How are you preparing for the storm of the centu.... this year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

How are you preparing for the storm of the centu.... this year

Maybe it's because I grew up in the area and am use to the potential of 2' snow storms but I never understand the panic associated with them honestly. Before winter starts I keep old milk cartons and rinse them out. Then before a storm is coming I fill them up with water (just incase) and leave half of them outside to freeze (to stick in the freezer and fridge incase the power goes to keep things cool). So, I don't need to buy the overpriced bottles of water everyone fights over. Typically I go to the store 3-4 days before the "expected" storm and buy a handful of things: pop-tarts, bread, pb&j/fluff, and some fruit/snacks. Very basic items. I'm also an old time boy scout so I keep a bug-out bag handy with MRE's if it's sustained power loss. Say what you will but bug out bags take no effort to put together, take no room to store, and contain basic items most people use on a weekly basis.

But, I always find it hillarious listening and watching people panic and buy useless stuff they don't need. Some of the things I've seen bought that I really have to question:

Milk - It's extremely popular to buy milk before a storm but why? It's an item that needs to be in the fridge and it goes bad if you lose power for any extended period. You could leave it outside but why even bother. A couple days without milk won't kill you so why even buy something that goes bad if you can't keep it cold?

TV dinners - This confuses me on multiple levels. How are you suppose to keep them cold unless you leave them outdoors, how are you suppose to cook them unless you have a gas stove and manually lighting a modern gas stove might not be the brightest idea for most people unless you absolutely have to

Roman noodles - don't they need hot water? Again unless you have a gas stove which isn't bright for most people to manually light themselves or a fireplace you aren't going to get much use out of them

Ice cream - yes I've seen people stock up on ice cream, don't ask

Juices - see milk

Meat - if you lose power you're in trouble and that comes back to how are you going to cook it

Snow shoes - just incase it really snows 8' and you have to cross seas of snow to get help? (yes I've seen this)

At worst the roads will be bad for a couple of days why are you buying carts full of groceries in preparation for a long hold out. Does the snow bring zombies with it? Even if you lose power for weeks (happening a lot lately) resturants and supermarkets typically get power back quickly so there is always places to get food. I just never understand the basic panic that sets in with predictions of a big storm

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: How are you preparing for the storm of the centu.... this year

I think a big part of the "stocking up" thing is realizing the roads may not be a pleasant prospect for a number of days and they won't be able to get to a store without a hassle, so they bolster their normal supplies.

I doubt stocking up on ice cream is done with the intent of riding out a week long power outage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Beer, weed and Flashlights

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Admirable patseng...the Boy Scout in you is evident...I wish more thought like this and didn't rely on others to bail them out out of messes that just a little preparation can fix. 

Btw...I am enjoying 70 degree weather at the moment sitting on my patio in Houston. Nice, but would be nicer witha slice of pizza from santarpios or a clam roll from Kelly's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

OH, almost forgot toilet paper of course

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Maybe it's because I grew up in the area and am use to the potential of 2' snow storms but I never understand the panic associated with them honestly. Before winter starts I keep old milk cartons and rinse them out. Then before a storm is coming I fill them up with water (just incase) and leave half of them outside to freeze (to stick in the freezer and fridge incase the power goes to keep things cool). So, I don't need to buy the overpriced bottles of water everyone fights over. Typically I go to the store 3-4 days before the "expected" storm and buy a handful of things: pop-tarts, bread, pb&j/fluff, and some fruit/snacks. Very basic items. I'm also an old time boy scout so I keep a bug-out bag handy with MRE's if it's sustained power loss. Say what you will but bug out bags take no effort to put together, take no room to store, and contain basic items most people use on a weekly basis.

But, I always find it hillarious listening and watching people panic and buy useless stuff they don't need. Some of the things I've seen bought that I really have to question:

Milk - It's extremely popular to buy milk before a storm but why? It's an item that needs to be in the fridge and it goes bad if you lose power for any extended period. You could leave it outside but why even bother. A couple days without milk won't kill you so why even buy something that goes bad if you can't keep it cold?

TV dinners - This confuses me on multiple levels. How are you suppose to keep them cold unless you leave them outdoors, how are you suppose to cook them unless you have a gas stove and manually lighting a modern gas stove might not be the brightest idea for most people unless you absolutely have to

Roman noodles - don't they need hot water? Again unless you have a gas stove which isn't bright for most people to manually light themselves or a fireplace you aren't going to get much use out of them

Ice cream - yes I've seen people stock up on ice cream, don't ask

Juices - see milk

Meat - if you lose power you're in trouble and that comes back to how are you going to cook it

Snow shoes - just incase it really snows 8' and you have to cross seas of snow to get help? (yes I've seen this)

At worst the roads will be bad for a couple of days why are you buying carts full of groceries in preparation for a long hold out. Does the snow bring zombies with it? Even if you lose power for weeks (happening a lot lately) resturants and supermarkets typically get power back quickly so there is always places to get food. I just never understand the basic panic that sets in with predictions of a big storm

I agree with you though people make a huge deal out it. I've lived in Mass all my life and I love storms like this! If the power goes out I fire up the grill, throw some steaks on or something and make the most of it. Its quite fun like tailgating actually

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

I always stock up...literally have to as I live on one of the last roads to be plowed in town...2004 AFC Champ game, we got 25 inckes over the weekend, I was snowed in until plows came through Tuesday afternoon....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Don't forget all your warm pats gear gang!   LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Belichick hoodie is never far away come wintertime....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

With he cut off sleaves??...now there's a good look!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I think a big part of the "stocking up" thing is realizing the roads may not be a pleasant prospect for a number of days and they won't be able to get to a store without a hassle, so they bolster their normal supplies.

I doubt stocking up on ice cream is done with the intent of riding out a week long power outage.

they bolster their supplies for a couple of days? That makes no sense. Have you been to the stores right before a storm? People go crazy and load up for weeks not for just a couple of days. I could see going to a store early if you normally go the day the storm is expected but that's not what some people do. If it was just to bolster super markets wouldn't be running out of bread, milk, and bottled water

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

I always stock up...literally have to as I live on one of the last roads to be plowed in town...2004 AFC Champ game, we got 25 inckes over the weekend, I was snowed in until plows came through Tuesday afternoon....

This makes sense to me. You are in a special situation that I don't think most people are in though

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In MA there is a small excuse for those who lived through the "Blizzard of '78".  Governor Dotaxus prohibited driving for a full week after the storm.  I have relatives that talk about the storm like it was last week.

But truth be told if a storm is forecast anywhere in the 50 states there will be a run on the supermarkets/hardware stores.

For hurricanes I always wondered why there is a run on plywood at the hardware stores, leading to empty shelves.   Then the next storm comes through and the cycle repeats itself.  I would just hold onto the plywood I bought for $$$ but maybe people don't want the hassle or have a place to store it.  Puzzles me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

they bolster their supplies for a couple of days? That makes no sense. Have you been to the stores right before a storm? People go crazy and load up for weeks not for just a couple of days. I could see going to a store early if you normally go the day the storm is expected but that's not what some people do. If it was just to bolster super markets wouldn't be running out of bread, milk, and bottled water

It's called a precaution. No guarantee the roads will be fine in two days.

Do people go a little overboard? Sure.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Admirable patseng...the Boy Scout in you is evident...I wish more thought like this and didn't rely on others to bail them out out of messes that just a little preparation can fix. 

Btw...I am enjoying 70 degree weather at the moment sitting on my patio in Houston. Nice, but would be nicer witha slice of pizza from santarpios or a clam roll from Kelly's.

You know I don't understand why most families don't have bug out bags prepared. They are extremely useful even if you don't leave the house. I know in case of normal emergencies my bag has first aid stuff, flashlight, candles, thread and needle, leatherman multi use tool so if I lose power or hurt myself I don't have to search for anything since I know it's right there in my bag.

Enjoy your 70 degrees, but come summer know I'll also be enjoying the 70 degrees reading on my porch without needing a block of ice to keep me cool

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I've got a generator, that helps!!! 

You all remember the 3 consecutive blizzards we got down here in Maryland a couple years ago?  Had over 3 feet of snow with snow on the ground and piled up the side of my driveway up to 5 feet high.  All it did was remind me of my days as a youth ( or is that "yut" ) in New Hampshire when snow like that was a regular occurrance.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from montrealhabs. Show montrealhabs's posts

looking to some post make me wonder what u guys would do in montreal ? although, using even grill in winter it's quite funny but too cold here though

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Restocking the beer supply on the way home, and getting some gas for the generator. Everything else pretty much takes care of itself. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Good luck boys, hope you all make it safe through that big blizzard.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I will be wearing shorts and a tee shirt sitting on my lanai in 78 degree temps .... Watching the weather channel as they tell me all about what I do not miss.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Now that I've moved to Canada, most of my preparation involves trying to convert 25 - 30 centimetres into inches.