Hurrah for Dan Snyder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Hurrah for Dan Snyder

He should change the name of the Redskins when hell freezes over!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Hurrah for Dan Snyder

My life is the same if they are the Washington Redskins or the Washington Little Rabbit Foo Foos.

Agree with it or not, the name is hurtful to some people.  The name of a sports team should be hurtful to no one.

The time for change has been long upon us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

My life is the same if they are the Washington Redskins or the Washington Little Rabbit Foo Foos.

Agree with it or not, the name is hurtful to some people.  The name of a sports team should be hurtful to no one.

Agreed.

How would we feel if we had a team named the "San Francisco Yellowskins", or the "Detroit Blackmen"?

While the name may hold some historical relevance, it's an offensive, racially-driven, "historical relevance".

The fact that TSW is so adamant about this topic, speaks volumes about his character. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Yes, and a big "hurrah" to Adolf Hitler, Strom Thurmond, Rob Parker, and Paula Deen, as well. 

Let's go Pats!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

The only people being hurt are those intolerant people looking to make an issue out of anything.

I suspect that going to work everyday is hurtful to some people also.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

[QUOTE]

Agreed.

How would we feel if we had a team named the "San Francisco Yellowskins", or the "Detroit Blackmen"?

While the name may hold some historical relevance, it's an offensive, racially-driven, "historical relevance".

The fact that TSW is so adamant about this topic, speaks volumes about his character. 

[/QUOTE]

My character.  my, my Pinhead. In my younger days, friends called me Bobby W0p. Never bothered me.  What the hell do you know!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Honestly, there are plenty of battles worth fighting for. This is not one of them. It's a big positive gesture that costs very little. Given the risk-reward matrix, change the name and get on with life.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Yes, and a big "hurrah" to Adolf Hitler, Strom Thurmond, Rob Parker, and Paula Deen, as well. 

Let's go Pats!

What a non sequitur my "erudite" friend.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Another approach to your thinking would be to attempt to be informed.

Read this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

+1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

Technically, the state of Oklahoma, which in the Native AMerican translates to "Red Man", will need to then change its name as a state.

I never heard that.  What dialect is it?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

[QUOTE]

I heard that Amtrak is lobbying the NFL to change the name of the Jets, as it seems to be promoting airline, the NASW (national association of Satan Worshipers) is lobbying the NFL to change the name of the Saints, the LPAA (little persons assocaiton of America) is lobbying the NFL to change the name of the Giants and the BAA (birders association of America) objects to the use of Eagles, Cardinals, Seahawks, & Falcons and lastly the WWWAG (world wide wild animal group) thinks that the broncos, Colts, panthers, rams, bears, bengals and lions are disrespected by the use of their names in such ways.

[/QUOTE]

+10

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Agreed.

Would not bother me, at all.

Nor would it bother me if there were a team called the tennessee trailer trash, riverside rednecks or any other goofy made up hypothetical.

Especially if it was a long standing name and not made up to specifically be demeaning or hurtful on purpose.

I do not care if they change it or not. I simply do not think they should"have" to change it, ever.

No one is making anyone be a fan, or support the product in any way monetarily to the best of my knowledge. 

...but hey I am an old salty insensitive sob who grew up in a sarcastic household and was taught very well that "sticks and stones but names..." saying very well and it has always stuck with me.

More importantly for me is where does it end? Do you also mandate that holloywood go back and recall every film ever made that had the word redskin in it and change the dialog and then rerelease everything after it has been sanitized? Same for book publishers as well I guess. If not, why should they get a pass? SHould every american indian owned gift shop that has anything redskin associated with it be forced to have it removed?

...and while the sentiment that not-a-shot made is a fine one in theory, " it is hutful to "someone"" , it is not a practical argument. Why can't I then get a group of people together and say the word Cowboy or even Patriots is hurtful to us. There can always be a reason for a group of people to say that a word is hurtful to them. ..and you can't simply go oh that is different and ridiculous. As long as they feel it is hurtful and you are truly worried about their feelings those feelings have to be validated no matter how ridiculous you may think a particular cliam is. Otherwise you would be doing exactly the same thing as the people who do not care if the Redskins change their name. You would be no different.

Have a look at the racial slur databse here.

http://gyral.blackshell.com/names.html

Just with a quick look, it would seem the Kansas city Chiefs would need to change thier name.

So to the chicago cubs and New Jersey Devils.

I did not even look through the whole list, lord knows what else is in there. Ooops I should probably not even use the word lord, it might be hurtful to someone somewhere.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Agreed.

Would not bother me, at all.

Nor would it bother me if there were a team called the tennessee trailer trash, riverside rednecks or any other goofy made up hypothetical.

Especially if it was a long standing name and not made up to specifically be demeaning or hurtful on purpose.

I do not care if they change it or not. I simply do not think they should"have" to change it, ever.

No one is making anyone be a fan, or support the product in any way monetarily to the best of my knowledge. 

...but hey I am an old salty insensitive sob who grew up in a sarcastic household and was taught very well that "sticks and stones but names..." saying very well and it has always stuck with me.

More importantly for me is where does it end? Do you also mandate that holloywood go back and recall every film ever made that had the word redskin in it and change the dialog and then rerelease everything after it has been sanitized? Same for book publishers as well I guess. If not, why should they get a pass? SHould every american indian owned gift shop that has anything redskin associated with it be forced to have it removed?

...and while the sentiment that not-a-shot made is a fine one in theory, " it is hutful to "someone"" , it is not a practical argument. Why can't I then get a group of people together and say the word Cowboy or even Patriots is hurtful to us. There can always be a reason for a group of people to say that a word is hurtful to them. ..and you can't simply go oh that is different and ridiculous. As long as they feel it is hurtful and you are truly worried about their feelings those feelings have to be validated no matter how ridiculous you may think a particular cliam is. Otherwise you would be doing exactly the same thing as the people who do not care if the Redskins change their name. You would be no different.

Have a look at the racial slur databse here.

http://gyral.blackshell.com/names.html

Just with a quick look, it would seem the Kansas city Chiefs would need to change thier name.

So to the chicago cubs and New Jersey Devils.

I did not even look through the whole list, lord knows what else is in there. Ooops I should probably not even use the word lord, it might be hurtful to someone somewhere.

+20

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

Perhaps they should just change their logo to a peanut.

You know, the Virginai Redskin variety.

Maybe TFB12 can do a mockup helmet with logo for us.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

Technically, the state of Oklahoma, which in the Native AMerican translates to "Red Man", will need to then change its name as a state.

I never heard that.  What dialect is it?

Choctaw. It's actually "Red People".  

I have a perfect solution to this problem, too.  From a historical perspective, there is no way Native Americans can balk at the idea many tribes fighting traditions included "scalping" the skins off of their victims as a trophy.

So, eveyone calls them the Skins for hort, at least I do and a lot of people do.

So, just keep the logo, the uniforms, etc, and change it to the Washington Skins.

Or, better yet, design a new logo, which would be a marketing boon where you have something tying in the scalping concept.   Then again, their 3rd uni and helmet already does that with a spear and feathers hanging off it.

If there is a Minnesota Vikings, arguably the world's most violent and vicious marauders, you can also point toward history and acknowledge American history, which does include Native Americans traditions and their history here.

I mean, christ, we're the Patriots. Pleny of violent Patriots and I am sure it could be deemed offensive to the English. hehe

You know the French require scalps for bounties which is what started the hole scalping hysteria is about as European as 100 year wars.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

If there is a Minnesota Vikings, arguably the world's most violent and vicious marauders, you can also point toward history and acknowledge American history, which does include Native Americans traditions and their history here.

I'm thinking Genghis Khan would likely take violent exception to the above ranking --in addition to that being a completely specious point.

The name is an insult.  Change it.  And I'm married to a rabid Skins fan, so spare the history lessons.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

fatboy, i like it.

however, your point remains irrelevant, historically wrong, and on the wrong side of history.  nice trifecta. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Right.  Also, it was carried over into the Civil War.  

Are you sure it wasn't literally invented during the Civil War?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

Far as I know, it was French/English (they now blame each other) paying the local Indians a bounty for each scalp delivered.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

"spare us the history lesson"

Weren't history lessons invented during the Civil War?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Patriots will have to change when the NFL expands to London. Surely some feelings will be hurt over there as well...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

How about the Washington RedTape??