I was at the game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

I was at the game

Yesterday was my son's birthday and back in June I bought tickets to the game for the two of us.  When you are at the game you can see the whole field and get a different perspective of what is going on.

First, let me preface this by saying that Brady is a great QB and a maybe even the very best ever.  However, yesterday, he just plain stunk it up.  On one series he twice threw into very tight coverage on the right sideline -- incomplete -- when Welker didn't have a defender within fifteen yeards of him.  On that second one it would have been a walk-in touchdown for Welker.  Instead, we settled for a field goal.  He also undertrhrew a number of passes and overthrew quite a few (one to Welker for what would have been a long gain).  There was none of that surgical, precision passing that we have gotten so used to.  I lay the blame for this being as close as it was squarely on his shoulders.

The defense needs to wake up before a full quarter of the game is gone.  That first Jacksonville march down the field was ridiculous.  It looked like Brady, not Henne, was their QB picking apart our defense with surgical precision.  Thankfully they woke up and gave up little (except one long running play) the rest of the game. 

We can also thank that wide receiver on the right side of the Jacksonville line for his false start when they had second and goal from the one foot line.

I guess I shouldn't complain.  It became a rather exciting game rather than the 51-13 that I predicted before the game.  However, I don't really want to go down to the last five seconds to know that we have won the game.  We can't afford to play like that against quality opponents if we want to go all the way.  For that matter, we better straighten the ship or we will lose to Miami --  a much better team than Jacksonville.

Just  my observations from nose bleed territory on the 50-yard line.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: I was at the game

In response to sheldong's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yesterday was my son's birthday and back in June I bought tickets to the game for the two of us.  When you are at the game you can see the whole field and get a different perspective of what is going on.

First, let me preface this by saying that Brady is a great QB and a maybe even the very best ever.  However, yesterday, he just plain stunk it up.  On one series he twice threw into very tight coverage on the right sideline -- incomplete -- when Welker didn't have a defender within fifteen yeards of him.  On that second one it would have been a walk-in touchdown for Welker.  Instead, we settled for a field goal.  He also undertrhrew a number of passes and overthrew quite a few (one to Welker for what would have been a long gain).  There was none of that surgical, precision passing that we have gotten so used to.  I lay the blame for this being as close as it was squarely on his shoulders.

The defense needs to wake up before a full quarter of the game is gone.  That first Jacksonville march down the field was ridiculous.  It looked like Brady, not Henne, was their QB picking apart our defense with surgical precision.  Thankfully they woke up and gave up little (except one long running play) the rest of the game. 

We can also thank that wide receiver on the right side of the Jacksonville line for his false start when they had second and goal from the one foot line.

I guess I shouldn't complain.  It became a rather exciting game rather than the 51-13 that I predicted before the game.  However, I don't really want to go down to the last five seconds to know that we have won the game.  We can't afford to play like that against quality opponents if we want to go all the way.  For that matter, we better straighten the ship or we will lose to Miami --  a much better team than Jacksonville.

[/QUOTE]

thanks shel

wake up call wihtout losing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Usually a poor throw/decision is due to the QB not having the time to find the open target. Brady has enough experience to throw the ball away with a high or low throw, making un catchable by the defense. Brady did not have his best game yesterday, but the Oline did him no favors, nor did his receivers, as they struggled to get open all day.

i thought the team came in noticeably flat, not ready to play, and that is on the coaches. The #1 seed is in play, and the team was not ady to play. I would assume that BB is more furious today after the game than he was after the 49'er loss. 

Defense battled with injuries, sub players and passive/vanilla defense. That is no excuse for uneven effort. This teams trademark is playing 60 minutes, and yesterday they did not do that. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Usually a poor throw/decision is due to the QB not having the time to find the open target. Brady has enough experience to throw the ball away with a high or low throw, making un catchable by the defense. Brady did not have his best game yesterday, but the Oline did him no favors, nor did his receivers, as they struggled to get open all day.

i thought the team came in noticeably flat, not ready to play, and that is on the coaches. The #1 seed is in play, and the team was not ady to play. I would assume that BB is more furious today after the game than he was after the 49'er loss. 

Defense battled with injuries, sub players and passive/vanilla defense. That is no excuse for uneven effort. This teams trademark is playing 60 minutes, and yesterday they did not do that. 

[/QUOTE]

The passes I was talking about had nothing to do with the O-lone.  The two that should have gone to Welker, and the overthrow of Welker, had him standing untouched after them.  I do credit, and I mean credit, him with taking that sack at the end of the game.  He had the smarts NOT to throw it away -- thereby taking a lot of time off the clock before the punt.  Yes, some his underthrows were due to being hurried -- but many were not.  He had an open Hernandez running to the right sideline and threw the ball three feet behind him at his feet, rather than at his right shoulder.  Pure and simple, he stunk it up yesterday -- even with two TD pases -- and I love Brady as our QB.  He looked like a rookie.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

We undoubtably saw 2 different games. I thought Brady was not on the same page as Hern (mailed it in yesterday, not re ady to play) and Lloyd in the end zone. 

Brady's int thrown to Ridley was the result of not finding the 1 st or 2 nd option available. 

The int thrown at Ridley, needed Ridley to go up and get that ball, not wait for the defender to make a play on the ball ( it hit the defender in the arm without the defender even turning his head)

did Brady make some poor throws? Yes, but in general the oline did him no favors, nor did his receivers. Oline clearly misses Gronk, as does Brady. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You can throw in the up coming holiday into the equation too (although that really shouldn't be an excuse - it's not like they were actually playing on Christmas). I think the offense needs Gronk back big time. I like the way Lloyd has played for the most part and maybe this stretch where we needed him more will improve him going forward, but if we are going to win anything Gronk needs to be healthy.

I hope not having a linebacker and a corner were the reason the defense played bad against a putrid offense yesterday, but to me it looks like we just get blocked up front and it kills us. It doesn't happen every play, but it happens too often. Chandler looked like he woke up towards the end which is good. To me it comes down to, can Wilfork play like he did against Houston and the Jets on Thanksgiving night? If he does, I think we can win the whole thing. If not we won't. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

A healthy Gronk is vital to the offense next to Brady. After two huge emotional games against the Texans and 49ers a letdown was expected. Be fortunate to come away with a win against an inferior team that came to play. Getting rested and healthy for the playoffs is the focus going forward and then try to beat a tough Miami team in the regular season finale.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A healthy Gronk is vital to the offense next to Brady. After two huge emotional games against the Texans and 49ers a letdown was expected. Be fortunate to come away with a win against an inferior team that came to play. Getting rested and healthy for the playoffs is the focus going forward and then try to beat a tough Miami team in the regular season finale.

[/QUOTE]

Good points.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

after what he did to try and win against the 49 's , and the win against the Texans, the number of yards he threw, his shoulder and arm are probably sore and tired. This is where his age catches up with him, his recovery time takes longer.  plus he hurt his hand. It would be great if he could rest against Miami, but that will never happen, especially with Houston losing. I wish just once someone would rise up and make some big plays to take the pressure off the quarterback. I mean who can he really count on-Hernandez not where he sould be -Lloyd not tough enough, Welker drops the ball at the worse times, Ridley fumbles, the special teams? Ghost-does anyone trust him to win a game. the defense?!? who the hell knows what their going to do.  How does Brady year after year pull something from within himself to carry this team the way he does.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

I think they were also using yesterday to work on some things.

Maybe he was trying to go to a different option either to work on that throw for when Welker is not covered, or to give Defensive coordinators something is to take into account in the playoffs.

When you look at what we did to the 49ers when we were down by 28 points, I gotta believe that the Patriots were never worried about putting points on the board if they needed to.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

I was at the game my self. The Pats had a virual home game yesterday.  Depending where you were sitting the cheers were loader for the Pats.

I think we had no enegy at all and Jags where winning the small battles. I chauk this one up great to get out of town with win.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

In response to genaro008's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was at the game my self. The Pats had a virual home game yesterday.  Depending where you were sitting the cheers were loader for the Pats.

I think we had no enegy at all and Jags where winning the small battles. I chauk this one up great to get out of town with win.

[/QUOTE]

Did you see those wide open Welkers that he simply did not see, especially the one near the goal line?  I'd say it was 30% Pats fans in the stands.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Digger, I'm with you on this one.   Two big emotional games in a row and that loss to the 49er's bugged Tom to no end.  I wonder if it were a distraction in preparing for the lowly Jags. 

I expect to see the Pats clicking on all cylinders against Miami.   I wouldn't want to be the Dolphins next week.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'm letting Brady play the " I'm a new dad and I've had crap for sleep" card.   I think the whole team took their foot off the gas.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I've been to plenty of games through the years and I myself prefer the nosebleeds because you see everything including the coverages. However, you do not see the Quarterback's view though. I agree Brady was mediocre yesterday (blaming him for a win is where this fan base has come to I guess).  On the second interception Hernandez was wide open in front of Brady (with no D lineman blocking his view) and he instead threw a bad pass to an unopen lloyd. In my opinion TV viewership gives you a better feel for the game though (trust me Brady did not look good on TV either). Replays, unless completely obvious (or perhaps on Dallas' monitor) are not helpful in the stands. The TV networks are so good at what they do (except color commentating) that I sometimes have trouble in the stands estimating first downs. What looks like an obvious first down from my angle turns out to be only a 4th and 2.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm letting Brady play the " I'm a new dad and I've had crap for sleep" card.   I think the whole team took their foot off the gas.  

[/QUOTE]

Except for the first drive and part of the second, and for one long running play later, the defense was fine.  They were down early 13-3 (a little into the second quarter).  After that it was 20-3 Patriots.  Of course they did have bit of false start help with second and goal from the one foot line, but they came up big after that penalty on Jacksonville.  As I said at the outset, the blame on the offense is about 95% Brady.  He didn't even look for secondary targets like a WIDE open Welker.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I thought Brady had a down game but when Hernandez does not reach for a ball on a key third down that's Brady's fault.  When the offensive line allows a straight on hit when the tackle completely whiffs thats Brady's fault even though he doesn't fumble it. When a running back attempts to vault into the end zone from the 3 yard line and lands on the 2 instead of running it in that's Brady's fault. The fact that other than Woodhead the running backs do not seem to block very well is also Brady's fault. Brady played bad but he still was one of the primary reasons they won. After the first quarter he was something like 21 for 31 with 2 tds and no ints. He really just stunk in the first quarter and was merely good (not great like we have come to expect) the rest of the game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In response to sheldong's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much how I saw it from the stream on my laptop.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought Brady had a down game but when Hernandez does not reach for a ball on a key third down that's Brady's fault.  When the offensive line allows a straight on hit when the tackle completely whiffs thats Brady's fault even though he doesn't fumble it. When a running back attempts to vault into the end zone from the 3 yard line and lands on the 2 instead of running it in that's Brady's fault. The fact that other than Woodhead the running backs do not seem to block very well is also Brady's fault. Brady played bad but he still was one of the primary reasons they won. After the first quarter he was something like 21 for 31 with 2 tds and no ints. He really just stunk in the first quarter and was merely good (not great like we have come to expect) the rest of the game.

[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm noted.  I didn't say that Brady was the only culprit.  However, in THIS game, Brady looked like Henne and Henne looked like Brady.  I don't know what the TV showed, but I could see WWWWIIIIIIIDDDDDEEEEE open Welker over the middle -- TWICE -- and Brady didn't even look his way.  Also, he threw behind Hernanez running to the sidelines.  It landed five feet behind Hernandez.  Was Brady Sanchez-like?  Definitely not.  He was just plain, below an average QB in this game.  As for the vaulting, it ended at the 1 yd line, not the 2 and there would have been nothing if he hadn't vaulted.  As for that clean hit, I already gave Brady credit for holding on to it and not throwing it away, thereby killing valuable time off the clock.

In summary, Brady was BAD.  He just wasn't even good.  Believe me, if he had played like this in 2001, we might still have had Bledsoe for a number of more years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Stop making excuses for Brady, love the guy, but this is the best team he's had since 2007. He can win with this team, he just has to be...well, Brady. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

ccnsd ...

I nominate you for BDC line of the year :

" I agree Brady was mediocre yesterday (blaming him for a win is where this fan base has come to I guess). "

Spot on !