If Brandon Lloyd goes down then what?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

If Brandon Lloyd goes down then what?

If we lose Lloyd it's 2 T/Es and Welker---because after that it's Edelman and Slater--sounds scary to me. I know Branch and Gaffney might still be there but they may not either---anyone else concerned?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: If Brandon Lloyd goes down then what?

Nah then Hern takes Lloyds spot, Welker remains out, and Fells with Gronk take the traditional TE role that can release or stay in

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Nothing we just use salas as we used branch last year, since 85 was a no show. I see it this way: Lloyd was an upgrade over branch, and Salas an upgrade over 85. I don't think BB and McD are putting too much of an emphasis on the WR positions hence all these TE they're bringing in.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

Rusty, I like the new name it's about time you learned to appreciate TB!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

The missing component in this offense since Moss has been the ability to stretch defenses. Now clearly they've found ways to move the ball and score lots of points, but Lloyd brings a much needed component that could pay dividends in big games. The answer to the question of what they do if he goes down is they return to the team they were the past few years with no legit deep threat. They'll likely bring a few veteran receivers in, but regardless their game remains keeping the offense moving, Brady changing it up at the line according to the defense, throwing to the tight ends, using screens, hitting the slot guys, and basically overhwhelming opposing defenses with match-up nightmares and constant pressure. Lloyd adds the extra dimension of making it more difficult to jam this team, but the talent of Brady, Hern, Gronk, Welker, etc. and the inability of defenders to stop any of these receivers 1 on 1 makes it go. Of course all of this is predicated on a more than solid O-line and a samblance of a running game so we will see how this edition of the offense goes. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

It would hurt but BB always finds a way to keep the beat going without much of a drop. I remember when he cut Terry Glenn halfway through the season in 2001. At the time it looked like they would struggle but we all know that didn't happen. I hope Lloyd and everyone else stays healthy but injuries are going to happen and with the depth that BB has built this team with we should be able to sustain any injury except for Brady.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I agree with the premise. We need pro bowl caliber players at all back up positions. I mean look how incapable this team was passing the ball last year without Lloyd. Barely got over the 5,000 yard mark. ...

If Lloyd goes down we need like a Mike Wallace, or maybe a Calvin Johnson type backing him up to make sure we can at least score 117 points a game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Then I guess we'll be pretty much stuck with the same old record breaking SB caliber offense we had last year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Didn't think Lloyd is the key to the passing side of the offense.  Yes, he may stretch the field, but, it is not like Brady throws to only one receiver.  As with all BB teams, someone steps in and the Ws keep going!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

If he doesn't sign elsewhere bring Gaffney back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Didn't think Lloyd is the key to the passing side of the offense.  Yes, he may stretch the field, but, it is not like Brady throws to only one receiver.  As with all BB teams, someone steps in and the Ws keep going!

If Lloyd can make two or three catches of 15-25 yards pre-game it will force the D to defend him and open up the middle of the field and the running game.  If the D stays home to defend the run and TEs Lloyd walks inot the endzone with a TD.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

Maybe it's just me, but so far, I haven't been impressed with Lloyd so far, and all of the ESPN PATS coverage has kind of tapered off from their original excitment.  Granted, BB doesn't show a lot of cards during the preseason, but the talk of TB, Gronk & Lloyd working on the side by themselves didn't make me more comfortable. I expect he's no Chad, and can grasp the playbook or McD wouldn't have brought him in, but I'm still concerned. 

Too bad Demps went down, I could have seen BB & McD using him to stretch the field. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

From what I've seen this pre-seaon it looked like they were testing the waters to see of they could run but that was a failure to launch.  Run 2 yards run -2 yards Brady throw 3 and out.  We saw this in a lot of games last year.  TB need a few series to get his arm warmed up if you lead with the run too often you will be heading back to the bench a lot.  The Pats need to establish the passing game to set up the run can't run first with this team.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

Then I guess we'll be pretty much stuck with the same old record breaking SB caliber offense we had last year.

We lost last year

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to Tomhab's comment:

The Pats need to establish the passing game to set up the run can't run first with this team.

I think it depends on the opponent and what the defense is giving them. We have weapons at WR, TE, and now some young RBs to change it up. Josh will hopefully mix it up every week, and game plan according to what the match-ups are.

I think it's a mistake to always try and go one way or the otehr to set up the other side of your offense. Keep the defense off guard, and take what they don't cover. That will change every week....I hope.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

I don't think our Offensive Line is good enough YET to set up the run without making them respect the pass first.  Ridley did OK in pre-season but I didn't see anything for anyone else out of the backfield.  If they can get a couple of quick first downs then they can run the ball.  I don't want to see TB on the bench for 20 minutes in the first half of the game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

But isn't it easier to block for the run than it is to pass block? Not too sure there are many teams that (won't) respect Brady and the passing game. I really hope these younger RBs can shine this year.....Just Imagine last years offense with a couple great RBs. I am praying this OL will be okay....time will tell

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:

If we lose Lloyd it's 2 T/Es and Welker---because after that it's Edelman and Slater--sounds scary to me. I know Branch and Gaffney might still be there but they may not either---anyone else concerned?

Don't worry about it, you should be more concerned with the "impending doom" that never came last year prior to the lockout. Now that was scary - had to sleep with the light on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:

yes imo. we need a backup outside and deep wr, and i thought for sure we would carry one.
    if lloyd goes down there really isnt that threat. and we could be back in the same boat as last year where des stuff teh short and middle routes. 

i hope we bring gaff back if we dont grab somenone else

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to BrocktonMike's comment:

Maybe it's just me, but so far, I haven't been impressed with Lloyd so far, and all of the ESPN PATS coverage has kind of tapered off from their original excitment.  Granted, BB doesn't show a lot of cards during the preseason, but the talk of TB, Gronk & Lloyd working on the side by themselves didn't make me more comfortable. I expect he's no Chad, and can grasp the playbook or McD wouldn't have brought him in, but I'm still concerned. 

Too bad Demps went down, I could have seen BB & McD using him to stretch the field. 

wish you on demps. agred lloyd and tb not exaclty linked up yet. still not down on the potential. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

re psots above. its not that we need lloyd to be moss. we just need an outside threat defenses have to actaully consider (so  the middle and short routes arent all jammed up. ditto with the rb threat (making them play honest)

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Then, nothing.  I think the performance of  the OL will dictate how well the pass offense works; regardless of whether Lloyd is playing or not.  Noone really knows how often Lloyd is going to create enough separation to get the ball. Secondly, if he's running longer routes - they take longer to develop - so, If our OL is performing like crappola, then Brady will not have enough time to throw anyway; regardless of whether Lloyd is open or not.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

If they use the running game, they won't need a deep threat.