i'm sure this will be an unpopular thought... please read and respond (appropriately)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i'm sure this will be an unpopular thought... please read and respond (appropriately)

i know that i posted a tebow thread that i meant not a word of, but this is my real honest opinion (or at least a real honest thought that has been nagging at me for a while).  i'm hoping that we can all be mature adults while posting on this thread and not stoop so low as to call me a "debbie downer" or question my fandom.

with tom brady entering the last year of his contract i really think we should shop him around and get as much for him as possible.  he has been an unbelievable talent for this team, and this move wouldnt help now, but with the possibility of no football in 2011, i think it makes sense.  draft a project kind of QB (i.e. John Skelton) and let him and hoyer compete for TB12's job.

This move obviously wouldnt help us RIGHT NOW. but we could get some serious future draft ammo, and by the time the 2012 season rolls around Hoyer or quarterback X could be a legitimate starting QB.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

Re: i'm sure this will be an unpopular thought... please read and respond (appropriately)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/john-skelton?id=497129

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: i'm sure this will be an unpopular thought... please read and respond (appropriately)

I do not agree with your view point....Trading Brady to get draft picks in return to draft a QB is too risky!  The Patriots do not need a Rick Mirer, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, David Carr, Jamarcus Russell   etc.... etc 

I would rather have a future Patriots QB learning from TB!

It will never happen....I guess you can dream about it

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nellie2355. Show nellie2355's posts

WOW YOU ARE TRYING TO MAKE US REALLY STINK FOR LIKE THE NEXT DECADE AND WHERE YOU A PATS FAN BEFORE THE KRAFT FAMILY BOUGHT THE TEAM

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: i'm sure this will be an unpopular thought... please read and respond (appropriately):
    I do not agree with your view point....Trading Brady to get draft picks in return to draft a QB is too risky!  The Patriots do not need a Rick Mirer, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, David Carr, Jamarcus Russell   etc.... etc  I would rather have a future Patriots QB learning from TB! It will never happen....I guess you can dream about it
    Posted by Rocky

I second that. It would be better for a player with potential to learn under one of the best QBs ever than to come in and expect to lead a team where the fan base expects playoffs every year. Like Rocky mentioned, the QB chosen could always be a bust and then you're a team looking for a franchise QB.

I hope this never happens and I want Brady to play for the Pats his entire career and retire as a Pat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

nellie,
    i've been a fan all of my life. dont question that.

hobo,
    is it my fault that a majority of patriots fans are spoiled? it is unrealistic to EXPECT the superbowl every year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: i'm sure this will be an unpopular thought... please read and respond (appropriately):
    nellie, i've been a fan all of my life. dont question that. hobo, is it my fault that a majority of patriots fans are spoiled? it is unrealistic to EXPECT the superbowl every year.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

Is it also unrealistic to expect another 4-5 years from Brady? I hear what you are saying but I feel Brady will be still a top 3 QB for the next 5 years or, so what's the rush to dump him for picks? Franchises are built around their QB and this team is no different, the offense and bend and don't break defense runs under the assumption that Brady will make the players around him better and when push comes to shove he can game management and keep the other teams O off the field helping the D. Asking another QB to come off the draft and fill that role is asking us to fall into where the Rams are now, competely rebuilding the whole organization from scratch. No, the best idea is draft a kid to eventually take over the role and have him adapt to the system and learn from Brady. That way the switch will be a bit smoother and give the team time to draft towards the new QB's strengths.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to i'm sure this will be an unpopular thought... please read and respond (appropriately):
    with tom brady entering the last year of his contract i really think we should shop him around and get as much for him as possible.  he has been an unbelievable talent for this team, and this move wouldnt help now, but with the possibility of no football in 2011, i think it makes sense.Posted by FOWLER8196

LOL, what?  shop the patriots best player in it's history. the player that led them to for super bowls in 7 years.

you think the Broncos ever thought to shop John Elway?

i think when BB decides its time to start grooming a successor to TB it won't be a late round pick. there are guys out there in the earlier rounds that come come in and start, i.e.  MATT RYAN.

don't be surprised when he becomes a FA he doesn't end up in NE.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Yes , you do need to be punched in the face.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Yes , you do need to be punched in the face.
    Posted by NEGAME

One of the best lines of the night NEGAME!!!!Surprised

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

I've watched enough football over the past 30 years to know that a franchise caliber QB like TB does not come around often, if ever for some franchises, and you don't trade a few untested picks for a proven winner (unless Steve Young is his back up)...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Silly

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

it is unrealistic to EXPECT the superbowl every year.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

Save that for Yankee and Laker fans...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

qb is the least replaceable of positions. when you get a good one, you hold onto it for a long long time, even if risking going far beyond his peak.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

OK, I will take this at face value as an intellectual thought brought up for discussion.
    My issue is this and I think if you canvas the other 31 NFL teams with the exception of 3 maybe 4 who have guys like Peyton and Brees etc. that they would not dream of moving Brady if they had him.

Here is why... at his age he has had just one injury of consequence and he lost a year which technically could add another year to his longevity and the injury doesn't effect his strengths of accuracy and football savy/knowledge. He is in his peak production years for the next 3-4 years before you see a tendency for elite QB's to start tailing off which means for me the Patriots have likely 5 years left with him at the helm 2010 plus 4 new years. I believe they sign him to a new 5 year deal reworking the numbers of 2010 to benefit the team 2011 out for cap reasons when one returns 2011 and beyond. 
    Another thing to take into account is as hard as it is to just find a QB that just won't screw up, it is darn near impossible to find one that can turn one bad play after another into a possitive play (and sometimes that includes knowing when to just throw it away or eat it).
    The Other thing to figure is Belichick... he is at his peak as far as he won't get any better or worse over the next 5 years and if they make the right moves around the team they have the ability with Brady to challenge for a Championship every one of those years. After that point Belichick is on borrowed time as he has made a couple statements that tell me he is not coaching till he is 70 let alone into his 70's like Marv Levy. I could see him coaching till 2020 making him 68 when he steps away from the game. He would likely have one or two more championships to his name (maybe more) and easily considered the best all time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I don't think you have to worry about being called a debbie downer or being labeled not a fan.  You do have to worry about what folks here think of your football IQ.  It has taken a serious hit.

Here's where your thought process is wrong.  Brady's carrer is not close to being done.  The QB spot is the position that needs to be more than solid to just get into the playoffs.  You make the assumption that we can drag in some college kid and compete like we always have.  Not many teams in NFL history have been able pull off that feat.  It is far better to draft a QB in a couple of years and have him learn under Brady until it's time for him to hang 'em up.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

-_-... what next, are the Colts going to trade Peyton for Eli? Eli is younger, has more years, both named Manning...

=/ just cut it out. Brady retires a Patriots, and ALL, yes all, not just the Patriots, all Massachusetts based sports teams have to retire the number 12.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

Everyone is missing a serious point, Brady's career is of when and only when Guiszzel says so, she wears the pants in that family and dont forget it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The Bears, Jaguars, Texans, Seahawks, Vikings, Redskins, and Panthers have been looking for a franchise QB since their teams existed.  49ers have been looking for the last 15 years, so has Dallas.  How long has it been since Marino left Miami?  Tom Brady's don't come along very often, It can be difficult to place current players in the context of history but I'll try.  Brady will go down as the best QB the Patriots ever had, and we will be saying that in 30 years.  If he retires tomorrow he will be remembered as one of the 5 best QB's to play in the NFL, holding both Passing records and 3 Lombardi's.  There is no compensation that will justify giving up a HOF QB in his prime, what is he 33?  That's nothing for an NFL QB.  That's like if the Colts traded Manning before last season when he was 33. 

I'm not going to insult you but I could not disagree more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to i'm sure this will be an unpopular thought... please read and respond (appropriately):
    i know that i posted a tebow thread that i meant not a word of, but this is my real honest opinion (or at least a real honest thought that has been nagging at me for a while).  i'm hoping that we can all be mature adults while posting on this thread and not stoop so low as to call me a "debbie downer" or question my fandom. with tom brady entering the last year of his contract i really think we should shop him around and get as much for him as possible.  he has been an unbelievable talent for this team, and this move wouldnt help now, but with the possibility of no football in 2011, i think it makes sense.  draft a project kind of QB (i.e. John Skelton) and let him and hoyer compete for TB12's job. This move obviously wouldnt help us RIGHT NOW. but we could get some serious future draft ammo, and by the time the 2012 season rolls around Hoyer or quarterback X could be a legitimate starting QB.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

LOL!

What would you take for one of the best QB's in the game of football who is still in the prime of his career?

I will tell you that there is NOTHING that I woould trade Brady for, NOTHING.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

nellie, i've been a fan all of my life. dont question that. hobo, is it my fault that a majority of patriots fans are spoiled? it is unrealistic to EXPECT the superbowl every year.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

Those are the ones who are crying about the Pats doing nothing in the offseason.....

You are going a different approach by blowing upt he team.

What you are asking is much like trading Bird, Russell, Magic, Jordan in their prime, it is not a smart move.....especially since the QB is the most important position in the major sports. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

i know that i posted a tebow thread that i meant not a word of, but this is my real honest opinion (or at least a real honest thought that has been nagging at me for a while).  i'm hoping that we can all be mature adults while posting on this thread and not stoop so low as to call me a "debbie downer" or question my fandom. with tom brady entering the last year of his contract i really think we should shop him around and get as much for him as possible.  he has been an unbelievable talent for this team, and this move wouldnt help now, but with the possibility of no football in 2011, i think it makes sense.  draft a project kind of QB (i.e. John Skelton) and let him and hoyer compete for TB12's job. This move obviously wouldnt help us RIGHT NOW. but we could get some serious future draft ammo, and by the time the 2012 season rolls around Hoyer or quarterback X could be a legitimate starting QB.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

Brady has said he thinks he can play until he's 40, that means he plays for another 7 years.  There's no reason to believe he can't play that long, other than a his knee injury he had not missed a game since he took over for Bledsoe (ah the Steelers AFC championship game, he did miss one) but anyways he's been a durable QB and the best in the league.

If you trade him you get a player who might or might not play at a high level.  The problem with this team is not Brady, give him time and him do what he's paid to do and has done so many times.  IMO it starts with the OL, we need to get younger and better there.  I cannot see ANY advantage of trading Brady for picks.  Just disagree with this one, he should be signed to a long term deal.  He'll retire a Patriot wait his time and be a 1st ballot HOF. 

There's no college player worth or will be close to what Brady means to this franchise.  Every year the Patriots are in talks for the playoffs, two reasons Brady and BB.
    So get him an OL that can block and helps in the running game, WRs that can catch the ball anywhere on the field and a D that can get him the ball back and a few more SB wins are not out of the question.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Don't be in such a hurry. Brady's time will pass too soon as it is. In a decade or two or three, we will still be calling these "The Good Old Days". With all he has done for this franchise, he deserves to wear only one uniform ever. Hopefully he will be wearing it for another half dozen years or so.
     On a related note, I have been wondering lately if BB will choose to retire from coaching when TB retires from playing. Thoughts?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Lets not forget that the Pats would never do this kind of trade anyway.....the Pats are in business to make money by filling the seats.....Brady IS the face of the franchise...people go to see Brady play(for the most part).  Trading him would be a really BAD business move and Kraft would not allow that to happen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Brady can play past 40 now that low hits are illegal for every team and not just the Pats.