How the Postseason O can Improve

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

How the Postseason O can Improve

This game was basically a replay of Jets 2010.  The Ravens played nickel all game allowing them to blanket all of the underneath routes we like to run and as great as Welker, Hern and Lloyd are none of them are guys that I would say are open even when they are covered.  Unlike the Jets game we actually tried to run against the nickel and were highly unsuccessful.  Mostly because our TEs got abused as blockers. Fells did okay, but Hoho and Hernandez got chumped by Suggs and Kruger.  Not many defenses have the personnel to be able to pull off this strategy, but it is something we are probably going to have to overcome if we are going to win another Lombardi unless we get lucky and avoid a defense with this capability in the postseason.

In my view one of 3 things needs to happen:

1) Gronk needs to stay healthy

2) We need a TE to backup Gronk who can actually block and catch (either via the draft or Ballard)

3) We need a WR with some size who is more of a threat to run some different routes in the route tree.  Doesn't need to be elite, but needs to be someone who is "open even when they are covered" and draws some attention away from the middle of the field against the nickel.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: How the Postseason O can Improve

Can't seem to edit my post.  What are people's opinions on the offseason options to make 2 or 3 a reality?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Ballard is that option on 2

I'm sure some aging veteran will be the answer to 3

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Hope Ballard lives up to expectations.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Nobody who goes over the middle is the answer. I love how people point to Gronk but forget he was here in some playoff losses. If teams are staying in nickel and flooding the middle how would gronk caught a bunch of balls?? This team needs a real stud outside. Not MR.sideline"dont touch me" LLoyd. He is a # 2, finesse/posession type. We need a guy who weighs more than 200 lbs and is over 6'2" who can run. A guy who can fight for balls and get off of man/press coverage. Teams can cover us one on one outside and put all defenders in middle. more tight ends wont help. Oh uh and Fells caught NO passes and hernandez was tackled right away after every catch. GO GET LARRY! NOW!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

WE WON'T GET LARRY NOW!......that isn't the Patriots way....and before the offseason chatter starts. We won't get Wallace either. We will go low budget in FA or draft a future prospect.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Ballard if healthy is not even a question, he is an All Pro tightend talent. He's kind of like Gronk but the opposite, he is as punishing a blocker as Gronk is a receiver.  He still does damage in the pass game because he has soft hands, he just isn't as fleet of foot.  Automatically the Pats are subtantially better at tightend with his addition and with both he and Gronk around the goalline TD's should come easy.

Beyond that this team needs to get meaner, his addition will certainly help.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Hartline, Jennings or Earl Bennett (if released). 

I do find it somehow pathetic that there is this built in concept, one that started in 2007 when Brady's cast was loaded, as it is now, where this mystery opposite flanker to Lloyd somehow change things.

Personally, I think part of the reason why BB isn't caving to Welker is because he sees the addiction just like he did with Moss.   How many interior plays do we need to run?   Why is load running 5 -10 yard slants all the time?

If Brady is going to stare down binkies over the middle, obsesed with only throwing to them and not throwing to the perimeters, not wanting to set up playaction under center, etc, it wouldn't matter if Jerry Rice was opposite Lloyd in 2013.

The fact is, Baltimore knows Brady prefers to wait on a Welker or Hernandez to shake coverage as he expects top notch protection, waiting on it.

Do you understand that we dont HAVE any real perimeter players to go to against good teams?? Wes is gonna seperate outside.??? or LLoyd?? how about Branch??? LOL

U keep talkin about not going to his binkies but what else does he have? Hernandez caught 9 balls!  Noone else CAN GET OPEN!  Dam Dude, I keep hearing how football smart you are but u keep proving those people wrong. Must be more of your fake accounts!  Hey here comes WOzzy!  Hows it going?? You here to get Rustys back!  lol

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Why can't Hernandez separate outside? We've seen it before. Put Branch on the nickel or just simply stop obsessing over shotgun spreads as much as they do, especially without playaction established.

Would it hurt to tell Lloyd to run some kind of a hitch or stutter-go route early in the game to show he can and will absolutely be targeted deep?

It's about strategy and approach, not just randomly running different plays.

You'll never get it.  5 years from now you'll be defending Brady's flaws as flanker after flanker is brought in not able to be up to his outlandish standards.

Didnt I Just point out that Hernandez had 9 catches and you are talking about binkies so do YOU want Brady throwing more than 9 times to ONe target??

Why are you asking me questions that cant be answered. Why cant hernandez seperate outside?? IDK, he can against some Cbs but he IS a TE by name so why do you expect him to dominate outside.  Why are you asking me about LLoyds Role here???  All these QUESTIONS you have should be directed to the Genius HC but you choose to blame Brady for ALL the problems this team have which are direct result of poor free agency and poor drafting that causes this team to RELY ON ONE PLAYER and he does a dam good job until Teams come after him like Rabid Dogs in the postseason and BB comes up with AWFUL Gameplans but yea lets Blame one guy for the BIGGEST team Sport in AMERICA! 

Learn the Game!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Nobody who goes over the middle is the answer. I love how people point to Gronk but forget he was here in some playoff losses. If teams are staying in nickel and flooding the middle how would gronk caught a bunch of balls?? This team needs a real stud outside. Not MR.sideline"dont touch me" LLoyd. He is a # 2, finesse/posession type. We need a guy who weighs more than 200 lbs and is over 6'2" who can run. A guy who can fight for balls and get off of man/press coverage. Teams can cover us one on one outside and put all defenders in middle. more tight ends wont help. Oh uh and Fells caught NO passes and hernandez was tackled right away after every catch. GO GET LARRY! NOW!

Gronk played a part in one playoff loss. And that was his rookie season where he only caught 42 passes and had only 1 catch in 8 of the games. If you want to count the Giants game, fine, but he clearly wasn't the same player.

With what you said about Nickel, Gronk is a great blocker. The running game suffered the most with the absence of gronk. Also, if you remember, there was a play in the game where Hern had 3 guys around him. He made the catch, but with Gronk on the field, Hern will never see 3 guys on him.

Gronk will either abuse single coverage or draw two guys from him, which theoretically, opens up someone else.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Ballard if healthy is not even a question, he is an All Pro tightend talent. He's kind of like Gronk but the opposite, he is as punishing a blocker as Gronk is a receiver.  He still does damage in the pass game because he has soft hands, he just isn't as fleet of foot.  Automatically the Pats are subtantially better at tightend with his addition and with both he and Gronk around the goalline TD's should come easy.

Beyond that this team needs to get meaner, his addition will certainly help.

Ballard an All Pro talent? He's played one season and was undrafted coming out of college, lets slow down with this All Pro talk. He's also coming off an injury

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Ballard was very unhappy about the Pats grabbing him. He has said nothing in the intrim either. If he doesn't want to be here that could be a problem. I do agree, he could help.

We need a wide out, Lloyd, sorry not the guy

RB seems solid....that is if we let them play (don't get me started)

Our O line is troubled

Mankins hasn't been Mankins and he's hauling down 9 mil per and could get whacked.

Volmer aint been Volmer since they moved him to right Tackle, I don't like him there. And now with a bad back he may be gone.

Could use a true Center as well

I would like Brady to sense his time is closing and go back to being the first one in and last one out. He's gotten really stiff legged and looks gimpy at times. His throws could be more on the mark as well. Run some in the off season, lift some weights, get stronger if you can.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Ballard was very unhappy about the Pats grabbing him. He has said nothing in the intrim either. If he doesn't want to be here that could be a problem. I do agree, he could help.

We need a wide out, Lloyd, sorry not the guy

RB seems solid....that is if we let them play (don't get me started)

Our O line is troubled

Mankins hasn't been Mankins and he's hauling down 9 mil per and could get whacked.

Volmer aint been Volmer since they moved him to right Tackle, I don't like him there. And now with a bad back he may be gone.

Could use a true Center as well

I would like Brady to sense his time is closing and go back to being the first one in and last one out. He's gotten really stiff legged and looks gimpy at times. His throws could be more on the mark as well. Run some in the off season, lift some weights, get stronger if you can.

Vollmer has thrived at RT. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Gronk played a part in one playoff loss. And that was his rookie season where he only caught 42 passes and had only 1 catch in 8 of the games. If you want to count the Giants game, fine, but he clearly wasn't the same player.

With what you said about Nickel, Gronk is a great blocker. The running game suffered the most with the absence of gronk. Also, if you remember, there was a play in the game where Hern had 3 guys around him. He made the catch, but with Gronk on the field, Hern will never see 3 guys on him.

Gronk will either abuse single coverage or draw two guys from him, which theoretically, opens up someone else.

Thats fair and I agree mostly. I just think his impact was more blocking that was missed in the run game. I disagree that we need more players to work the middle. We did miss Gronk in the run game but we are a passing team,. the lack of a true outside threat is what allowed to them to stay in the middle and thats the biggest key in my mind. Lloyd is bipolar. Makes amazing catches and then dissapears for quarters at a time. What Brady is doing wrong is he is no longer spreading the ball around but how can he when he was 2 Superior Options and the rest is trash? It was better when we had a bunch of capable players but no stars. Graham,Watson, Furia, Patten, Givens, Brown, Faulk, Branch were ALL productive POSTSEASON performers now....not so much

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Volmer has been iffy at right tackle...iffy. His first season he was left tackle and looked great.

I ain't seen him do squat at right. And remember this, there ain't no 300 lb linemen in the NFL with bad backs. He's likely done.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

There has been so much said about Welker and deep threats that I won't continue that here.

I will however talk about the RB's.

A lot has to do with what they do about Welker and a deep threat.  Lets just say the resign Welker or magically find someone good  enough to replace him that defense will respect and they get a good, respected deep threat.

A respected deep threat and a good short to mid field passing game combined with the TE's will really open up the field.  The defense won't be able to crowd the line of scrimmage like they would be able to without a deep threat.  So this will be huge for the running game and I think the current RB's would be fine.

However, if they don't get a legit respected deep threat then defense don't worry about the deep ball and they can play closer to the line of scrimmage which will cause all sorts of problems for the run game.  At this point the Pats would need to get a really good power featured back and drop a couple of the current RB's.

Now, Ridley worries me.  He fumbles but more importantly he was knocked the heck out cold last Sunday.   This isn't good.  Once you take a hit like that you aren't the same physically or mentally.  Mentally you will tend to play a bit afraid.  Physically, once you suffer a hit like that and go out cold the concussions are going to come easier and more often.  So they will really need to work Bolden in to be ready.  Vereen, he looks like he can be a third down back or even used more of a receiving back.  He has one season hurt and one season healthy so is his injury problems behind him?  Is he durable?  He didn't get a lot of playing time this season so we can't answer that yet.  Why he wasn't part of the game plan against the Ravens is crazy to me!  Woodhead, well it depends. I like him, he can help spark the team so keep him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Yup....read my Vereen's Reward Post.

Somebody needs a bitcx slapping for the brain dead decision to bench him until the 3rd quarter.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

so we only keep a player till he takes a really hard hit? then he's done?...crazy talk

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Ridley will be OK. And I HATE Pollard (unless of course he came here)

That being said. Ridley lowered his head and initiated head to head contact.

Pollard ain't no Angel but he did not initiate the helmet to helmet shot.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

so we only keep a player till he takes a really hard hit? then he's done?...crazy talk

I must have must have missed.  Did someone say get rid of Ridley?