I hate the taste of crow...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I hate the taste of crow...

And I ain't ready to eat it just yet...

Mallett....long way from being over folks...

Bledsoe wasn't traded until after the draft.

Mallet can be traded anytime for a future pick.

With MN giving us an early Xmas present the pressure is off on dealing Mallett for picks this year.

Most "experts" what ever that means, felt Cleveland would bring in a young QB at some point. As of the end of round 3 they have not.

New England has yet to address the interior D line strength...yet.

Remember, Cleveland is stacked with D linemen, perhaps too many..

One rumor was Cleveland would try and get New England to take a D linemen for Mallett.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings...and she ain't sung yet...

However, at this point, I am beginning to think that I hope the crow ain't too chewy...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: I hate the taste of crow...

Well look at it this way, let's say we get a second round pick for him for NEXT year, right now..today. Future picks have less value during the draft going on right now...example...so and so trades for someone's second round pick for this year, but they offer their FIRST round pick in NEXT year's draft. So I look at it this way - if we get a second for him now and have to wait an entire year...what was that worth THIS weekend? A little less. Said team gets what they want right now (Mallett) and we have to wait for a year. Why didn't we get a second for him this year?

And if we trade him at this point for a second NEXT year, we will have to use a 4th or 5th rounder for another QB most likely...that further reduces the value we get in exchange for him. Or we go out and sign a backup who has never played in our system late in the process. I can guarantee that player's cap number will be larger than Mallett's too.

I thought if we by some miracle were able to get a high pick THIS year for him it would of been great. It didn't happen. I see no reason to trade a third round pick for a two next year when we will have to replace that commodity right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Explain again why he must be traded? Why can't he take over next year or in '15? 

I think that's the plan actually. It was signaled when they said they wanted a first rounder for him, when they know that's highly unlikely.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Explain again why he must be traded? Why can't he take over next year or in '15? 

I think that's the plan actually. It was signaled when they said they wanted a first rounder for him, when they know that's highly unlikely.

How does he take over next year? Brady is signed so do we assume it's a CAP signing and he's actually leaving in a year?

Malletts contract ends with the 2014 season. He's a free agent then. You certainly can't use a high tag on him, too expensive. A lesser tag perhaps...but who knows. If Brady is still here then what's the point?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

How does he take over next year? Brady is signed so do we assume it's a CAP signing and he's actually leaving in a year?

Malletts contract ends with the 2014 season. He's a free agent then. You certainly can't use a high tag on him, too expensive. A lesser tag perhaps...but who knows. If Brady is still here then what's the point?

Well that's why he needed to play just a lttle bit over these last two years and increase his value. The guy didn't even show up in preseason games to distinguish himself. I remember Brady's second preseason and you could see the throws...the decision making...the progress. Then Bledsoe went down and the rest is history. If Mallett had at the very least came into those preseason games and made better decisions with the ball...strung some plays together...took advantage of the lesser competition he was going against in those games we would be talking about Tank Carradine right now, because he would of brought us in the second rounder a few people thought he was going to. You can't give high picks for a QB that has been in the league for two years and done nothing - I don't care if he was "sopposed to be drafted in the first round three years ago"...it doesn't mean a thing now. And there are 20 players that are supposed to be drafted in the first round every year that don't go there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

And I ain't ready to eat it just yet...

Mallett....long way from being over folks...

Bledsoe wasn't traded until after the draft.

Mallet can be traded anytime for a future pick.

With MN giving us an early Xmas present the pressure is off on dealing Mallett for picks this year.

Most "experts" what ever that means, felt Cleveland would bring in a young QB at some point. As of the end of round 3 they have not.

New England has yet to address the interior D line strength...yet.

Remember, Cleveland is stacked with D linemen, perhaps too many..

One rumor was Cleveland would try and get New England to take a D linemen for Mallett.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings...and she ain't sung yet...

However, at this point, I am beginning to think that I hope the crow ain't too chewy...

Mallett will never be able to clean Bledsoe's shoes!
    BB tried to sucker teams into giving the Pats a draft pick for him but BB actually thinks that Kafka has more upside

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Use your heads here. Belichick is not a sentimental guy, and Tom Brady is not father time. He can't play forever and he's already showing signs of decline. BB is not Danny Ainge, he's not going to keep a guy around because he used to be great or out of some sense of loyalty or nostalgia or so the guy can set some records, even though the chance of winning a title with the guy is virtually nil.

Unless your head is in the sand (or some other more personal dark place), you see that it's almost time to transition away from Brady. If Mallett is a guy Belichick is confident in, then he's not going to trade him for some crappy draft pick. He's going to demand a high pick, which he has apparently done even though he knows there's little chance anybody will pony up. 

What does that mean? It means to me that he values the guy. So, he's not going to give him away and he's not going to lose him to free agency for nothing. That means he will take over for Brady at some point, assuming nobody offers an acceptable draft pick/player in trade before then.

It's not rocket science. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

We can all dream, and dreams can be pretty sweat. I certainly enjoyed mine.

And I was really surprised at team discipline this year except Buffalo - no one overdrafted QBs in a weak class. And there were (or should have been) a lot of desperate teams.

Don't think this is a bad thing. Mallett has a lot of value to the Pat's this year, and I like the moves they made in FA and the draft (ok, maybe not Harmon, but ...)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

I still cannot believe Buffalo took Manuel in the 1st and the Jets Smith in the 2nd. Their fans have got to be sick.

Buddy Nix was distancing himself yesterday, already.  It was hilarious.  New coach in Buffalo who is already making picks over the GM, a GM who is one step away from being fired.

i actually understand the smith pick because the jets have no solidarity at qb......obviously its a risk taking him, but a good risk for them at this point imo, they had to do something at the qb position.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

if mallet didn't go for a 2nd round this year, why would he garner a 2nd next year. There is no body of professional experience for anyone to make a judgement call for Mallet.  We got a #2 for Cassel, but that was after he went 11-5 as a system QB.

It will make sense to unload Mallett next year, since his contract will have one year left? Pats would be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for him (unless Mallett shows something on the field in 2013).