I take back what I said about Mankins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: I take back what I said about Mankins

Great.  Now admit Maryweather s*cks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I too am disappointed in Mankins.  I viewed him as a quality blue collar player, a throw back type.  I was wrong.  He is behaving like a spoiled litte diva.  I expected better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What I don't understand about the Mankins situation is where he thinks this ridiculous contract he apparently wants is going to come from. I'm still a little concerned about the structure, but if this guy actually turned down $7 million a year over the life of the contract, he's an idiot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Datdude wins that argument! XD

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Vollmer's a better and more valuable o lineman than Mankins. Logan's being a turd for sure. I really didn't expect him to demand TOP of market money, and he really doesn't deserve it. He's good but not dominant, so it won't exactly crush their team to be missing him.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

Hog H. he's not, never was and never will be. Trust me Bill has a plan an the OL won't miss a beat, hell might even improve.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I'm just sad about all this Mankins stuff. To bad he has to go now. I think I will start another thread on how sad I am...........:)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: I take back what I said about Mankins:
    If you guys really think we can just move on with out our best O linemen you are nuts. We will clearly miss him. He might not be the hog of old but he is the closest thing we have had in a long time. Posted by MVPkilla4life

Amen to that. He's no Hog Hanna but he's the best we've had in a long time.

I gave him credit for some common sense that he doesn't seem to have. Top 5 money to play for the Pats? Should have been a no-brainer. He'll end up somewhere like Seattle, making $7.1 mil and never see another playoff game for the rest of his career.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

"If you guys really think we can just move on with out our best O linemen you are nuts. We will clearly miss him"

I completely disagree with you here killa.  Guards are easily replaceable.  All you need is an extra large human who can hold a block for 4 seconds.  There's really not a whole lot to the position. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Losing Mankins is a big blow to the line and TB can't be real happy.  This is a bigger loss to us than Faneca was for the Jets.  But moving Kaczur inside (which is what they've been working on in mini-camp) and putting Vollmer at RT could end up strengthening the line overall.  I'd rather have a solid RT that can play on an island and give help to Kaz at LG than to have the same line as last year with Vollmer playing only when someone gets hurt. 

If we can get a 2nd for Mankins and ship him off to a bad team that would be about as good as we can hope for at this point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriotway. Show Patriotway's posts

For all of you who are bashing Mankins for not excepting the reported contract, you have no idea how the contract offer is structured and how much money is guaranteed, which makes all the difference. What if the contract was for an average of 4 mil a year for the first three years and then the rest on the back end. What if the guaranteed money was only 10 mil? They could cut him after year 3 and he would be screwed. Know the facts of the contract structure before you bash the guy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Mankins wants to get paid more than he's worth.  You can say he's worth 8 or 9 million a year but he's not because he's not a free agent.  He can say if I was a free agent I would get this much or that much but he's restricted and there are no other offers coming in for him.  I have no problem with a player seeking as much money as they can get or a team trying to pay as little as they can get because that's just business but Mankins is essentially only going to get less, not more.  He can play for 7mil, 3mil, 1.6mil, or less if he skips games.  There is no upside for him here.
    Now he wants to say the Pats aren't treating him with respect because they aren't paying him like a free agent.  That's like a team saying they were disrespected because a player signed a deal with another team for more money than they would pay.  They are not going to pay him more than he's worth and if he were a free agent I wouldn't expect him to take less than he's worth from the Pats (and he wouldn't).  If he wants to get free agent money than he needs to wait until he's a free agent.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I look at it as a great opportunity for guys like Connolley, Ornberger and Larsen.  Sure it's unfortunate not having Mankins but, lets face it, he's not better than a guy like Hutchinson, and Hutch makes $7 million/year.  To turn down that kind of money in this economy isn't going to win you many popularity votes. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

For all of you who are bashing Mankins for not excepting the reported contract, you have no idea how the contract offer is structured and how much money is guaranteed, which makes all the difference. What if the contract was for an average of 4 mil a year for the first three years and then the rest on the back end. What if the guaranteed money was only 10 mil? They could cut him after year 3 and he would be screwed. Know the facts of the contract structure before you bash the guy.
    Posted by Patriotway

Did the Pats say this was their final offer? I doubt it. You must agree that its a fair start.

We're bashing Mankins because he called the front office liars, when it appears not to be true.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

I'm just sad about all this Mankins stuff. To bad he has to go now. I think I will start another thread on how sad I am...........:)
    Posted by raptor64d

Well stated raptor, whoooaaaah! God Bless and keep up the fire.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

He turned down a 5 year deal worth 35 million in total and he would have been paid 7 million per season for the life of the contract
    Posted by MVPkilla4life
    I think there was more money than that involved as I think there was also some bonus money.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

He turned down a 5 year deal worth 35 million in total and he would have been paid 7 million per season for the life of the contract
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Before we throw Mankins totally under the bus, we don't really know any of the critical facts. 

Unless I missed these details, we don't know how much of the $35 mill is guaranteed.  We don't know if it was $7 mill per year, or just a deal that averaged $7 mill, which could mean $3 mill a year for 4 years and $23 mill in year 5, which he'd never see.  Even if it's not backloaded, if there's only minimal guaranteed dough, it's not really a $35 mill offer.

We also don't know any of the details of the promises that Kraft allegedly made to Mankins. The only thing we know (conveniently leaked for our consumption) is that he had an offer that would average $7 mill per year, if it were fully paid out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I can honestly say that I never saw a Guard that was a game changer......ever.....not a one. 

They should be paid Long Snapper money and be glad about it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla-2010. Show MVPkilla-2010's posts

I dont know about that, John Hannah was a pretty big time player.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Taz - what the hell are you doing posting at this hour?  You're supposed to have a life, unlike the rest of us.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'm not throwing Mankins under the bus.  My problem is that he want to turn a business decision personal.  "Why don't they pay me more money, that's disrespect", No that's business.  You won't get paid more than you have to be paid-simple as that.  I'm not going to go to my boss and say "I thought you liked me, you know I do a good job, why don't I get paid $500,000 per year?, you're disrespecting me."  If nobody else will pay me more than they don't have any reason to get me to stay with more money.

Doesn't matter how much they like you, how good a job you do.  His choice is to play out the 3 mil one year deal and cash in next year as a free agent or sign a long term deal now for slightly less than he could get as a free agent but more than he will get this year on a one year deal.  It's just business, the Pats make the same choice.  They could not offer anything and have him play for less than the deal they offered but they felt the long term contract could be a good deal in the long term even though it is more costly this year than making him play under the tag.  He needs to just accept that not being a free agent is going to make the contract offer lower and it's not the Pats fault that the system is that way but money in his pocket is money out of someone else's pocket.  He's not a charity case nobody is going to give him money just to make him happy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nbptbob. Show nbptbob's posts

It's always a good idea to remember the context on Mankins side.  He may not be able to separate the business and personal. He may not have a good grasp of his own value to the Patriots. And he may not be quite the team player we thought he was when he was quietly going about his business.  The unrest in the clubhouse last year may have left him feeling more in synch with the agitators than with the team leadership.  Add some unwise advice from an agent and you can easily wind up with a very decent player way out on an unrealistic limb. If grown-up heads can't prevail on Mankins to give up the resistance and settle into his proper place on the team quietly, he will have to go.  He would otherwise detract from the team's cohesion, and no player is worth that.  If he goes, it will almost certainly be managed by the Patriots in a way that was felt to be best for the team. It's a shame all around, but Mankins' foolish emotionalism is the real culprit here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Did the Pats say this was their final offer? I doubt it. You must agree that its a fair start. We're bashing Mankins because he called the front office liars, when it appears not to be true.
    Posted by digger0862

I think the reason we are bashing Mankins is because he called the front office liars, which appears that they are not.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

I dont know about that, John Hannah was a pretty big time player.
    Posted by MVPkilla-2010

Good point.  Is Mankins as good as or even almost as good as John Hannah.  Not even close.

The Patriots are just being good businessmen and evaluating Mankins on the incremental to assess his value, i.e. how does he compare to the best guards in the league and those on the team.  They must believe that they have guards on the team that, on an incremental basis, are the equivalent to Mankins.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Interior linemen are overrated and numerous guards have left the Pats and they have plugged em in day in and day out without a problem. This guy had a very average season yes he was voted to the pro bowl and I love Mankins much as the next guy with his blue collar work ethic but this guy just straight up got blasted during the worst moments for the Pats. Wanna know who blew their assignment in the Broncos game that caused Brady to fumble. Mankins. Am I saying hes a bad player? Hell no but hes not worth more than 7 mill and if the Pats budge I will have a problem because they have to resign the likes of Brady, Moss, Welker, Meriweather, and Mayo very soon.

Mankins isnt worth more than 7 mill which is top guard money. We are sadly in the same situation as the Jets. A player who is a great player for his team wants a boatload of cash that would hurt the team in the long run. 

I wish someone could tell Mankins the Pats broke no promises. They said they would work on a contract later and they did. Your upset because you want more money. Instead of going through the media maybe you should up the deal more and stop acting like Terrell Owens.