How Do Texans Match Up Vs. Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

How Do Texans Match Up Vs. Patriots?

Several posters have commented that there are some teams that match up well against the Patriots; like the Giants.

How do fans think the Texans Match up against the Patriots?

Strengths/weaknesses of each team going into the game?

Keys to a Patriots win?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: How Do Texans Match Up Vs. Patriots?

Keep a te in to help with watt.   Double Johnson and concentrate on the run.  long grinding time consuming drives and wear their D down or the second half.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

All due respect to you guys, I normally wouldn't have a dog in this fight, but am rooting heavily for the Texans in this one for selfish reasons. 

Although 8-4, I am still of the belief that the colts aren't very good.  Maybe they are just barely good enough, but they need all of the help they can get.  A win by the Texans puts separation between the Texans and their competition for #1 seed.  A win here and then the following week against the colts puts them at 13-1 and, I believe, assured of the top seed. 

The colts play them in the final week in Indy.  With nothing to play for, I am hoping for rest from the Texans giving the colts a shot at a win.  If so, that gives them possibly 3 winnable games to finish the season.  And if they win those, they are in. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

yeah the Texans can give it to the colts like the colts did to the jets a couple of years ago.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Lets be fair here, the pats have also rested starters in the past when there was nothing to play for.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Hope the Pats run a number of 'SCREENS' to Vareen, to help back peddle the Hou D.  Cuz, they are going to get after #12.....few screens should do the trick....we'll see.  Going to be Playoff atmosphere in Foxboro Monday night!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

Good barometer game.  I think the Pats offense can game plan against the aggressiveness of the Texans DL.  It plays into our strength.  The one thing--if they are throwing screens, they have to go away from Watt, that dude knocks everything down.  The DB's are not great and their LB's are mostly hurt--should be another good game for Welker/Hernandez.  Get Ridley going early, screens to Vereen and thing let Woodhead tiptoe through the line.  Talib/McCourty covering Johnson and the rest keeping Foster contained. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Put OT and TE (Fells) to help negate Watt who is a beast. I;d be interested to see who plays and who doesn't for the Texans. If, for example, Joseph and others in their secondary are out (and rookies are in) the Pats offense has to exploit that. Cushing is obviously out, but will Reed and that other LB start (after missing the last game). Point is if key players are out for the game then  Brady in offense willl figure out how to expose and exploit any weaknesses.  Run D has to be good against Foster. Pass D has to get pressure on Schaub; either up the middle or from the Pats DEs. The Texans have a very balanced offense; probably the toughest the Pats face this year. IMO Brady and to some extant Mc Daniels have to have a great game plan; and  the D as per usual has to force turnovers and play great situational football (third down conversions, red zone D. Maybe keep the Texans run game from ripping off long runs and prevent the big play in the pass game.  Big test for the PAts revamped secondary (Talb, Dennard, McCourty at FS and Arrington in the slot). Schwaub has been spreading the ball around effectively, but the Pats have to guard against deep threat Johnson. Texans have plenty of weapons on both sides of the ball and negating these weapons as best they can will determine a favorable outcome for the Pats in this game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

It's been a while since the Pats D has faced a good O, that is the test for this team.  Pats O can bring it against anyone.  Both teams have their injury issues, but, BB excels at finding the right players to plug in and continue to win.  Should be a great game with superlatives coming out of the mouths of the announcers all night long!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All due respect to you guys, I normally wouldn't have a dog in this fight, but am rooting heavily for the Texans in this one for selfish reasons. 

Although 8-4, I am still of the belief that the colts aren't very good.  Maybe they are just barely good enough, but they need all of the help they can get.  A win by the Texans puts separation between the Texans and their competition for #1 seed.  A win here and then the following week against the colts puts them at 13-1 and, I believe, assured of the top seed. 

The colts play them in the final week in Indy.  With nothing to play for, I am hoping for rest from the Texans giving the colts a shot at a win.  If so, that gives them possibly 3 winnable games to finish the season.  And if they win those, they are in. 

[/QUOTE]

So let me get this straight, you are just hoping that the Dolt make the playsoffs and give them no chance of winning?  Wouldn't it make more since for the Pats to humiliate the Texans by beating them 59-3 and give your team a blue print so you can take two from them at the end of the season?  If that happened they'd be 12 and four and you'd have the tie breaker over them if you tied...Come On Man show some Team Spirit!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Texans are having big trouble at cornerback.

Starter Jonathan Joseph is out.  His backup, Alan Ball, is out.  Brice McCain, their terrific slot corner, started last week in place of Joseph.  He broke his foot and will be out through the AFC Championship Game. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hope the Pats run a number of 'SCREENS' to Vareen, to help back peddle the Hou D.  Cuz, they are going to get after #12.....few screens should do the trick....we'll see.  Going to be Playoff atmosphere in Foxboro Monday night!

[/QUOTE]

Screens are only effective if opponents' front 7 are overly aggressive in trying to get to Brady.  If so, Patriots will have to counter with blocking help (TE or RB) for wherever the pressure Brady thinks the pressure is going to come from.  Brady is going to have to be on top of his game in recognizing defensive looks. Hopefully, the Texans won't have too many multiple looks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to Tomhab's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So let me get this straight, you are just hoping that the Dolt make the playsoffs and give them no chance of winning?  Wouldn't it make more since for the Pats to humiliate the Texans by beating them 59-3 and give your team a blue print so you can take two from them at the end of the season?  If that happened they'd be 12 and four and you'd have the tie breaker over them if you tied...Come On Man show some Team Spirit!

[/QUOTE]

You probably didn't watch the colts pats game and/or you probably haven't seen any other colts games.  The colts are barely winning by the hair of their chinny chin chin generally against bad teams. 

Fortunately, they have games left vs. 2 bad teams.  The Titans and the Chiefs.  Winning those two games alone may be enough to get the colts into the playoffs, but also winning against a resting Texans team would seal the deal. 

Pittsburgh and Cincy are both just one game behind the colts, but both of them cannot run the table as they play each other to finish the year.  So, yes any advantage the colts can take advantage of, I am all for. 

Go Texans.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Tomhab's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You probably didn't watch the colts pats game and/or you probably haven't seen any other colts games.  The colts are barely winning by the hair of their chinny chin chin generally against bad teams. 

Fortunately, they have games left vs. 2 bad teams.  The Titans and the Chiefs.  Winning those two games alone may be enough to get the colts into the playoffs, but also winning against a resting Texans team would seal the deal. 

Pittsburgh and Cincy are both just one game behind the colts, but both of them cannot run the table as they play each other to finish the year.  So, yes any advantage the colts can take advantage of, I am all for. 

Go Texans.

[/QUOTE]

The Texans are in your division, how can you root for them, unless beating another team get's the Dolts into the playoffs.  So are you a Texans fan now?  Thought you'd follow Seyton to denver before you'd become and Texans fan. 

You remind me of my son-in-law who was a Cowboys fan and is all of a sudden a Texans fan this year.  Don't hurt yourself jumping from Bandwagon to Bandwagon

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They say the best way to attack a Good Pass Rusher is run right at him. Do it hard and many times. It wears him out. Concerns me about this game is our LB's, against Daniels, he's a fast TE. This guy worries me. Last time we faced Texans was like the 1st game Foster started he had a great game.This has to be Priority #1 on Defense.

If I remember right we had a big lead last time we played them in Houston and they came back with great game by Foster and Schaub to win it. I think they put up huge numbers running in that game.

[/QUOTE]

That was the game Welker went out with a knee injury

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Put OT and TE (Fells) to help negate Watt who is a beast. I;d be interested to see who plays and who doesn't for the Texans. If, for example, Joseph and others in their secondary are out (and rookies are in) the Pats offense has to exploit that. Cushing is obviously out, but will Reed and that other LB start (after missing the last game). Point is if key players are out for the game then  Brady in offense willl figure out how to expose and exploit any weaknesses.  Run D has to be good against Foster. Pass D has to get pressure on Schaub; either up the middle or from the Pats DEs. The Texans have a very balanced offense; probably the toughest the Pats face this year. IMO Brady and to some extant Mc Daniels have to have a great game plan; and  the D as per usual has to force turnovers and play great situational football (third down conversions, red zone D. Maybe keep the Texans run game from ripping off long runs and prevent the big play in the pass game.  Big test for the PAts revamped secondary (Talb, Dennard, McCourty at FS and Arrington in the slot). Schwaub has been spreading the ball around effectively, but the Pats have to guard against deep threat Johnson. Texans have plenty of weapons on both sides of the ball and negating these weapons as best they can will determine a favorable outcome for the Pats in this game.

[/QUOTE]

I would agree that this will be a good litmus test not only for pass rush and secondary, but for the defensive play calling.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think Green Bay beat Texas mostly by spreading them out and Rogers getting rid of the ball quickly.  We for sure can do this, and we have a better running game than Green Bay.  Vareen is a good receiver, so we may see more of him this game.  Defensively we have to not give up the big play.  Biggest threats are foster and their all pro receiver .  BB will have them ready.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's no fun being in the playoffs if your team can't win anyway.

You're right, Indy is playing like a 7-9 team right now.  However, Saint Louis just scored a victory and a tie versus San Francisco, so these things happen.  You might as well want your favorite team to go straight for the glory in the first place -- it feels better.  Then both you and the team are sure that maybe they can knock off Houston in the big game.  Unearned gifties are for the Jets and lucky calls are for Baltimore. 

One more plus -- google "the patriots effect" all in quotes.  Teams that lose to the Patriots usually manage to lose their next game also.  That's Indy. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

We own the Texans..  38 -17

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're right, Indy is playing like a 7-9 team right now.  However, Saint Louis just scored a victory and a tie versus San Francisco, so these things happen.  You might as well want your favorite team to go straight for the glory in the first place -- it feels better.  Then both you and the team are sure that maybe they can knock off Houston in the big game.  Unearned gifties are for the Jets and lucky calls are for Baltimore. 

One more plus -- google "the patriots effect" all in quotes.  Teams that lose to the Patriots usually manage to lose their next game also.  That's Indy. 

[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself.  The colts won 2 games last year and have now quadrupled last year's wins and have an opportunity to reach the playoffs.  You are clearly too young or too much of a bandwagon guy to remember the pre-Brady years.  I am sure true Pats fans were looking for any gift available during the lean years.  BTW, they'll be back.  

As for your patriot effect, apparently the colts are the outlier, because they are on a 2 game win streak since losing to the pats.  Or is this one of "your" theories, like not counting the 4th quarter when ranking your teams?

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and sore losing is for pats fans  :  )

[/QUOTE]

And posting on other teams forums is for Gi Aint's, Jets & Pony fans : )