If They Don't Keep 5 RBs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Re: If They Don't Keep 5 RBs

In response to russgriswold's comment:

I'd rather keep the 5 (stash Develin on the PS), but if they don't and maybe go 4 RBs w/Develin as the FB for 5, I'd rather Leon Washington go at this point over Bolden or Blount.

Washington has shown nothing in the first 2 preseason games and I noticed Boyce looked better in the role anyway.

I don't think he cost that much to begin with, so it wouldn't be a major cap factor.

If this team is going to run more than they have in the past, which it appears they will, let's keep a FB for once and keep the right, more power based runners on the roster.  Not saying Blount is, but Bolden is as would Develin.

I agree.  Leon Washington is on the wrong side of 30 and he did have a horrific leg injury a few years ago.  If this was Leon Washington from 5 years ago, I'd say keep him.  But Blount has proven he should stick around and Bolden is still a solid back and special teamer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I agree. Made this case in another earlier thread. A dedicated KR is a nice luxury, but not if the improvement over his replacement isn't all that much, and I'm not convinced it is, and not if it means a potentially more useful player has to get cut.

Washington had 27 returns last year and as far as I can tell, three that were past midfield (one TD). And last year was his career high in terms of average per return.

Now, that was two more such returns than the Pats had, and it is very good as far as kickoff returners go. But I just don't see the return (so to speak) on investment. The investment being his salary cap number and the other player that gets cut.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Cut Bolden, Tebow,  T. Wilson, Fells, resign Tebow, Bequette, Cunningham, cut Tebow again to show him that he's so bad that you want to cut him twice, Gregory,  Devlin since Hoo-Man can catch and try to get Arthur Jones.

Zach "Don't call me 'Suddsy'" Sudfeld

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

disagree on Washington, I think he runs remarkably well for his age - I think he's got something left.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Cut Bolden, Tebow,  T. Wilson, Fells, resign Tebow, Bequette, Cunningham, cut Tebow again to show him that he's so bad that you want to cut him twice, Gregory,  Devlin since Hoo-Man can catch and try to get Arthur Jones.

Zach "Don't call me 'Suddsy'" Sudfeld

Cut Tebow twice...LMFAO...I like your style man!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

disagree on Washington, I think he runs remarkably well for his age - I think he's got something left.

Yeah, I think Washington is well worth a spot, too. I know he hasn't shown much in the preseason, but I bet all BB wants the vets to do in the preseason games is to not get hurt. I think Leon can still run well and be a top 10 KR in the nfl this year. So much of returning kicks is having a knack for finding a crease and using blocks, etc. His experience will help him a lot. I'd be really surprised to see him get cut. Plus, as Rusty mentioned, I bet Delvin would clear waivers to the practice squad if they really want to keep him around.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Bolden is the second best receiver out of the backfield and a decent running back. I was expecting to see more of Washington in the Vareen role in preseason games but for some reason he hasn't been used much. So ... Pat's already have four special teams only players since Slater is a WR in name only and I just think you really squeeze your roster if you have 5 players that are only special teams.

Muzwell - interesting stats - unless you have a really really dangerous returner (and team) the benefits of one guy over another are not that great and I haven't seen anything so far that indicates Washington is in the dangerous category. Blount had one really impressive game against a dreadful run defense - he looked Ok in the second game, but I am not completely sold on him - but I prefer him to Washington.

I think Hooman and Devlin are fighting for one spot - one is a better receiver the other a better short yardage back and both are OK as lead blockers.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

AGREE . . .  Been at their practices and Washington was the most impressive with his all-out effort on special teams . . . there is no way I'd cut this guy he has 2-3 years left on those legs, he is the best kick-off returner and he is the best back-up to Vereen.  If they only keep 4 then Bolden or Blount goes and it will come down to who can help them the most on special teams.  Winn and Devilin should get on the PS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSalmon. Show TheSalmon's posts

5 RBs

2 QBs

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

You don't cut Washington unless you know Boyce is an amazing return guy, Washington is one of the league's best at kick return and has always been a good back, specifically a third down back.  Unless you think Vereen's already proven that he's an iron man (clue; he hasn't) then you might need another third down back behind him.

Ridley and Bolden are very much the same player, Bolden has been a very willing special teams player, Blount is the X factor because maybe they just want a big bruising back... lord knows I have.

They'll keep 5 RB's because we'll take Gronk out for the first 6 games and we'll only carry 2 QB's.  

Or what he said^

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I think they keep 5 RBS.  I have been impressed with Blount but he can't catch out of the backfield and I'm not sure he is a good blocker.  On 3rd and 1 I think I would take Vereem over Blount.  Probably goes without saying that I'd also rather see Ridley or Bolden get it over Blount.  BTW,

They just might keep 5 RB's if the keep Gronk off the PUP and keep Ballard, Sudfeld and Fells.

I'm thinking this...

QB = 3, Brady, Mallet, Tebow

RB = 5, Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Blount, Washington

WR = 6, Amendola, Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce, Edelman, Slater

TE = Gronk, Sudfeld, Ballard, Fells

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I think they keep 5 RBS.  I have been impressed with Blount but he can't catch out of the backfield and I'm not sure he is a good blocker.  On 3rd and 1 I think I would take Vereem over Blount.  Probably goes without saying that I'd also rather see Ridley or Bolden get it over Blount.  BTW,

They just might keep 5 RB's if the keep Gronk off the PUP and keep Ballard, Sudfeld and Fells.

I'm thinking this...

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

No way . . . that is 18 positions . . . you'd think they go 25 offense and 25 defense (especially with the CB issues they have) and 3 special (punt, FG, and long snapper) . . . so using 18 leaves just 7 guys for the OL where they have been having problems keeping guys healthy and/or cutting into the defenses 25 positions . . . not going to happen!  One less tight-end or one less running back for starters and no Tebow . . . that gives them two more positions on the offense at least one being in the OL (and maybe two)  and the other might be who can play the TE/HB/FB position (think Tebow has been secretly practicing this in the tent?).  They'll pick up a QB for the practice squad once other teams make cuts  .  .  .  with the requirement he is a fast learner and can be used as a running QB in practice to get ready for all those they will face this season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I like Washington, and unless Boyce is a sure thing returning kicks then they should keep LW.  The Pats were terrible on KR last year, and LW can make a very formidable offense much better with his ability to get them more consistent field position.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats at least open the year with LW on the roster to see what he has left. 

I hope they can keep 5 RBs.  Blount and Bolden both bring something to the table so if one had to go it would be a difficult choice.  I hear what others are saying about keeping a FB over a TE like Hooman. I'd love to see them hammer the ball down the field and having a pure FB on the roster could help there.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'm thinking this...

Minus Tebow, I agree.  Every time I see his name come up in a roster projection I just cringe.  It would be such a waste of a spot and could prevent Fells, Hooman, Bolden, Delvin, etc from making the team.  Hope BB doesn't over-think this one.  He is terrible and it has been on display all preseason. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm thinking this...

No way . . . that is 18 positions . . . you'd think they go 25 offense and 25 defense (especially with the CB issues they have) and 3 special (punt, FG, and long snapper) . . . so using 18 leaves just 7 guys for the OL where they have been having problems keeping guys healthy and/or cutting into the defenses 25 positions . . . not going to happen!  One less tight-end or one less running back for starters and no Tebow . . . that gives them two more positions on the offense at least one being in the OL (and maybe two)  and the other might be who can play the TE/HB/FB position (think Tebow has been secretly practicing this in the tent?).  They'll pick up a QB for the practice squad once other teams make cuts  .  .  .  with the requirement he is a fast learner and can be used as a running QB in practice to get ready for all those they will face this season.

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, but when I was going through the roster I just can't seem to go any other way with this.  I might be wrong (probably) but who knows.  That's how I see it right now.  I have my full 53 in the 53 man roster thread.  It's going to be a tough list to make.  Will be very, very interested and excited when the real one comes out.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Does Bustchise only respond to bait Russ?  I have yet to see a comment posted by him that doesn't.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

You do seem to only respond to his comments.  It didn't even take 2 seconds for you to respond to him on the Incognito thread he started.  It's a lot more noticeable than anytime you're not directly responding to one of his comments.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I see a lot of folks saying Leon doesnt have it anymore. I saw him first hand and he still has every bit of speed so how about MAYBE, our blocking S*cks and it doesnt matter who they put back there outside of Devin Hester. Our special teams have been nothing special for a while. They got Devin to bring one back and the rest of the year he never got past the 20. Devin has blazing straight line speed. Bethel Johnson also only has straight line speed but in 2003 we had awesome special teams. Coaching is the problem and not having any dedicated special team specific players outside of Slater. Washington should stick because he will eventually break one despite poor blocking and he is the only guy that can backup Vareen. We have Blount and Ridley. We need someone for Vareen or we cant pass out the backfield if he gets hurt

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

25. This post has been removed.