I had a Premonition/Ephinany/Flashback last night...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I had a Premonition/Ephinany/Flashback last night...

If there is such a thing, I had it. I was thinking about the whole Ridley thing because I listened to Holley/Salk on the way home last night and Salk was basically done with Ridley as a lead back while Holley has been a ridley apologist saying his fumbling is more a product of him getting the most carries. I disagree because we see Blount holding that thing with 2 Hands when he hits the hole EVERY TIME. He knows he doesnt want to be benched. He has already experienced that. Ridley better get on board or he will be an obvserver.

Last game gave us a little glimpse of what this team is capable even without Ridley. When I thought about the changeup that Blount/Vareen offered I though of the year 2003.

The Year we had a dual threat at RB with Antoine Smith and Kevin Faulk. That year may have been my favorite. We had a dominant run blocking TE in Graham who was also a nice redzone target. They complimented each other perfectly. I recall the Houston game that we came back on won where Faulk was on Fire. (8 catches for 108 yards and 23 carries for 80 yards)  He was doing it all. Vareen has that potential and even more because he is faster than Faulk ever was. Blount is the new Antoine Smith. Not fast, but bruising and effective and wears down defenders so when Vareen comes back in, they are caught off guard. Some games may see more of one or the other but I honestly believe based on what I saw when they actually call the right plays for Blount(power, not stretch plays) he was very effective. If Bolden can get healthy and just be that other change of pace back to spell Blount and Vareen I think we can get by without Ridley. He is Explosive but if he hasnt got it now, idk and I know BB is tired of it. I dont think they will trade him but they may phase him out for a while for him to get the message. Ball control to me is just too important in the playoffs to let this guy be the lead back. He is not cognizant of putting both hands on the ball and Blount is and Vareen can run inbetween the tackles and is faster. So what do you guys think?

Antoine Smith - 6'2 232 (Cast away nobody wanted)

Blount - 6'1 - 247(Cast away nobody wanted

Kevin Faulk - 5'8" - 202(2nd round pick who had great college production)

Shane Vareen - 5'9" - 205 (2nd round pick who had great college production)

You cant get any similar than that! 

Also, I cant recall after watching last game the last time we had an offense that could challenge EVERY part of the field. We have threats at BOTH outside flankers, 2 slot guys and one dominant TE and a back that run every route with great hands. Outside of defenice injuries, I think this team is really coming together. We have won with injuries on D before.

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: I had a Premonition/Ephinany/Flashback last night...

Holly is delusional. Ridley has the worst fumble rate of any RB in the league with any significant number of carries.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

If Ridley got fumble one more times, He should be demoted to the third string RBs.  The Pats should get going with Bloun, Bolden and Vereen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Ridley fumble rate is in middle of a good pack or RBs. 

Ridley's rate - 1.54 

AP- 1.55

Lynch- 1.44 

Ray Rice- 1.43

fred Jackson- 1.42

I don't agree Ridleys fumbling is a problem. if you get the ball 15-20 times a game you will fumble. 

the issue with his fumbles is the sh1tty timeliness of them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/rushing-fumble-rates/2013/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I'm talking Ridley's fumble rate NOW, 2013.

We won't even mention his horrid playoff fumble rate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Ridley's rate - 1.54 

AP- 1.55

Lynch- 1.44 

Ray Rice- 1.43

fred Jackson- 1.42

I don't agree Ridleys fumbling is a problem. if you get the ball 15-20 times a game you will fumble. 

all the guys on your list are lead backs for their team except for Fred Jackson.. Ridley hardly ever goes over 20 carries and has 3 other backs he shares the load with but nice try. AP and Lynch probably average over 25 touches. Apples to peaches. Yes timing is horrible too but I measure fumbles by how you carrie the rock. AP gets stripped when 3 guys are on him. Ridley gives it up with one swipe by ONE defender because he carries it AWAY form his body. Look at Blount when he carries. Lynch has atleast 5 defenders that get a shot on him EVERY RUN and barrels over defenders. Ridley...not so much. His style of run should not have him fumbling like that.  Brady is the Qb here, but who is behind AP? Ponder has never had a gameplan designed to stop him. Brady has his whole career. Need more evidence?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

No doubt the fumbling is a problem; the question is, can his fumblitis be cured?  Look no further than old friend Kevin Faulk (data below) as an example... he was able to improve his ball security later in his career.  

1999-2006: *992 touches / 23 fumbles = 1 fumber every 43 touches 

2007-2011: *414 touches / 2 fumbles = 1 fumble every 207 touches 

*Includes KP and PR touches.

Sure the touches were reduced (124 per year from 99-06 / 82 per year from 07-11) but it's tough to ignore the large reduction in fumble rate.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No doubt the fumbling is a problem; the question is, can his fumblitis be cured?  Look no further than old friend Kevin Faulk (data below) as an example... he was able to improve his ball security later in his career.  

1999-2006: *992 touches / 23 fumbles = 1 fumber every 43 touches 

2007-2011: *414 touches / 2 fumbles = 1 fumble every 207 touches 

*Includes KP and PR touches.

Sure the touches were reduced (124 per year from 99-06 / 82 per year from 07-11) but it's tough to ignore the large reduction in fumble rates.

[/QUOTE]

Yep, Tiki Barber as well. Thats why I said, they wont move him, but they may phase him out for a few now that they have 2 capable backs that can replace his production. If he gets it and wants to stay , he will fix it. Simple.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If there is such a thing, I had it. I was thinking about the whole Ridley thing because I listened to Holley/Salk on the way home last night and Salk was basically done with Ridley as a lead back while Holley has been a ridley apologist saying his fumbling is more a product of him getting the most carries. I disagree because we see Blount holding that thing with 2 Hands when he hits the hole EVERY TIME. He knows he doesnt want to be benched. He has already experienced that. Ridley better get on board or he will be an obvserver.

Last game gave us a little glimpse of what this team is capable even without Ridley. When I thought about the changeup that Blount/Vareen offered I though of the year 2003.

The Year we had a dual threat at RB with Antoine Smith and Kevin Faulk. That year may have been my favorite. We had a dominant run blocking TE in Graham who was also a nice redzone target. They complimented each other perfectly. I recall the Houston game that we came back on won where Faulk was on Fire. (8 catches for 108 yards and 23 carries for 80 yards)  He was doing it all. Vareen has that potential and even more because he is faster than Faulk ever was. Blount is the new Antoine Smith. Not fast, but bruising and effective and wears down defenders so when Vareen comes back in, they are caught off guard. Some games may see more of one or the other but I honestly believe based on what I saw when they actually call the right plays for Blount(power, not stretch plays) he was very effective. If Bolden can get healthy and just be that other change of pace back to spell Blount and Vareen I think we can get by without Ridley. He is Explosive but if he hasnt got it now, idk and I know BB is tired of it. I dont think they will trade him but they may phase him out for a while for him to get the message. Ball control to me is just too important in the playoffs to let this guy be the lead back. He is not cognizant of putting both hands on the ball and Blount is and Vareen can run inbetween the tackles and is faster. So what do you guys think?

Also, I cant recall after watching last game the last time we had an offense that could challenge EVERY part of the field. We have threats at BOTH outside flankers, 2 slot guys and one dominant TE and a back that run every route with great hands. Outside of defenice injuries, I think this team is really coming together. We have won with injuries on D before.

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

[/QUOTE]

Og...  Nice epiphany, it does make sense and I think Blount /vereen is the best combo for all the above reasons.  I give bolden the edge over Ridley as the change of pace because he is the dual threat better at catching the ball and of course holding onto it.

But again it is a depth issue going forward.  If anyone goes down the dynamic changes and Ridley gets more touches and team has to take that chance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Rildley reminds me of Ricky Waters for the Eagles 20 years ago...Great runner but could always depended on to cough up a ball or two....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Blount 508 career carries 7 fumbles

Ridley 506 career carries 7 fumbles.

Lets look at a few others.

Jamal Charles 970 carries 14 fumbles.

Adrian peterson 1950 carries 27 fumbles.

Corey Dillion 2600 carries 28 fumbles.

It almost seems like the more carries you get, the more you fumble. Weird.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

what about BJGE...?   We got spoiled with that guy.    944 carries 3 fumbles lost.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

[/QUOTE]

Og...  Nice epiphany, it does make sense and I think Blount /vereen is the best combo for all the above reasons.  I give bolden the edge over Ridley as the change of pace because he is the dual threat better at catching the ball and of course holding onto it.

But again it is a depth issue going forward.  If anyone goes down the dynamic changes and Ridley gets more touches and team has to take that chance.

[/QUOTE]

How will Blount be better with ball control when he fumbles exactly as much as Ridley?

In Kevin Faulks first 500 carries he fumbled 10 times(  3more then Ridley) Imagine if we pulled the plug on him as you suggest we do with Ridley? 

I just don't understand.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm talking Ridley's fumble rate NOW, 2013.

We won't even mention his horrid playoff fumble rate.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is the fumble rate now. His rate last year was lower. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what about BJGE...?   We got spoiled with that guy.

[/QUOTE]

Oh he sux. He could only muster up 24 tds and 1700 yards with zero fumbles as a split time running back in 2 seasons . Total bum.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How will Blount be better with ball control when he fumbles exactly as much as Ridley?

In Kevin Faulks first 500 carries he fumbled 10 times(  3more then Ridley) Imagine if we pulled the plug on him as you suggest we do with Ridley? 

I just don't understand.

[/QUOTE]

Its a perception.  Blount hasn't fumbled since that tomahawk chop he took from a DL early in the season.  Hard to blame him for that one ...  Yuo're only as good as your last game and Ridley sits.  simple.  Still gets snaps but not as many.  He needs to be trained like a dog...  until he gets it.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ridley's rate - 1.54 

AP- 1.55

Lynch- 1.44 

Ray Rice- 1.43

fred Jackson- 1.42

[/QUOTE]

all the guys on your list are lead backs for their team except for Fred Jackson.. Ridley hardly ever goes over 20 carries and has 3 other backs he shares the load with but nice try. AP and Lynch probably average over 25 touches. Apples to peaches. Yes timing is horrible too but I measure fumbles by how you carrie the rock. AP gets stripped when 3 guys are on him. Ridley gives it up with one swipe by ONE defender because he carries it AWAY form his body. Look at Blount when he carries. Lynch has atleast 5 defenders that get a shot on him EVERY RUN and barrels over defenders. Ridley...not so much. His style of run should not have him fumbling like that.  Brady is the Qb here, but who is behind AP? Ponder has never had a gameplan designed to stop him. Brady has his whole career. Need more evidence?

[/QUOTE]

No I totally see & agree with what you're saying. But I hate Blount. He runs worse than anyone on this team IMO. If Bolden took over Ridleys spot I'd have no complaints. Blount ran good against Car but that's it.

ridley would be the lead back here if he didnt get benched v Buffalo or not playing against Cincy. Those two games could give him 30 more carries possibly. He's only 20-30 behind guys like C Johnson, Forte, Rice

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I just don't understand.

[/QUOTE]

Let me Break it down for you again. I know football. Ive watched Blount in Tampa. Everyone should be aware of his fumble problems BUT they havent happened HERE since he has come to NE for 3 REASONS. # 1, tampa has been a cr appy team with no leadership. 2, Blount used to run reckless and hurdle defenders atleast twice a game. Ive seen him do that ONCE since coming here. 3.) Blount was benched in Tampa and has made a CONSERTED effort to put  BOTH hands on the ball when he runs now. So yes he USED to fumble a lot but since his ONE here this season, he has been Great. So RIDLEY needs to ALSO take care of the ball and not be careless.  Do you understand that. Not being disrespectful but I dont get why you are putting up career numbers and all these other runners. Do you like to see Ridley fumble away games or not. This aint about AP or Lynch who run under diff. circumstances.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ridley's rate - 1.54 

AP- 1.55

Lynch- 1.44 

Ray Rice- 1.43

fred Jackson- 1.42

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No I totally see & agree with what you're saying. But I hate Blount. He runs worse than anyone on this team IMO. If Bolden took over Ridleys spot I'd have no complaints. Blount ran good against Car but that's it.

ridley would be the lead back here if he didnt get benched v Buffalo or not playing against Cincy. Those two games could give him 30 more carries possibly. He's only 20-30 behind guys like C Johnson, Forte, Rice

[/QUOTE]

Thats because vs Carolina that was the FIRST time they actually called plays that work for HIM. like Power formations for a POWER back. He looked slow cuz they had him running stretch plays to the outside like he was Arian Foster. If you read my whole o/p I outlined all of that and I will put money that the Pats go in this direction next week. BB loves power backs who dont fumble like Dillon and speed is not the issue. If Blount can keep ripping off 5 a pop, you wont see much Ridley....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I see your point but I don't think Blount is that kind of back. To me, he runs really weak for a 250 guy. I think Ridley and bolden run stronger than he does. He reminds me of Maroney bouncing around a ton. If Blount shows me something different my opinion will change. Look Doug Martin took blounts job to the point where he was handed to us. He really didnt impress me all year but he did look good v Carolina. Blount hasn't ripped 5 a carry all year til garbage time v Pitt and a great game v CaR. Like I said if he shows me he plan be a Dillon type my opinion will totally change of Him. I wanted him to be like dillon when he came but that hasn't been the case. He's our worst short yardage RB so far this year

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Let's look at now.

Fact = Ridley = worst fumbler in football, as we speak.

Mark my words, he's gone after next year and will never be close to a 290 carry back again.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what about BJGE...?   We got spoiled with that guy.

[/QUOTE]

Oh he sux. He could only muster up 24 tds and 1700 yards with zero fumbles as a split time running back in 2 seasons . Total bum.

[/QUOTE]

Benny don't suck. He is an amazing overachiever, but as I always claimed, he is an average NFL starter, and a good backup; nothing more.

Though he has pretty much lost his lead back job because of the NFG, which has hampered  my fantasy team btw. But, DESPITE THAT, I still like Benny.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I see the fumble rate numbers and agree that they don't seem so bad in a comparison with other backs but I don't believe Ridley has as many carries per game as other lead backs.

I may be wrong but I get a bad feeling every time he touches the ball.

And, make no mistake, he cost the Pats the game Monday.  Yeah, they had bad penalties (two, 15 yarders), trouble containing Newton and some bad calls by the refs but the biggest difference to me was the Pats had one turnover to none for the Panthers.  Can't have that on the road.

I'd like to see more of a power running game with Vereen thrown in for third downs and change of pace along with Bolden.  I have more confidence in Blount to hold on to the ball and I like the idea of smashing the defense in the face with the running game.  Making them tackle a 250 lb. sledgehammer all day will takes it's toll.

Then maybe, bring Ridley in after the defense is tired and beaten up. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I just don't understand.

[/QUOTE]

Let me Break it down for you again. I know football. Ive watched Blount in Tampa. Everyone should be aware of his fumble problems BUT they havent happened HERE since he has come to NE for 3 REASONS. # 1, tampa has been a cr appy team with no leadership. 2, Blount used to run reckless and hurdle defenders atleast twice a game. Ive seen him do that ONCE since coming here. 3.) Blount was benched in Tampa and has made a CONSERTED effort to put  BOTH hands on the ball when he runs now. So yes he USED to fumble a lot but since his ONE here this season, he has been Great. So RIDLEY needs to ALSO take care of the ball and not be careless.  Do you understand that. Not being disrespectful but I dont get why you are putting up career numbers and all these other runners. Do you like to see Ridley fumble away games or not. This aint about AP or Lynch who run under diff. circumstances.

[/QUOTE]

I've watched Tampa as well, snd Blount was a 1 hit wonder. He ran well against a carolina team that was getting run on at will, but blount is a 250 pound power back who gets stood up almost everytime on 3rd and 1 or goal line carries. I would take Ridley over Blount any day and I would bet that every coach in the NFL would as well.

So I disagree with your epiphany,  and would argue that Blount hasn't fumbled as much as Ridley because he doesn't carry the ball as much as Ridley, and I posted the career numbers because they do not lie. Lead running backs fumble. It is the way it is. Ridleys fumbles have been costly, I agree, but our offense needs Stevan Ridley, without a run game that scares a defense we are the same offense we have been for the last 6 years....a one dimensional offense. Blount doesn't scare anyone, except some of his teammates he may or may not punch in a tissy at practice like he has done before.