How can fans protest the new kickoff rule??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Re: How can fans protest the new kickoff rule??

The new kickoff is so lame they may as well just have teams start at the 20 yard line. It's a waste of time kicking it off into the end zone every time. It's worse than having a kickoff anymore. Perhaps they could do the kickoff during a commercial break so as not to bore the fans.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics12345. Show Celtics12345's posts

The Who are coming out with a new album

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

No big deal to me...heck, I remember when they used to kick off from the 40!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: How can fans protest the new kickoff rule??:
    [QUOTE]No big deal to me...heck, I remember when they used to kick off from the 40!
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

Nouveau fan will tell you that this is irrelevant because the athletes are so much bigger and stronger now (and he will be right), but my response is that those in favor of eliminating kickoff returns should be drafted to tell guys like Devin Hester (and Brandon Tate, while we're bullshittin') that they no longer have a place in the league.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I'm guessing the elimination of kickoffs is mostly a safety thing?  If so, and if a disproportionate number on injuries happens on that play, then I'd begrudgingly accept the new rule.  I can agree that not every team has a Gostkowski and as the cold weather approaches the ball will not travel as far.  But every preseason game I've watched is less exciting without as many kickoff returns.  Kickoffs are such a fun part of the game, anything can happen, and watching the returner take a knee in the endzone 80% of the time sucks. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Why even have the kickoff??? This has to be the dumbest rules ever. These are grown men playing a very violent game. If they cant handle a kickoff get into a kitchen or something less violent, like golf, maybe tennis.  If you are going to kick it off to the end of the endzone then you might as well just put the ball at the 20 yard line and start from there. What's next no more punts???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]Why even have the kickoff??? This has to be the dumbest rules ever. These are grown men playing a very violent game. If they cant handle a kickoff get into a kitchen or something less violent, like golf, maybe tennis.  If you are going to kick it off to the end of the endzone then you might as well just put the ball at the 20 yard line and start from there. What's next no more punts???
    Posted by PAULICAS1975[/QUOTE]

I actually agree with this. If your aim is to take the ball out of play to lessen the incidence of injuries, then just freakin' do it already. Why are you wasting everybody's time running up and down the field? Just fix your skirt and spot the ball on the 20.

And while you're at it, guys get hurt on plays from scrimmage, too . . .  so you better hurry up and eliminate those, as well. That way, we can all spend our hard-earned money to watch these guys line up three yards apart and wave "Hello" to each other.

See how many billion dollars that generates.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]Okay. I get the point that they want to minimize injuries, but why force us to sit through a pointless play sandwiched between two commercial breaks? Either keep it or get rid of it, but the current rule absolutely destroys the pace of the game...especially for high-scoring teams like the pats.
    Posted by e4smith[/QUOTE]

Because, in the NFL, ANYTHING can happen. Let's say a team's strategy is to have their kicker try and "hang" one inside the 5-10? And there's a pretty stiff wind blowing, or swirling in that end zone, making even a "normal" kickoff into teh end zone a dicey proposition?

Remember, all the NFL has done was say tyhat all kickoffs will come from the 35. Nowhere does it say that the receiving team cannot try and return it.

"current rule absolutely destroys the pace of the game"

Ever see a returner "fair catch" a punt? Does that destroy the pace of the game? The NFL steps out to try and protect its most vulnerable players in the Train Wreck portion of the game, sponsored by Union Pacific and the MBTA, and "fans" are griping about it. How many special teamers go down yearly with injuries? (Hint: iT's NOT usually the guy returning the kick.) The better coaches will undoubtedly game plan around this "inconvenience".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]This is one of the worst rule changes I can remember. This is like sewing the net back up in basketball so you have to retrieve the ball after each shot. How could they have not figured out that you might as well cancel the kick off and start the drive from the 20 to really save injuries....and time for that matter. Oh I know why, because after each kickoff the league makes x amount of dollars in commercial revenue. B.S Hey Parelli pull your head out of the sand buddy.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Would you rather have the ball on the 20 or have your Hester/Tate's given a chance of running one back? Yopu know, the other team just scored to go up by 4 with 1 1/2 minutes left. Some special teams coach will come up with a plan to beat this, and then all teams will copy it.

Also, I wonder how many kickoffs come up well short of the 10 yard line due to high winds or other game conditions? Plus, there's the squib kick, and onsides kick. Want to take that option away from teh Pats if they just scored vs the Colts to get within 2 points of the lead with 45 second left? Or would you be totally satisfied with just giving the Colts the ball on the 20?

You're reading more into it than it really deserves. Give it a chance!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Weather is certainly a factor. Another thing, not all kickers have big legs who can kick it a ton. How many times have you seen Adam Vinatieri kick the ball out of the end zone? Ten yards will not have the effect on kickers who are super accurate but weak on kickoffs like Adam.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

I understand some may argue against the change on principle, but as a Pats fan, you have to love this rule change.

The Patriots have a mature offense that is skilled in long, ball-control drives, and a defense that shows the promise (as yet, unfulfilled) of being more attacking and physically dominant. Teams like the Bears and Chiefs and Jets have gotten by in recent years by having a special teams weapon that can seriously alter field position in a game. With that being neutralized by the rule change, only the teams that can consistently march down the field and score in the Red Zone will rise to the top.

The Pats will be one of, if not the best of, those teams.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The NFL doesn't want nobody special teamers making electrifying returns on kickoffs. They would rather have marquee QBs on the field racking up gaudy fantasy stats.