Hines Ward voted the dirtiest palyer in the league...Surprised?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Hines Ward voted the dirtiest palyer in the league...Surprised?

Well, it's official. Hines Ward has been voted the dirtiest player in the league. He received 11.6% of his peers votes for this honor.Like many other Pats fans I have known for years the kind of trash talking, cry baby, dirty players the Steelers have been putting out there such as Joey Porter and Hines Ward but now it's official. I almost think it's encouraged behavior out there.
    Anyone agree or disagree

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Hines Ward voted the dirtiest palyer in the league...Surprised?

Given the nature of football, and how I believe this "award" recognizes the player other players least like to line up against, I should think that "Dirtiest Player" is a compliment.

I shouldn't need to remind our many regulars that when Rodney Harrison carried this moniker, it was a source of pride among Pats fans.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Ask what Keith Rivers thinks. The NFL added a rule because of Hines dirty play.

Ward delivered one of the most memorable hits of last season when he decked Rivers with a block during Pittsburgh's 38-10 victory last October. Rivers, then a rookie starting his seventh NFL game, never saw it coming. The hit broke his jaw, ended his season and prompted a rules change outlawing high, blind-side hits.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Hines Ward voted the dirtiest palyer in the league...Surprised?:
    [QUOTE]Well, it's official. Hines Ward has been voted the dirtiest player in the league. He received 11.6% of his peers votes for this honor.Like many other Pats fans I have known for years the kind of trash talking, cry baby, dirty players the Steelers have been putting out there such as Joey Porter and Hines Ward but now it's official. I almost think it's encouraged behavior out there. Anyone agree or disagree
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]
    Missing Rodney, eh?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

You gotta be pretty Sh*tty to receive this award as an Offensive Receiver. Rodney on Defense.... He was supposed to HIT.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

From where and when did this notion that offensive players were not allowed to "hit back" come? 

This doesn't mean that Ward isn't dirty, but it is just ridiculous that there are defensive players willing to complain about crackback blocks when there is no shortage of Linebackers and DB's who are waiting for the day when they get to lay out a defenseless receiver over the middle.  

And I don't want to hear the "they know its coming" excuse.  If you are in the field of play and the ball is live you had better expect to get hit, and you better know your surroundings.  

ASO, you are right, it is pretty shit*y when an offensive player gets this award.  It makes tough defensive players look like babies.     

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Who, "Blindside hit Hines Ward"? 

The guy goes after the player that isn't paying attention, I would like to see him try to tackle Wilfork in a head-to-head collision. He clearly plays dirty.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

Thats a good point.  You never see him go after anybody that is prepared to deliver a blow back to him.  He looks for the player who will not see him coming.  Rodney was a safety, those guys new what they were getting into when they came across his portion of the field.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Hines Ward voted the dirtiest palyer in the league...Surprised?:
    [QUOTE]From where and when did this notion that offensive players were not allowed to "hit back" come?  This doesn't mean that Ward isn't dirty, but it is just ridiculous that there are defensive players willing to complain about crackback blocks when there is no shortage of Linebackers and DB's who are waiting for the day when they get to lay out a defenseless receiver over the middle.   And I don't want to hear the "they know its coming" excuse.  If you are in the field of play and the ball is live you had better expect to get hit, and you better know your surroundings.   ASO, you are right, it is pretty shit*y when an offensive player gets this award.  It makes tough defensive players look like babies.     
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

It's not about an offensive player making hits. It's about about an offensive player making dirty hits and chop blocks. Offensive players by the nature of the game get away with more sneaky dirty blocks because the refs aren't always paying attention away from the ball.

Yes, I do miss Harrison and if you remember his last knee injury was caused by a complete cheapshot from a wide receiver that dove right at his knees. Rodney hit hard and sometimes a little excessive but he didn't target knees.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Hines Ward voted the dirtiest palyer in the league...Surprised?:
    [QUOTE]Given the nature of football, and how I believe this "award" recognizes the player other players least like to line up against, I should think that "Dirtiest Player" is a compliment. I shouldn't need to remind our many regulars that when Rodney Harrison carried this moniker, it was a source of pride among Pats fans.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to argue with that but I'm not necessarily calling him out for being the dirtiest. I'm calling him out because that's all I've ever heard out of the Steelers everytime we kick their a$$es is that we have dirty players or we cheat or the refs $crewed them or the "Better Team didn't win". I'm just trying to make a point of the Hypocrisy on someone that really deserves it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Where is the full list?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Ask what Keith Rivers thinks. The NFL added a rule because of Hines dirty play. Ward delivered one of the most memorable hits of last season when he decked Rivers with a block during Pittsburgh's 38-10 victory last October. Rivers, then a rookie starting his seventh NFL game, never saw it coming. The hit broke his jaw, ended his season and prompted a rules change outlawing high, blind-side hits.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]
     Amen Roadking.. I was actually saving that incident for people that replied trying to defend Ward..You stole my thunder.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Where is the full list?
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

The list is in sports illustrated and I haven't seen the complete list yet but I know the Steelers had 2 guys in the top 10 ( The only team that did)..The 2nd being Troy Polamalu.

Here's a link to an article where Ward reacts to it..He is surprised that he finished ahead of Joey Porter.. He seems pretty proud of it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/05/hines-ward-reflects-on-dirtiest-player-label/

If I locate the complete list I'll post it but I'm not sure it's available yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Yeah, I am curious about how many of those receivers are prepared to take the hits they receive. 

My intent here is not to defend some of Ward's hits, but to suggest that tough talking defensive players sound like pus*ies when complaining about the unexpected hit they receive.  Do they not play on the same field as the offense?  Would they not hit an unsuspecting "defender" upon an interception?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I thought Rothlisberger was the Steeler's dirtiest player - he is always getting slammed into the muddy field, sack after sack.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Here is the top ten and how the Voting Broke down.
    Hines Ward (11.6 percent);

Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth (6.0);

Miami linebacker Joey Porter (6.0);

Cincinnati safety Roy Williams (5.1);

Tennessee center Kevin Mawae (4.6);(Complete Chopblock artist) 

Tennessee cornerback Cortland Finnegan (4.2);

St. Louis guard Richie Incognito (3.7);

Atlanta guard Harvey Dahl (3.7);(Dahl and Mawae must compare notes in the offseason) 

Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu (3.7);

Vikings defensive end Jared Allen received 3.2 percent

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, I am curious about how many of those receivers are prepared to take the hits they receive.  My intent here is not to defend some of Ward's hits, but to suggest that tough talking defensive players sound like pus*ies when complaining about the unexpected hit they receive.  Do they not play on the same field as the offense?  Would they not hit an unsuspecting "defender" upon an interception?
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]
    Yeah some of them do but you don't see too many Jack Tatum hits any more and when it happens those guys are fined huge and In some instances tossed right from the game. I don't have any use for DB's that close line defenseless receivers either. Point also being that for some reason that's how a lot of the receivers block all of the time and a serious knee injury from a $cumbag block can cost a defensive back enough speed to wreck his career.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]   And I don't want to hear the "they know its coming" excuse.  If you are in the field of play and the ball is live you had better expect to get hit, and you better know your surroundings.   Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

So based on this you agree the colts were complete fagalas for complaining about the Pats hitting them to hard and requesting rule changes???

Finally we agree on something

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]Here is the top ten and how the Voting Broke down. 
    Vikings defensive end Jared Allen received 3.2 percent

Allen is just a stud! Not dirty, just knock your socks of tough! If he were ours, we would love him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Josh McDaniels said Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward is the kind of player around whom franchises are built.

"He's one of those guys when you say tough, physical football player, his face is probably right there in the dictionary," the Denver Broncos coach said Wednesday.

Ward's peers say he's synonymous with more than just a physical brand of play, though.

A panel of 296 NFL players -- less than 18 percent of the players on active rosters -- voted Ward the dirtiest player in the league. The anonymous voting, which was conducted in September, will be printed in this week's edition of Sports Illustrated.

The (almost) dirty dozen
    In a Sports Illustrated poll on the NFL's dirtiest players, Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward won in a landslide. Here's a breakdown of the vote:
    PlayerTeamPos.Pct.
    Hines WardSteelersWR11.6
    Albert HaynesworthRedskinsDT6.0
    Joey PorterDolphinsOLB6.0
    Roy WilliamsBengalsS5.1
    Kevin MawaeTitansC4.6
    Cortland FinneganTitansCB4.2
    Harvey DahlFalconsG3.7
    Richie IncognitoRamsG3.7
    Troy PolamaluSteelersS3.3
    Jared AllenVikingsDE3.2
    296 players took part in the poll anonymously

Ward, widely considered the best blocking wide receiver in the game, got 11 percent of the vote, nearly doubling the amount cast for Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth and Dolphins outside linebacker Joey Porter, a former Steelers player.

"I beat Joey? Wow," Ward said, with a laugh. "How can I be the dirtiest player on the field -- a little, old wideout with no speed? I don't know whether to be happy or mad about it."

Ward wore a grin as wide as a jack-o'-lantern's as he answered questions following practice yesterday, suggesting he's more amused than anything by the dubious honor.

The 12-year veteran has routinely dealt with complaints that his physical play sometimes crosses a line. And last March, the NFL enacted what's commonly known as the "Hines Ward Rule," which penalizes the kind of crack-back blocks with which Ward used to break the jaw of Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers last season.

"I'm not going to change the way I play," said the 33-year-old Ward, who's fifth in the NFL with 602 receiving yards. "If people think I'm dirty, I apologize to them now."

Several of Ward's teammates said there's no need for the four-time Pro Bowler to apologize for the way he plays the game.

"By no shape, form or fashion do I consider Hines a dirty person," outside linebacker James Harrison said. "Those must be people who can't take a little bit of a crack-back block. I don't consider it dirty."

Added free safety Ryan Clark: "Other guys are such pansies now. When I play a guy like (Ward), I vote for that guy to go to the Pro Bowl."

Ward's reputation offers something of a contrast to all of the work he does away from the field. He was a finalist for the 2008 Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, which is given annually to the player that does the most for charity.

What surprised Ward and his teammates more than his spot atop the poll for dirtiest player was Troy Polamalu's inclusion in the top 10. The soft-spoken safety is ninth with 3.3 percent of the vote.

"Our Troy? Wow," Ward said. "Troy being on that list is definitely a shocker."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hines Ward voted the dirtiest palyer in the league...Surprised? : So based on this you agree the colts were complete fagalas for complaining about the Pats hitting them to hard and requesting rule changes??? Finally we agree on something
    Posted by gmbill[/QUOTE]
    Nope.  Rules are rules and they should be appropriately policed.  In the colts pats game they were not.  While I may have a problem with this, my beef has nothing to do with the Pats.  I have said here many times that a team plays a game and the refs call the game.  If the refs call the game incorrectly, that is not the fault of the team who benefits from it.  

Hines Ward can be dirty, but that doesn't mean that a clean hard hit on an unsuspecting player is dirty. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

If the voting is split evenly between offensive and defensive players, its easy to see how ward got this.  

If nearly an entire side of the football (defensive lbs and secondary) can rally around hatred for one guy because of a few of his crackbacks then the outcome seems obvious. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I would take Hines Ward on my team any day.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I hate this award.  I hate the idea of it.  Hines Ward has been a good reciever, and he blocks.  People get mad.  Whatever.  I respect him.  Rodney got this same award, its the "oh, boo hoo someone hit me" award.  !  And no, im not a steeler fan, i hate them.  Just because I like the Pats doesn't mean I hate other teams players.  i do that on an individual basis, only general hate on a team basis.  For instance, I will hate Joey Porter even if he plays for the pats next year.  cause he is a loudmouth jerk. I also think Peyton Manning is a good QB.  Because guess what, he is.  Still want to see him on his backside or raising his hands in the air after a pick,though.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hines Ward voted the dirtiest palyer in the league...Surprised? :  Amen Roadking.. I was actually saving that incident for people that replied trying to defend Ward..You stole my thunder.

Sorry dude, I saw this story a couple of days ago and instantly thought of the hit on Rivers....that 11.6% was probably the entire Bengal team voting for Hines(end)