Idea at RB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Idea at RB

Saw this here:

He's like a rich man's Kevin Faulk

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Re: Idea at RB

I like Westbrook but I read somewhere that his concussions really spooked him into thinking about retirement. He wasn't a SEC guy he was a Villanova guy so he is probably pretty smart away from football and he probably wants to keep it that way. I know that plenty of non Vanderbilt SEC guys are smart, but you know what i'm getting at.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Steven Jackson.  Use one of their high picks and trade it to St L for him.  Not sure if ST L would even consider this but hope they try at least!  Imagine our offense with a STUD RB!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

LOL! we don't need anymore injury prone RB's.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Suprisingly Westbrook averages 13.3 games a season which is more than I expected given his injury history.  However he is an elite back when "healthy" and it can be argued that most RB's are never 100% healthy during a season.  IMO, he has too much of an injury history for my likings especially the concussions, for my money I'd like them to bring in a fresh, young and dynamic back in the 2009 draft.  Ryan Matthews (5-11 220, Fresno State) is a guy that intrigues me, he's a tough, slashing, north-south runner who makes yards after contact and has the speed to take it the distance on any play.  He was second in the nation in rushing this year (1,808 YDS and 19 TD's) and has had a good career (3,280 39 TD's on 534 carries).  There's also a coaching connection with Pat Hill (Fresno State HC) as he was an assistand under Belichick in Cleveland.

Below are his highlights from 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4kGNjdFgpg

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Pass on Westbrook. We need to get younger at RB. Why trade a pick for Jackson when we could get a better/younger back in the draft? But, and this is a big "but" we need a OC to create plays for him. I'm thinking what Denver did with their backs when Shanahan ran things. 

We need a big bruising back like Toby Gerhart at Stanford. Get this, NO fumbles in 4 years and 671 carries. 6'1" 235 lbs. Now, I hear the expected "no speed" critiques of him but, was John Riggins a blazer? Give this guy the ball 25 times a game and watch him WEAR DOWN the opposing D. We don't need 25 yards a carry. 4.5 yards X 25 carries is 112 yards. YouTube him, he's a quality guy and is a true athlete. I for one would love this guy in a Patriots uniform. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

One clip. Look at this and drool:

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I like Gerhart, yes he's a brusing back but what I like about him after seeing a bunch of interviews and his coaches talk about him is how much this kid loves playing football.  This kid prepares to play each week.

Bungle I agree we don't need the homerun hitter I think greenellis can provide that.  Gerhart is a tough dedicated football player, hmm wonder who has said the team needs to become more of that in 2010 could have been TB?

Hope BB drafts him and guys like him as well as some veterans through FA that have the same work ethic.  There are still some guys who see the Patriots as top three jobs to land.  Get those guys in here get rid off the guys who just play for a paycheck and don't care win or loss.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjLh_yO41jw&NR=1&feature=fvwp

I wish we had a O-line that could block like that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Kevin Faulk is a UFA this year...I hope he stays.

Here are some Free agent RB's:

Ronnie Brown RFA
    Rickey Williams UFA
    Chester Taylor UFA
    Leon Washington UFA
    Willie Parker UFA
    Darren Sproles UFA
    Lendale White UFA

Of this list, I would think that BB would be interested in Washington or Sproles....maybe a bruiser back like white.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Philskiw-

I don't know about you but I get goose bumps thinking about Gerhart in a Patriots uniform. Use BJGE in a FB role for Gerhart and watch opposing D's hitting the oxygen masks on the sidelines! We don't need a 5'9" back. I mean, Ray Rice is great but, they also have McGahee for the north-south stuff. Gerhart, Morris, BJGE, Faulk would be a scary set of backs to plan for. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Phils thanks for the link, its oficial I'm starting the Toby as a patriot in 2010 fan club.  Most surprising was the play against SC, they have speed and he was able to run for 20 yards on them and there were others he out ran DBs.  he might not be 4.3 but he has football speed and can make smooth cuts for a big guy and catches the ball too!  Yeah he needs to be a Patriot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I don't think Gerhart's bruising running style will work in the NFL, where everyone is faster and hits harder.  I think he'll beat himself up if he tries running like that.  I also think he looked slow at times, which was masked by the ridiculously gigantic holes his line opened up for him.  Furthermore, I don't think he looked fluid or natural running that screen and that circle route for receiving touchdowns and I don't think you could ever split him out wide.

I think the Pats need a DUAL THREAT running back - someone who can stay in the game and be a threat in both the running and the passing game.  It would keep defenses much more honest.  With Faulk you know it's pass or draw play and with Maroney and Taylor you know it's more likely a run.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I certainly have always been a Westbrook Fan and I'm not opposed to bringing him in if it is at the right price. I would think that he is got to be worth 4 or 5 million to the right team though. I think I'm with the people that want to address our RB needs in the draft. There seems to be a handfull of good running backs coming out this year. The more I think about it the more I like Mark Ingram. He is a power house that is supposed to have great speed to go with it. I can't wait for the combine now to see what some of these guys can do there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I didn't realize that Kevin Faulk was a free agent.

I feel like there is some redundancy in skill sets between Westbrook and Faulk - the key is determining whether Westbrook's inability to run between the tackles is his own fault, his offensive line's fault, or Andy Reid's fault with playcalling.

What Faulk gives you:
    -> pass catching
    -> ability to split out wide / route running is on par with slot receivers
    -> blitz pickup
    -> elusive running in space
    -> locker room presence / leadership
    -> remembers when the Patriots won Super Bowls
    x not the best between the tackles
    x doesn't usually play with Brady under center

What Westbrook gives you
    -> pass catching
    -> ability to split out wide / route running is on par with slot receivers