I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HipHopHooray. Show HipHopHooray's posts

I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots...

If I wake up on Tuesday and check various power rankings (ESPN, FoxSports) and the Patriots are lower than the Jets, I will be shocked. The Patriots have beaten three of the top assumed teams in the league, Steelers, Ravens and Colts, while the Jets have barely escaped defeat from the Browns, Lions, and Texans. But of course there is the idea that "oh, well since the Jets beat the Patriots in week two, they MUST be better than the Patriots". That is wrong because that team in week two was much different from the team that the Patriots have now been winning games with. To me, by beating the Colts, there is no doubt in my mind that the Patriots are one of the top two teams, if not the top team in the NFL, right now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots...

There isn't. If anyone has watched them the last month, you'd know why.

They got the Ws, but they aren't scaring anyone with that sketchy pass D and that QB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Re: I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots...

It's a valid argument until we beat them and lay it to rest. The thing you have to understand about the Jets and their supporters is that beating us is their superbowl. When was the last time they won the division? 2002?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

kinda simple at this point. Both teams have same record, except they beat us once so far.

Don't care for the Jets, but they have won 3 games in a row in the last minute of play.  Luck? Skill? Fixed? Who knows - doesn't matter.

Patriots will have to beat the Jets the next go around and continue to improve going into the playoffs...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I agree with Steve. They have a better record due to the tie breaker, thus should be ahead of us in the power rankings. We cant be giving up 28 points in a game or its going to bite us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i thought thier luck had run out this week... but nope... but the more i see of them the more confident I am that that they are not the team everyone makes them out to be...... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

I hate the Jets but they are better than the Pats. Giving up leads like they have been is worrisome.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

There better then us, until we beat them, everbody STOP WINEING!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

A very valid point is being overlooked by ALL on this thread. Just look at yesterday, and how each of these team's games ended. The Jets found a way to win, the Pats almost created a way to lose. This has been a trend for the Pats for the past few years and until they figure out how to close games, they don't deserve to be at the top of the power rankings. I will admit this however, they are definitely the most fearsome 1st half team in football.

And I don't want to hear about the Jets giving up a 16 point lead, because I saw the Pats up 17, with less than 11 minutes to go, and it took a classic Manning bonehead move to seal it when a tie was more than likely, and a Pats loss was well within reach.

Rather than just knock down the Jets, be a realist and realize, though this team is very good, and among the best in the league, they have serious flaws. It just happens to be that, for the the first time in a while, not a single team in the NFL has seperated themselves, there are a lot of very good teams, but 0 elite ones have emerged so far.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

No, by your logic the Patriots also found a way to win with the Sanders int. You can't say the Jets game was much different than the Pats because they gave up a huge lead too. Explain to me why it's different. In fact, unless the Jets were going up against one of the best QB's ever I would give more credit to the Pats.

In Response to Re: I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots...:
    [QUOTE]A very valid point is being overlooked by ALL on this thread. Just look at yesterday, and how each of these team's games ended. The Jets found a way to win, the Pats almost created a way to lose. This has been a trend for the Pats for the past few years and until they figure out how to close games, they don't deserve to be at the top of the power rankings. I will admit this however, they are definitely the most fearsome 1st half team in football. And I don't want to hear about the Jets giving up a 16 point lead, because I saw the Pats up 17, with less than 11 minutes to go, and it took a classic Manning bonehead move to seal it when a tie was more than likely, and a Pats loss was well within reach. Rather than just knock down the Jets, be a realist and realize, though this team is very good, and among the best in the league, they have serious flaws. It just happens to be that, for the the first time in a while, not a single team in the NFL has seperated themselves, there are a lot of very good teams, but 0 elite ones have emerged so far.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots...:
    [QUOTE]A very valid point is being overlooked by ALL on this thread. Just look at yesterday, and how each of these team's games ended. The Jets found a way to win, the Pats almost created a way to lose. This has been a trend for the Pats for the past few years and until they figure out how to close games, they don't deserve to be at the top of the power rankings. I will admit this however, they are definitely the most fearsome 1st half team in football. And I don't want to hear about the Jets giving up a 16 point lead, because I saw the Pats up 17, with less than 11 minutes to go, and it took a classic Manning bonehead move to seal it when a tie was more than likely, and a Pats loss was well within reach. Rather than just knock down the Jets, be a realist and realize, though this team is very good, and among the best in the league, they have serious flaws. It just happens to be that, for the the first time in a while, not a single team in the NFL has seperated themselves, there are a lot of very good teams, but 0 elite ones have emerged so far.

One slight difference.The Jets 'found' a way to win over a sub .500 team while the Pats 'held on' against a division leader and last year's AFC super bowl team. The last time the Jets won the division and had to play a division champion's schedule they ended up in 3rd.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The Patriots have had convincing wins and a complete headscratcher like the Cleveland game, so they are hard to figure at times.  The Jets are coming from behind constantly, which to me (and I readily admit I haven't watched every second of the Jets games) says that the impregnable Jets D has given up points while the supposedly inept Sanchez must be doing something right. 

Like the Pats, the bottom line is the wins.  The Jets may not be the best team but by virtue of putting up W's they're right there.  What's to complain about?  Hopefully in a few weeks the rematch will settle the score.     

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

It's different because I was pointing out how the Jets were able to come back and rally for the win. Something the Pats USED to be known for. The only thing the Pats have been known for the past few seasons, with regards to the ends of games, is how to give up leads, not close a gap.

And, yes, the Pats created teh Sanders INT, I'm not disputing that, but the point is, where was the stop when they were up 17? How about getting one up 10? How about stopping them BEFORE they run right down to the 30? That's not creating a win, that's managing to hold on, desperately, and escaping with a win. Manning had to screw up for the Pats to avoid OT, the Jets had to create their own win. Are you really going to ignore the late game struggles of this team?

The OP said they couldn't understand ANY argument for seeding the Jets higher, and along with, oh, the little thing about the Jets beating the Pats head to head, there is the issue of the 4th quarter, holding leads or erasing deficits, neither of which the Pats have excelled at lately, and the Jets have.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]The Patriots have had convincing wins and a complete headscratcher like the Cleveland game, so they are hard to figure at times.  The Jets are coming from behind constantly, which to me (and I readily admit I haven't watched every second of the Jets games) says that the impregnable Jets D has given up points while the supposedly inept Sanchez must be doing something right.  Like the Pats, the bottom line is the wins.  The Jets may not be the best team but by virtue of putting up W's they're right there.  What's to complain about?  Hopefully in a few weeks the rematch will settle the score.     
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

This right here^ is valid.

Whatever else happened yesterday, The Sanchize made the throw he needed to make when he needed to make it (and -- for a wonder -- Braylon Edwards actually caught it). The knock on Marky Mark was that, ultimately, he wouldn't be able to beat you with his arm, but when Green New Jersey desperately needed him to do something everybody (everybody around here, at any rate -- including me) said he couldn't do, he did it.

Sure, you can say it was the Texans (or the Lions, or the Browns), but at the end of the day, the Jests keep coming out on top, and that's all that really matters. Nobody is going to take them out for the Pats. They're going to have to do it themselves.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]It's different because I was pointing out how the Jets were able to come back and rally for the win. Something the Pats USED to be known for. The only thing the Pats have been known for the past few seasons, with regards to the ends of games, is how to give up leads, not close a gap. And, yes, the Pats created teh Sanders INT, I'm not disputing that, but the point is, where was the stop when they were up 17? How about getting one up 10? How about stopping them BEFORE they run right down to the 30? That's not creating a win, that's managing to hold on, desperately, and escaping with a win. Manning had to screw up for the Pats to avoid OT, the Jets had to create their own win. Are you really going to ignore the late game struggles of this team? The OP said they couldn't understand ANY argument for seeding the Jets higher, and along with, oh, the little thing about the Jets beating the Pats head to head, there is the issue of the 4th quarter, holding leads or erasing deficits, neither of which the Pats have excelled at lately, and the Jets have.

So you're bashing the Pats for not coming back to win a game? Tough to do that when you're already leading isn't it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots... : This right here^ is valid. Whatever else happened yesterday, The Sanchize made the throw he needed to make when he needed to make it (and -- for a wonder -- Braylon Edwards actually caught it). The knock on Marky Mark was that, ultimately, he wouldn't be able to beat you with his arm, but when Green New Jersey desperately needed him to do something everybody (everybody around here, at any rate -- including me) said he couldn't do, he did it. Sure, you can say it was the Texans (or the Lions, or the Browns), but at the end of the day, the Jests keep coming out on top, and that's all that really matters. Nobody is going to take them out for the Pats. They're going to have to do it themselves.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

this is fine and you can argue it either way... but to me... they have been lucky and at some point they wont get those plays like they are now.... well see...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micksoxx. Show Micksoxx's posts

Why would anyone give a S*&% about power rankings? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Micksoxx says it best - why does anyone care what the power rankings are after 10 games? The more important issue would be seeds after 16 games played and heading into the playoffs.

Come Dec. 6th, the Pats may very well roll over the Jets and have the #1 seed or perhaps it is the other way around. But as of November 22, why is this important except maybe to give some voice to an internet forum?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

but to me... they have been lucky and at some point they wont get those plays like they are now.... well see...

A 40 yeard completion on a fly pattern with a picture perfect pass and then following that up with a perfect corner end zone pass is not luck.

Don't get me wrong - I am certainly not putting Sanchez in the category of elite QB's. But this kid is maturing and getting better every week. Barring injury, he will probably have an excellent career. He is smart, poised and has a very good arm. He still needs to get better in some areas, but considering he is a 2nd year player and had only one year as a starter in college, he has shown excellent progress.

The Jets bigger issues lie with their safety play and lack of pass rush. This will be their doom if they don't figure it out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I don't understand how there's any argument for the Jets being better than the Patriots... : So you're bashing the Pats for not coming back to win a game? Tough to do that when you're already leading isn't it.
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

You're very good at conveniently choosing the points you can argue while ignoring everything else. AGAIN I will explain that the OP asked how anyone can justify ranking the Jets ahead of the Pats. No, I'm not bashing the Pats for not coming back for a win, I'm commenting that they almost blew a 17 POINT 4TH QUARTER LEAD! And speaking of comebacks, would you kindly remind me of the last impressive comeback win the Pats have had? I can't think of any since Moss arrived until now. THAT'S my point. Do I need to go over the Jets late game success for you? Lucky or not, they are producing in those situations where the Pats are not. That, to me, makes the Jets, right now, a mroe dangerous team. If the Pats get up early, a team can come back. If they get down early, they've shown little to support them coming back. The Jets have shown the ability to erase late game deficits. Point - Jets. Anything else I can re-explain for you?

It's ok to be a fan of a team and admit faults. Or were you critisizing BB during the whole "humble pie" routine through 03 and 04 because of his negativity?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

Jets 28, Patriots 14

But at least they have a chance to fix it

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]I hate the Jets but they are better than the Pats. Giving up leads like they have been is worrisome.
    Posted by cosmo14[/QUOTE]

You do realize NY gave up a 19 point lead in the second half, 16 of those points in the 4th, correct?

Everyone talks about how great NY's D is, and I just don't see it.

Meanwhile, NE baited Gomer into 3 INTs last night.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE] but to me... they have been lucky and at some point they wont get those plays like they are now.... well see... A 40 yeard completion on a fly pattern with a picture perfect pass and then following that up with a perfect corner end zone pass is not luck. Don't get me wrong - I am certainly not putting Sanchez in the category of elite QB's. But this kid is maturing and getting better every week. Barring injury, he will probably have an excellent career. He is smart, poised and has a very good arm. He still needs to get better in some areas, but considering he is a 2nd year player and had only one year as a starter in college, he has shown excellent progress. The Jets bigger issues lie with their safety play and lack of pass rush. This will be their doom if they don't figure it out.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Not luck, but you have to admit, that was horrendous D by Houston there.

Worst pass D in the  NFL by a mile. They miss Demeco Ryans a lot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]I hate to admit it, but I think the Jets are a team of destiny.  They should have lost to the Broncos (PI penalty in final minute), Lions (stupid throw on 3rd down stopped the clock),  Browns (fumble in OT),  and Texans (huge pass to Edwards).   I live in NJ and watch every game, and I am amazed at how they continue to pull these games out of their a--!   If the Pats can bring pressure on Sanchez, I think they will win easily.  This game can't get here fast enough!
    Posted by Ratski[/QUOTE]

It's scary isn't it. These are the teams that tend to win titles. Look back at the Pats in 01, every rediculous bounce, call, everything went their way. But not only are they gettign those breaks, they are cashing them in and not letting opportunities slip past them. I tend to think that the lucky bounces have to run out sooner or later, but I also thought the Sox injuries HAD to slow down at some point...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]A very valid point is being overlooked by ALL on this thread. Just look at yesterday, and how each of these team's games ended. The Jets found a way to win, the Pats almost created a way to lose. [/QUOTE]

Utterly ridiculous.

I am pretty sure Manning and Indy is tougher competition than Schaub and Houston.

When NE eeks out a win against SD on the road, it's finding a way to win.

Or, when they slap Pitt in the mouth, it's not good enough, according to some, because they only won by 13 points, yet when you watched that game, you saw a shallacking.

Now, they pick Manning 3 times for the hat trick, and while not pretty in the 4th qtr on both sides (let's not forget O'Brien fell asleep in the 4th here with not many 1st downs), and it's "finding a way to lose".

Sorry. Not buying it.

There are two sets of barometers:

1. NE
    2. All 31 other NFL teams

NE has played one poor game all year and it was in Cleveland.

NY has looked flat out mediocre for a month against far less competition.

The W is all that matters, but the media trying to prop up the Jets is hilarious to me.

Sanchez went from goat to hero in a minute simply because Gary Kubiak is a bad coach.