If Maroney hits the hole hard good things will happen!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

I judt finished watching the Dolphin game again on the NFL channel. I saw something interesting with Maroney. On one of his first runs he ran right into the back of the lineman and then went on for a nice gain. He's attacking the line of scrimmage and if he continues to do that it's going to pay dividends! I always like when a runner does not studder step but plows into the back of the Olineman. anyone remember how Corey Dillon would do that? what do you think that tell the Olineman. It say you better fire off the ball harder! I really hope Maroney has finnally figured it out. You attack the line of scrimmage. Positive yards are better than no yards and every other play a seam opens up and you get a shot at a big gain. I also think they can run well behind Volmer and Mankins.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Re: If Maroney hits the hole hard good things will happen!

The ability to "fire off" the ball is partly an issue of what the blocking scheme is. As defensive players and defensive play has evolved no longer are basic cross-block, traps and pulls employed on the X's by the O's.

Being a running back in the NFL requires more than "firing off"...although speed is a key factor for success you'll also see that many times a run develops well when blocks are set and running backs "read" the play.

All this to say yes, hit the "hole" but sometimes the "hole" develops and requires a read becasue the "hole" is not always where it was drawn on the board...the "holes" in the X's are dynamic and shifting based on the "read of the play" made by the O-Line and Defense.

This isn't football the way Mike Holovak and Vince Lombardi drew it upon the chalk boards anymore.

Furthermore, if Bill Belichick spent more energy on the running game (still the Pats are at the top of the league in rushing touchdowns) their reads might come more easily. This season, what percentage of plays are running and what percentage are passes?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

In Response to Re: If Maroney hits the hole hard good things will happen!:
    [QUOTE]You guys seem to know a lot about hitting the "hole" hard and "firing off".  You guys just get out of prison or is that just how you liberals roll up there?
    Posted by TOGAH-2009[/QUOTE]

Your mom taught us well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Maroney hits the hole hard good things will happen! : ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Education is often wasted on former students who struggle with even the basics of what social acceptability is.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

The bug deleted his own post after he got crapped on. What a puss!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Maroney hits the hole hard good things will happen! : The bug deleted his own post after he got crapped on. What a puss!
    Posted by Evil2009[/QUOTE]

Yeah, our little punk boy peon with the microbrain has been deleting a lot of his posts.  That might explain why he posts the exact same thing over and over again.  Why put any thought into a post that will be deleted in an hour?  He hit an all new low today.  On veterans day he insults the troops and even posts under a name of SoldierBoyLeon.  He wouldn't last a day in the military.  Calling himself a soldier should be a crime.  In fact, even Leon Hess would roll over in his grave if he knew someone like peon boy was posting in his likeness. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Maroney hits the hole hard good things will happen! : Yeah, our little punk boy peon with the microbrain has been deleting a lot of his posts.  That might explain why he posts the exact same thing over and over again.  Why put any thought into a post that will be deleted in an hour?  He hit an all new low today.  On veterans day he insults the troops and even posts under a name of SoldierBoyLeon.  He wouldn't last a day in the military.  Calling himself a soldier should be a crime.  In fact, even Leon Hess would roll over in his grave if he knew someone like peon boy was posting in his likeness.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

I've seen this, I was going back and forth with him on one and all of a sudden I had three posts in a row and the mods couldn't have gotten there that quick.
    I didn't read the insults, but he'll rot for impersonating military personal and insulting the people who make the greatest sacrifices.
    God bless all the vets and s crew Leon.

As for Maroney, stick with him because he's going to have a career year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Maroney is healthy, right now is the starter and have a nice O line in front of him. I hope he can play well and support the offense Vs Indy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

First lets make sure there are holes for him to hit then we can worry about him hitting them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

That's what she said! sorry i could nopt resist

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

I'll say one thing. If the running game doesn't work well enough to be a threat the Indy D has to consider then we have no play action and that doesn't give me a good feeling about winning

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to If Maroney hits the hole hard good things will happen!:
    [QUOTE]I judt finished watching the Dolphin game again on the NFL channel. I saw something interesting with Maroney. On one of his first runs he ran right into the back of the lineman and then went on for a nice gain. He's attacking the line of scrimmage and if he continues to do that it's going to pay dividends! I always like when a runner does not studder step but plows into the back of the Olineman. anyone remember how Corey Dillon would do that? what do you think that tell the Olineman. It say you better fire off the ball harder! I really hope Maroney has finnally figured it out. You attack the line of scrimmage. Positive yards are better than no yards and every other play a seam opens up and you get a shot at a big gain. I also think they can run well behind Volmer and Mankins.
    Posted by RonF[/QUOTE]

I disagree.

A quality RB should be able to recognize when the hole is not there, bounce the play outside and ad lib it. Otherwise, you're just giving up on the play. The great ones always did this. 

You'd never see emmit smith, for example, get stopped dead by running into the back of his own lineman, then get smothered by defenders for no gain or a 2 yard loss.

O Lineman shouldn't need to get hit in the butt by their own RB to remind them to fire off out of their stance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to If Maroney hits the hole hard good things will happen!:
    [QUOTE]That's what she said! sorry i could nopt resist
    Posted by gmbill[/QUOTE]

damn you beat me to it

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

I think the better statement to make would have been when teh O line opens a hole for Maroney he hits it and we play better. Maroney would hit the hole on every play if it was there on every play but its not. Our Oline is great at pass blocking and bad at run blocking.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]I think the better statement to make would have been when teh O line opens a hole for Maroney he hits it and we play better. Maroney would hit the hole on every play if it was there on every play but its not. Our Oline is great at pass blocking and bad at run blocking.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

Yeah but uncle grunt has a point. The hole isn't always going to be there and adjusting is one of the things that seperates the good RBs from the greats

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Ok so that would make him a good running back and not a great running back but either way he is not the $hitty running some people want to say he is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]Ok so that would make him a good running back and not a great running back but either way he is not the $hitty running some people want to say he is.

He could be great if he stays healthy and gets his head straight. And as I keep saying we need it to get the play action going. Play action is huge in the red zone from the 5 to the 20 and on 3rd and fives.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dshort3333. Show dshort3333's posts

[QUOTE]Ok so that would make him a good running back and not a great running back but either way he is not the $hitty running some people want to say he is.
    I agree with you MVP he is a good back and sometimes there is just nowhere to go because our pass protect first offensive line doesnt do a good job run blocking sometimes. Other times Maroney is too fast to the hole and needs to delay a step, either way it is getting better. I would like to see him run behind a lead blocker more and get outside to the perimeter where his speed could really kill a defense. Time will tell but I think he wants to be great and he looks like he could be.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Maroney hits the hole hard good things will happen! : Yeah, our little punk boy peon with the microbrain has been deleting a lot of his posts.  That might explain why he posts the exact same thing over and over again.  Why put any thought into a post that will be deleted in an hour?  He hit an all new low today.  On veterans day he insults the troops and even posts under a name of SoldierBoyLeon.  He wouldn't last a day in the military.  Calling himself a soldier should be a crime.  In fact, even Leon Hess would roll over in his grave if he knew someone like peon boy was posting in his likeness. 
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]
    There is a special place for scum  b ags like leon.

Go Pats!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to If Maroney hits the hole hard good things will happen! : I disagree. A quality RB should be able to recognize when the hole is not there, bounce the play outside and ad lib it. Otherwise, you're just giving up on the play. The great ones always did this.  You'd never see emmit smith, for example, get stopped dead by running into the back of his own lineman, then get smothered by defenders for no gain or a 2 yard loss. O Lineman shouldn't need to get hit in the butt by their own RB to remind them to fire off out of their stance.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

Sometime ago I posted something in regards to Maroney where I made reference to Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas and other great backs.  Even though I never directly compared Sanders to Maroney you lambasted me for having the temerity to even mention Barry's name when refering to Maroney.

Emmit Smith ran behind the best offensive line the NFL has ever seen, they had a gargantuan, athletic O line made up of All Pros that were substantially larger and better than any line the league had ever seen before.  Not to knock our O line but to compare them to Larry Allen, Erik Williams, Mark Stepnoski, Nate Newton and Mark Tuinei is downright hypocritical of you...