How good is Hightower?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

Re: How good is Hightower?

Nink would be my choice to move to ILB.  I'm wondering if he's put on too much DE weight though. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ugh.  Are you people listening to the same sports radio show or something? Enough with the duplicate anti-BB draft threads.

Jesus H. Christ. We spent 5 years here watching TCal say Mayo sux over and over, mocking him game by game and now it's being transferred over to Mayo's replacement.

Don't take the anti-BB media bait, folks.

[/QUOTE]

Are you trying to compare Hightower to Mayo? If so, you're an imbecile. Oh wait, we already have proven you're that 1000 times. LMAO@U Megatool.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hear much praise for Hightower, but I rarely see him make an impact.

What am I missing?

[/QUOTE]

I remember people saying the same thing about Mayo. You have to take each individually for what they actually are built to do and not what they are currently doing. Hightower wasn't menat to cover quicker TE's and RB's or to run from sideline to sideline. He just wasn't built for it, but because of the Mayo injury he was forced into it because Collins isn't nearly ready to take over that role. Ideally Hightower is closer to Nink but more athletic. He should be closer to the line and can help set the edge while provide some rushing ability and can get into the 2 point. The further you move him from the line the worse he's going to get simply because he's 270lbs. He just can't move all that well in open space. What he does do though is against bigger stronger (and yes slower) RB's and TE's he can bump them well off the line and cover them well enough to not be a negative but his main asset is behind Nink. It releases Nink to get after the passer more often (see last year with Nink). When Hightower has to drop back into coverage or can't play off the edge Nink almost has to sit his position to prevent flat's, screens, or sweeps from hitting the edge which kills any push from an entire side. Most people would never notice this because it doesn't show up in the stats but having Nink and Hightower stacked makes a massive difference when both can line up at the edge and nether has to move more than 5yds past the line for the assignments. If you remember back to the earlier part of the year teams didn't even bother to try screens or sweeps to that side of the ball because it would get blown up easily before the play even started. That's what his job is, not to cover a TE. It's the whole reason we drafted Collins to begin with, because nether Spikes nor Hightower were built for coverage. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What am I missing?

[/QUOTE]

I remember people saying the same thing about Mayo. You have to take each individually for what they actually are built to do and not what they are currently doing. Hightower wasn't menat to cover quicker TE's and RB's or to run from sideline to sideline. He just wasn't built for it, but because of the Mayo injury he was forced into it because Collins isn't nearly ready to take over that role. Ideally Hightower is closer to Nink but more athletic. He should be closer to the line and can help set the edge while provide some rushing ability and can get into the 2 point. The further you move him from the line the worse he's going to get simply because he's 270lbs. He just can't move all that well in open space. What he does do though is against bigger stronger (and yes slower) RB's and TE's he can bump them well off the line and cover them well enough to not be a negative but his main asset is behind Nink. It releases Nink to get after the passer more often (see last year with Nink). When Hightower has to drop back into coverage or can't play off the edge Nink almost has to sit his position to prevent flat's, screens, or sweeps from hitting the edge which kills any push from an entire side. Most people would never notice this because it doesn't show up in the stats but having Nink and Hightower stacked makes a massive difference when both can line up at the edge and nether has to move more than 5yds past the line for the assignments. If you remember back to the earlier part of the year teams didn't even bother to try screens or sweeps to that side of the ball because it would get blown up easily before the play even started. That's what his job is, not to cover a TE. It's the whole reason we drafted Collins to begin with, because nether Spikes nor Hightower were built for coverage. 

[/QUOTE]

I believe Mayo was way way way more highly regarded than Hightower right off the bat. He was DROTY after all. Hightower has gotten little to no praise anywhere, but here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Hightower plays the same "Ted" inside linebacker position as Spikes, stop comparing him to Mayo.  

It's too bad Mayo got hurt and Hightower is being forced to play outside his comfort zone and range but that's the way it is.  The elephant in the room that nobody is talking about, why the Jests could run so easily and why Geno Smith had all day to throw was the loss of Wilfork and Kelly.  It starts up front.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hightower plays the same "Ted" inside linebacker position as Spikes,

[/QUOTE]

Why did BB spend a 1st round pick for a guy to play the same spot as his 2nd round pick?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Why did BB spend a 1st round pick for a guy to play the same spot as his 2nd round pick?

Because Spikes is a free agent next season and might think he's worth more than he is, also you can never have enough healthy linebackers as Mayo is proving right now.  I think eventually Collins will slide into that weakside outside spot vacated by Mayo but for now you play your vets who at least know where they're supposed to be.  

The bigger issue is the loss of Vince and Kelly, no push inside means no sacks for Jones and outside rushers, means QB's have all day to throw, this is the same defensive issues we saw with Kyle Love and Deaderick as our other starting DT's the past few years and everyone insisting our linebackers couldn't cover or do anything well... flash forward to Vince and Kelly starting and we had the best defense in the NFL.  

It starts inside, we're having a defensive tackle problem, not a linebacker problem.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because Spikes is a free agent next season and might think he's worth more than he is, also you can never have enough healthy linebackers as Mayo is proving right now.  I think eventually Collins will slide into that weakside outside spot vacated by Mayo but for now you play your vets who at least know where they're supposed to be.  

The bigger issue is the loss of Vince and Kelly, no push inside means no sacks for Jones and outside rushers, means QB's have all day to throw, this is the same defensive issues we saw with Kyle Love and Deaderick as our other starting DT's the past few years and everyone insisting our linebackers couldn't cover or do anything well... flash forward to Vince and Kelly starting and we had the best defense in the NFL.  

It starts inside, we're having a defensive tackle problem, not a linebacker problem.

[/QUOTE]

I agree the D was looking pretty good. Losing the best 3 players is a devastating blow. And losing Kelly is pouring gas on the fire.

It's going to be a tough year, but I still think we will win the division. The rest of the teams are still stiffs. I don't see deep into the playoffs in our future though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I have been banging this drum for 2 years now. I look at Hightower and see James Harrison. He should be rushing the passer and setting the edge, not chasing TE's and RB's...BB beat Pitts regularly by getting Harrison out in coverage. Now the same thing is happening with Hightower. Hightower is playing the wrong defense for his strengths...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The big problem with Wilfork gone is they have no one who can double team blockers effectively or successfully hold the point when double teamed. They've been getting the sacks using more of a speed/pentration style of defense inside, but they aren't a group that's going to collapse the pocket with pure power like Wilfork could do.  And they also are getting pushed back a lot in the run.  

I don't think either Spikes or Hightower are much in coverage, but with Wilfork and Kelly out they do help compensate for the lack of power among the DTs.  This is the catch-22.  We need the big powerful LBs to make up for the loss of power among the DTs, but that doesn't help our pass coverage.  I think Wozzy is right that the ideal situation is that someone with more speed and sideline to sideline ability can take over for Mayo.  Most likely, that's Collins, but maybe Fletcher or even Beauharnais.  It will take time, but let's see how it develops as the season progresses. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree it starts up,front and ripples back. Kelly will be back and we should be better up front, hopefully armstead can add something. 

However, when Vince and Kelly were in, they were great at stopping the run, but I didn't see much penetration on a consistent basis. Hightower is directly affected because of the mayo loss like u said. Asking him to do something he just wasn't built to do. Now if we had a more consistent rush, yes, we might be able to camouflage that a bit, however, he's still operating in space. We need to use him in a different capacity. Collins is the key here but I don't see him coming on as the season progresses. Is it me or has his development been slow?

i know you talked earlier in the season about returning more to a 3 man line. Maybe when Kelly and armstead return, that is the way to go? Yes, we don't have the big nt, but forston backed up by spikes and Hightower inside  seem capable. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree the D was looking pretty good. Losing the best 3 players is a devastating blow. And losing Kelly is pouring gas on the fire.

It's going to be a tough year, but I still think we will win the division. The rest of the teams are still stiffs. I don't see deep into the playoffs in our future though.

[/QUOTE]

Agree that we need to get healthy, but while we're taking injury hits, so are other teams.  

If we can keep the players we have right now healthy, get Kelly, Talib and Amendola back and maybe add more productive players, if Armstead or AJ Francis emerges we can still win it all.  We need health and the rookies to contribute, Logan Ryan and Duron Harmon have played well and should continue to progress.  I'm still optimistic about our chances, we haven't played all the cards in our hand yet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know you talked earlier in the season about returning more to a 3 man line. Maybe when Kelly and armstead return, that is the way to go? Yes, we don't have the big nt, but forston backed up by spikes and Hightower inside  seem capable. 

[/QUOTE]

I think it's the modern nature of the NFL passing attack that we find ourselves running a nickel as our base package, if the regular season morphs back into the days of old you would see more traditional 3/4, but that won't happen, if at all until the playoffs and even then you need the quality of bodies to do it.  We just have to hope that Jones, Armstead and AJ Francis can get the job done, I have high hopes for all three players, but at the very least one or two will emerge as a dominant every down player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I would agree with many of the posters here that have indicated that it's important to recognize Hightower for what he is and what he is not.  He's a big (some would say massive) linebacker who can play both inside and outside>  However, he's not built to do everything Mayo can do.  He was the playcaller because BB felt he was the best qualified for the job in Mayo's absence.  Double duty was new to him (as it would have been to any of the linebackers out there) and I'm guessing it effected his play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

The Pats have three very good linebackers plus a rookie that we will have a chance to see. 

Many here trash Mayo and that is a joke. Mayo is an excellent linebacker. If you do not like him I do not care in the least.

Now some here are trashing Hightower. He is becoming a really realy good player. He could be a fairly dominant player in this league and he loosk like he will be. McGinest was not incredibly fast or the worlds best pass rusher but he was excellent and could do a lot of things well and came up with big plays. I think Hightower is a bit like Willie. And if you think he, at 270, is goiong to run and cover like a 235 linebacker or a safety you are not too bright. But he does what he does well, including hitting people, like TEs, at the line. If you dont like him I dont care in the least. Very glad to have him.

Having the injuries at DT and Mayo will mnake everyone look worse... unless the bench steps up BIG time. But ragging on good players is either stupid or you just dont know much about football.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

Spikes was your 2nd best player on sunday.  Hightower? not so good.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Hightower for comparison purposes is Adalius Thomas without the attitude. AD was 6'2, 270 pounds and ended his career with 53 sacks and 53 pass deflections. Imo, Hightower should play the same role, as in a versatile player who again, should be rushing the passer, jamming TE's at the LOS before passing them off in the zone(Vrabel, Willie) dropping back in the zone and putting his bigassss hands up in passing windows and setting the edge in the run game. He can slide to the middle on neccessary plays, but inside LBer's are not 270 pounds because they seem to have trouble running with 250 pound TE's and 190 pound RB's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I expected big things this year from him.  But after Sunday he looked more lost then Tyrone McKenzie.

I remember getting killed for starting that thread...............lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Pats have three very good linebackers plus a rookie that we will have a chance to see. 

Many here trash Mayo and that is a joke. Mayo is an excellent linebacker. If you do not like him I do not care in the least.

Now some here are trashing Hightower. He is becoming a really realy good player. He could be a fairly dominant player in this league and he loosk like he will be. McGinest was not incredibly fast or the worlds best pass rusher but he was excellent and could do a lot of things well and came up with big plays. I think Hightower is a bit like Willie. And if you think he, at 270, is goiong to run and cover like a 235 linebacker or a safety you are not too bright. But he does what he does well, including hitting people, like TEs, at the line. If you dont like him I dont care in the least. Very glad to have him.

Having the injuries at DT and Mayo will mnake everyone look worse... unless the bench steps up BIG time. But ragging on good players is either stupid or you just dont know much about football.

[/QUOTE]

What on God's green earth has Hightower done as of yet to convince ANY of us that he is becoming a "really, really good player"!  That's downright hilarious!! And it's not that we THINK he's going to run and cover like a linebacker, BB is EXPECTING him to!  That's why BB gave him the green dot and put him at MLB. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Hightower looked lost on pass coverage and could not stay with the people he was supposed to cover.....In my opinion...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What am I missing?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe Mayo was way way way more highly regarded than Hightower right off the bat. He was DROTY after all. Hightower has gotten little to no praise anywhere, but here.

[/QUOTE]

Mayo got praise outside of here but I remember well people on this board calling Mayo overrated and everything very similar to this Hightower talk, esp in Mayo's 2nd year. So that's what I was referring to.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to theshinez's comment:

What on God's green earth has Hightower done as of yet to convince ANY of us that he is becoming a "really, really good player"!  That's downright hilarious!! And it's not that we THINK he's going to run and cover like a linebacker, BB is EXPECTING him to!  That's why BB gave him the green dot and put him at MLB. 

So a few weeks ago when we had the number one or two ranked defense in the NFL our players were good, but now with injuries to Vince and Kelly they are suddenly bad?  The concept of "team" sports seems to be lost on you.  

Spikes and Hightower have the same skill set, both play the "ted" position in the 3/4 (Ted Johnson) or the "sam" strong side linebacker in the 4/3, they both excel playing at the line of scrimmage, coming up to meet pulling guards or fullbacks, shedding blockers and making the tackle.  The opposite of that position is the one that Mayo played, more athletic of the two, the "mike" linebacker position that Bruschi made famous known for playing out in space, in coverage, late delayed pass rush plays and timely interceptions.  

Just because Hightower for basically his entire Patriot's career has been asked to play outside his comfort zone because Spikes was sitting there doesn't make him a bad player.  When we had a healthy Vince and Kelly all of our linebackers looked good, when we had Kyle Love at DT none of our linebackers could cover or do anything apparently.  It starts inside.  And I'll tell you what if you thought Spikes looked good as a middle linebacker with a healthy defensive front and Mayo next to him, Hightower will look even better because he has more range, is better in coverage and is bigger.  Hightower has not scratched the surface on how good he can be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

What am I missing?

[/QUOTE]

He IS pretty good at stuffing the run and can rush the passer. He cant cover downfield same as the other backers we have. BB has succeeded in drafting 3 tackling machines that cant cover in a passing league. Bet you Rusty wont point THAT out...lol

Fact is Mayo isnt any good at covering either but he does a good job at staying WITH the Wr/TE which usually discourages a throw to his area. When a QB has confidence and still throws it,. weve seen Mayo cant make a play on the ball. He faceguards and tries to get his hands up at last minute but we saw vs Tony G, that technique is rarely effective and gets flagged for P/I. I heard Fletcher could cover and would help but he has been a no show. Our Backers never were good in coverage, but our pass rush back in the day negated it and we always gave up yards in the flat.  We miss mayo cuz he had the speed to stick to them, but he has no ball skills. You would think by now BB would have just drafted a 230 lb undersized backer and call it a day but ahhhh, one must stop the run first....How did that work out last week? Not much ypc, but they sure KEPT the ball and played keep away.

Collins has been lost. Not a good sign for a 2nd round pick. Gregory cant cover TE's. We have a F*ck situtation going on with covering TE's. Its not gonna chance this year, unfortunately. Maybe we can trade Hightower for Chris Clemons...Who it that? Oh,  we will see him next week. See what a real Safety looks like.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What am I missing?

[/QUOTE]

He IS pretty good at stuffing the run and can rush the passer. He cant cover downfield same as the other backers we have. BB has succeeded in drafting 3 tackling machines that cant cover in a passing league. Bet you Rusty wont point THAT out...lol

Fact is Mayo isnt any good at covering either but he does a good job at staying WITH the Wr/TE which usually discourages a throw to his area. When a QB has confidence and still throws it,. weve seen Mayo cant make a play on the ball. He faceguards and tries to get his hands up at last minute but we saw vs Tony G, that technique is rarely effective and gets flagged for P/I. I heard Fletcher could cover and would help but he has been a no show. Our Backers never were good in coverage, but our pass rush back in the day negated it and we always gave up yards in the flat.  We miss mayo cuz he had the speed to stick to them, but he has no ball skills. You would think by now BB would have just drafted a 230 lb undersized backer and call it a day but ahhhh, one must stop the run first....How did that work out last week? Not much ypc, but they sure KEPT the ball and played keep away.

Collins has been lost. Not a good sign for a 2nd round pick. Gregory cant cover TE's. We have a F*ck situtation going on with covering TE's. Its not gonna chance this year, unfortunately. Maybe we can trade Hightower for Chris Clemons...Who it that? Oh,  we will see him next week. See what a real Safety looks like.

[/QUOTE]

Pump the breaks bro,  let's revisit what Collins is next year.  I know BB took him in the second, but that's not his fault.  You can say he's a second round pick and needs to contribute as BB invested a lot in him; however, they got the guy they wanted who may need sometime to learn the game. 

I am sure he is trying to learn the game and find his nitch.  Which the staff is trying to figure out his best role on the team as well. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What am I missing?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pump the breaks bro,  let's revisit what Collins is next year.  I know BB took him in the second, but that's not his fault.  You can say he's a second round pick and needs to contribute as BB invested a lot in him; however, they got the guy they wanted who may need sometime to learn the game. 

I am sure he is trying to learn the game and find his nitch.  Which the staff is trying to figure out his best role on the team as well. 

[/QUOTE]

so has he looked lost  or not? Why is it so hard for people to accept facts?  Did I say he was a bad guy or not working hard? I just said he looks lost?  Chill out Getzo. Im bringing some perspective here. I challenge to point out where Im wrong? I dont know about next year. I know he was on the field earlier and less now which is usually a bad sign. I will speak about how he looks next year....next year.