If we had picked..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

If we had picked..

An OLB with our one of our first four picks would you ALL give this draft an A+

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Re: If we had picked..

Most pundits would be give the draft a better grade, yes.

But at the end of the year, the same pundits would likely give a lower grade.

This is because the vast majority of pass rushers contribute nil the first year, and most rarely live up to the hype.

That's just the way it is. I wish it were different.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

If Sheard or Reed were there men then they would have taken them @ 33? correct?

If houston was there man they had the power to stay @ 60...

Something is in the works imo.

Hoyer bait this year and next, Mallett bait NOW potentially, Mankins etc.

Maybe they plan on shipping Mankins and a 3rd to KC for Tamba Hali???

Seeing how they got Justin Houston and Allen Bailey I suspect that may be the case.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

BB picked Markell Carter,OLB, from Central Arkansas, in the sixth round.Are you laughing? I wouldn't. BB, his war room and the scouting department don't throw away picks. The kid is an athlete and he is in the mix. Good chance he does as well or better than the third round OLB, Betty Gable Crable, we drafted a few years ago. C'mon, Markell,give it all you got.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: If we had picked..:
    [QUOTE]BB picked Markell Carter,OLB, from Central Arkansas, in the sixth round.Are you laughing? I wouldn't. BB, his war room and the scouting department don't throw away picks. The kid is an athlete and he is in the mix. Good chance he does as well or better than the third round OLB, Betty Gable Crable, we drafted a few years ago. C'mon, Markell,give it all you got.....
    Posted by mountainmonkey[/QUOTE]

You contend that they don't throw away picks, while basically saying that Crable was a throw away pick. 

That doesn't seem illogical to you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

The draft is done. Time to move on - I think Patriots did a great job. I don't care what anyone says BB and his people know what they are doing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I'm happy with the way they drafted as it is!

If the Pats picked a guy that was supposed to be a sure thing pass rushing OLB and he flops (according to the numbers this is the most likely scenario) and gets cut after three years. Would you feel better about this draft?

BB and his scouting department know a hell of a lot more about the guys they didn't draft than any of us and on top of that they are a heck of a lot more expert than the draft pundits. So are you going to believe, Joe Anyguy, TV guy/accountant/fireman/cook/etc. knows more about players than the people that get paid to know? If so I have this bridge that I'd like to sell you .....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If we had picked.. : You contend that they don't throw away picks, while basically saying that Crable was a throw away pick.  That doesn't seem illogical to you?
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]C'mon Z..... reread.....where do I say that Crable was a throw away pick.....
    he was a very valuable third round pick with high expectations that could never get healthy and was not impressive when he was..he was an unfortunate failure.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

The Pats throw away picks left and right. It's actually pretty easy to do when your consistenly picking 9-12 kids per year. You expect to hit on some, not others, and take some risks as they did with Mckenzie, Tate, Butler, etc.etc.

Have you noticed lately how many injured players the Pats take? I guess they feel it's good value to draft a WR in round 2-4 who just blew out his ACL and missed some of his senior season because "there is value there".

I'm not suggesting I'm against BB's draft philosophy, but what I do think is that BB and his crew do a so-so job of evaluating talent. It's amazing the teams like Pitt, Baltimore,Green Bay, etc. continue to draft good LB's to play in their 3-4's and we pass on similar players because of value? What about taking Vereen or Ridley where we did? You think this is value or a reach?...

In all honesty we have got some great players as of late in the draft, but we have also drafted some that don't make any sense for where we got them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Let me clarify...some posters have insinuated that the war room does not value lower round picks and does not expect them to make the team, so they don't focus hard on that choice..if that was so, then it could be considered a throw away pick. I don't believe there is such a thing as a throw away pick....only players that do not meet expectations regardless of where they were picked..then they are cut or released.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If we had picked.. : C'mon Z..... reread.....where do I say that Crable was a throw away pick..... he was a very valuable third round pick with high expectations that could never get healthy and was not impressive when he was..he was an unfortunate failure.....

Don't you think there is a big chance a podunk school kid like Carter could be even less impressive?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If we had picked.. : Don't you think there is a big chance a podunk school kid like Carter could be even less impressive?
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]Sure..a good chance...but we absolutely know what Crable did with his chance, and wouldn't it be great if this kid became a contributor...they picked him and I'm rootin' for him....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If we had picked.. : Sure..a good chance...but we absolutely know what Crable did with his chance, and wouldn't it be great if this kid became a contributor...they picked him and I'm rootin' for him....

Why is this about Crable though? Markell Carter should be rated against who NE could have had earlier in this draft right?

It would be great if everyone became a contributor, I'm rooting for everyone.

Was there no one in the draft that you thought was a better prospect at OLB than Markell Carter?

*for the record I am fine with this draft

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMick. Show LilMick's posts

I used to buy those $19.99 sneakers because they were a "good value". They fit OK and got the job done, but my feet would would hurt if I really exerted myself and I would have to buy an additional pair sooner than I thought I should have to. Recently, I got smarter, I think, and bought good shoes. Obviously they were more expensive but I have a had them a really long time and my feet don't hurt and my performance has improved. Well, Bill Belichick is in the habit of buying cheap shoes. He could have had Mark Ingram, but now he has one pair of LA Gear sneakers and another pair of Spalding sneakers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If we had picked.. : Why is this about Crable though? Markell Carter should be rated against who NE could have had earlier in this draft right? It would be great if everyone became a contributor, I'm rooting for everyone. Was there no one in the draft that you thought was a better prospect at OLB than Markell Carter? *for the record I am fine with this draft
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]Yes, there were better prospects, but the NFL team of the decade had higher priorities and they must think that the talent is already there to fix the rush and I'm not telling Intel how to build a better microprocessor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonbam. Show jonbam's posts

Lifer,

The Steelers, Ravens and Packers really know how to draft LBs.

Pitt - James Harrison - UNDRAFTED FA
    Raven - Ray Lewis - 1996 draft; players like AD and Scott have been JAGs since leaving Ray Lewis' protection.
    Packers - AJ Hawk - 5th pick in first round of 2006 draft; career sacks 8.5

I have to give the Packers a lot of credit for drafting Clay Matthews III
       - 160 pounds in HS
       - was not a starting LB at the start of his senior year at USC
       - was considered the #3 LB at USC
       - senior year stats: 56 tackles; 4.5 sacks
       - but you could consider him a 4 down player since he was an excellent ST player

Bottom line is that all teams have problems identifying 3-4 OLBs that can get to the QB.  In the last 7 years there have only been 7 players that had 5+ sacks in their rookie year.  If my math is correct that means that out of 32 teams they have been able to find 1 OLB per year that can come in and average over 1 sack every three games as a rookie.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]The Pats throw away picks left and right. It's actually pretty easy to do when your consistenly picking 9-12 kids per year. You expect to hit on some, not others, and take some risks as they did with Mckenzie, Tate, Butler, etc.etc. Have you noticed lately how many injured players the Pats take? I guess they feel it's good value to draft a WR in round 2-4 who just blew out his ACL and missed some of his senior season because "there is value there". I'm not suggesting I'm against BB's draft philosophy, but what I do think is that BB and his crew do a so-so job of evaluating talent. It's amazing the teams like Pitt, Baltimore,Green Bay, etc. continue to draft good LB's to play in their 3-4's and we pass on similar players because of value? What about taking Vereen or Ridley where we did? You think this is value or a reach?... In all honesty we have got some great players as of late in the draft, but we have also drafted some that don't make any sense for where we got them.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

What do Pitt, Baltimore, and Green Bay all have in common?  The Patriots beat them all last year.  Moreover, NE owns Baltimore and Pittsburgh.  So who has the superior draft philosophy? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

" I used to buy those $19.99 sneakers because they were a "good value". They fit OK and got the job done, but my feet would would hurt if I really exerted myself and I would have to buy an additional pair sooner than I thought I should have to. Recently, I got smarter, I think, and bought good shoes. Obviously they were more expensive but I have a had them a really long time and my feet don't hurt and my performance has improved. Well, Bill Belichick is in the habit of buying cheap shoes. He could have had Mark Ingram, but now he has one pair of LA Gear sneakers and another pair of Spalding sneakers. "

Priceless post LilMick .

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nishan6t4. Show nishan6t4's posts

Remeber the 2008 draft according to all the so called experts and people in this forum BB shud have picked Vernon Gholston!!! instead we picked JM!! how does the pick look now???

Bottom line- The man knows what he is doing!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pochen23. Show pochen23's posts

You do understand they are all made by the same sweatshop somewhere in China right? It is the brand name you are buying, not the material or technology. If you think all the late round picks are sure fire throw away picks that have no chance of turning into gold like your 20 dollars sneakers, ask Tom Brady.... The draft is an inexact science, if a player has good value, like Ras-I Dowling who would have been a sure fire early first round pick if he had come out last year, and his value gets hurt due to injury in senior year, why not? Isn't that how you are supposed to draft? That way you can potentially get a value that is greater than your pick instead of getting a lesser talent who participated fully in senior year.

It is obvious that the more talented a player is, the less chance that a whole bunch of teams pass on him over and over again, but there is greater chance of that happening when a player with great physical tool but didn't showcase it during college due to injury or other stuff. If I am taking a flyer in the late round, I rather take someone like that cuz he might be overlooked and not carefully scouted.

Alot of things going on in draft that we don't know. Everyone knows the Pats need passrush, my 3 years old daughter knows the Pats need passrush, and you don't think BB knows that? or perhaps he doesn't think so, and whose view would you trust?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]BB picked Markell Carter,OLB, from Central Arkansas, in the sixth round.Are you laughing? I wouldn't. BB, his war room and the scouting department don't throw away picks. The kid is an athlete and he is in the mix. Good chance he does as well or better than the third round OLB, Betty Gable Crable, we drafted a few years ago. C'mon, Markell,give it all you got.....

We have had our difference monkey, but this guy is 6'4, 256, and runs a 4.6 forty.  I almost shat myself when i saw those credentials.  Even just for third down's, this guy needs to be implemented immediately into sub packages to just rush the QB

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Lifer, The Steelers, Ravens and Packers really know how to draft LBs. Pitt - James Harrison - UNDRAFTED FA Raven - Ray Lewis - 1996 draft; players like AD and Scott have been JAGs since leaving Ray Lewis' protection. Packers - AJ Hawk - 5th pick in first round of 2006 draft; career sacks 8.5 I have to give the Packers a lot of credit for drafting Clay Matthews III    - 160 pounds in HS    - was not a starting LB at the start of his senior year at USC    - was considered the #3 LB at USC    - senior year stats: 56 tackles; 4.5 sacks    - but you could consider him a 4 down player since he was an excellent ST player Bottom line is that all teams have problems identifying 3-4 OLBs that can get to the QB.  In the last 7 years there have only been 7 players that had 5+ sacks in their rookie year.  If my math is correct that means that out of 32 teams they have been able to find 1 OLB per year that can come in and average over 1 sack every three games as a rookie.
    Posted by jonbam[/QUOTE]

Steriods are amazing aren't they, jk.  Dudes a stud.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilMick. Show LilMick's posts

BB said in a draft press conference, "When there is a run on a certain position it increases the value of other positions". Well, if I do not need tomatoes, but they are a good buy because the market is flooded with them and I come home and tell my wife I didn't get mushrooms because I got a better buy on tomatoes my butt is going back to the store to get mushrooms or I play the jets in the play-offs and suffer a demoralizing loss!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

In Response to If we had picked..:
    [QUOTE]An OLB with our one of our first four picks would you ALL give this draft an A+
    Posted by tagandtrade[/QUOTE]

My answer would be yes, if we could have swapped one of the RB's. 

However,  I think the draft will be viewed as very successful regardless.  The fact that New England has two 1st rnd picks and two 2nd round picks again next year allows them to go after a restricted free agent, or franchise tag player, if they want to bring in a veteran, which I think is a more pressing need on defense.  They need more leadership on that side of the ball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Remeber the 2008 draft according to all the so called experts and people in this forum BB shud have picked Vernon Gholston!!! instead we picked JM!! how does the pick look now??? Bottom line- The man knows what he is doing!!!
    Posted by nishan6t4[/QUOTE]

Would it be considered irony that you chose 2008 a year which many thought was one of BB's worst draft?

And would it be further irony that he also took a CB in the 2nd and a QB in the 3rd that year