HOF for Willie Mac??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

HOF for Willie Mac??

I certainly think he was a dominant enough player....and the 3 rings dont hurt either....Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: HOF for Willie Mac??

He's in the Bledsoe category I think. A longshot but maybe not quite as long as Drew.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

If Im not mistaken he also is the playoff sack leader at 16...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

No way, too many years hurt and too many years of getting average sack numbers. He's a legend around here for his last four solid years in Belichick's system and the way he mugged Faulk in that Super Bowl, but to me it's nowhere near enough to go to the Hall of Fame. Good player, tall, long arms, and athletic, but to me the numbers aren't there for him. I'd love to have a guy like him on the team right now (and maybe Chndler is it), but I don't think he goes into the hall.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Im not mistaken he also is the playoff sack leader at 16...

[/QUOTe

I didn't know this - thanks. He certainly stepped up in the big games - could use that with this team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Ok, so we've got Willie McG being proferred as a potential HoF player.  This brings up an interesting question regarding the Pats and other potential HoF players that have been on the roster during this decade+ of success.  I am referring to players in which their careers are defined by their play while on the Patriots.  Who could we name to this point?

Brady - slam dunk

BB - slam dunk

Welker - too short of a success span?

Mankins - good chance, but a long shot?

Wilfork - good chance

Bruschi - great team leader, but an elite line backer to be in the HoF?

Branch - played multiple roles, long shot?

Who else bubbles to the surface of your grey matter?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Hall of Very good, Patriots hall of fame, but not the Hall of Fame.

He was never really considered one of the premiere players in the league.

I'm not sure too many football people outside of New England really knew who he was.

Yes, he is the all time sack leader. But he also played in 17 games (still a good sack to games played ratio). So him being the all time sack leader isn't like he completely dominated games, it's moreso that he got a ton of opportunities.

Very good player. Not a hall of famer in my opinion though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Ok, so we've got Willie McG being proferred as a potential HoF player.  This brings up an interesting question regarding the Pats and other potential HoF players that have been on the roster during this decade+ of success.  I am referring to players in which their careers are defined by their play while on the Patriots.  Who could we name to this point?

Brady - slam dunk

BB - slam dunk

Welker - too short of a success span?

Mankins - good chance, but a long shot?

Wilfork - good chance

Bruschi - great team leader, but an elite line backer to be in the HoF?

Branch - played multiple roles, long shot?

Who else bubbles to the surface of your grey matter?

Welker is a long shot. If it took Cris Carter this long, I would have to guess it would take Welker longer. Moss and T.O. are the surefire guys to get in during this era. Fitz's numbers are dipping because of his QB situation, but I think people will recognize that he deserves to get in. Chad Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall are among some of the WRs who will be HOF eligible around the time Welker is. It's going to be tough for some of these WRs.

Mankins has a chance. I don't know if you can define it as a good chance. He's definitely been a good LG, but the team hasn't really missed a beat when he's been out of the lineup. Can't say he's been a huge difference maker. 

Wilfork deserves to get in and I think he does. Don't think he'll be first ballot though.

Bruschi is a no. Pats HoFer but not an NFL Hofer

Branch has had no 1000 yard season and only two seasons over 800 yards. Also hasn't had over 5 TDs in a single season. Don't even know how you could consider him on the bubble. Having two good games (even if they are in the Super Bowl) doesn't earn you a ticket to the HoF.

Harrison and Seymour will get in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Maybe Assante Samuel???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The 3/4 system employed by BB doesn't help his player's HOF chances, they eschewed stats to win.  Willie Mac was as dominant a 3/4 end the league ever saw, but too often his impact was a QB pressure or creating a shadow in front of the QB that resulted in an INT downfield.  His post season success should be taken into account but won't be.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Adam V. Moss.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

They have to hand out some Yellow Jackets to at least a few players from those 3 Super Bowl teams.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

He wont make it in. Its tough to get in the Hall of Fame as it is but he only went to two pro bowls and never was all pro. Many of the people who vote on that also vote on the Hall of Fame.  Definitely Patriots hall of fame. I'd say that Brady, Belichick and maybe Adam  make it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Matt Light is a lock

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Ty Law