Homers/Ostrich Society Members, Take Heed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Homers/Ostrich Society Members, Take Heed

Hey you homers, and esteemed members of the Ostrich Society...it's put up or shut up time for the Patriots. This team has blown hot and cold for most of the season...starting off slow, and, seemingly, until the last two weeks, finishing with a kick. Their slow start will likely cost them a playoff bye, and require them to beat their old nemesis, "The Horseface", in Denver.

Just how good are these Patriots? According to the Ostrich Society, they are the NFL's best team. Yet, the Pats haven't won a championship since 2004. They have become the NFL's answer to MLB's Atlanta Braves of the 90s.

With Tom Brady now 35 years old, their window of opportunity is closing. It's time for them to cut out the poor OL play and inconsistencies, and GET IT DONE. SB, or bust. NO EXCUSES are acceptable: http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20121229-it-s-put-up-or-shut-up-time-for-patriots.ece

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: Homers/Ostrich Society Members, Take Heed

Add another

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Add another

[/QUOTE]

If the Patriots are to join or overtake the likes of the Steelers, Cowboys, and 49ers as the team that had the greatest era...they must win that elusive 4th Lombardi this season. Winning that 4th SB would also serve to cement Tom Brady's legacy as the greatest QB of all-time.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Just a thought. T.B. is a great Q.B, undoubtedly one of the greatest. He is a great competitor but he is human. I think that as he is getting older and coming closer to he end of his career his desire to win another S.B.may be putting pressure on him and that may account for his less than expected performances in both the playoff against the Ravens and in the S.B.  We  will see how he does this year.

Opinions?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I'd say a more apt comparison for the Patriots since 2007 is that they're essentially the Colts of the Peyton Manning era.  They play great during season, then get stopped in the playoffs when push comes to shove.  IE, they get pushed and shoved around by strong defenses.

I'm hoping they are able to get things done this year...but based on how they are built and how the teams that beat them DID beat them, I'm not sure it's really going to change. 

BUT THAT'S WHY THEY PLAY THE GAMES.....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  :)

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Wow, since 2004.  That must be some sort of record.  That's seven seasons without winning a Super Bowl.  I'll bet every other team has won at least 3 or 4 Super Bowls since then.  You've shown me the light Tex, I will from here on out some my days b1tching and whining about this team

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

14 teams,

Minnesota Vikings (0-4)
    Buffalo Bills (0-4)
    Cincinnati Bengals (0-2)
    Philadelphia Eagles (0-2)
    Tennessee Titans (0-1)
    San Diego Chargers (0-1)
    Atlanta Falcons (0-1)
    Carolina Panthers (0-1)
    Arizona Cardinals (0-1)
    Seattle Seahawks (0-1)
    Cleveland Browns
    Houston Texans
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Detroit Lions

have never won a Super Bowl. The Browns, Texans, Jaguars and Lions have never even played in one.

It's more fun being a homer than a downer.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'd almost think its  bredbru as gloom and doom as he is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd say a more apt comparison for the Patriots since 2007 is that they're essentially the Colts of the Peyton Manning era.  They play great during season, then get stopped in the playoffs when push comes to shove.  IE, they get pushed and shoved around by strong defenses.

I'm hoping they are able to get things done this year...but based on how they are built and how the teams that beat them DID beat them, I'm not sure it's really going to change. 

BUT THAT'S WHY THEY PLAY THE GAMES.....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  :)

[/QUOTE]

Kind of. Except the Pats lost 2 SBs and another AFCC. Manning and those Colts only ever got to 1.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think until the defense plays better (or is better) we will continue to get puched in the face by more physical teams in the playoffs. Last year we had a bye and played a Denver Bronco team that shouldn't of been there. Then we run into an offensiveless Ravens team, before getting beat up by a good defensive team. We have to be almost perfect on offense to win right now and that realisticly isn't going to happen through 3 playoff games...it just isn't.

When you walk away from this board and have a discussion about the Patriots with normal fans, they tell you how bad this defense is - yet when you come on here, it's an ascending defense that is young and exciting. This place is a microcosm of what is happening, the rest of the world watches this team and would kill for a Tom Brady and this offense...not here...here it's his fault. It makes me laugh so hard that sometimes I fart:(

Really I do think the defense has improved a bit and hopefully will be peaking heading into that first playoff game, but in the end I just think they're not good enough. Weren't good enough last year when they couldn't get off the field all game vs the Giants. Weren't good enough the year before when they couldn't get within shouting distance of Sanchez and let him pick them apart. The year before they got punched in the face from the moment the game began - until it thankfully ended against the Ravens (at home). This year it could be Peyton Manning standing back there all comfy for what seems like an eternity, picking apart our secondary.

I hope I'm wrong, but that's the way I see it and in the end people will be calling for Brady's head because he threw one interception or didn't go 25 for 25 with 4 touchdowns against a number one rated defense. It's laughable.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think until the defense plays better (or is better) we will continue to get puched in the face by more physical teams in the playoffs. Last year we had a bye and played a Denver Bronco team that shouldn't of been there. Then we run into an offensiveless Ravens team, before getting beat up by a good defensive team. We have to be almost perfect on offense to win right now and that realisticly isn't going to happen through 3 playoff games...it just isn't.

When you walk away from this board and have a discussion about the Patriots with normal fans, they tell you how bad this defense is - yet when you come on here, it's an ascending defense that is young and exciting. This place is a microcosm of what is happening, the rest of the world watches this team and would kill for a Tom Brady and this offense...not here...here it's his fault. It makes me laugh so hard that sometimes I fart:(

Really I do think the defense has improved a bit and hopefully will be peaking heading into that first playoff game, but in the end I just think they're not good enough. Weren't good enough last year when they couldn't get off the field all game vs the Giants. Weren't good enough the year before when they couldn't get within shouting distance of Sanchez and let him pick them apart. The year before they got punched in the face from the moment the game began - until it thankfully ended against the Ravens (at home). This year it could be Peyton Manning standing back there all comfy for what seems like an eternity, picking apart our secondary.

I hope I'm wrong, but that's the way I see it and in the end people will be calling for Brady's head because he threw one interception or didn't go 25 for 25 with 4 touchdowns against a number one rated defense. It's laughable.

[/QUOTE]

Whats funny to me is that you want the defense to get tougher but never wanted the offense to toughen up... why shouldnt the offense be able to execute in crunchtime, how is a finesse offense OK, why the double standard?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Because points still win games and the offense is first in the NFL in points scored and the defense is 17th in points given up.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Again, how does the offense scoring zero points, turning the ball over once and ending the game with three straight dropped passes in the 4th quarter of the last Super Bowl an example of "toughness?"

Our offense got punched in the face, our offense was soft... no longer.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Funny how last year it was all about points for Wozzy and now it isn't . . . 

But sure, the offense could be tougher.  Mostly, I'm afraid, it's the offensive line that needs to toughen up.  It's surely not the playcalling this year or the run-pass balance.  Nor is it the use of the shotgun or spread formations or the lack of I-formation runs or too much subbing of running backs.  Nor is it Brady.  The real place for the offense to improve is in blocking (especially when Gronk isn't there). The offense stalls primarily when the blocking breaks down.  Same as in the past two Super Bowls. 

Still, the offense is first in the NFL in points scored, first in yards per game, first in first downs made,  first in third downs made.  The offense isn't a problem.  You can win a championship with this offense if the defense plays well. 

As far as the defense, it is much, much better this year than last year  But it still is middle of the pack and still vulnerable to big plays, especially with Talib and Dennard out. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's based on a cumulative total and average.   Again, I don't care if Brady shreds a bunch of average or bad Ds in the regular season. It doesn't mean jack squat, as we've seen since 2007. 

You're better than that. It doesn't matter where you're ranked.  SD had a #1 offense a few years back and then sucked again against better comp. in the postseason.

THAT, right there, was our problem last postseason and in 2007, for example, each our last 2 SB appearances where the offense forgot to show up.

Enough, dude.

Seriously. Let's just hope the offense you love so much in the regular season tunes it up today and shows up this postseason.  It will be BEYOND ugly if Brady chokes again this postseason. I don't want that, nor do you.

[/QUOTE]

Let's hope we have Gronk fully healthy, because that makes all the difference.  Without Gronk, this offense is a lot less effective than with him.  It's been demonstrated clearly last year in the Super Bowl and over the last few games this year. 

Gronk helps the run game with his blocking and the pass game both with blocking and receiving.  Take him out and the offense really suffers.  

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.