I loved what I saw last night

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I loved what I saw last night

Too tired to do any extensive analysis, but a few things really stand out as positives to me from last night:

• Finally, a D that looks like it can control the pace of the game.  I know, I should probably reserve judgment until they play a quality offense (jets are far from that), but I was never worried about the team's ability to hold their lead.  Haven't felt that way in years.  The end of last night's game reminded me of 2003, when Belichick was often content to allow both teams to just eat up clock, knowing his defense was unlikely to give up points.
    • I really like Jones. Liked seeing him moved inside on passing downs, with Buchanon adding pressure on the end.
    • Nink has been a beast.
    • Hightower is growing into a bigger role nicely.
    • Secondary looks good.  Gregory is playing well, and Harmon showed up weell when Gregory was hurt. Talib, Dennard, and Arrington are all playing at a high level, and McCourty is so solid.
    • I am actually excited about the rookie receivers.  Yes, the drops and route running mistakes were horrendous.  But what stood outmost to me was the fact that both Thompkins and Dobson were getting open all over the field.  It's been a lomg time since we've seen that kind of athleticism from our receivers.  Now if they can only learn to catch . . . 
    • Run didn't look good, but I don't think it was a point of focus last night.  Seemed to me that BB and McD were finding every possible opportunity to throw to the rookies.  I think that was intentional.  They want to give those guys lots of practice.  The miserable Jets allowed them a chance for a fifth preseason game almost.  It think it pays dividends down the road.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Re: I loved what I saw last night

I could accept this if you said you "liked" some stuff, but "loved"???

There are probably 25 NFL teams that they could not have beat last night on a neutral field with the personnel that were active.

Troubling signs:

• The O Line was incapable of run blocking most of the night
    • The run defense against a team with a rookie QB was mediocre at best
    • Ghost with another horrible miss

A Win is a Win so that's great, and it's a Division win at that.  But there are storm clouds on the horizon.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

I was encouraged by the "D" last night. They brought us the win. I will say this , Jets dline is (I hate to say) gonna be good, they were tossing Vince aroud last night. Nothing else  I stil despise the Jests. I don't fault our offence for being thin , it happens, but they threw a lot to the rookies to give them reps they got separation alot, but couldn't get the clamps.....yet it will come. winis a win 10 days to get ready for the Bucs, Pats are STILL MY FAVORITE TEAM!! Anyone else??KMc.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Too tired to do any extensive analysis, but a few things really stand out as positives to me from last night:

• Finally, a D that looks like it can control the pace of the game.  I know, I should probably reserve judgment until they play a quality offense (jets are far from that), but I was never worried about the team's ability to hold their lead.  Haven't felt that way in years.  The end of last night's game reminded me of 2003, when Belichick was often content to allow both teams to just eat up clock, knowing his defense was unlikely to give up points.
    • I really like Jones. Liked seeing him moved inside on passing downs, with Buchanon adding pressure on the end.
    • Nink has been a beast.
    • Secondary looks good.  Gregory is playing well, and Harmon showed up weell when Gregory was hurt. Talib, Dennard, and Arrington are all playing at a high level, and McCourty is so solid.
    • I am actually excited about the rookie receivers.  Yes, the drops and route running mistakes were horrendous.  But what stood outmost to me was the fact that both Thompkins and Dobson were getting open all over the field.  It's been a lomg time since we've seen that kind of athleticism from our receivers.  Now if they can only learn to catch . . . 
    • Run didn't look good, but I don't think it was a point of focus last night.  Seemed to me that BB and McD were finding every possible opportunity to throw to the rookies.  I think that was intentional.  They want to give those guys lots of practice.  The miserable Jets allowed them a chance for a fifth preseason game almost.  It think it pays dividends down the road.

Ditto on all of that. One thing I didn't like was that a couple of Dobson's mistakes were not really rookie stuff, but just lackadaisical play. For instance the circle route where he wasn't even looking for the ball. 

But ... he was beating people, sometimes on routes he shouldn't have been running. 

And I also have to note that Boyce, in a game where NE had to play rookies, didn't make it on the field. Sudfeld was dinged, so he gets a pass, but is Boyce dissappointing McD and BB that much that he can't make the field against a couple guys who dropped nearly 20 passes between them?

Also, my one nit to pick: they certainly ran the ball ... they just did so very poorly. NE needs to figure out how to run when the other team expects it. They weren't generating yards on first and second down runs. Really, they were generating a lot of negative yardage on those plays. 

Last night was a glimpse of what this offense looks like for a full game when it HAS to run the football and everyone knows it. They are not a team that can do that right now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to NESportnut's comment:

I was encouraged by the "D" last night. They brought us the win. I will say this , Jets dline is (I hate to say) gonna be good, they were tossing Vince aroud last night. Nothing else  I stil despise the Jests. I don't fault our offence for being thin , it happens, but they threw a lot to the rookies to give them reps they got separation alot, but couldn't get the clamps.....yet it will come. winis a win 10 days to get ready for the Bucs, Pats are STILL MY FAVORITE TEAM!! Anyone else??KMc.

Ditto. The D was wicked. 

And yeah, Vlad Ducasse looks like the real deal at LG.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

the Jets game plan was to take away the run and make the Roookie WR make plays. the good sign was that they were getting open they will get it together 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

I could accept this if you said you "liked" some stuff, but "loved"???

There are probably 25 NFL teams that they could not have beat last night on a neutral field with the personnel that were active.

Troubling signs:

• The O Line was incapable of run blocking most of the night
    • The run defense against a team with a rookie QB was mediocre at best
    • Ghost with another horrible miss

A Win is a Win so that's great, and it's a Division win at that.  But there are storm clouds on the horizon.

Yeaaaah. Forgot about Ghost missing another medium length FG. If not for the defense, that could have decided the game in any number of scenarios. 

And yeah, the O-line hasn't looked good this season, though a good part o fhtat is that Tom hasn't been able to get the ball out fast this season. He usually makes them look a lot better than they actually are.

With rookie WRs who aren't getting where they need to be, the hot routes are kind of shut off.

As far as run blocking? The Jets knew NE was going to run and that Edelman was going to be the guy who was where he should be, and they stopped them forcing the Rookies to try and carry the game. It was a pretty transparent game plan on defense.

I'd give them a bogey on the run D. Yeah, Ducasse won a lot of battles with Vince (not many G's can do that) and Tommy Kelly, well people just need to accept that he is a (-) run defender. But I think they were ok giving up a run here and there, and were sending extra men to force the Jests into mistakes. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

• Nink has been a beast.

i am with you but am a little concerned with the run O and run D

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The game was a nailbiter but I, too, was encouraged by much of what prolate offered above.  Jets D line is tough and their O line is nothing to sneeze at.  

Young wideouts, I believe, will progress.

It was a good divisional win under tough conditions.  It is only 2 games but I have liked what I've seen from the D thus far.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I think the pass rush has been slowed by an effort to contain the QB in the pocket the first two weeks.  Even when Smith got outside last night the DE's and LB's would go after him but the guards would not pursue.  They just stayed between him and the line of scrimmage. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Yeaaaah. Forgot about Ghost missing another medium length FG. If not for the defense, that could have decided the game in any number of scenarios. 

And yeah, the O-line hasn't looked good this season, though a good part o fhtat is that Tom hasn't been able to get the ball out fast this season. He usually makes them look a lot better than they actually are.

With rookie WRs who aren't getting where they need to be, the hot routes are kind of shut off.

As far as run blocking? The Jets knew NE was going to run and that Edelman was going to be the guy who was where he should be, and they stopped them forcing the Rookies to try and carry the game. It was a pretty transparent game plan on defense.

I'd give them a bogey on the run D. Yeah, Ducasse won a lot of battles with Vince (not many G's can do that) and Tommy Kelly, well people just need to accept that he is a (-) run defender. But I think they were ok giving up a run here and there, and were sending extra men to force the Jests into mistakes. 

I agree here.  I've been saying for a while (sometimes to ridicule) that I don't think the Oline, while good and well-coached, is quite as good as people think.  I don't think it's an elite line, though many seem to think it is. Brady makes it better in pass protection because he gets the ball out fast, and the potency of the passing game in general opens up running opportunities.  If the Pats are forced to play run first, teams will be able to defend the run against them.  Still, I'm not too worried about the run game because once they get Gronk back and the passing game tuned up, I think the run will come around.  

I'm also not going to get too worked up about run D given that that's been a strebgth of the D for years.

Was the hold okay on Gost's awful kick? Couldn't see from the stands and haven't seen any replays yet. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from facman34288. Show facman34288's posts

Gotta agree with Fish, blocking was tepid at best and what is up with Vince?  either he was gassed all night  or the effort was not there or age is finally creeping up.  If you watch him close on many plays if he doesn't get penetration he will just stay on the line and slide.....and is he at his biggest (fat) ever?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

I don't think the short week helped the new receivers at all either. It will take some time for them to adjust, and it might be that the passing game will need to be simplified a little until they get confident. The offense under Brady has been pretty sophisticated, and they've had a lot of core consistency over the past few years to tune it up. It would probably be much less of a problem if they only had one or two new people to get acclimated, but their entire receiving core minus Edelman is new. It will be an interesting year.

Good to see the D step up, as others have said - I wouldn't mind a return to a running / screen style offense with a stifling D for the season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I was concerned in the 2nd and 3rd when it looked like the Jets could move the ball at will but they really impressed me when they locked it down in the 4th. That was great to see that they could hit another gear when needed 

Yes very good to see, now if they can just add some blitzes and take advantage of it. No more vanilla D please

• Nink has been a beast.

Always loved Nink

• Secondary looks good.  Gregory is playing well, and Harmon showed up weell when Gregory was hurt.

Yep secondary looked good, still some things to fix (like pass offs between the CB's and S's need a lot of work) but overall look like they are starting to come together

This I can't really agree with. Rooks are rooks and will make rookie mistakes. That's not the most concerning, but that they have to rely on them and might have to all year does. The rooks have no time to get up to speed which is asking a lot and we might be asking too much of them in year 1. If they were #4 or 5 receiving options that's a different story but they are still unknowns and shouldn't have to be counted on to make those catches in critical moments right now

I have to agree to a point but when they needed it they couldn't get it. It's fine to work in the rooks and give them time but not in a close game in conditions that you need the run. You also need to practice in those hostal conditions so when the playoffs come around you can get that 1yrd when you need it most.

Overall some good things but some bad things as well. They need to get healthy in the biggest way. The most concerning thing right now to me is the lack or durable vet depth with the offensive weapons and the lack or depth overall on the D side of the ball. I'm afaird the D will wear down as the year progresses and that these nagging injures on the O side won't go away by the playoffs

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

I was concerned in the 2nd and 3rd when it looked like the Jets could move the ball at will but they really impressed me when they locked it down in the 4th. That was great to see that they could hit another gear when needed 

Yes very good to see, now if they can just add some blitzes and take advantage of it. No more vanilla D please

• Nink has been a beast.

Always loved Nink

• Secondary looks good.  Gregory is playing well, and Harmon showed up weell when Gregory was hurt.

Yep secondary looked good, still some things to fix (like pass offs between the CB's and S's need a lot of work) but overall look like they are starting to come together

This I can't really agree with. Rooks are rooks and will make rookie mistakes. That's not the most concerning, but that they have to rely on them and might have to all year does. The rooks have no time to get up to speed which is asking a lot and we might be asking too much of them in year 1. If they were #4 or 5 receiving options that's a different story but they are still unknowns and shouldn't have to be counted on to make those catches in critical moments right now

I have to agree to a point but when they needed it they couldn't get it. It's fine to work in the rooks and give them time but not in a close game in conditions that you need the run. You also need to practice in those hostal conditions so when the playoffs come around you can get that 1yrd when you need it most.

Overall some good things but some bad things as well. They need to get healthy in the biggest way. The most concerning thing right now to me is the lack or durable vet depth with the offensive weapons and the lack or depth overall on the D side of the ball. I'm afaird the D will wear down as the year progresses and that these nagging injures on the O side won't go away by the playoffs

[/QUOTE]

The run game was the most dissapointing. Everyone said ... just run the ball. It's not working out. Ridley, who hasn't faced any changes, has been gutless. 

Last night he subtracted yards through mistakes (cutting back away from short, but blocked yardage into defenders) on a couple plays, and he almost fumbled the game away (again) on a toss play. 

If NE is going to weather the storm of playing through two huge inuries and a complete turnover at WR ... to rookies ... they are going to need Ridley to step up. Because of the wrist injury ... NE can't count on Vereen coming in and energizing the offense. 

Ridley has to be the guy, and he hasn't played well at all. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

A real positive was that the Jets knew many times that Brady was going to Edelman and still couldn't stop him. Did the frequent Brady to Edelman remind you of Brady's same reliance on Wes Welker?

Running game & pass rush were weak but at the end Brady played the clock exceptionally well.

Weather was not conducive to effective passing but Jets receivers too dropped quite a few fortuantely for us.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

I think the pass rush has been slowed by an effort to contain the QB in the pocket the first two weeks.  Even when Smith got outside last night the DE's and LB's would go after him but the guards would not pursue.  They just stayed between him and the line of scrimmage. 

I agree with this, And the pass rush got better and better

I agree generally with Prolate

Did the Jets stack the box on the Patriot's Oline?

I am not thrilled with the O game plan and calling in this game

I believe - once the wr's have a good game it will snow ball for us

We had no TE play worht talking about

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

[QUOTE]

I agree with this, And the pass rush got better and better

I agree generally with Prolate

Did the Jets stack the box on the Patriot's Oline?

I am not thrilled with the O game plan and calling in this game

I believe - once the wr's have a good game it will snow ball for us

We had no TE play worht talking about

[/QUOTE]

Yes. The Jets were all over the run, and they bracketed Edelman. It really is an elementary game plan. Coming in everyone knows NE had two players ... Ridley and Edelman. 

The plan was to make the rookies beat single coverage or decypher disguised coverage. It worked fairly well - outside the fact that Tom did a great job protecting the ball and didn't pull the trigger on misrun routes that would have caused a pick. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.