In a 4-3, who would be your starting LBs.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In a 4-3, who would be your starting LBs.

According to reports, the Pats plan on using OLB/DE Jamie Collins at the OLB positon in rookie workouts; click here read what BB said...

But if Collins is going to start at LB, how would you line up the Pats? Which LB would you sit and how would you line them up?I say Hightower at ROLB behind Chandler Jones, Mayo at MLB and Collins at LOLB over a TE. 

This is the fastest, quickest and best LBs we have in coverage. They're also a good run defense, even without Spikes. What are your thoughts? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: In a 4-3, who would be your starting LBs.

I'll tell yeah, honestly I feel our linebackers are better suited for the 34. They are all huge, but none of them are the play in space types that you see in 43 defenses. I don't think you'll see Spikes here after the season - I can see Mayo moving back inside in some capacity, which I think he is better at anyway.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

That's why they drafted Collins. He plays in space verY well.  

i am curious how bb uses awilson. Could he line up on the outside? What about nink? 

if they are in a 4-3, I prefer Collins as our solb, mayo wolb, Hightower inside. If 3 man front, Collins and Hightower outside, spikes and mayo inside with nink rotating between the outside spots and fletcher the inside ones. Awilson could also line up outside playing over the TE, and in this situation, maybe kick Collins in...lots of options. I want to see how collins progresses and then how bb views him vs nink. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

What about using more 2-5, with wilfork and Kelly, then use 5 lbs behind them in jones, Collins, Mayo, Hightower, spikes/nink..I think bb is really going mix it up as the year progresses 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

It's obvious that BB has been moving back to a 3-4. The linebackers he has are suited for 3-4, and some can serve as ends in the 4-3 when needed. BB likes options and he has a whole crew of linebackers that can play a lot of different options. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I hope it's 3-4. When we had the proper personel we dominated 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

I have to admit, there is a lot of talent on the D side of the ball this year. I'm excited to see what the defensive FA's and rookies bring to the mix this year. If everyone can stay healthy it should be fun to watch. I would love to see BB wind these guys up and let them go after the QB. It would seem the D can create constant pressure for a whole game by rotating linemen and LBs. If so, it won't matter if the entire Rutgers secondary is playing. Hehe. I hate to remind anyone of painful memories but, the Giants beat us twice by doing this. Again I'm looking forward to good things this season.  Go Pats!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Well I doubt they will use the 4-3 as their base Defense. They will use the 3-4 and at times the 4-3 along with the 2-3-6. The 6 will be the 6 Rutgers defenders!!! LMAO

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

Smells like a 3-4 or more 2-5 stuff than normal. Collins getting LB work:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4743071/top-3-topics-from-belichick-media-qa

I think BB has wanted to get more 2-5 stuff going. He's wanted a safety type of player that can act as a linebacker against the run. Collins might be that type of player. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'll tell yeah, honestly I feel our linebackers are better suited for the 34. They are all huge, but none of them are the play in space types that you see in 43 defenses. I don't think you'll see Spikes here after the season - I can see Mayo moving back inside in some capacity, which I think he is better at anyway.

Again, unless he's switching to more 3-4.  It could very well be the case that is Spikes's last year and they've decided to walk, which is why they drafted Collins. Or, at least one of the reasons.

But, Collins and Buchanan scream 3-4 players to me. Chandler Jones sort of looks a lot like a 3-4 OLB to me, too.

Very athletic and sort of that lankier kind of build.

I am wondering if this will be more 3-4 this year, see how they look, and then decide how to move on from there.

Tommy Kelly has 3-4 experience at DE, so I don't think them jumping all over him is a coincidence in that area either.

4-3 starters at LB would be what is was last year, IMO.

Hightower, Spikes, Mayo

I also don't agree that Spikes is as bad in coverage/space as some think. He's improved every year in that area and gets his mitts on some balls. He has good instincts, even if it's not his strength.

The better question is, what is BB's 3-4 LB starting group?

Hightower or Nink on the strong side?

Jones and Collins on the weakside?

Spikes, Mayo down the middle.

It could be a situation, where you use Hightower all over and take Spikes off in the 3-4 on 3rd downs, where Hightower moves to ILB in the 3-4 with Mayo, and then take off Nink for pass rush from Jones or Collins at that OLB spot.

Regardless, it would appear he has so many options, but I felt the lack of a DT draft pick in such a deep DT draft would lead one to think he's going more 3-4 this year.

I'd hate to lose Nink because of his growth and increased production here, I guess this is a good problem to have.

Well when they drafted Jones last year I thought...we are going to the 43 exclusively now. To me Jones looked like he was going to make a really good 43 defensive end and I could of seen him gaining 15 pounds and becoming a Bruce Smith type of player. I think he did a good job as a 43 end - I did see him run to the sidelines a few times as a outside hybrid type, so I could see him take on a elephant type of roll in a 34.

Hightower is the key to me...if this guy improves the whole defense will be better...much better. This guy should be doing it all for us next year - he is the guy that was born to play in the 34.

Really what I worry about is the defensive linemen for either scheme...Armstead and Kelly are going to have to work out for us. For a big guy Kelly is not as good against the run as you would think and Armstead looks like more of inside pass rusher to me, maybe with Vince between them it won't matter as much. Obviously the whole thing is a work in progress and will probably change a hundred times before November.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I think they are just hedging their bets with Collins in case things don't go as desired with Spikes.  So don't look at his as a replacement, as that's a worse case scenario, but one they are at least preparing for. 

In a 4-3 I would probably go Collins, Mayo and Hightower, subbing Spikes in on obvious run plays and taking out Collins.  Also subbing in Nink when you need a little more rush on the passer.  However, the real meat and teeth of this defense comes when you can get all 4 - Collins, Mayo, Hightower and Spikes in at the same time.  They can all rush the passer well, and the 3 we are most familiar with are great run stuffers. 

The great thing about our linebacker core is its depth and flexibility.  As far as Jones goes, I agree with the poster who thinks he should beef up.  If you added 15-20 pounds of muscle to his frame (and he has the frame to do so) we could have the next Bruce Smith in him. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

As several have already alluded to, I don't think BB is going with either a traditional 4-3 or a traditional 3-4.  I think we'll see a lot of hybrid combinations of the two with a lot of mix/match combinations of players on the field.  2-6? Why not? If he feels he's got the talent to pull it off he'd play a 1-7.  I'm truly looking forward to seeing the D this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't see Hightower at all in the 3-4 unless at MLB.   He's not lengthy at all. Whatever works. he doesn't have the typical strong side 3-4 OLB body style at all, IMO.  I know BB loves how he is versatile which is why he chose him over Upshaw.

Interesting. I think he slides outside pretty well and rushes decently. He showed some pass rush skills in college. I think the guy is probably better for the inside, but when you look at his weight and speed I can't see him consistently playing alone in the middle of a 43, or the outside of a 43. I think it is probably true for all our linebackers. How tall is he? Alabama had him at 6'4" and there's no way he's that tall...I think he's more 6'2"...he's got to be taller than Nink.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I don't see Hightower at all in the 3-4 unless at MLB.   He's not lengthy at all. Whatever works. he doesn't have the typical strong side 3-4 OLB body style at all, IMO.  I know BB loves how he is versatile which is why he chose him over Upshaw.

Think I would go with Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis, Clay Matthews,and if I wanted/needed a 4th guy our Pat Mayo

Interesting. I think he slides outside pretty well and rushes decently. He showed some pass rush skills in college. I think the guy is probably better for the inside, but when you look at his weight and speed I can't see him consistently playing alone in the middle of a 43, or the outside of a 43. I think it is probably true for all our linebackers. How tall is he? Alabama had him at 6'4" and there's no way he's that tall...I think he's more 6'2"...he's got to be taller than Nink.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

So many options....but I would say that the players you use depend on which alignment and whether ur trying to stop the run or pass.

Collins/Nink        Wilfork                 Love/Deadrick   Jones

Mayo    Spikes   Collins/Hightower

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

in 4-3 base I want Nink, Love, Wilfork, Jones at DL. Spikes Hightower and Mayo at LB. Please understand that this personel grouping could be altered based on the situation, For example you could use Collins or Wilson (better in coverage) as sub for Spikes on passing downs or as part of the nickel. Regardless of what base D the Pats use I want Chandler Jones to be the best pass rusher he can be this is why he would play the elephant/edge rusher role at OLB in the 3-4 or 2-5. Jones is the player whose potential I want BB to maximize the most. All three of Mayo, Hightower and Spikes are great run defenders, but like most I think Nink, Collins and Wilson at SS/OLB hybrid role could be better in coverage and/or could be used in blitz packages. For me its always about employing the right or most effective defense for a specific situation. I think that the presence of Collins and A. Wilson give the Pats different options on D. They could run a nickel where Wilson stays in the box and covers the RB or he could be used as blitzer. Collins (4.65 speed) could be used to cover TEs over the middle or Wilson could do that and Collins could be used pass rusher. IMHO the acquisition of Collins and Wilson gives BB options that he did not have with only Chung. It's also possible that Ryan could emerge as a good nickel and dime CB. To reiterate, I want Chandler Jones to exceed his potential this year. If that happens this D gets markedly better. Still young and improving.