If I were Meriwerather

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

If I were Meriwerather

I know this subject is basically closed but here's a little add on both Harrison and Dunta Robinson have contested their fines for ill-legal hits,if I were Meriweather I would do the same. My reason is pretty simple if it's good for the goose it has to be good for the gander. So if I were Meriweather I wouldn't pay a dime either, challange this fine it was his first offense and they basically docked him two game checks for one hit and a whiff... There is nothing fair in this fine and there is precedence as too how much a hit like that should be fined as Eric Smith received a 7,500 dollar fine for doing the same thing to Wes Welker in week 2.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: If I were Meriwerather

No man... he literally left his feet and put his head out first with his arms by his chest.. regardless of reasoning it looks too blatant.  Everyone made the comment that his play has no room for NFL play... He did the right thing by saying sorry and moving on.  He should have said that before he said "I won't change how I play the game, point blank", but still like you said, it's now a dead issue.  He needs to be very careful from now on as he has a target on his back from the league.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

Gotta go with getzo, he humbled up,took it and wants to move on. There will be less scrutiny on him now than the other two. Wasn't a good hit , so he dropped the subject. Good for him,moving on hopefully no more bad juju!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Getzo IS correct on this alone...  I haven't given my take on it yet, so here goes:  The play was a busted pass play, and the helmet to helmet, 100% did NOT, in NO way, at ALL, occur intentially...uh-uh, sorry.  You think it did=you're an imbec!le.  Heap, or whomeverTheH#ll was attempting to catch the pass-HIS body, and especially his head, was 100% from every possible freakin' angle, was following the tragetory of the ball.  His head went rom nearly facing the QB, to turning towards Merri coming up from The Safety spot.  And ALL this was happening in the split half a second when Merr wass ALREADY in the air and going for the hit on the guy.  To even DISCUSS "Intent.", We'd have to rationally conclude that Merriweather BOTH has powers of his own perfect body control & intent to harm, because Merriweather, mind you-WHILE in Mid-Air-KNEW that the receiver was goin' to miss the pass and follow the tragetory of the balll upfield with his head, exactly where Merriweather was coming in to hit him from the deep Safety spot.

BUT here's the thing...Merri launched.  PERIOD...END of story.  ZERO helmet to helmet "pure intent" to harm...ridiculous.  You think this and your blind and d#mb.  YET, WHEN you ARE launching, bad sh#t...or should I say, "worse sh#t" is MORE prone to happen.  And it did.  "Launching", like it or not=Illegal, and a bad angled hit, DID unfortunately occur when he did this illegal act. 

It's like, ya innocently go with your pal as the getaway driver after he's gonna rob some dude.  He SHOOTs and kills the dude, but YOU as the getaway driver are unfortunately equally and totally culpable in the capital murder crime, even IF it was in zero way your actual intent to "harm" the victim, but just merely rob him.  You get sentenced to Death Row just like your pal does.  Sign a rap deal, write a book, drop the soap, find jesus...it's a vicious cycle.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: If I were Meriwerather I'd Ignore The Rule And Flatten Whover Is In My Way

In Response to Re: If I were Meriwerather I'd Ignore The Rule And Flatten Whover Is In My Way:
    [QUOTE]"Meriweather launched."   So what?  The argument is ridiculous because Meriweather rattled the ENTIRE Ravens team, not just flattened Todd Heap.  This is what defense is SUPPOSED to do.   It's why the whole anger over Meriweather's hit is an insult.   If he launches into Peyton Manning and Brett Favre's face and they are flattened enough to be unable to win, it's good for the game - they're rule-shielded Tony Eason wannabes, weak players (I'm talking physically) who need to be weeded out of the league so players more like Brady, Steve McNair, Grogs, Troy Aikman, etc. come to the forefront - players who take the hits, hit back, and deliver the ball.
    Posted by STP43FAN[/QUOTE]

Hey, I never said that it was imo a GOOD rule, just that it Is a Rule...a major pu##y one at that.  Merri was and has been one of my more fav Pats Players (oddly enough so is James Harrison of the steel), and he (Merri) finally seemed to be coming into his own as a good & cognitive Safety, taking good angles to the play in order to deliver his big hit.  Merri has always been a good hitter (he won "biggest hitter" award at U of M for 2 straight years), but with BB moving Merri around in his dual and even tri Saffety coverages which BB wants in order to disguise standard SS and FS's normal weaknesses, which each has (SS vs pass-covering/FS vs run-support)-IT has been very tough for Merri (and should be), for him to go from bein' a big-hitter who's decent in pass-coverage, but who would much rather get his jersey dirty, TO becoming a good All-around Saffety, mainly staying cognizant and patient in deep-zone without biting on shorter wideout routes, but in staying secure and calm as that last big-play TD defender in deep-field. 

SO Honestly, I'm pretty pi$$ed that this might stunt his growth as an excellent All-encompassing Safety, Covering TEs, Playing Smash-mouth in Run, Deep-Zone AND finally makin' guys pay for it, which he always could do.  Personally, I hope Kraft pays Merri under the table for the game-check he had docked, and BB congratulates him (seriously...I was thinkin' a small, but tasteful trophy of a bronzed Pats's player knocking the sh#t outta someone in mid-air collision).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

My reasoning had little to do with the hit but more to do with the fine itself,they just arbitrerally decided to make a scapegoat out of him by hitting him with the fine reserved for a three time offender! While it was his first offense,also if they lower or drop Harrisons or Robinson's fines then Meriweather winds up holding the bag for their actions as well. It sends a bad message to the Patriots team that it's ok for other folks to hit illegally but it's not OK for the Patriots.... Sorry regardless of the hit I challenge the fine if I'm Meriweather.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: If I were Meriwerather:
    [QUOTE]No man... he literally left his feet and put his head out first with his arms by his chest.. regardless of reasoning it looks too blatant.  Everyone made the comment that his play has no room for NFL play... He did the right thing by saying sorry and moving on.  He should have said that before he said "I won't change how I play the game, point blank", but still like you said, it's now a dead issue.  He needs to be very careful from now on as he has a target on his back from the league.   
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]Exact same play was made by Eric smith and the fine was only 7,500 they are applying a double standard.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

It appears as though the NFL is going to fine based not on the hit but on the result of the hit. One thing to look for this week is offensive players staying down after a hard hit. NFL referees have shown that they can be manipulated into throwing a flag. So why not see if you can get a free 15 yards.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kickwax. Show kickwax's posts

I have to say that the argyument that Meriweather launched is BS, the play took place in mid air of course he jumped.  Heaps short armed the ball and then got mauled by Mayo (I think) which changed his direction into Meriweather.  Brandon easily gets this fine reduced if he fights it. 

I've said it before, the fault of this play lies with the offense.  Heaps was going to get lit up once they threw the ball into that coverage.  Fine the QB for being a moron and getting his own guy mugged.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

If I were Meriweather I wouldn't have to listen to my girlfriend talk about me doing situps and complain about my beer belly

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

This might well be significant a trauma to turn Merriweather in the right direction in terms of playing within the system of the Pats rather than free lancing.There could be a little good in this odious situation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

.....I would hop on my ride and pickup NeGame and cruise on down to the Keys, Games golden locks flowing along with my dreads, wind warm and the smooth roar of the King ahhhh life is good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: If I were Meriwerather:
    [QUOTE]I would just let it go and get back to playing football.  Pay the fine and move on.  Meriweather needs to focus on living up to his "potential" rather than starting a distraction about his fine.  Chung's learning curve is growing exponentially, so Meriweather better look over his shoulder.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

You mean infront of him?  They play different positions.  He only has to worry about being stupid and that's when BB puts Sanders in... no worries but like you said he should continue to listen to his coaches and be the best player he can.  Meriweather and Chung can be an absolutely formidable safety combination.  At the very least they bring the wood, and both seem to make great plays on the ball.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

Hey HRKing!   If that is NOT A DREAM.....post some pictures on the site for the rest of us!!!  EVERYONE....even the Dolt trolls....love to see GAMER in leather!

The Bliss

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to If I were Meriwerather:
    [QUOTE]I know this subject is basically closed but here's a little add on both Harrison and Dunta Robinson have contested their fines for ill-legal hits,if I were Meriweather I would do the same. My reason is pretty simple if it's good for the goose it has to be good for the gander. So if I were Meriweather I wouldn't pay a dime either, challange this fine it was his first offense and they basically docked him two game checks for one hit and a whiff... There is nothing fair in this fine and there is precedence as too how much a hit like that should be fined as Eric Smith received a 7,500 dollar fine for doing the same thing to Wes Welker in week 2.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

looked like heap was in the air and rotating before Meriweather hit him. Didn't look nearly as bad as Harrison's hits....