinating to me what you think you see in these games, simply because Ridley fumbled and we got hosed on a call on the road.  

Hightower was the guy who ran 30 yards to tackle Newton on that long scramble, you moron.

[/QUOTE]

I havent read any reports by perillo. Are you referring to his play all season which has been up or down or this past game? I am only referring to last game in which Yes it looked like he was dogging it. What else would you call it? Did he have to tie his cleat? I mean he probably wasnt completelt useless  but it was bad enough that EVERYONE else noticed but leave it you to, to defend EVERY defender because you think it makes BB look better. I dont care about anyones feelings. I want to see effort and he didnt show it to me. if he is hurt, ok, sit down, we have backups. Collins, Fletcher, Beauhanis, etc. Lets see what BB does with him next week.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

I wouldn't be shocked to see a lot of fletcher in this game 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Thats fair bro. Everyone has a diff. way of seeing things. It just feels that noone cares about when homers OVERATE players but when someone offers a thoughtful analysis of a concern he gets attacked for being an overreacter.

When has anyone here overrated Hightower?  Does overrating him mean not saying he sucks? Considering the title of this thread claims that Hightower is the worst LB in the league it seems like the negative people on this board are the ones that are being irrational.  I mean between this and mthurl calling him a fat, lazy P o S in another thread there doesn't seem to be a lot of "objectivity" coming from the people that claim they aren't homers like the rest of us.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

It's not his weight...  it's his reaction time ...  his instincts ...  He is a step behind , in the wrong gap.  With his size and speed you expect him to USE IT.

Shoot that gap and hammer the QB...!  Be hungry. Be aggressive.  Spikes at least plays with that fire and aggression which makes up for the lack of footspeed  in a lot of situations. 

Would n't be complimenting a guy who runs down a Qb angling across the field, since he came right to him.  Also did he blow him up...?  no.   He arm tackled him . 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thats fair bro. Everyone has a diff. way of seeing things. It just feels that noone cares about when homers OVERATE players but when someone offers a thoughtful analysis of a concern he gets attacked for being an overreacter.

When has anyone here overrated Hightower?  Does overrating him mean not saying he sucks? Considering the title of this thread claims that Hightower is the worst LB in the league it seems like the negative people on this board are the ones that are being irrational.  I mean between this and mthurl calling him a fat, lazy P o S in another thread there doesn't seem to be a lot of "objectivity" coming from the people that claim they aren't homers like the rest of us.

[/QUOTE]

The title of the thread is pointing to a specific role of a linebacker not intending to discount the entire performance.  Although most of that is underwhelming too, for a first round pick.  He is learning and BB and Matty would not have him in there if he didn't show the ability , but I would suspect even they are expecting more.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

The title of the thread is pointing to a specific role of a linebacker not intending to discount the entire performance.  Although most of that is underwhelming too, for a first round pick.  He is learning and BB and Matty would not have him in there if he didn't show the ability , but I would suspect even they are expecting more.

I'm not saying Hightower is playing like an all-pro here, but its hard to believe he is worst in the league at anything.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well I dont agree totally with the O.P, in fact I said the title is misleading because he isnt used as a pass rusher, which maybe he should be. I would never make a statement like "he is worse in the league" but my statments this week arent reactionary cuz Ive noticed his lack of instincts last year but said it should improve when he trusts his eyes. It looked better with our whole D in tact but what does that mean? He just looked good on a great D but he is not a player yet?  maybe IDk yet, but so far he looks out of position not inside but as a backer in general. Id like to see him in position to think less and let him loose on the Qb.

In terms of the board overated him, how could you miss it. It seems folks only pick out bold predictions that are negative but let positive ones slip. Wozzy made a post about our D being # 1 and cited Hightower making a big leap as well as CJ. CJ has been better but he has had his struggles too. I normally wouldnt make a point to bash him but I saw lack of effort which is never acceptable imo. Thats how I see it. I still like him but he is overwhelmed with the green dot and maybe should play more on the line and give guys like Fletcher a look.   I just ask not to lump me in with others who offer expert analysis such as "he s*cks" or "he is the worst" that aint me. I offered details of my concerns in a rationale manner, I thought.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

It's not his weight...  it's his reaction time ...  his instincts ...  He is a step behind , in the wrong gap.  With his size and speed you expect him to USE IT.

Shoot that gap and hammer the QB...!  Be hungry. Be aggressive.  Spikes at least plays with that fire and aggression which makes up for the lack of footspeed  in a lot of situations. 

Would n't be complimenting a guy who runs down a Qb angling across the field, since he came right to him.  Also did he blow him up...?  no.   He arm tackled him . 

[/QUOTE]

This is why they went away form the run iMO. Early in the game, Spikes shoots the gap, gets inside the fullback and slams the Rb behind the line. Thats setting the tone and something I can respect. Do SOMETHING GOOD.I havent seen Hightower make ANY plays like that. He doesnt have to be able to cover but its no excuse to not have instints of the game at this stage vs the run and I wonder what he did at Alamaba now. maybe a product of great players around him, who knows but he aint who we thought he was.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In terms of the board overated him, how could you miss it. It seems folks only pick out bold predictions that are negative but let positive ones slip. Wozzy made a post about our D being # 1 and cited Hightower making a big leap as well as CJ. CJ has been better but he has had his struggles too.

That was a prediction.  I don't think predicting big things for a 2nd year player is overrating him, but whatever.  Overrating him imo would be making statements about how he is playing now (e.g. he is playing like an all-pro).  Btw I'm not saying you are being unfair with your criticisms.  I think he needs to play better as well, but I'm clearly not as disappointed with him as many are here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm not saying Hightower is playing like an all-pro here, but its hard to believe he is worst in the league at anything.

[/QUOTE]

Admit the titile is a bit extreme but hard to imagine anyone doing a worse job on the plays I was specifically pointing to.    There is a bit of pent up frustration built in there too since it is not the first time that his "style of play" has been noticeable.

I have given b.o.d  in many instnaces where I feel he is showing restraint or staying within himself which are beneficial in cases where over-extending can cause an injury perhaps...  you know...?   And he has stayed healthy , correct?   So the flip side is you can run around  through the motions and underperform and collect a paycheck and at the end of the day, there is no impact.  He reminds me a lot of ADAlius Thomas.  Good looking player but disappears on most plays, with the occasional highlight that justifies his position.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Admit the titile is a bit extreme but hard to imagine anyone doing a worse job on the plays I was specifically pointing to.    There is a bit of pent up frustration built in there too since it is not the first time that his "style of play" has been noticeable.

I have given b.o.d  in many instnaces where I feel he is showing restraint or staying within himself which are beneficial in cases where over-extending can cause an injury perhaps...  you know...?   And he has stayed healthy , correct?   So the flip side is you can run around  through the motions and underperform and collect a paycheck and at the end of the day, there is no impact.  He reminds me a lot of ADAlius Thomas.  Good looking player but disappears on most plays, with the occasional highlight that justifies his position.

[/QUOTE]

I still can't get to the point where I can really agree.  Without knowing what the guy's assignment(s) was/were how can you see he didn't do his job?  Did he miss on making a couple of plays?  Yes he did but so did Chandler Jones and I thought Jones played a good game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Best advice I can give is for him to watch film on Levon Kirkland.

Kirkland was a massive inside linebacker, just 6-1 but weighing anywhere from 275-300 pounds during his career. Yet he had great speed and agility for a big man. He became a starter at inside linebacker for the Steelers in his second season, 1993, replacing Pro Bowler David Little. By 1995, he was recognized as one of the top inside linebackers in the league, and had a stellar performance in Super Bowl XXX against the Dallas Cowboys at the end of the season. In that game, the Steelers defense held the Cowboys to just 15 first downs and Emmitt Smith and the Cowboys powerful running attack to just 56 yards, despite losing 27-17 in large part due to two key interceptions thrown by Steelers quarterback Neil O'Donnell. Kirkland had 10 tackles and a key sack of Dallas quarterback Troy Aikman.

That game and his outstanding 1996 season earned Kirkland his first trip to the Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors after the 1996 season. The Steelers had lost their emotional leader, outside linebacker Greg Lloyd, at the start of the season to a knee injury, but Kirkland took over the mantle of leadership. He also took over Lloyd's role in pass coverage as the only linebacker in the Steelers nickel defense. Opponents thought Kirkland would not be as adept in pass coverage as the fast Lloyd, but they quickly found out that Kirkland was just as fast and quick. He had four interceptions that season, a high number for an inside linebacker, to go along with four sacks and 114 tackles.

He made the Pro Bowl after the 1997 season as well, making a career-high and team-leading 126 tackles and career-high five sacks, as the Steelers went to the AFC Championship game (losing to the Denver Broncos). Although Kirkland played well in the next three seasons (1998-2000), the Steelers struggled on offense, and failed to make the playoffs, and Kirkland did not earn any more Pro Bowl berths despite his strong play

Career NFL statistics Tackles 1,029 Sacks 19.5 Interceptions 11 Forced fumbles 4

They sure dont make em' like they USED to. Get this guy in the film room and light a fire under his Bum! He HAS the talent, so whats Up!??!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hahaha! Love it...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wow.

[/QUOTE]

AHHHHH NO!

Do you even listen to PFW in progress?  Paul and the gang have been dogging Hightower for weeks.  I agree with Triple and I hardly EVER call out a particular player.  I've noticed him many, many times dogging it.  He is always standing around next to the play after it is over.  He jogs, not runs and even occasionally walks.   Maybe he's confused and misused but mostly he looks slow and lazy.

Truth

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

The guys on n.e tailgate(biggest homers) even called out hightower for taking bad angles to the ball and not husting to the ball. The thing is he has talent, but he isnt being used right. He actually looked better last year when he was outside and rushing the passer on 3rd downs, he had a couple of punishing sacks. Qbs are not gonna want to be hit by him, same as James Harrison.  He can play some DE in a 4-3 and some OLB in a 3-4 but he is NOT a middle linebacker in a 4-3 or a 3-4, strong or free. Put Fletcher there and let him loose on the QB please.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

The guys on n.e tailgate(biggest homers) even called out hightower for taking bad angles to the ball and not husting to the ball. The thing is he has talent, but he isnt being used right. He actually looked better last year when he was outside and rushing the passer on 3rd downs, he had a couple of punishing sacks. Qbs are not gonna want to be hit by him, same as James Harrison.  He can play some DE in a 4-3 and some OLB in a 3-4 but he is NOT a middle linebacker in a 4-3 or a 3-4, strong or free. Put Fletcher there and let him loose on the QB please.

[/QUOTE]

So then why take shots at the guy? He is molded for the mike vrabel role. Rush the passer, set the edge, drop back in the zone and get in passing lanes. Vrabel was also 270 pounds and played some emergency ILB, but didn't play it particularly well, ala Hightower.....so why are we starting threads that he is the worst or whatever other meaningless jargon has been spewed on this topic?

He is 270 freaking pounds. I think Bruschi was refering to being too heavy for the position Hightower was thrust into because one of the best ILB's in the game is on IR. This premise is as dumb as saying Ridley sux, or Nink sux, or Mayo sux, or DMC sux, or Brady sux, or BB sux. These are either statements made with an agenda to illicit reaction, or statements made of pure ignorance. In either case they are a waste of time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So then why take shots at the guy? He is molded for the mike vrabel role. Rush the passer, set the edge, drop back in the zone and get in passing lanes. Vrabel was also 270 pounds and played some emergency ILB, but didn't play it particularly well, ala Hightower.....so why are we starting threads that he is the worst or whatever other meaningless jargon has been spewed on this topic?

He is 270 freaking pounds. I think Bruschi was refering to being too heavy for the position Hightower was thrust into because one of the best ILB's in the game is on IR. This premise is as dumb as saying Ridley sux, or Nink sux, or Mayo sux, or DMC sux, or Brady sux, or BB sux. These are either statements made with an agenda to illicit reaction, or statements made of pure ignorance. In either case they are a waste of time.

[/QUOTE]

get off your soapbox for a minute and look at the plays that prompted the thread .   Analyze the play and explain what is going on and why the player is making this mistake.

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/11/patriots_take_2_three_game_cha.html?comments=all&ia=22113881

THis article explains it in a nicer way...  On the specific play I was talking about...  Example 1 (pictures) in the article.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ok, I see you got a few questions for me. Let me try to explain again. I did not start the thread , I only commented on it. I am not taking shots at anyone. I said the guy showed no effort which was echoed by experts. Do you think its ever good to not give effort? Is he hurt? idk, but without being on the report I cant say that for him.

Vrabel was never 270 lbs that I recall,  but Levon Kirkland was so I dont buy that he is too heavy. I guess you could say Im taking shots at BB since he decides where he plays. You speak of the Vrable role but thats not how he is being used and he doesnt have to be used inside with Fletcher here. I never said anyone s*x and I dont see how you can be too heavy to play ILB but not OLB. I dont agree. Please dont generalize my comments with those that were exxagerated. You can reply to those people instead of my posts. All Im saying is the way he is playing now, you may as well have him rush the passer which he showed up well doing last year but this year hasnt been allowed too. Collins was also a pass rusher who hasnt rushed yet this year. I mean it not like we need more pass rush right?