If defense wins the Super Bowl this year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

If defense wins the Super Bowl this year

Then who is going to win?

Not the Pats, Packers or Saints

Defensive rank...Saints 25th-Packers 30th-Pats 32nd The difference between the 3 is a whopping 39 yards

Yards per play given up...Saints 5.8-Packers 6.2-Pats 6.1

Points given up...Saints 22.9-Packers 20.6-Pats 20.3

So why is either the Saints or Packers considered to be close to a lock for the Lombardi Trophy depending on who wins their playoff battle but the Pats are considered to be one and done because of their awful defense?

PS for some reason the Evil log in keeps getting rejected on my work laptop but works at home so no I am not name switching.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: If defense wins the Super Bowl this year

That is only part of the story. 

Everytime there is a big game what is the always on the "what will decide this game list"?  Turnovers of course.  GB is #2 in TO +/-, and #2 in takeaways, those are a huge stats, especially with that offensive firepower.  Giving up a bunch of yards isn't that big a deal if twice a game they're giving Rodgers a short field to work with.  If GB gets 2 more posssessions than their opponent, giving up 280 Pass YPG is a fine trade off.

The other thing to consider with all 3, NO, NE, GB is that the pass yards are going to be high because of garbage time yards.  Eli and Vince both threw for 400+ this week, so what?  GB was ahead of Detroit 24-0 after 3 quarters, do those 2 4th quarter TD drives really reflect GB's overall defense?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamchampy. Show iamchampy's posts

In Response to Re: If defense wins the Super Bowl this year:
    [QUOTE]That is only part of the story.  Everytime there is a big game what is the always on the "what will decide this game list"?  Turnovers of course.  GB is #2 in TO +/-, and #2 in takeaways, those are a huge stats, especially with that offensive firepower.  Giving up a bunch of yards isn't that big a deal if twice a game they're giving Rodgers a short field to work with.  If GB gets 2 more posssessions than their opponent, giving up 280 Pass YPG is a fine trade off. The other thing to consider with all 3, NO, NE, GB is that the pass yards are going to be high because of garbage time yards.  Eli and Vince both threw for 400+ this week, so what?  GB was ahead of Detroit 24-0 after 3 quarters, do those 2 4th quarter TD drives really reflect GB's overall defense?
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

I think the Pats are #1 in both those categories. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If defense wins the Super Bowl this year : I think the Pats are #1 in both those categories. 
    Posted by champy4prez[/QUOTE]

San Fran is # 1 in both.  THe Pats are around 10 in both.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's the hottest D in the playoffs so it could be the Pats, Packers or NO. Typically it's the D that gives up the least points not so much the least yards.

Prime examples are the 06' Colts, 07' Giants, and 09' NO. All of which didn't have great D's during the season but got hot in the post season

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]It's the hottest D in the playoffs so it could be the Pats, Packers or NO. Typically it's the D that gives up the least points not so much the least yards. Prime examples are the 06' Colts, 07' Giants, and 09' NO. All of which didn't have great D's during the season but got hot in the post season
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Excellent point. 

Plus ... the game is about matchups, not every team plays every other team the same way or with the same facility. 

The data suggests that the Pack, NO, and NE are bad matchups against each other .... but they could also be good matchups against other playoff teams that run the ball ... in fact ... I submit that is why GB was built the way it is built. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Defense will not win it, but 35+ points will

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Not a mention of Pittsburgh or Ravens? Both those teams have good Os and strong Ds (though both have had inconsistent stretches).

D does win championships. Maybe not in this current league with the current rules so heavily weighted to passing and scoring. But Ds that can come up with big plays or big series at key times. A goal line stand, a turnover, critical sacks or pressures, a 3 and out, forcing FGs and not allowing TDs...

Who will win? It will depend on health, game plan and execution. THe three top teams in each conference could win it. I would favor the Pats and Ravens in the AFC (especially if Palamalu is really hurt) and GB and NO in NFC with the nod to the Pats and GB. But neither by much. Of the six its anyone's to win.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]Not a mention of Pittsburgh or Ravens? Both those teams have good Os and strong Ds (though both have had inconsistent stretches). D does win championships. Maybe not in this current league with the current rules so heavily weighted to passing and scoring. But Ds that can come up with big plays or big series at key times. A goal line stand, a turnover, critical sacks or pressures, a 3 and out, forcing FGs and not allowing TDs... Who will win? It will depend on health, game plan and execution. THe three top teams in each conference could win it. I would favor the Pats and Ravens in the AFC (especially if Palamalu is really hurt) and GB and NO in NFC with the nod to the Pats and GB. But neither by much. Of the six its anyone's to win.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to discount the Steelers or the Ravens but it seems the media hacks are fixated on the Trophy going back to the NFC again. It was more pointing out their hypocrisy than anything else. The Pats are consistently discounted as a contender because of stats which aren't all that much worse than the favorites.

I would like to see our defense face a couple of tough games in December. It will help gauge if and how much they've improved. Both Miami and Buffalo are going to be firing away with nothing to lose. Plus getting that close to the playoffs BB isn't going to be showing any blitz packages he may have hidden in his sock. Our biggest problem will be defending tall receivers. Especially when you consider the accuracy of a Brees or Rogers. We can beat both the Steelers and Ravens if we have good game planning and take care of the football.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If defense wins the Super Bowl this year : San Fran is # 1 in both.  THe Pats are around 10 in both.

Actually the Pats are tied with Detriot for 5th

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If defense wins the Super Bowl this year : Actually the Pats are tied with Detriot for 5th
    Posted by Tomhab[/QUOTE]

There's 2 points separating 11 through 5 then another 2 points for 5 through 2. Not much of a difference

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Last season the way the young D played I was sure they'de come together this season and it didn't work out that way although they can still surprise us come playoff time.
    First step they need to get healthier.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]That is only part of the story.  Everytime there is a big game what is the always on the "what will decide this game list"?  Turnovers of course.  GB is #2 in TO +/-, and #2 in takeaways, those are a huge stats, especially with that offensive firepower.  Giving up a bunch of yards isn't that big a deal if twice a game they're giving Rodgers a short field to work with.  If GB gets 2 more posssessions than their opponent, giving up 280 Pass YPG is a fine trade off. The other thing to consider with all 3, NO, NE, GB is that the pass yards are going to be high because of garbage time yards.  Eli and Vince both threw for 400+ this week, so what?  GB was ahead of Detroit 24-0 after 3 quarters, do those 2 4th quarter TD drives really reflect GB's overall defense?

the pats were easliy #1 last season with a 14-2 record, how did that work out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If defense wins the Super Bowl this year : Excellent point.  Plus ... the game is about matchups, not every team plays every other team the same way or with the same facility.  The data suggests that the Pack, NO, and NE are bad matchups against each other .... but they could also be good matchups against other playoff teams that run the ball ... in fact ... I submit that is why GB was built the way it is built. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

it might not be a good match up but you have to admit we would get one of the highest scoring SB's in years if any combo of these three teams played.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If defense wins the Super Bowl this year : the pats were easliy #1 last season with a 14-2 record, how did that work out.
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

14-2 record, I'd say it worked out pretty well.

Then they lose the TO battle to the Jets and lose the game.

If your point is "anything can happen in a one and done playoff scenario", well yeah, we all know that.  I'm just saying that looking at passing yardage statistics is a pretty topical way to evaluate how well a defense is playing. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Yet all I ever hear from the "experts" on tv is how bad the Patriots defense is.  They never talk about the Packers and Saints defense!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Yet all I ever hear from the "experts" on tv is how bad the Patriots defense is.  They never talk about the Packers and Saints defense!
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

Just not true.  I hear a lot of people questioning the Saints defense, just today, I heard it multiple times.

As for the Packers, well they are undeafeted and have put up some good defensive games when they've needed them.  Chicago 17 points, ATL 14 points, Det 15 points.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

I'm hoping the Pats face the undefeated Packers in the SB and send them home 18-1.