How about Arrelious Benn?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

How about Arrelious Benn?

Everyone is stuck on Dez Bryant right now, and the chance of him even being there at 22 is very slim. He isn't the smartest player, and reminds me a little of T.O. I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled a Crabtree and held out half the season either.

How about Arrelious Benn in the second round? This kid can play. He ran a 4.48 at the combine and a 4.4 at his pro day. He's 6'2, 220 lbs, strong, fast, and can help out in various aspects of the game.

"Benn had a disappointing 2009, due mostly to frequent double teams by opposing secondaries and underwhelming quarterback play. Benn has all the physical tools to be an All-Pro wide receiver in the NFL, but will have to work on sharpening his route running if he wants to succeed on the next level." -FF toolbox scouting report

With a year learning route running from Holt and Moss I don't think that should be a huge issue. From what I know he isn't a trouble maker either. He seems like a very solid pick in the second. Here's a highlight video of him. Skip the first 30 seconds or so because there's a long intro with no highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99YXtr4teGs&feature=fvst

Make sure you at least watch the last highlight in that highlight reel.

If the Pats don't get him I would be very happy with Eric Decker. He's a good possession receiver and great route runner. He isn't the fastest, but he's a great blocker and can get open. He's 6'3, so he'd also be good in the red zone and against shorter CBs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

Re: How about Arrelious Benn?

I agree with your post.  Benn would be a solid pickup for us in the second round.  I'm still not sure on Dez Bryant.  He has no off the field issues but he could get lazy as far as learning the offense and getting to meetings from what I've heard.  It sounds like just a maturity issue with him and from what I've heard he sounds like a good guy but I still have my doubts about learning this offense.  After drafting Chad Jackson I am scared to death drafting wide receivers. 

Decker is a favorite of mine since he has great size and good route running ability.  He is extremely smart which helps in this offense.  He could be a steal if we could somehow get him in the 4th round or move into the 3rd to grab him.  I also like Golden Tate since he was in Charlie Weis' offense and was very successful.  Another receiver to keep an eye on is Damian Williams out of USC. 

Getting back to Benn though he does have the size and speed you look for in a receiver.  Hopefully he has the smarts to pick up our system quickly.  Once he picks up the system the route running will come. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Benn is supposed to be a knock off of Boldin who's the only "big name" FA they persued with any vigor.  The reports say great hands, very tough, good blocker and decent route runner and decent speed.  If he's available with the 47th pick, I'd say it's a good chance.  As above there are several good WR who should be around in rd 2.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I've liked what I've seen of him. Nice size and speed, plus he has some production.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: How about Arrelious Benn?:
    I've heard he's pretty raw, but the Holt signing would give them time to let him develop a bit.
    Posted by FishTaco64

That's what I'm thinking. He can learn from Holt and Moss and then Tate, Benn, and Edelman can be our three receivers of the future. Tate and Benn would be the outside WRs and then Edelman will be the slot Welker clone. That's assuming all the picks end up as hits. I feel confident this could definitely work out though. Then there's always our two first rounders next year just for insurance or WR overkill.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I fully endorse Benn. I'd be happy with Benn or Williams. Williams for his well polished route running or Benn for his big time possession ability

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

I gave my reasons for not wanting Dez in the genius titled thread " 4 HOF if we grab Dez" or something like that. Like most of this draft I like/love alot of players , but not until the2/3 rd. That includes WRs like Benn , both Williams' , Gilyard , Barnes , Briscoe , Anderson , Micthell , Sanders etc. I never trust "the next TO , Moss etc" WRs in the first. Why , because there will never be another Moss , Owens etc. Maybe a little worse or even better , but there will never be another Moss. As good as Fitz is , he'd need 30 Tds and 2000 yrds to compare to Randys numbers in his first seven years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: How about Arrelious Benn?:
    I gave my reasons for not wanting Dez in the genius titled thread " 4 HOF if we grab Dez" or something like that. Like most of this draft I like/love alot of players , but not until the2/3 rd. That includes WRs like Benn , both Williams' , Gilyard , Barnes , Briscoe , Anderson , Micthell , Sanders etc. I never trust "the next TO , Moss etc" WRs in the first. Why , because there will never be another Moss , Owens etc. Maybe a little worse or even better , but there will never be another Moss. As good as Fitz is , he'd need 30 Tds and 2000 yrds to compare to Randys numbers in his first seven years.
    Posted by ONE-TIME

True. It seems like players like Moss and Owens are once in a generation kind of players. I'm too young to really remember Jerry Rice's greatness, but I can remember Moss and Owens' greatness. There will be another player like them, but when will they come? I try not to get too hyped about players.

Here's a guy I can somewhat compare to Owens though. He certainly won't be an Owens, but he reminds me of him. Someone commented on the video mentioned that too.

Demaryius Thomas
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=demaryius+thomas&aq=f

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

great pick if he is there in the 45-55 range

A stud defensive guy like Graham or Odrick in rd 1 w/ Benn in rd 2 is a better pair IMO than Bryant and a defensive guy who may not make an impact right away in rd 2

The last thing we need is to pass up a perfect 3-4 OLB or DE to get another Ron Brace in rd 2 even if Bryant is a star.

Despite Welker's injury I think the passing game will be better from day 1 already with Edelman/Holt a better duo than Welker/Galloway plus health for Brady, Moss and Tate.

I worry mostly that we have no hybrid tackle/end to take Green's spot and that a Woods/Crable OLB combo is just pathetic.