How good is Hightower?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

How good is Hightower?

I hear much praise for Hightower, but I rarely see him make an impact.

What am I missing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Re: How good is Hightower?

The better question is how slow is Hightower.  Did you see him chasing some guy named jeff Cumberland yesterday?  Cumberland had three steps on him on every play.  Unfortunatley, Cumberland has the catching skills of Dobson and Thompkins.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What am I missing?

[/QUOTE]

nothing. the was already losing snaps this year to spikes at the Cincy game. mayo's injury threw him into the fire & he looked weak. not suprised he played bad in coverage but AM suprised how bad the run D  was.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

What does he do well?

I know he can't cover, worse than Mayo.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ugh.  Are you people listening to the same sports radio show or something? Enough with the duplicate anti-BB draft threads.

Jesus H. Christ. We spent 5 years here watching TCal say Mayo sux over and over, mocking him game by game and now it's being transferred over to Mayo's replacement.

Don't take the anti-BB media bait, folks.

[/QUOTE]

I loved mayo

What I saw on TV of Hightower didn't make me feel good about him in space

and he was slow on the Gino TD run?

ps am still po d on the fg penalty, reminded me of the old colt days

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The better question is how slow is Hightower.  Did you see him chasing some guy named jeff Cumberland yesterday?  Cumberland had three steps on him on every play.  Unfortunatley, Cumberland has the catching skills of Dobson and Thompkins.

[/QUOTE]

Umm, you should be worrying about your own LBs. Like Coples or Davis, McIntyre and all the others who couldn't cover my grandmother.

You're welcome with Brady throwing that pick 6. He doesn't meltdown staring down Gronk, you get blown out, big mouth.

Enjoy that bagged win and Brady having a subpar year so far.

Jets will not make the playoffs. One reason is their pass D is horrendous.   Brady missed numerous passes yesterday.

[/QUOTE]

what did you think of the rout gronk ran on the brady pick- he really rounded it off

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

He looked slow. That was obvious to most people.HOWEVER, I fully expect him to assimilate to this over the next week. He is a smart , powerful player. He has great speed...for a guy 270. Running down recv or te at 6-6'4 210 is tough for a man his size. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Umm, you should be worrying about your own LBs. Like Coples or Davis, McIntyre and all the others who couldn't cover my grandmother.

You're welcome with Brady throwing that pick 6. He doesn't meltdown staring down Gronk, you get blown out, big mouth.

Jets will not make the playoffs. One reason is their pass D is horrendous.   Brady missed numerous passes yesterday.

[/QUOTE]

what did you think of the rout gronk ran on the brady pick- he really rounded it off

[/QUOTE]

I answered you in that other thread, Brady Apologist.  I've been hearing that pathetic excuse since 2011.

"Rounded off" - lmao

When you're wide open with no one in front of you, you can't "round off a route".

Stop with the excuses. It's one thing if he needed to come back to the line of scrimmage and shield from the defender, but that's not what happened. THe ball was awful, as were MANY yesterday, ALL DAY.

And, he had MANY chances bobbing up and down in that pockey behind that line of scrimmage, too. No lame excuses about rounding off routes or the O Line.  Brady has been poor much of the year.

[/QUOTE]

well here is what mike reiss said about it just now "As for the route, while Gronkowski's initial cut was sharp, he then seemed to fade slightly upfield, giving Allen the chance to undercut him."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Think Hightower is good on running plays in the middle but Spikes is better.

Think Hightower might be cut out for DE , maybe Nink could be in more as a LB. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I answered you in that other thread, Brady Apologist.  I've been hearing that pathetic excuse since 2011.

"Rounded off" - lmao

When you're wide open with no one in front of you, you can't "round off a route".

Stop with the excuses. It's one thing if he needed to come back to the line of scrimmage and shield from the defender, but that's not what happened. THe ball was awful, as were MANY yesterday, ALL DAY.

And, he had MANY chances bobbing up and down in that pockey behind that line of scrimmage, too. No lame excuses about rounding off routes or the O Line.  Brady has been poor much of the year.

[/QUOTE]

well here is what mike reiss said about it just now "As for the route, while Gronkowski's initial cut was sharp, he then seemed to fade slightly upfield, giving Allen the chance to undercut him."

[/QUOTE]

Reiss will never, ever pick out a Brady flaw in a game. EVER.   Trust me. He's never done it. He always prefaces a massive Brady foul up with a "but, so and so could have done this" to make it sound less crappy than what it was.

[/QUOTE]

well i think that is an accurate description of what happened

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

it still might have got picked but gronk definitely faded

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Hightower is a 270 pound mammoth line backer.....Hello????

He isn't supposed to play in space. he should be setting the edge, rushing the frickn passer, jamming TE's. ARGHHHHHHHH

The Mayo injury is bigger then people who don't have a clue realize. Need Fletcher, if he can't play ILB now then why is he on the roster? Wait, is he on the roster? What?

"Has the whole damn world gone crazy"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

What am I missing?

First of all I want to know who is pulling your leg with this "much praise" bs.

Second, You aren't missing anything.  Hightower however is missing speed and vision.  My gosh, this one play on Sunday he was trying to cover sombody and he couldn't keep up.  he was like 7 yards away from the dude, he was choking on the guys dust,  and he didn't even know the ball was in the air to the guy.  He looked lost, confused and had just got abused.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

I'd rather Spikes or Fletcher wear the green dot.  Hightower is a JAG!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

[QUOTE]

What am I missing?

[/QUOTE]

You're missing the fact that BB is a stubborn fool who won't admit that Hightower is a waste of a 1st RD pick, so he puts him as the Defensive Leader even when he is outmatched with not enough smarts or talent.  Just like he puts Blount in at KR even though he's slower than Hightower.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Spikes doesn't strike me as the kind of guy you want to be the play caller out there.  I'm not sure he's all that smart and even if he is, he doesn't seem disciplined enough for that role. 

We haven't seen Fletcher play all that much for a while, so it's hard to say whether he's better than the guys who are playing.  The fact that he doesn't play makes me think not.  Belichick sees these guys in practice everyday.  He knows what he's doing. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

I bet you the Defense would follow Spikes into a burning building.....I'm not too sure about Hightower.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah, but BB doesn't play a "burning building" kind of defense.  He values playing smart, disciplined ball over being aggressive.  Some fans hate that about Belichick, but it is what it is . . .  and generally it works. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

True, but I guess we'll see what happens in the coming weeks.  I'm just saying that Spikes is more of a playmaker than Hightower is, and I'm sure the other players know that

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

That's what I originally thought would happen.  Nink moves much better, but I'm wondering if he put on too much weight in the offseason to prepare for lining up at 4-3 DE full-time. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to theshinez's comment:
    [QUOTE]

True, but I guess we'll see what happens in the coming weeks.  I'm just saying that Spikes is more of a playmaker than Hightower is, and I'm sure the other players know that

[/QUOTE]

Against the run, definitely.  In coverage, though, I think he's even worse than Hightower and with less potential.  It's a tough situation because without our two best DTs, you want Spikes in the game for his run defense.  But without Mayo, you kind of want a better coverage LB in the game.  BB is going to have to solve that puzzle with lots of substitution or tweaked schemes.  Not sure you can take a lineman out and use a 3-4-4 or a 3-3-5, since the line is already a bit light, but maybe that's one solution to try.  It's a tough coaching challenge no matter how you look at it. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

Well, we all know that Spikes as you said is undisciplined many times, but he's also been known to stick a RB or TE and get an INT also.  I haven't seen any of that from Hightower yet.  I'd rather see Hightower at DE and Ninkovich go to LB for the rest of the year. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I am sure there will be adjustments in the LB group.  It is only October.  BB always works on his defense and improves it.  When December rolls around, the LB assignments will be better settled.  The defense was superb until the rash of injuries.  They now have time to adjust and make corrections.  Hightower is big and not built to chase tight ends down the field.  Collins is the fastest LB and should be taking that assignment.  This is the first game this group has been together.  Give it time

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is precisely the point I was trying to make yesterday. Hightower and spikes benefit from having a mayo on the field. Their physical skills are complimentary. However, without mayo, the slowness of spikes and Hightower are exposed. Plus, I am not sure Hightower is capable yet of setting the defense. Move Hightower to end and nink to lb. lbs of nink, spikes, Collins/fletcher. That gives a bit ore speed back there and a little more beef on the line. Any takers?