I know we talk about the defence and its needs but we need to extend welker and gronk now!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from will71. Show will71's posts

I know we talk about the defence and its needs but we need to extend welker and gronk now!

I know gronk is still under his rookie contract and still has a year to go. But why not offer him a contract now, if hes williing to listen. The tight end situation will become an issue if both of theses guys continue to blossem. We are already thin at wide reciever then the no brainer to me is to take the best wr free agent off the market for next year now sign WELKER mr kraft.

Enough with the projects we need solid wr that will be a stable in this offence why not keep one that not broken sign him.

part 1 done now sign welk!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: I know we talk about the defence and its needs but we need to extend welker and gronk now!

Gronk is in his 2nd year of a 4 year deal with a year of RFA after that. We don't need to extend him until the end of next year or even the year after that (I would at the end of next year though).

For Welker as much as I want him extended this moment it makes no sense for him to sign at this point. He's either going to get tagged and get the extension at the end of the year anyways or he gets a number of teams to bid on him at auction. Unless the Pats toss a contract that he can't refuse, and we all know they won't, what incentive is it for him to sign right now?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: I know we talk about the defence and its needs but we need to extend welker and gronk now!

Extend Gronk? The only way Gronk gets extended now is if we have another bye week and he heads to Vegas...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to I know we talk about the defence and its needs but we need to extend welker and gronk now!:
    [QUOTE]I know gronk is still under his rookie contract and still has a year to go. But why not offer him a contract now, if hes williing to listen. The tight end situation will become an issue if both of theses guys continue to blossem. We are already thin at wide reciever then the no brainer to me is to take the best wr free agent off the market for next year now sign WELKER mr kraft. Enough with the projects we need solid wr that will be a stable in this offence why not keep one that not broken sign him.
    Posted by will71[/QUOTE]

I agree, they should sign Welker, even if just on priciple. Pay him wellfor the production he has made well above his contract.  Anything follwing is just gravy.

They would be wise to lock-up Gronk, too, but it is not their way.  He is a young Good Time Charlie, and as such, he will want to be paid handsomely to support such a lifestyle.  If the Pats don't lock him up, he will go to the highest bitter later, forcing the Pats to pay much more to match an offer.  Or did they giet rid of that feature?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from will71. Show will71's posts

ok after that season i say u extend him now!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from will71. Show will71's posts

the insentive to sighn him now is he just became the best tight end in the nfl good enough reason?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Attack the defensive problems in the draft and a couple of significant F.A.'s signings(one has to be a safety and I'd be delighted with Griffin joining the fold and a legitimate 40 OLB on the weak side).Re-sign Welker and Gronk right after the super bowl....PLEASE!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Pats won't do crap with Gronk or Hernandez this off season....& probably not till most of next year...

Welker will get a 3 year deal in the off season with an additional year...I don't see him going anywhere as long as Brady is at the helm...they will extend him to Bradys current contract through 2014...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to I know we talk about the defence and its needs but we need to extend welker and gronk now!:
    [QUOTE]I know gronk is still under his rookie contract and still has a year to go. But why not offer him a contract now, if hes williing to listen. The tight end situation will become an issue if both of theses guys continue to blossem. We are already thin at wide reciever then the no brainer to me is to take the best wr free agent off the market for next year now sign WELKER mr kraft. Enough with the projects we need solid wr that will be a stable in this offence why not keep one that not broken sign him.
    Posted by will71[/QUOTE]

i posted yesterday and maybe 6 weeks ago, extend gronk and hern. welker tag and after the year, release (unless team friendly deal -which i dont see. too much money on a 33 yr old slot guy who has a lot of beatings hes taken).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: I know we talk about the defence and its needs but we need to extend welker and gronk now!": [QUOTE]In Response to I know we talk about the defence and its needs but we need to extend welker and gronk now! : i posted yesterday and maybe 6 weeks ago, extend gronk and hern. welker tag and after the year, release (unless team friendly deal -which i dont see. too much money on a 33 yr old slot guy who has a lot of beatings hes taken). Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE] Welker's 30, and I don't agree. I think he is the most essential player to the offense. 122 catches, 0 fumbles, 98 yards per game, 77 first downs and he has more 20+ yard catches than J. Nelson, M. Wallace, Marshall, Bowe, Colston, Lloyd and most others. He'll probably get franchised, but unless he shows any signs of slowing down by alot I think they'd be crazy to let him walk. I don't see anyone coming in and getting all those catches.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I actually think it might be smart to extend Gronk early and pre-empt the possibility of him walking or playing the market for a mega deal.  However, I'd wait until there's just a year left on his current deal, then do it.  

I'd like to see Welker get extended, but part of me wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they let him walk. He's getting older and centering an offense around a slot receiver has never seemed like a good idea to me. Ideally, they re-sign him and also get a bigger, faster, downfield threat, but I wouldn't mind them getting the downfield threat and letting Welker go.  That said, letting him walk without any kind of replacement for his production (or at least a decent part of that production) would be a mistake in my mind.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]I actually think it might be smart to extend Gronk early and pre-empt the possibility of him walking or playing the market for a mega deal.  However, I'd wait until there's just a year left on his current deal, then do it.   I'd like to see Welker get extended, but part of me wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they let him walk. He's getting older and centering an offense around a slot receiver has never seemed like a good idea to me. Ideally, they re-sign him and also get a bigger, faster, downfield threat, but I wouldn't mind them getting the downfield threat and letting Welker go.  That said, letting him walk without any kind of replacement for his production (or at least a decent part of that production) would be a mistake in my mind.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]
    Heresy! lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: I know we talk about the defence and its needs but we need to extend welker and gronk now!:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: I know we talk about the defence and its needs but we need to extend welker and gronk now!": Welker's 30, and I don't agree. I think he is the most essential player to the offense. 122 catches, 0 fumbles, 98 yards per game, 77 first downs and he has more 20+ yard catches than J. Nelson, M. Wallace, Marshall, Bowe, Colston, Lloyd and most others. He'll probably get franchised, but unless he shows any signs of slowing down by alot I think they'd be crazy to let him walk. I don't see anyone coming in and getting all those catches.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

thanks for the correction i'll confirm.
    where? we have a year,  2 fa and 2 drafts, to get a legit elite outside receiver, much more valuable than a slot receiver. cannot tie up huge money in a slot receiver after 3 big contracts (and shouldnt imo). by beginging 2013 we should have nabbed a slot and wideout receiver. (unless wleker gives us a %60 or less of market value discount)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

To me, the Welker situation signifies everything that is wrong with the NFL. A guy comes in in his prime and completely outplays the value of his contract, but the team makes no effort to give him a raise, despite the fact that he never holds out, and exhibits the toughness to come back from an ACL tear in 4 months to start the season and catch 80+ passes. But when his contract ends, the team decides he's no longer in his prime, and will not pay for "past performance".

I understand this plays to the Pats benefit, and I understand that Welker may not have been a 100+ reception a year guy with another team. But a lot of receivers have played with Brady and not put up 100-catch seasons; too many, in fact. By contrast, Welker has done everything a team could ask, and done it with quiet class. He deserve(s)(d) to be among the top paid receivers in the NFL, because he has been one of them for as long as he has been a Patriot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: I know we talk about the defence and its needs but we need to extend welker and gronk now!:
    [QUOTE]To me, the Welker situation signifies everything that is wrong with the NFL. A guy comes in in his prime and completely outplays the value of his contract, but the team makes no effort to give him a raise, despite the fact that he never holds out, and exhibits the toughness to come back from an ACL tear in 4 months to start the season and catch 80+ passes. But when his contract ends, the team decides he's no longer in his prime, and will not pay for "past performance". I understand this plays to the Pats benefit, and I understand that Welker may not have been a 100+ reception a year guy with another team. But a lot of receivers have played with Brady and not put up 100-catch seasons; too many, in fact. By contrast, Welker has done everything a team could ask, and done it with quiet class. He deserve(s)(d) to be among the top paid receivers in the NFL, because he has been one of them for as long as he has been a Patriot.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

you cannot field a team under the cap and pay every player what they could get on the market, unless ALL your players stink.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

they get millions to PLAY.
    others who actually help make the world a better place struggle to get by.
    the values in our culture are perverted.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I would extend GRONK early next year.  Why even let it run into the 4th year?  As we all have seen more then a few times in the BB era the animosity that not re-upping star players causes.  I hope they have learned their lesson.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I know we talk about the defence and its needs but we need to extend welker and gronk now! : you cannot field a team under the cap and pay every player what they could get on the market, unless ALL your players stink.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Don't want to do that with every player; just the rare few that obliterate their contract value with their production.

Welker is one of those rare few. His production has been equivalent to that of guys who make 3-4 times as much as he.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

I Posted a comment months ago asking about extending Gronk. Grong 7 / 75 with 40 guaranteed. Welker 3 / 25. Hernandez 7 / 45 with 22 guaranteed maybe after next season if he has another good year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I Posted a comment months ago asking about extending Gronk. Grong 7 / 75 with 40 guaranteed. Welker 3 / 25. Hernandez 7 / 45 with 22 guaranteed maybe after next season if he has another good year.
    Posted by looneyman[/QUOTE]

my thoughts:
    7 75 too much for a rookie. 40 too much guaranteed.
    hern if we act soon, we could drop that a little too.
    welker, do that in a heartbeat. 3 years perfect. 
    i like your thinkin, jsut differ on the numbers

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I know we talk about the defence and its needs but we need to extend welker and gronk now! : Don't want to do that with every player; just the rare few that obliterate their contract value with their production. Welker is one of those rare few. His production has been equivalent to that of guys who make 3-4 times as much as he.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

look im all for welker. i undertand your point. he can get max value likely at a poor team. moderate maybe at a better team or very scaled down here (if it were me making the decision. i know hes tough as nails and works his tail off.

decisions have to be made with the $ we have that will not sink our team.
    3 yrs, we could give closer top what he may want/ can get yearly.
    however i might vote to tag him. see if he will play. find out if hes gonna max value. see what happens if we pick up a slot and outside #1 receiver this offseason. with any player, you don't know even if they will be healthy in another year.