Holmes Deal a Steal For Jets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Holmes Deal a Steal For Jets

No matter how you slice it, giving up the 155th pick in the upcoming draft for pro-bowl caliber WR, Santonio Holmes, is a steal for the Jets...even if it's only a 12 game rental: http://www.examiner.com/x-779-New-York-Jets-Examiner~y2010m4d12-Jets-steal-Holmes-from-Pittsburgh 

While I understand that the Rooney's wanted to make a "statement" with this move...did they really have to trade him immediately, and to an AFC contender? I have to think that other teams would have given up a higher pick than #155 overall, had they been given the chance. I don't understand the great urgency to do a deal immediately. Considering that management could have gotten more for Holmes had they attempted to solicit offers, their insistence on dealing him immediately hurt their team.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Re: Holmes Deal a Steal For Jets

It definitely seems like a steal on the surface.  But with reports that they were ready to outright release him, there has to be something to the fact that he is a distraction for a team.  Also, the fact that they only got a 5th round pick tells us that 30 other teams were not willing to give up even a 4th round pick for the guy, so he has a really bad reputation around the league. I highly doubt they pulled the trigger without at least asking the other teams first.  Maybe if they had waited they could have gotten more, but I'm sure teams just weren't ready to give up much at the moment.

That being said, Holmes is definitely talented, and the Jets might have caught lightning in a bottle.  The Jets seem like the biggest "boom or bust" team I can remember in recent years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

No telling whether or not this is just cya speak but apparently there was not a great deal of interest

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/12/steelers-called-everyone-regarding-santonio-trade/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

A Pittsburgh Steelers beat guy/columnist was on the airwaves today around lunchtime saying that the Steelers were gonna cut Holmes but were very happy to get a pick for him.  He basically said that the Steelers were ready to can him because he is a malcontent and was of questionable character.  The Jets get another talented guy who is a sandwich or two short of a picnic.       

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Chris Mortensen thinks this trade is big for the Jets.  He puts the Jets in the top 4 teams most likely to win next year's Superbowl. 

Great offensive line, great offense...  very good defense.  Man for man they have us beaten by quite a wide margin. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I'm glad to see Woody Johnson taking another loser drug addicts on his team while he disowns his own daughter and lets her die.  POS owner, coach an organization.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

In Response to Re: Holmes Deal a Steal For Jets:
    I'm glad to Woody Johnson taking another loser drug addicts on his team while he disowns his own daughter and lets her die.  POS owner, coach an organization.
    Posted by Tcal2

Life is cruel sometimes.  One more special won-ton soup
    for our gangrenous friends!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Illmatic1. Show Illmatic1's posts

It's an absolute steal. Rex Ryan probably had some information about the Steelers getting ready to release Holmes and he went for the kill. As much as I hate the dude, he's very aggressive and gets what he wants. I wish we took that approach but BB has pulled of some great moves as well. I think we should make another move for Marshall for one of our 2nd rounders before the Seahawks jump on it with their 2nd rounder (60th).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

yeah, wonder how ryan loves that "wake n bake"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

This one was a weird deal! I think there would be several team that would have parted with a 3rd round pick to get a Super MVP WR. I guess in this uncapped year, we get a good look at what would happen to this league if New York teams could spend whatever they wanted. I guess alot of teams and fans hated see us get Ted Washington, Corey Dillon and Randy Moss on the cheap.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

For some reason, the Pats have ceased to be aggressive...both in off-season maneuvers, and on the field. I can't understand why the Patriots did not pick up a WR through free agency. They have a gaping hole at 3rd WR. With Welker out, that's a need that must be filled...or Randy Moss will be seeing the constant double-teaming that grounded him last year.

There's no excuse for them not being more aggressive on the free agency front, in an uncapped year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Why not make a move for a WR yet? 

They either have their eyes on WRs in the draft or a trade.  They did make an attempt for Boldin until his price tag went too high. Boldin did not met their long range plans for a speed WR. The man who really meets their needs in a trade is Marshall. Marshall likely dealt during the draft.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Why not make a move for a WR yet?  They either have their eyes on WRs in the draft or a trade.  They did make an attempt for Boldin until his price tag went too high. Boldin did not met their long range plans for a speed WR. The man who really meets their needs in a trade is Marshall. Marshall likely dealt during the draft.
    Posted by croc

BS...this is a no cap year. There's no excuse for the Pats sitting on their hands while the Ravens, the team that embarrassed them on their home field in the play-offs, and the Jets, their top divisional rival, took steps to improve. What WR do the Pats hope to get in the draft that could be as good as Anquan Boldin, or Santonio Holmes? Dez Bryant?? Even assuming he was available at #22, would you want to see the Pats use their 22nd overall pick on a WR...instead of using it to improve their weak defense?

Please stop with the Brandon Marshall fantasies. There's no way Bob Kraft wants him. Besides, would you like to see the Pats trade their 22nd overall pick for him? How about even a 2nd rounder? Then, the Pats would have to sign him...and he wants huge dollars. Do you want to see the Pats invest millions in Marshall...who hasn't seen a woman who he doesn't want to smack? 

Why do you think Josh McDaniels wants to unload Marshall? If McDaniels doesn't want him, what makes you think that BB will?  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Holmes will help for one year. It is the last year of his deal. He will be asking for the moon. Add that to his attitude and you get a 5th rd choice

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

According to Mortenson Pittsburgh shopped him all over the league, including to the Pats and Dolphins, and the Jets were the only taker.  What does that tell you about this guy? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

ok i know alot of people know his name so the concensus is to panic but people the most Tds he's ever caught is 8... his breakout season was this past season after ben started focusing on him more... if he only managed 79 catches 1248yrds and 5 Tds with a Qb with the tendency to hold the ball and improvise.... julian edelman a former QB in his first season as a WR had 3 TDs last year that's only 2 less than santonio...  wes welker had 123 catches 1348 yards and 4 Tds(holmes cant even hold a candle to that production even with 1 more Td) randy moss caught only 4 more passes than santonio for 1264 yrds and 13 tds!!!!... he's not holding a candle to anyone on our squad exception being edleman who before last year was a QB.... now take into account the jets are a run first team with an inept QB and i dont get what all the panic is about... His production is going to be heavily reduced because 1. he's missing 4 games 2. the jets are going to run run and run some more and 3. sanchez cant keep a play alive as long as roethlisberger

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

OK, so Mortenson says this guy puts the Jets in strong contention to win the S/B and at the same time reports that nobody else in the league wanted him.  I get that the guy is talented and probably improves the Jets passing game.  But if the guy is such a malcontent that the Steelers organization (one of the most highly regarded in the league) wanted to dump him then I fail to see how he puts the Jets over the top.  I'd also be surprised if the Rex Ryan show is as impressive defensively this year as it was last. 

I am also having difficulty grasping why BB is taking such heat in this forum STILL over the free agency issue.  He retained the guys he should have retained and appears to have made fair value offers (from the Pats perspective) on the others in which he had an interest. 

On to the draft.  Let's see how the arm chair draft gurus second guess the Pats selections.  I've got the popcorn waiting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Holmes Deal a Steal For Jets : You do realize this is the deepest draft in over 20 years, correct?

RERSPONSE: Yeah...and your point is?? What does that have to do with the Jets  giving up the 155th pick overall for Holmes?? The draft is deep...but not that deep. The Pats had several high picks last year. Other than Vollmer, did any of them make a significant impact? 

This is not a steal unless the Jets win the SB this year, which we know is not going to happen. It's solid value on a one year rental if it gets them into the playoffs and puts them in a position for a run. But, a new system, new QB, and 4 games missed for what will end up being 4th rd value is not "a steal".

RESPONSE: Nonsense. ure, if Holmes gets' hurt or succks, its' a bad deal. But he's a pro-bowl quality WR. The naysayers said the same things about the Randy Moss trade. How did that turn out?

Randy Moss for a 4th is a steal. Pitt couldn't wait to get rid of the cancer and the thug belongs in NY with all the other immature thugs they brought in.  What will Brandon Marshall be for a second rounder?

RESPONSE: If you bothered to read my post above, you'd know that I don't favor bringing in Marshall...and certainly not for a 2nd round pick, in what is, as you say, a deep draft. 
    Posted by russgriswold

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Apparently, a writer for the Dolphins are asking the same questions that I am about the Pats...,why aren't they being more aggressive?: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/12/1576000/miami-dolphins-mostly-folding.html

Had the Pats sign Anquan Boldin, they wouldn't have to worry about using a pick on a WR, to fill their huge hole, opposite Randy Moss 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

In Response to Re: Holmes Deal a Steal For Jets :      BS...this is a no cap year. There's no excuse for the Pats sitting on their hands while the Ravens, the team that embarrassed them on their home field in the play-offs, and the Jets, their top divisional rival, took steps to improve. What WR do the Pats hope to get in the draft that could be as good as Anquan Boldin, or Santonio Holmes? Dez Bryant?? Even assuming he was available at #22, would you want to see the Pats use their 22nd overall pick on a WR...instead of using it to improve their weak defense?      Please stop with the Brandon Marshall fantasies. There's no way Bob Kraft wants him. Besides, would you like to see the Pats trade their 22nd overall pick for him? How about even a 2nd rounder? Then, the Pats would have to sign him...and he wants huge dollars. Do you want to see the Pats invest millions in Marshall...who hasn't seen a woman who he doesn't want to smack?       Why do you think Josh McDaniels wants to unload Marshall? If McDaniels doesn't want him, what makes you think that BB will?  
    Posted by TexasPat3

Marshall is much more the type receiver they need than is Boldin.  The Pats need a deep threat WR, which Marshall is.   

He will likely be dealt for a second rounder during the draft, which the Pats have 3 of.

Holmes makes him look like a virtual choir boy. But yes they'd need to have some type of assurances he'd be a better citizen.  Some think if he gets his long term deal in another situation it's quite possible he will be much improved person.

He doesn't want to stay in Denver. 

Will he likely come to NE?  No, but it's far from being a fantasy.

ETA - The Pats would have had to part with a 2nd rounder for Boldin.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Holmes Deal a Steal For Jets : Marshall is much more the type receiver they need than is Boldin.

RESPONSE: I think that Marshall is extremely talented...but he''s an airhead. Boldin is more disciplined, tough, runs betters routes, and by all accounts is a leader in the locker room. He'd be the perfect compliment to Randy Moss.

The Pats need a deep threat WR, which Marshall is.

RESPONSE: Moss is their deep threat WR. Besides, Boldin's career stats compare favorably to Marshall's: http://www.nfl.com/players/anquanboldin/careerstats?id=BOL283010; http://www.nfl.com/players/brandonmarshall/careerstats?id=MAR370922 

He will likely be dealt for a second rounder during the draft, which the Pats have 3 of.

RESPONSE: Had the Pats signed Boldin, they wouldn't hhave to use one of their three second rounders on a WR. Instead, they could use it to solidify their weak  defense, or their overrated OL. Plus...Marshall wants a ton of dough. 

Holmes makes him look like a virtual choir boy.

RESPONSE: Oh really? You have a short memory, my friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Marshall (check the section entitled "legal trouble")

But yes they'd need to have some type of assurances he'd be a better citizen.  Some think if he gets his long term deal in another situation it's quite possible he will be much improved person. He doesn't want to stay in Denver.  Will he likely come to NE?  No, but it's far from being a fantasy.

RESPONSE: No way Bob Kraft or BB will invest in this knucklehead.

ETA - The Pats would have had to part with a 2nd rounder for Boldin.

RESPONSE: Would I want the Pats to invest a 5th rounder for a one year rental/trial period on the guy, if the deal were offered? Sure. But...to invest a 2nd rounder and big bucks...hell no.
    Posted by croc

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Moss is the deep threat this year.  Boldin catches mid-short range passes and had tons of YAC.  Not quite the same as Welker, but he's not a deep threat.  Marshall could be the deep threat going forward.

Well Boldin would have cost a second rounder.

Niether of us is is Kraft or BB and neither knows what the Pats brain trust thinks of him. 

Pittsburgh was prepared to dump Holmes for nada.  He's a dingaling  beyond Marshall and many others. Denver will get at least a 2nd rounder for Marshall.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In Response to Holmes Deal a Steal For Jets:
         No matter how you slice it, giving up the 155th pick in the upcoming draft for pro-bowl caliber WR, Santonio Holmes, is a steal for the Jets...even if it's only a 12 game rental: http://www.examiner.com/x-779-New-York-Jets-Examiner~y2010m4d12-Jets-steal-Holmes-from-Pittsburgh        While I understand that the Rooney's wanted to make a "statement" with this move...did they really have to trade him immediately, and to an AFC contender? I have to think that other teams would have given up a higher pick than #155 overall, had they been given the chance. I don't understand the great urgency to do a deal immediately. Considering that management could have gotten more for Holmes had they attempted to solicit offers, their insistence on dealing him immediately hurt their team.      Thoughts?
    Posted by TexasPat3

Well, it's been speculated for a time that this was going to happen.  If a team wanted to get in on a trade I think they would have done so and not waited for him to become free.  The Steelers got what they could for him plain and simple.

There must be a lot of bad news on the guy.  Prison time can make a guy wake up in a hurry though, a pain in the butt no more.  If the Jets did do anything in FA this is it but it still remains to be seen how fast Holmes comes back.  Very much a high risk, high reward type of thing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

they got a big talent and a big headache for very little. but any team could have had him for the same deal, and i really wish he didnt go to the jets. he'll help them win some late season games this year, no doubt. he'll end up in trouble again eventually, but in the short run, the guy can play. i wish he ended up someplace else (but not here).