Hoyer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Hoyer

Is it possible Hoyer could be the #2?  Nobody has even thought of it as a possibility, but O'Connell was #2 last year and Hoyer is far ahead of where he was.

I'm wondering if anyone thought of what I was thinking while watching today: Hoyer's throwing motion, and the trajectory of his passes, reminds me of Tony Romo.  I know opinions are split on the board on Romo, but at times it really seemed like I was watching a Romo clone out there.

Impressive stuff tonight.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyPieman. Show JohnnyPieman's posts

Re: Hoyer

I think he made a pretty good case for himself tonight.

If the Patriots end up trading for AJ Feeley, I'd keep Hoyer over Andrew Walter if we carry three QBs.

This is why I don't really care what a lot of sports writers and pundits think about personel, and I try not to panic without seeing what somebody can do first. There's a lot of guessing that's gussied up to look more informed than it is.

I must have read at least a dozen pieces online and in the paper that the Patriots wouldn't have any undrafted free agents on the roster this year because it just wasn't going to happen. Too many vets, too many free agents.

No way. 

QB Brian Hoyer getting a roster spot would kill that talking point.

And its funny that so many of the same folks who assumed QB Kevin O'Connell would be the number 2 back-up also assumed that there wouldn't be any undrafted free agents making the team this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

In Response to Re: Hoyer:
    [QUOTE]I think he made a pretty good case for himself tonight. If the Patriots end up trading for AJ Feeley, I'd keep Hoyer over Andrew Walter if we carry three QBs. This is why I don't really care what a lot of sports writers and pundits think about personel, and I try not to panic without seeing what somebody can do first. There's a lot of guessing that's gussied up to look more informed than it is. I must have read at least a dozen pieces online and in the paper that the Patriots wouldn't have any undrafted free agents on the roster this year because it just wasn't going to happen. Too many vets, too many free agents. No way.  QB Brian Hoyer getting a roster spot would kill that talking point. And its funny that so many of the same folks who assumed QB Kevin O'Connell would be the number 2 back-up also assumed that there wouldn't be any undrafted free agents making the team this year.
    Posted by JohnnyPieman[/QUOTE]   Now we know why KO was released. When will we as fans stop doubting BB on his decisions? I'll bet that all that watched the first 11/2 quarters of last evenings game was thinking that BH was another DUD and where asking yourselves why was KO released? Me too!! What we witnessed was a young qb maturing right in front of us. This kid was calm, cool, and collected, I'm impressed. Any doubters about BJGE, S. Williams or T. Nunn? There will be a lot of good players released this week by the Pats that will be players in this league for years to come. My guess is that JG will be released not that he can't play but that he is at the end and younger players are as qualified and he appears to be having difficulty learing the playbook , not to mention that he has had too many drops.  S. Morris may be on the bubble as well. In BB we trust!! Go Pats.
    What say you??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

In Response to Hoyer:
    [QUOTE]Is it possible Hoyer could be the #2?  Nobody has even thought of it as a possibility, but O'Connell was #2 last year and Hoyer is far ahead of where he was. I'm wondering if anyone thought of what I was thinking while watching today: Hoyer's throwing motion, and the trajectory of his passes, reminds me of Tony Romo.  I know opinions are split on the board on Romo, but at times it really seemed like I was watching a Romo clone out there. Impressive stuff tonight.
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]
    Good post me too, but I thought he reminded me of Ken Stabler when he first came into the league, but I can see the resemblance to Romo. Romo bails out whereas BH stands in and takes the hit in order to complete the play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Hoyer:
    [QUOTE]Is it possible Hoyer could be the #2?  Nobody has even thought of it as a possibility, but O'Connell was #2 last year and Hoyer is far ahead of where he was. I'm wondering if anyone thought of what I was thinking while watching today: Hoyer's throwing motion, and the trajectory of his passes, reminds me of Tony Romo.  I know opinions are split on the board on Romo, but at times it really seemed like I was watching a Romo clone out there. Impressive stuff tonight.
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE] before o-connell was cut,i had said he would challenge for the no.2 spot.the kid shows a lot of promise.in college he done real well.through out the pre-season he has only gotten better.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/2532/patriots-go-according-to-hoyer

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I agree Hoyer looked good, and it is obvious BB made the move with KO because Hoyer is already ahead of KO. Hoyer just has the "it" you want your QB to have in my opinion. If Patriots make a move it is AJ as #2 and Hoyer #3 and Walter gone because Hoyer won't make it to PS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I wouldn't look too deeply at what the guy does in a 4th preseason game but I also wouldn't overlook it.  In my mind he solidified a place on the team and negated a possible TE for Feely trade (ironically which may have been waiting on the Vick outcome, which came down hours earlier).  That's what's mutually beneficial - he's got a job, we've got a young guy who could develop.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1418909. Show user_1418909's posts

Walter will be the #2 Qb on this team for the moment. He has regular season experience a big arm and can handle the team much better then Hoyer at this point. Hoyer has a bigger upside for sure and may develop into a legit NFL QB but lets not get ahead of ourselves because of the results of the 4th preseaon game and how he played against 4th stringers in the second half of the game compared to early in the game against some 1st and 2nd stringers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMassKyle. Show CMassKyle's posts

Hoyer definitely played well last night, however I think we have to remember for the most part he was playing against the 3rd and 4th string guys of the Giants. When the starters were in Hoyer didn't do much. I think for this season atleast he will be the #3.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]Hoyer definitely played well last night, however I think we have to remember for the most part he was playing against the 3rd and 4th string guys of the Giants. When the starters were in Hoyer didn't do much. I think for this season atleast he will be the #3.

Posted by CMassKyle[/QUOTE] Thanks for the response. I agree to a point but the Pats O-Line were second teamers playing aganist the giants first teamers who bye the way are accustomed to playing together. Good post

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

[QUOTE]Hoyer definitely played well last night, however I think we have to remember for the most part he was playing against the 3rd and 4th string guys of the Giants. When the starters were in Hoyer didn't do much. I think for this season atleast he will be the #3.
    Posted by CMassKyle[/QUOTE]

Hoyer played with the second and third unit the entire game, where as the giants had the starters in early.

i think the fact that after half time hoyer came out and lit the giants up. Clearly they went over some things in the locker room, made some adjustments and the kid played really great. 

I loved the long completion he had with the giants lineman busting through for the sack! Hoyer could see him coming right at him, he stood in the pocket found his reciever and threw a perfect pass as he got hit. compare that to someone like vick that might have tried to scramble away and get sacked for a 10-20 yard loss.

Hoyer really impressed me tonight, and i feel confident if he was out number 2 heading into the season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Yes, he was playing against backups, but he was playing WITH backups too.  Don't you think he would have fared better against the Giants starters if he had Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and the starting O-Line?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

Hoyer looked real and has improved from when he saw action in I think game 1. He seems not to make the same mistake over and over,which is what I think did in O'Donnell.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

In Response to Hoyer:
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

Not being a homer here, but forget Romo and Stabler... I honestly think he looks like Brady.  Same downfield look, same foot work etc. 

I know he was playing against 2nd stringers, but now it's clear why KO was released in favor of Hoyer...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Hoyer showed lots of poise.  Granted it's garbage time in the 4th preseason game, but compared to Andre Woodson and Bomar from the Giants he looked like a 10 year veteran.  Very positive performance.  I'd still take Feeley if possible as a Number 2.   Walter is a stiff.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Big-Bad-Bruins91. Show Big-Bad-Bruins91's posts

I personally think that Hoyer could be this team's Steve Young.

I know it's only Pre-season, but I think the Patriots have to start looking for somebody to carry the torch once Tom does retire in 5-6 years. Hoyer looked really good last night, I'd like to keep this guy around.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Hoyer : Not being a homer here, but forget Romo and Stabler... I honestly think he looks like Brady.  Same downfield look, same foot work etc.  I know he was playing against 2nd stringers, but now it's clear why KO was released in favor of Hoyer...
    Posted by LifeTimePat[/QUOTE]

Ok Ok everyone settle down.  I know he looked good...he looked very good.  However how did he look in the first quarter when the Giants had some starters in the game?  he couldnt start moving the ball until later in the game, when the Giants were playing 2nd and third stringers.  Footwork like Brady?  Are you serious?  Remember when everyone was drooling over Michael Bishop?  Or how everyone thought Rohan Davey could be traded for a 2nd round pick?  Pre-season is just that...PRE season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Hoyer : Good post me too, but I thought he reminded me of Ken Stabler when he first came into the league, but I can see the resemblance to Romo. Romo bails out whereas BH stands in and takes the hit in order to complete the play.
    Posted by sonieboy[/QUOTE]

He reminds me of a young Seattle Slew.....would you people give me a break???  I am a die hard patriots fan, but settle down....with the Romo and Stabler comparisons....lets not pass the MVP trophy over to the kid just yet.  how about he play in a real game first?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]I personally think that Hoyer could be this team's Steve Young. I know it's only Pre-season, but I think the Patriots have to start looking for somebody to carry the torch once Tom does retire in 5-6 years. Hoyer looked really good last night, I'd like to keep this guy around.
    Posted by Big-Bad-Bruins91[/QUOTE]

I watched the first few series before the Giant's scrubs came on the field. Hoyer had to settle down? Or maybe he is not up to competing against the starters? I think the latter. Maybe in a few years, but right now a veteran is on his way here and Hoyer is #3.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hoyer : Ok Ok everyone settle down.  I know he looked good...he looked very good.  However how did he look in the first quarter when the Giants had some starters in the game?  he couldnt start moving the ball until later in the game, when the Giants were playing 2nd and third stringers.  Footwork like Brady?  Are you serious?  Remember when everyone was drooling over Michael Bishop?  Or how everyone thought Rohan Davey could be traded for a 2nd round pick?  Pre-season is just that...PRE season.
    Posted by slicksteve38[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree.  Yes he looked good and he avoided the kind of mistakes that got O'Connell dumped - the picks.  We'll see what happens but I'm guessing we'll pick up a vet qb either by trade or signing a cut victim.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Guys, seriously....you're right that we can't get TOO excited about Hoyer, but its EXTREMELY unfair to say that he couldn't do anything against the Giants starters...

He had the entire 2nd and 3rd team offense out there with him.  Brady might not have even been able to do anything with those guys.  Some of our backups are good players, but they're not going to beat the Giants starters.  Give Hoyer Moss, Welker, the starting O-line, Faulk, Taylor, and he would have faired MUCH better.  You have to take that into account.  Its not like he was the only back-up out there on offense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

This is the funniest thread I've ever seen - Romo?  Stabler?  Young?  BRADY?  Honestly, this reminds me of the crazy praise Cassel got when he had a few good preseason games.  Though ultimately justified, let's give this kid some time to see what he can turn into.  He's not starting any time soon - I can guarantee you that much.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

[QUOTE]This is the funniest thread I've ever seen - Romo?  Stabler?  Young?  BRADY?  Honestly, this reminds me of the crazy praise Cassel got when he had a few good preseason games.  Though ultimately justified, let's give this kid some time to see what he can turn into.  He's not starting any time soon - I can guarantee you that much.
    Posted by SonnyCorlione[/QUOTE]

Which pre season game did Cassel ever look good in?? We all dumped on him for looking lost.  I'm just saying in my previous post that for better or worse, Hoyer doesn't look like a deer in headlights.... Cassel struggled for the first third of the season AND he looked pretty bad in KC preseason.  I'm not ready to annoint Hoyer yet... All I'm saying is he has some of the Brady poise and footwork and looks promising..  whoever said Walter is a stiff.. I agree.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Brady is the starter and Hoyer is the heir apparent. There is no point in going after Feeley, that would make show a lack of faith in Tom Brady's ability to stay healthy, and a lack of faith in Hoyer. 

Brady took the Patriots to the SB in his first year starting. Hoyer can learn alot from Brady. I think we might have found Tom Brady's Steve Young. When ever Brady is ready to lace it up Hoyer will be there to start with Nunn, Edelman, and Tate to be his Moss, Welker, and Deion Branch. 

Patriots' Football might stay great for years to come boys. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

It's a limited sample, guys. So let's curtail the comparisons to other STARTING QBs. He was impressive for one half of football and with Brady healthy I honestly hope we don't see him throw until next year's pre-season. I'd still like a QB with some starting experience. I think Hoyer has potential, but let's wait 3 or 4 years before we see that potential harnessed.