How To Beat The Colts.....?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

How To Beat The Colts.....?

We're 1-4 in the last 5 games vs. the Colts.

Considering that this game may have playoff implications regarding byes and home field advantage - it would be good for the Patriots to come away with a win.

We are still "weak" with our pass rush - and few teams have gotten enough pressure on Manning (not many sacks on Manning this year). Either we have to find a way to get to Manning - or our linebackers and secondary better cover well. Do we focus on getting to Manning or do we harass their receivers at the line to disrupt their timing?

The questions is: What do the Patriots need to do to beat the Colts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: How To Beat The Colts.....?

In Response to How To Beat The Colts.....?:
    [QUOTE]We're 1-4 in the last 5 games vs. the Colts. Considering that this game may have playoff implications regarding byes and home field advantage - it would be good for the Patriots to come away with a win. We are still "weak" with our pass rush - and few teams have gotten enough pressure on Manning (not many sacks on Manning this year). Either we have to find a way to get to Manning - or our linebackers and secondary better cover well. Do we focus on getting to Manning or do we harass their receivers at the line to disrupt their timing? The questions is: What do the Patriots need to do to beat the Colts?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

We need to Blitz. If we don't get pressure he will find an open guy no matter how much we dog their receivers.That being said I'm not sure we will. History shows that the Pats don't like blitzing Good QB's like Manning out of fear of giving up the Big play..If we want to win we need to play better on offense than we did against Miami.The Colts can most likely score 20+ points against us so we need to be close to 30 to win this one. Let's hope the refs keep the flags in their pockets and we don't turn the ball over.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

[QUOTE]We're 1-4 in the last 5 games vs. the Colts. Considering that this game may have playoff implications regarding byes and home field advantage - it would be good for the Patriots to come away with a win. We are still "weak" with our pass rush - and few teams have gotten enough pressure on Manning (not many sacks on Manning this year). Either we have to find a way to get to Manning - or our linebackers and secondary better cover well. Do we focus on getting to Manning or do we harass their receivers at the line to disrupt their timing? The questions is: What do the Patriots need to do to beat the Colts?

I'm so glad someone finally posted this.

I was too lazy to look up when was the last time NE beat the Colts but thanks for doing it.

I have been so tired of seeing people post "Pats dominated the Colts this decade"...

WHO CARES!!!

This is a typical case of what have you done for me lately. 

I dont care how many times they have beat the colts in the past.  Since NE last SB win the Colts have been winning this rivalry.

Dont give me the penalty situation either. 

Every team gets questionable calls. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The Dolphins showed how to beat the Colts without actually accomplishing it.

You keep the ball.

Long, sustained drives that rest the defense and keep Manning off the field are key. The problem is, the Pats offense is not designed to do this, which is why of late the Pats have typically been losing shoot-outs to the Colts (or actually shooting themselves in the foot, as they did last season).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

Blitz, Blitz, Blitz to cause Manning to make mistakes. And get Indy's d-line under control. If that happens then this game is in the bag.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: How To Beat The Colts.....?:
    [QUOTE]The Dolphins showed how to beat the Colts without actually accomplishing it. You keep the ball. Long, sustained drives that rest the defense and keep Manning off the field are key. The problem is, the Pats offense is not designed to do this, which is why of late the Pats have typically been losing shoot-outs to the Colts (or actually shooting themselves in the foot, as they did last season).
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

You raise an excellent point. If we keep the score down via ball control (aka, running a lot) it will reduce the number of possessions that the Colts have for scoring opportunities. Is Maroney up to the task?

Will the coaching staff play more conservatively - and play the field position game as well? Will BB take more risk on 4th and short/long because he thinks we need to score TDs vs. FGs?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to How To Beat The Colts.....? : We need to Blitz. If we don't get pressure he will find an open guy no matter how much we dog their receivers.That being said I'm not sure we will. History shows that the Pats don't like blitzing Good QB's like Manning out of fear of giving up the Big play..If we want to win we need to play better on offense than we did against Miami.The Colts can most likely score 20+ points against us so we need to be close to 30 to win this one. Let's hope the refs keep the flags in their pockets and we don't turn the ball over.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

True. Field goals will definitely not cut it....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Change team name to san diego patriots....I cat remember the last time san diego lost ot the Dolts....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The Colts haven't put up mega-numbers on offense this year (except against the mighty Rams), so I don't see what why we're getting our panties in a bunch over Poutin Peyton.  The frigginn Niners and Texans held them to 18 and 20 points in their track meet dome the past two weeks.  Our offense just has to finish drives in the red zone and we'll be fine.  But it would be nice if we picked off Manning a few times, just for kicks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The Pats will win this game because of 2 reasons.

1. Our offense is better then the Colts.
    2. Our Defense is better then the Colts.

Yes the Colts beat us when Reche Caldwell was our #1 wr(Barely) and yes they beat us when Matt Cassel was our starting Qb(Barely) they will not beat us on Sunday Night. Pats win by 10!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coltiniraq. Show coltiniraq's posts

[QUOTE]The Colts haven't put up mega-numbers on offense this year (except against the mighty Rams), so I don't see what why we're getting our panties in a bunch over Poutin Peyton.  The frigginn Niners and Texans held them to 18 and 20 points in their track meet dome the past two weeks.  Our offense just has to finish drives in the red zone and we'll be fine.  But it would be nice if we picked off Manning a few times, just for kicks.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

40 points once and 30 three times, oh wait 4 times after Sunday. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

As long as they play better and have one more point thant the Colts, Pats win!

Right now, it may be a coin flip as to which O is better, Manning is playing lights out while Brady is finally coming into form.  Red Zone issues and inability to consistently put the ball into the endzone, instead of coming away with FGs, could be huge.  The biggest difference, IMHO, will be the defense.  Even though the Colts D is dinged up, a lack of pressure on Manning could spell doom for the Pats.  Give him time and he picks the D apart.  3rd down defense definitely needs to improve.  Lastly, if the Pats don't pin a loss on the Colts now, and both are in the playoffs, with equal records, do we want to see the Pats AGAIN in the Luke Dome in a playoff game?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

[QUOTE]The Colts haven't put up mega-numbers on offense this year (except against the mighty Rams), so I don't see what why we're getting our panties in a bunch over Poutin Peyton.  The frigginn Niners and Texans held them to 18 and 20 points in their track meet dome the past two weeks.  Our offense just has to finish drives in the red zone and we'll be fine.  But it would be nice if we picked off Manning a few times, just for kicks.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

Long and sustained drives and the defense has to dominate. You notice how the D line never does any stunts with the pass rush, and it is predicitable Someone has to shut down Clark, and he has to be jammed or deflected at the line. It will take the whole team and the coaches have to have some new plan in mind. Again, keep Manning off the field for as long as possible and keep em out of the EZ. The Patriots must score touchdowns and not settle on Gostowski alone if they can help it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to How To Beat The Colts.....? : We need to Blitz. If we don't get pressure he will find an open guy no matter how much we dog their receivers.That being said I'm not sure we will. History shows that the Pats don't like blitzing Good QB's like Manning out of fear of giving up the Big play..If we want to win we need to play better on offense than we did against Miami.The Colts can most likely score 20+ points against us so we need to be close to 30 to win this one. Let's hope the refs keep the flags in their pockets and we don't turn the ball over.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE] Should the Pats blitz Manning will have 500 yard day with at least 6td's. The Defensive line needs to penetrate disrupt and flush Manning out of the pocket and lay on some lunber. Manning dislikes hits.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How To Beat The Colts.....? : Should the Pats blitz Manning will have 500 yard day with at least 6td's. The Defensive line needs to penetrate disrupt and flush Manning out of the pocket and lay on some lunber. Manning dislikes hits.
    Posted by sonieboy[/QUOTE]

Ocassionally, they'll have to pressure Brady. I was thinking that the Patriots D will have to bump receivers at the line to disrupt their timing w/ Manning. - Also, control the clock a little by running the ball.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

Blitzing Manning is pointless. It will have to come from a disguised coverage with a fast DB coming from an obscured line of sight. Hell, NE lost 19-15 because of a dropped touchdwon pass. THe Colts secondary wil have plnety to deal with Moss and Welker and Faulk on the screen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Don't get the flu.

Practice this week with tapes of the same noise Bill Polian will be playing to simulate crowd noise.  Turn the heat way way up in the practice fieldhouse.

Practice really fast defensive substitution systems.  Practice tiny one second delaying tactics like not lifting yourself off the ball carrier until the ref forces you to move.  Know how far the 30 yard line is (an important limit for substitutions near the goal line).

Get Sea Bass used to Dwight Freeney's helicopter move. 

After that, what the hey?  On offense, spread formation, throw jump balls or to the outside shoulder at Moss (or sometimes to Watson) when in single coverage 40 yards down the field, otherwise dump it to Welker or to whoever is open, run when they don't respect the run, and wear down their D-line.  Encourage the rookie DBs to bite on all sorts of mistakes.  Maybe they'll fall apart. 

On defense, run BB's patented big nickel defense or maybe a big dime, drop 8 and rarely 9 into coverage, and put Brandon McGowan on Dallas Clark.  Lay big hits on receivers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]The Dolphins showed how to beat the Colts without actually accomplishing it. You keep the ball. Long, sustained drives that rest the defense and keep Manning off the field are key. The problem is, the Pats offense is not designed to do this, which is why of late the Pats have typically been losing shoot-outs to the Colts (or actually shooting themselves in the foot, as they did last season).
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

I agree with your assessment of how to beat the Colts. It's been the way to beat them all the way back to 2001.

You are also right, the Pats have not shown this year that they have what it takes to do this. The truth is...the Colts have a good defense. The best way for the Pats offense to stay on the field is to stay balanced and unpredictable...particularly on critical 3rd downs. Are the RBs up to it and will BB trust them enough? They need to be unpredictable even on passing plays. I still remember back in the good days when they would show how Brady distributed the ball really well. I don't see that anymore (yeah, even with Moss around). Lastly (this next statement may seem senseless but it does make sense), has anyone noticed that Brady does not seem as patient as he was earlier in his career, yet takes longer to release the ball?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How To Beat The Colts.....? : I agree with your assessment of how to beat the Colts. It's been the way to beat them all the way back to 2001. You are also right, the Pats have not shown this year that they have what it takes to do this. The truth is...the Colts have a good defense. The best way for the Pats offense to stay on the field is to stay balanced and unpredictable...particularly on critical 3rd downs. Are the RBs up to it and will BB trust them enough? They need to be unpredictable even on passing plays. I still remember back in the good days when they would show how Brady distributed the ball really well. I don't see that anymore (yeah, even with Moss around). Lastly (this next statement may seem senseless but it does make sense), has anyone noticed that Brady does not seem as patient as he was earlier in his career, yet takes longer to release the ball?
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Great point about trying to be unpredictable on offens (and defense, for that matter).  I think the offensive play calling will have to go beyond screen plays and short crossing patterns.  In addition, I think the defense will have to be very aggressive w/ the Colt's WR and Clark - attacking at the line and hoping they don't break long plays.

If we could get a TD from Special teams, that would be helpful?

and lastly, our punting game better be on - so, that we can try pinning the colts deep in their end.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Manhandle thier undersized recievers at the line of scrimmage and crush them downfield when they attempt to catch the ball...

Pressure Manning with well timed and calculated blitzes, get him off the field as quickly as possible...  we needs to create turnovers.

If there was ever a time to employ a power running game and smash an opposing team in the mouth the Colts are it. Thier defense is quick but undersized, nothing has changed, run right at them, control the time of possesion and keep Manning off the field.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I agree mostly with these posts here.  However, there is another factor I think we ALL have to think about.  'The REFS'! 
    Hopefully the officials are NOT a factor this weekend and let the teams decide it on the field!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

What do the Patriots need to do to beat the Colts?

The Pats have a mediocre pass rush so hoping for that to be better is a pipe dream. They can however play very physical and crush the receivers. This game will be played on carpet which may actually benefit the Pats for once. They now have corners and safeties who are fast and physical enough to hang with the Colt receivers. My two most important factors will be:
    1. Crush the run
    2. Mix up pass coverage and hope for an INT
    There's not much hope in stopping Manning but it is possible to get them to kick field goals and limit big plays.  Teams that have come close to beating Indy have made them throw 90% of the time and have put together long offensive drives to keep Manning off the field. It goes without saying that the offense needs to show up for the game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

They need to control TOP. The colts O line is all beat up and probably the weakest link so they need to run the ball and use Welker and Watson across the middle against their LB's. Keep Manning off the field and keep our D rested. Play calling is important this week, we can't take tons of shots down field. We need to call 4-5 yd designed plays and execute every down and kill them by a thousand slices like we used to do.

They need to watch the drive ending holding calls. 

They can't run the ball right now so take Clark out of the game and force it on the new WR's. Pats D could be ball hawking in the forth??

The Colts squeaked out wins against a couple teams a lot worse than the Pats so if we execute we win this game. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Manhandle thier undersized recievers at the line of scrimmage and crush them downfield when they attempt to catch the ball... Pressure Manning with well timed and calculated blitzes, get him off the field as quickly as possible...  we needs to create turnovers. If there was ever a time to employ a power running game and smash an opposing team in the mouth the Colts are it. Thier defense is quick but undersized, nothing has changed, run right at them, control the time of possesion and keep Manning off the field.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

this would have been a good opportunity for Freddy Taylor to run right up the gut,although Maroney was lowering the shoulder and initiating contact against a solid dolphins run D. We need some production from maroney and Faulk this game.  On defense we gotta take Clark out of the game just like Tony Gonzalez, look for Mcgowan to have help on Clark all day. I think we have to make Wayne work all game and lay some big hits on him when he makes his catches(which he will do) I don't think Addai's running will be too much of a factor but the screen passes are always dangerous with him.