How many problem-players can the Pats acquire before they BECOME the problems

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

How many problem-players can the Pats acquire before they BECOME the problems

I remember when the Patriots traded for Corey Dillon and his unprecedented "baggage" playing for those terrible Bengals teams of the late 1990's and everyone remembers how well that worked out for the Pats.

Similarly, Randy Moss came in and set the world on fire.

Now people want to bring in all manner of problem-children because they think that simply wearing a Patriots uniform will fix all that ails them.  As proven this year, this is no longer true.  Strong, outspoken personalities like McGinnest, Harrison, Bruschi, and Vrabel no longer make their livings in Foxborough and it's clear that nobody has stepped up to fill the void (also in part because there are no playmakers that demand respect).

Knowing that the Pats don't have strong enough leadership in the locker room to force people to fall into line, how could they possibly handle a player like Brandon Marshall, among others?

With all of the Belichick disciples everywhere else, has it become necessary to take more risks in order to acquire players that can help because their old prototypes are in such high demand?

*I admit that, after writing this, signing Plaxico "The-guy-who-did-stuff-in-his-free-time-that-made-him-feel-compelled-to-buy-a-gun-for-protection" Burress would be a very bad idea in this regard despite previous lobbying to the contrary

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: How many problem-players can the Pats acquire before they BECOME the problems

Probably not too many.  Those players that have talent, character and leadership don't come around very often.  I always though the Moss problems were exaggerated due to some other receivers out there who had issues.  I think people just wanted to put him in the same category as TO because of how talented they both were. 

Mayo may have talent and character but until he becomes a playmaker I don't think he will truly be a respected leader.  I think the Pats need to look at disgruntled players and see if their complaints are from immaturity or they are valid.  Marshall appears to be immature IMO, Boldin is unhappy about his contract.  Plaxico thinks he is a gangster but I don't know if jail has changes his attitude.  Before Plaxico's incident he was always a team player he just ran his mouth too much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: How many problem-players can the Pats acquire before they BECOME the problems

The Patriots have not acquired many "problem players" in the Belichick era. The players discussed on this forum are speculation. I don't believe the Patriots have expressed any interest in them, at least not publicly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maninCA. Show maninCA's posts

Shennenigan;

You always thought Moss' problems were "overblown" because of the problems caused by other receivers???  You do know the guy acutally walked off the field during a game.  Not after the game, during it.  Then refused to play until he was traded (after nearly running over a traffic cop).

Then, after refusing to play for one team until he got traded, he again refused to play for THAT team (Raiders) until he got traded again.  Those weren't real problems??

Because Moss didn't blow up or vent doesn't mean he was any less of a problem than any other reciever.  T.O was also fine in Philly for a year when his team was winning and McNab was throwing him the ball consistently.  Same holds true with Moss.  In fact, almost ANY receiver is happy on a team that wins and throws them the ball consistently.  

You can't have too many front runner type guys like that on a team though, because you need guys to step up in tough games like the one last Saturday at Gillete.  You need leaders that actually play HARDER and elevate their level of play when the chips are down rather than we things are going well. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

ManinCA
    I don't know where you're getting your info, Moss has only missed 6 games in his career and those were when he was injured.  I have never heard of him refusing to play, A Raiders OC said he lacked effort because his skills were diminishing and he wouldn't try new techniques.  The next year Moss broke the single season TD record and that OC is unemployed.  I think it's safe to say the OC was a moron and all the players knew it.  Yes, Moss didn't stop for a cop and continued rolling forward when she stood in front of his car.  That incident was in 2002, and to be honest with you I don't think it's right, but I also think guys in thier early 20's do stupid things.  He walked off the field with 0:02 seconds left in the game in 2004 when his team was kicking the ball to the Redskins who were ahead.  Basically Moss had a couple incidents over 6 years ago. 

Owens on the other hand makes news by getting into arguments and badmouthing his teammates every year since he's been in the NFL.  I see Moss as a guy who did stupid stuff when he was young and then grew up, he does lots of Charity work now.  Owens is more of a guy who can't get along with anybody and still blames everyone else for his problems to this day.  So , I don't believe they are in the same category.  If you think so that's fine, it's your opinion.