I'm not watching football anymore due to officiating

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from reniam. Show reniam's posts

I'm not watching football anymore due to officiating

I think fans should start demanding officiating be fixed.

I'm in my 40's and have been watching casually for over 30 years. Granted I am not a fanatic but, have generally enjoyed watching football. Most likely, I represent a fairly large percentage of the viewing audience. I think the officiating is taking the pleasure out of watching. In the last 5 years especially, officials can make questionable judgment calls like 45-yard pass interferences or "bobbling" (that I've never seen called like that) that moves the ball back 2 yards, or a hand touching the QB helmet for 15 - For me, it is ruining the game.

The problem I have is how simple it is to fix. Put a "replay official" up in a booth watching feeds. Have him watch the game deciding plays or calls and radio down the correct call. This could be done with no time lost. I don't really care if the field officials wouldn't like it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox148927. Show sox148927's posts

Re: I'm not watching football anymore due to officiating

i dont agree with a few of the calls either, but blaming the officials is not my style...good calls and bad calls go both ways every single week, and we have been on the positive side of them at times too...gotta take the good with the bad, my frustration is very simple...the pats had opportunities and choked them away, we cant blame anyone other than ourselves...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking99. Show Harleyroadking99's posts

Putting an official in charge of correcting the field officials is like having a fox overseeing all the foxes in the henhouse. Bad analogy but you get my meaning.

I've been following football for 30 years and ref complaining has been there through out. Remember Ben Drieth? ( he made the bogus roughing the passer call against the Pats in the Raider game backin '78) 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

amazing how the overhyped rivalry of decade....ended so dramatically......scripted???......hmmm

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

the officials didnt go for it  4th and 2 LATE in the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reniam. Show reniam's posts

sox148927,
    I'm not blaming officials either. They're human. I just see a failry easy fix using modern technology. The Patriots have certainly had their share of calls. I think it would be better for the game if it was decided by the players.

Harleyroadking99,
    True there have always been bad calls. Difference is there are too many subjective judgement calls for big yardage now. 45-yard pass interference's weren't part of the game not that long ago. Bodden jumping up for the ball, the ball bouncing off the recievers hands, 40+ yard penelty is bogus. Ruins the game for me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Bad officiating is always going to be a part of the game. The questionable calls that went against us did not cost us the game. If we had put the game out of reach, we wouldn't need these calls to go the other way. Poor decisions by referees are just something else that happens during a game that must be overcome. We played against a brilliant quarterback today. HE is what we needed to overcome, not the officiating.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from reniam. Show reniam's posts

IndianaPatsFan says:

"The questionable calls that went against us did not cost us the game."

How do you know this? Personally, I don't think Faulk bobbled the ball and should have gotten the first down. Replays showed this. Maybe they would have lost anyway. Who knows.

All I'm saying is that an official should be up in a booth to review this call and radio it down. It's a simple fix. Now that the officials are being asked to make so many judgement calls,  the fans should demand the NFL address the problem.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from John413. Show John413's posts

I think the refs call things as fairly as they can, but I agree with you that the rules of football have gotten so bizarre that I have no idea anymore what is and what is not a penalty.

The "leading with the helmet", "horse collar tackle", in particular, are called so randomly that no one knows the rule.

I think the NFL is over-reacting to players getting hurt, so they write 10 new rules every year to try to stop defenders from hitting people.  All this does is create confusion among coaches, players, and fans. 

When you have 300 pound freaks of nature colliding at top speed, people are going to get hurt.  It's part of the game. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

In Response to Re: I'm not watching football anymore due to officiating:
    [QUOTE]i dont agree with a few of the calls either, but blaming the officials is not my style...good calls and bad calls go both ways every single week, and we have been on the positive side of them at times too...gotta take the good with the bad, my frustration is very simple...the pats had opportunities and choked them away, we cant blame anyone other than ourselves...
    Posted by sox148927[/QUOTE]

BINGO.  I'm not blaming the officials for this one.  The Patriots had this one won until they spit the bit...chocked in the 4th quarter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

pass interference needs to be overhauled in general. The Colts basically live off gifted 40 yard pass interference penalties every game which are non-reviewable.

Someone told me once that you can't fix a football game because of all the moving parts involved. I saw giving a team a nonreviewable 40 yard play for free is a pretty surefire way to fix something. Add in that it's often called on uncatchable balls and it really starts lacking any commen sense.

How bout this example ... ball is thrown and 50 yards downfield the wide receiver obstructs the db from intercepting it.  The WR is called for offensive pass interference and the offensive team repeats the down with a 10 yard penalty.  If instead the defender is whistled for the pass interference, then the offensive team gets the ball 50 yards downfield repeating the down. How does that make sense ? I'd argue that 10 yards or 5 yards and automatic first down are similar penalties, but how is 10 yards versus 50 yards ?

I think of all penalties pass interference at least SHOULD be reviewable.  How can you allow someone to challenge even a spot that might net half a yard but not challenge a 50 yard pass interference call ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from reniam. Show reniam's posts

gfkr2,

I'm not blaming officials either - read the post. I'm blaming the officiating system.

Calls that are not black and white are judgement calls by the officials and it makes the game inconsistant. It is an old but, growing problem because of rule changes and should be fixed by the NFL so games are clearly won by the players. It would be an easy fix.

As a casual viewer I can tell you it has affected the game. Several others feel the same way. I've noticed I watch less and less the past few years due to my observation games are won or lost on weird calls.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Ive always said the TWO things that ruin NFL football, are 1. Pass interference, and 2. overtime where the coin toss determines the game....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]pass interference needs to be overhauled in general. The Colts basically live off gifted 40 yard pass interference penalties every game which are non-reviewable. Someone told me once that you can't fix a football game because of all the moving parts involved. I saw giving a team a nonreviewable 40 yard play for free is a pretty surefire way to fix something. Add in that it's often called on uncatchable balls and it really starts lacking any commen sense. How bout this example ... ball is thrown and 50 yards downfield the wide receiver obstructs the db from intercepting it.  The WR is called for offensive pass interference and the offensive team repeats the down with a 10 yard penalty.  If instead the defender is whistled for the pass interference, then the offensive team gets the ball 50 yards downfield repeating the down. How does that make sense ? I'd argue that 10 yards or 5 yards and automatic first down are similar penalties, but how is 10 yards versus 50 yards ? I think of all penalties pass interference at least SHOULD be reviewable.  How can you allow someone to challenge even a spot that might net half a yard but not challenge a 50 yard pass interference call ?
    Posted by Stupideeediot[/QUOTE]
    I agree, cannot understand why PI is not reviewable.  To me it's absolutely crazy that an NFL game is basically officiated the same way as a high school game.  There are more players, huge coaching staffs and millions of dollars on the field.  There is no reason why they couldn't double or triple the amount of officials and review the calls in the booth at game speed.  I'm sure lots people disagree with me, but I think with technology today it is possible to never miss a call and to keep the same pace we have now. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

[QUOTE]pass interference needs to be overhauled in general. The Colts basically live off gifted 40 yard pass interference penalties every game which are non-reviewable. Someone told me once that you can't fix a football game because of all the moving parts involved. I saw giving a team a nonreviewable 40 yard play for free is a pretty surefire way to fix something. Add in that it's often called on uncatchable balls and it really starts lacking any commen sense. How bout this example ... ball is thrown and 50 yards downfield the wide receiver obstructs the db from intercepting it.  The WR is called for offensive pass interference and the offensive team repeats the down with a 10 yard penalty.  If instead the defender is whistled for the pass interference, then the offensive team gets the ball 50 yards downfield repeating the down. How does that make sense ? I'd argue that 10 yards or 5 yards and automatic first down are similar penalties, but how is 10 yards versus 50 yards ? I think of all penalties pass interference at least SHOULD be reviewable.  How can you allow someone to challenge even a spot that might net half a yard but not challenge a 50 yard pass interference call ?
    Posted by Stupideeediot[/QUOTE]

the simple solution is to go college.... PI should be limited to 15 yards....

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from reniam. Show reniam's posts

[QUOTE]...I think with technology today it is possible to never miss a call and to keep the same pace we have now. 
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Or faster. I find it ridiculous that the referee runs off the field to look into a camera behind a curtain. That could be done by a official in a booth at near real time and radioed down to the field.

Officating is a problem today because of all the judgement calls that have been added in to the game. Too often it determines the outcome. Fans should demand it be fixed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'm not watching anymore NFL either. From here on out it's radio only. That way I can't see when we get $crewed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from voigt. Show voigt's posts

[QUOTE]IndianaPatsFan says: "The questionable calls that went against us did not cost us the game." How do you know this? Personally, I don't think Faulk bobbled the ball and should have gotten the first down. Replays showed this. Maybe they would have lost anyway. Who knows. All I'm saying is that an official should be up in a booth to review this call and radio it down. It's a simple fix. Now that the officials are being asked to make so many judgement calls,  the fans should demand the NFL address the problem.
    Posted by reniam[/QUOTE]

there's no question that he did NOT have a grip on the ball - the announcers played it back over and over showing him bobble it - these same announcers had been singing the pats praises all night - the spot was right. 

and besides - the colts had to score 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter to beat the pats - not one, you can thank the pats defense for giving up 21 points in like 8 minutes

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from reniam. Show reniam's posts

[QUOTE]there's no question that he did NOT have a grip on the ball - the announcers played it back over and over showing him bobble it - these same announcers had been singing the pats praises all night - the spot was right.
    Posted by voigt[/QUOTE]

I disagree and think it should have been reviewed in a booth. I think that pass interference should have been looked at. I'm not making excuses for the Patriots. They have certainly had their share of calls. I'm saying there is a problem with the officiating in the NFL due to too many judgement calls. It should be fixed because there are many people out there that think the game is getting so inconsistant that it is becoming hard to watch.