Re: Improve upon or replace which Current positions or players
posted at 2/5/2014 2:24 PM EST
In response to fishers5's comment:
Just going down the current team and deciding where improvements can be done, assuming all are signed.
1) Safety. I believe Harmon and DMC are ok but Gregory should be replaced and if T Wilson cannot compete then 2 additional players are needed. Player needs to hit and tackle.
Agree, I woul look for a starting caliber player. I don't really see many via FA so I'd look draft in the first 2 dyas and possibly look to move Arrington to S. He is good against the run and coverage underneath but don't want him covering more than 10yrds away from the line.
2) CB... L Ryan can play...Talibe can play.. Den nard can play but wish he was bigger. Arrington is only decent at slot coverage.. One bigger DB should be picked maybe 2.
I'd like to replace Talib honestly. I'm comfortable with Ryan and Dennard as #2/3 CB's but I have no faith Talib can last a season nor the post season. I'd rathr a slightly less talented player in DRC who can last a season. Though I wouldn't mind Talib with a s h ort term low guaranteed contract provided they get him a vet who can spot start
3) LB. Mayo. Hightower. Collins should be good..but don't know if there are any players to challenge them
Fletcher will be fine but still think we need another solid #5 LB who can play inside or out.
4) DE. Nink is average at best ( gives you what he's got but is still limited) improvement is needed).. C Jones is fun to watch and will get better. BUT who can challenge them? Upgrade is needed.
I think you underestimate Nink. It's easy to do as what he does best doesn't show up in stats. I'm perfectly fine with him as a starter but you can't have both Nink and Jones playing 95% of the time all season. They need proper backups and a pass rushing specialist when they need to get pressure and it's critical
5) DT.. Can we be honest and forget all the love, but both VW and Kelly are getting old and Vince must have been 360 lbs last year. Both starters have been injured.. Jones was a surprise and I think improved over the year (has upside). Silinga has upside and a year in weightroom should make him better, the rest need to be replaced or significant improvement shown
Agreed we need a starting caliber DT and another solid spot starting backup
6) OL.. Solder was up and down ( mostly up). Volmer was steady and played well.. Cannon showed that he can play. Svitek was serviceable. Upgrade needed??
G. C. G needs to be addressed bigtime..Mankins causes me most confusion because be excels. At run blocking but really breaks down in pass blocking ay key times who thinks he is worth that Cap Salary ???
We need both a RG and C but I'm fine with Mankins as LG for another season
7). TE 2 are needed so if gronk is out, at least some of the pass plays can be done. Today almost none are tried with Holman or mulligan.
Agreed need a #1 type (at this point anything we can get out of Gronk is gravy but need a starter) and someone better than Mulligan as a 2nd backup
8 WR .. Need 2 to challenge the young guys or win a job
I wish I could say dump Amendola but that contract hurts. They need at least one solid vet (2 if you don't resign Edelman) and a legit RZ threat
9 Rb Will play the 3 or 4 there
need a proper 3rd down backup scat back as Vereen is most likely to get injured again
10.. QB need 2nd one to replace Brady when it's time ..anyone seen garapallo ???
What do you say???