I don't understand why Pat's didn't draft Rey Maualuga in the second round

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

I don't understand why Pat's didn't draft Rey Maualuga in the second round

I thought they need a line backer. Ok he is inside, and there need was more outside, but consering the need and the value here..... I don't get it. Couldn't the have played him ouside?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: I don't understand why Pat's didn't draft Rey Maualuga in the second round

It's not easy to play LB in this system. And they didn't want to take on a project. Maualuga was considered to be only a 2 down player, and that usually doesn't warrant first round money. I more expected them to go for a guy like English or Sintim. Of course, English was gone at 16, so who knows if BB would have grabbed him at 23. They still managed to fill needs, with Chung replacing Rodney (probably), and a young CB (who also played WR and returned kicks) who can develop like Asante did. Depth at DT was smart, and Scarneccia has a decent prospect for the O-line. My guess is they feel Woods and Crable will contribute at LB, at least as good as any rookie would. Mayo was a gem, evidently BB didn't think as highly of this class.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southie77. Show southie77's posts

Because he had character issues, had run in with the law and was supposed not to have enough football smarts to succeed in a complex scheme. It was not only the Pats who passed on him. He fits in with Cincy ( btw, do the Bengals maintain a separate bail fund for the players?)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Isn't it crazy how the Bengals always seem to fin all the disfunctional players?

Smith and Maualuga.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Maualuga clearly wasn't valued around the league the way many thought he would be.  Everyone passed on him.  BB passed on him three times.  That tells me he wasn't a highly valued player to them.  There have been questions about his ability to be a 3-down linebacker, and I think we might have learned most teams' opinion on that yesterday.  Lauranaitis was picked ahead of him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

And right on cue they draft Michael Johnson!

I will be shocked if they leave the draft without Alex Boone. LOL.

7. This post has been removed.