Hobbs better than Springs, Bodden

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Hobbs better than Springs, Bodden

Why does everyone think our secondary is awesome now?  Shawn Springs is 34.  How good a CB can he be?  Leigh Bodden?  Never heard of him.  Wheatley and Wilhite are second year players.  Who knows if they're ready.  Butler is a rookie.  He'll be at the bottom of the depth chart until mid-season. 

Hobbs left for contract reasons, not performance.  None of the naysayers remember him pre-injury, in the 2006 playoffs, shutting down the Chargers' and Colts' wide receivers.  He got injured returning kickoffs in the 2007 season - cause we really needed the field position that season.  Why did we spend money on over-the-hillers Springs and Fred Taylor instead of locking up Hobbs? 

Unless Wheatley and Wilhite step up, this secondary ain't that good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Hobbs better than Springs, Bodden

Then that is more a testament to how bad you think Springs and Bodden are, rather than how good Hobbs was.  Hobbs was indeed a very good returner, but just an average back.  I will not jump on the bandwagon of people who thought he was terrible.  He was average as a back.  Nothing worse, nothing better.  The guy had heart and toughness, I'll give you that.  I wish him the best of luck, but I am glad to see a change.  I'll have faith in BB that the change is for the better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[QUOTE]Why does everyone think our secondary is awesome now?  Shawn Springs is 34.  How good a CB can he be?  Leigh Bodden?  Never heard of him.  Wheatley and Wilhite are second year players.  Who knows if they're ready.  Butler is a rookie.  He'll be at the bottom of the depth chart until mid-season.  Hobbs left for contract reasons, not performance.  None of the naysayers remember him pre-injury, in the 2006 playoffs, shutting down the Chargers' and Colts' wide receivers.  He got injured returning kickoffs in the 2007 season - cause we really needed the field position that season.  Why did we spend money on over-the-hillers Springs and Fred Taylor instead of locking up Hobbs?  Unless Wheatley and Wilhite step up, this secondary ain't that good.
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

They called Hobbs "Toast" for a reason. A blind retarhd in a wheelchair can cover better than him. That's why they let him go. I'm pretty sure the urge to kick him in the buttoks on the way out the door was present.Wink

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacksola. Show jacksola's posts

Hobbs is seeking more money than he is worth. With the new additions at cornerback he was going to see his role diminish in a contract year. Hobbs was not going to be a happy man here. While I'm not completely sold on all the new additions either, I do think this area has been upgraded. I liked Hobbs' effort, appreciate his service, but I will not miss him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BXBoston. Show BXBoston's posts

[QUOTE]Why does everyone think our secondary is awesome now?  Shawn Springs is 34.  How good a CB can he be?  Leigh Bodden?  Never heard of him.  Wheatley and Wilhite are second year players.  Who knows if they're ready.  Butler is a rookie.  He'll be at the bottom of the depth chart until mid-season.  Hobbs left for contract reasons, not performance.  None of the naysayers remember him pre-injury, in the 2006 playoffs, shutting down the Chargers' and Colts' wide receivers.  He got injured returning kickoffs in the 2007 season - cause we really needed the field position that season.  Why did we spend money on over-the-hillers Springs and Fred Taylor instead of locking up Hobbs?  Unless Wheatley and Wilhite step up, this secondary ain't that good.
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

Is this dude for real? I hate people posing as fake Pats fans. Hobbs? RU Kiddin me?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Hobbs was always playing hurt, thus he probably could have been a better player if he was healthy. 

Bodden was an excellent player when he was playing in a similar system in Cleveland, he had a bad year with the Lions (the black hole for any decent player).

Springs is still a good back and can play Safety....Belichick loves the versatile players.  

Both Springs and Bodden are bigger than Hobbs.....

Wheatley was injured last year and Wilhite was coming around and playing well...

Butler has had rave reviews.....we will see how he can do during the season.

Not to mention we are stacked at Safety, and Merryweather can play CB.

The fact that you can't see that we improved our secondary, puts your football knowledge into question....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Where is the PAT's experience in this secondary?  Merriweather?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]Where is the PAT's experience in this secondary?  Merriweather?
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

What do you mean?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

Mighty: Bodden had six interceptions in 2007 while playing for Romeo but was traded to Detroit in a deal that brought underachieving DT Shaun Rodgers to Cleveland. Bodden had a down year in 2008 with only one interception but the entire team stunk so its pretty fair to assume that he would perform more like he did in Cleveland than he did in Detroit based on better coaching and talent around him. He is 27 and has a ton of upside the Pats tried to sign him to a 4 yr 16+mil contract but he wanted a 1yr deal and then hit FA next year.

Underdogg: the experience is Sanders 4yr and Merriweather 3yr. Not only that but its not like the backfield has been really great in a few years so maybe an overhaul or purging is exactly what it need. A fresh new start with new position coaches and talent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

Mighty the thought also just came to me... had you heard of Vrabel, Phifer, Mankins. The Pats have struck gold with under the radar signings in the past. Heck even Welker was undervalued/underated. Antoine Smith and the list goes on... My point is name recognizability and performance are not the same... thats why some teams stink year after year but you know their players names.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

So you say Bodden isn't good because you haven't heard of him? 

Two years ago, Bodden was considered one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL.  Ocho Cinco himself called him the toughest cover corner he's ever gone against.  Just because YOU haven't heard of him doesn't mean he's not a good, or very good player.

I say he will easily be the best corner on the Pats this year, and btw, he's a much, much better cover guy than Hobbs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Bodden is a very good CB that played in a terrible system last year. Sanders has experience and Meriweather is in year three (usually a good year for Pats DBs). The big question could be who gets minutes at, say, LCB, is it Wheatley (not convinced) Wilhite (played better down the stretch) or will Butler impress in camp enough to earn a spot in the rotation. I could also see Chung leveling WRs over the middle by mid-season. By contrast, I think Springs is an injury waiting to happen, although he could see time as CB or FS.....or could be a nickel and dime guy. Right now thew only player that other teams would covet for their secondary is Bodden. Aside from Springs, Bodden and Sanders all of these players are still relatively young and inexperienced. The expectations on Meriweather will be higher this year (unless you're one of those idiots that thought he'd morph into Ed Reed his rookie season). Bodden is flat out better than Hobbs and as indicated competition will be fierce for the other corner spot.  And we still have Sanders and Meriweather at SS and FS, respectively.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

From what I see Bodden had one good year (2007).  But he's signed to a one year deal.  Springs got a 3 year deal but how good will he be when he's 35 and 36?  We got rid of Hobbs because he'd be gone in a year anyway, but so will Bodden and effectively Springs.  Why not lock up Hobbs instead?

I heard it the other way - Bodden wanted a long term contract but the Pats only wanted a one year deal.  If that's the case, the Pats appear to want a lot of contracts to expire after 2009 so they can go all-out in the uncapped 2010.  If that's their plan, I'm looking forward to the next off-season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I think the jury is still out on Merriweather, if not with all of you then at least with Belichick.  He's is a first round pick that could not take a spot from 36 yr old Rodney way past his prime Harrison.  

Maybe that is why he drafted Chung.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]Bodden is a very good CB that played in a terrible system last year. Sanders has experience and Meriweather is in year three (usually a good year for Pats DBs). The big question could be who gets minutes at, say, LCB, is it Wheatley (not convinced) Wilhite (played better down the stretch) or will Butler impress in camp enough to earn a spot in the rotation. I could also see Chung leveling WRs over the middle by mid-season. By contrast, I think Springs is an injury waiting to happen, although he could see time as CB or FS.....or could be a nickel and dime guy. Right now thew only player that other teams would covet for their secondary is Bodden. Aside from Springs, Bodden and Sanders all of these players are still relatively young and inexperienced. The expectations on Meriweather will be higher this year (unless you're one of those idiots that thought he'd morph into Ed Reed his rookie season). Bodden is flat out better than Hobbs and as indicated competition will be fierce for the other corner spot.  And we still have Sanders and Meriweather at SS and FS, respectively.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

And the hard hitting rookie Chung is also an option at safety.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from grego84. Show grego84's posts

let belichick do his job...im pretty sure he knows more about personnel than we do

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

Under if Merriweather continues to develop then he will be one of the top safeties in the league. Look at how his 2 years have gone so far. The first year the Pats had him learning every spot in the backfield because they were unsure if Samuel was gonna play and they knew wilson was only gonna be healthy for a handful of plays this caused Merriweather to have a dificult time learning his playbook. That is more than understandable given the tasks that the Pats were asking for out of a rookie. With that in mind he was still in position to make plays during the season but dropped at least 5 easy interceptions, he really came on during the end of 07. The second year he learned how to catch the ball and made a few key interceptions not to mention 2 perfectly timed blitz's that resulted in strip sacks. The knock on Merriweather during last season was wrapping up and finishing tackles instead of going for big hits. If he gets stronger and better at tackling then he will be a great safety. Last season he didn't miss a play after Rodney went out for the year. Mike Reiss tracks the defensive snaps by players and commented many times on how he was an iron man in terms of playing time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

Mighty: the discrepancy was that Bodden wanted a bigger contract than the deal that the Pats offered and when no team offered him a contract he like he thought that he was worth then he went back to the Pats and agreed to a 1 year deal to reprove to the league his worth and then hit FA again with hopes of cashing in. Now that might not sound like the a Patriot type of player but in reality a guy motivated is still a guy motivated.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]let belichick do his job...im pretty sure he knows more about personnel than we do
    Posted by grego84[/QUOTE]

Trust me I am nowhere near Gillette Stadium and am not in BB's way.  Just trying to stir things up cause this board is even more boring than work.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

I hear ya mighty I don't even normally post but theres nothing new or worth reading...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Ellis 12 yards off the line Hobbs is, was and will always be a horrible CB.  He's a midget with absolutely no ability to play the position.  Thank God he's gone.  Thankfully BB finally saw what most of us common folk seen years ago.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

bodden only wanted a one year deal.because he quoted that he wants to prove how good he is.which means if he has a heck of a year/he is gonna want some good money.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

[QUOTE]I think the jury is still out on Merriweather, if not with all of you then at least with Belichick.  He's is a first round pick that could not take a spot from 36 yr old Rodney way past his prime Harrison.   Maybe that is why he drafted Chung.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Underdogg

I actually think Meriweather came on last year and made a big leap from the year before.  Belichick has said as much about his improvement.  If you're looking for him to be the next Ed Reed, I'd agree that he is no Reed, but how many safeties are in that class?  Comparing Meriweather to Rodney or Chung is apples to oranges because those guys play in the box to support the run and check TE's and RB's while Meriweather is more of a free safety with ball skills that can cover like another corner out there.  If Chung steps in Meriweather will move back to FS, where he belongs.  And Rodney was close to the same Rodney until his latest injury.  I didn't see that much of a dropoff.  

As to the original post, I liked Hobbs as a returner and a nickel corner but I think the Pats could do better than to have him as a starter, especially considering all the injuries, the salary and expectations about his next contract. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Our starting cb's consisted of Hobbs and Delta O'Neil. Their backups were two rookies. You don't think this years secondary will be better?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Underdogg, right now, Meriweather is the rock of the secondary.  There is no way Chung was taken to in any way replace Meriweather.  They will both be cornerstones of this defense for a long time.

In terms of Harrison, he was still playing at a high level, and Meriweather was still learning the game.  In the second half of 2008, when Rodney was out, Meriweather became an impact player...not a good player, impact.  Creating 6 turnovers from the safety position in your second year in the league, including 2 game-savers, is huge.