indy #5 ,bengals #6 locked in... so ravens rest players and lay down in cinci. pats #3 regardless should rest players also

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

indy #5 ,bengals #6 locked in... so ravens rest players and lay down in cinci. pats #3 regardless should rest players also

That means Welker, Hernandez, spikes, MCC, talib, wilfork, mayo,  and yes.... BRADY.  should sit.

OR... Play 100% to the end in the hope  Denver slips up...?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: indy #5 ,bengals #6 locked in... so ravens rest players and lay down in cinci. pats #3 regardless should rest players also

Yeah, I'm all for resting guys who are pretty dinged up and need to get healthier (Spikes, Talib, Dennard, etc..)  but after a lackluster effort yesterday I say we tend to buisness as usual and at least put together somewhat of a game plan for MIA.  With that being said, I think that part of the prep time this week should go toward looking at Cinncy/Denver and start sharpening up for our playoff matchups.  What I'm saying is that we should try to beat MIA (after all, Indy or KC could still help us get a bye if we win) but don't be suprised if we don't look "razor sharp" next week.  A sloppy, injury-free win would work just fine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: indy #5 ,bengals #6 locked in... so ravens rest players and lay down in cinci. pats #3 regardless should rest players also

Look at the schedule on Sunday...  If Houston defeats Indy, they lock up the #1 seed.  From there, with both the Pats and Denver playing late afternoon games, it will be scoreboard watching to see if Denver loses.  If Denver loses, the Pats must win to secure the #2 seed.  If Houston loses, the Pats are in the same predicament, must win and see Denver lose to secure the #1 seed.  What would you rather see the team do given these probabilties?  The Pats need a real good game, against a fairly stout opponent, to have some momentum of good play heading into the playoffs.  Either way, we may not see much let up in this game unless it appears Denver is in control of their fate and all the Pats can do is remain the #3 seed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Denver probably wont slip up, but Houston might. Have to play to win to get the second slot and a bye. If Houston wins the 1:00 game and you know it by 4:30 it might take it a little easier. If Houston loses and Baltimore wins, you have a tougher dillema.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

the question to me is whether you accept the 3rd seed as an advantage since you play the next week, stay in your routine, know your opponent, etc.

Pats can treat the miami game like a quasi-bye as long as Baltimore does the same.  (which will be determined).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Indy has zero to play for so they won't play at all.  That locks up #1 for Houston.

KC in Denver?  Denver locks up #2.

The Pats should play Mallett the entire game.  If he plays really well his stock may rise like Matt Flynn in week 17 last year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The track record for NFL teams who, basically, lay it down in week 17 when heading into the playoffs is not good.  To have the mentality to think you can just switch "good play" on or off at will in the NFL is a myth. The opponent certainly is not going to lay down for you.  The Pats need to stay sharp among all the players.  Resting part of a game is one thing, keeping most of the starters out is another and asking for trouble.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

You can still game plan to win the miami game... Just do it with different players. 

Dropping to 4th seed should be avoided so if Baltimore  wins early, I would play it out with full strength.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You can still game plan to win the miami game... Just do it with different players. 

Dropping to 4th seed should be avoided so if Baltimore  wins early, I would play it out with full strength.

[/QUOTE]

Why, 4th seed plays Indy. I'd rather deal with them again than Cinci's pass rush. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I read somewhere they flexed the game. That means we scoreboard watch before players get pulled.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why, 4th seed plays Indy. I'd rather deal with them again than Cinci's pass rush. 

[/QUOTE]

4th seed means if Baltimore gets through to title game it would be in balt instead of NE....  this is possible since ravens are more playoff tested than Houston and could knock them off.  So stay ahead in the seedings.

cinci is better in 1st round since Dalton hasn't faced NE D this year and should have problems.  Indy is a scary team of "destiny " . I'd rather face them after they upset somebody else...

only way to push everybody hard is if Baltimore wins IMO or TEXANS LOSE.  So game plan A is business as usual,  plan B , pull those guys and beat Miami with B team.   lets face it mallett needs more reps.  Get him some work .

worst scenario IMO... would be if balt loses, texans win , pats go all out to beat dolphins and it means nothing when Peyton scratches out a victory at home.  

That raises another question whether Denver does its own strategy to rest players, but not likely until game is in hand. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, if Indy beats Houston and NE takes care of business, NE gets a week off with the 2 seed which would obviously be big especially for Spikes, Talib and Dennard and their ailments.  Depending on who they get in the first round, technically, they could rest those guys anyway. Not trying to jump ahead, but this team has no business losing at home in their first playoff game with Gronk returning.  

I slightly disagree. I think after yesterday's bad performance on offense. You go in, with a basic gameplan, but you run the ball a lot with Ridley and Bolden. This protects Brady.  Keep Fells and H'manui back at the line and hammer the rock a lot.  That's what will win them a SB anyway, so get some reps in with it.

Then, when you get into the second half, start taking guys like Wilfork, maybe Mayo, off, etc. I think it's a combo of some scoreboard watching, but also going into this as a focused tune up for the playoffs.

I am not a huge fan of taking the foot off the gas, especially when they haven't played a good 60 minutes in 2 weeks. 

[/QUOTE]

If you are just going to go with a power running formation, you don't need to start Brady.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Indy has zero to play for so they won't play at all.  That locks up #1 for Houston.

KC in Denver?  Denver locks up #2.

The Pats should play Mallett the entire game.  If he plays really well his stock may rise like Matt Flynn in week 17 last year.

[/QUOTE]

Agree about Houston game...  Indy should be coy and not show Houston much, since this will assure a rematch in 2nd round where Indy would be at advantage as underdog with a little something up their sleeve.   

If ravens play it safe and lose in Cincinnati then I agree with mallet going the whole game.   resting players will pay off more likely than wishing broncos to lose.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

This thread is funnier than Babe explaining away a Brady 3 INT game.

it's been said that the Pats NOT having a first round bye isn't important, and recent SB winners have won having had to play on wild card weekend. Yet, these same fplks want to sit down critical Pats to prep for the playoffs, to be as healthy as possible.  Seems tpo me that if I want a healthy team, I'd want a week when no one plays. Sort of like a "bye".

Play 'em all, all out Sunday. After yesterday's stinker, both sides of the ball badly needs the work. Games like yesterday guarantee an early golf vacation. I'd rather see a nicked up team that is on their5 game than a fully rested debacle. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This thread is funnier than Babe explaining away a Brady 3 INT game.

it's been said that the Pats NOT having a first round bye isn't important, and recent SB winners have won having had to play on wild card weekend. Yet, these same fplks want to sit down critical Pats to prep for the playoffs, to be as healthy as possible.  Seems tpo me that if I want a healthy team, I'd want a week when no one plays. Sort of like a "bye".

Play 'em all, all out Sunday. After yesterday's stinker, both sides of the ball badly needs the work. Games like yesterday guarantee an early golf vacation. I'd rather see a nicked up team that is on their5 game than a fully rested debacle. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree, play them all, play them full out and go into the playoffs with building momentum instead of two stinkers in a row.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

4th seed means if Baltimore gets through to title game it would be in balt instead of NE....  this is possible since ravens are more playoff tested than Houston and could knock them off.  So stay ahead in the seedings.

cinci is better in 1st round since Dalton hasn't faced NE D this year and should have problems.  Indy is a scary team of "destiny " . I'd rather face them after they upset somebody else...

only way to push everybody hard is if Baltimore wins IMO or TEXANS LOSE.  So game plan A is business as usual,  plan B , pull those guys and beat Miami with B team.   lets face it mallett needs more reps.  Get him some work .

worst scenario IMO... would be if balt loses, texans win , pats go all out to beat dolphins and it means nothing when Peyton scratches out a victory at home.  

That raises another question whether Denver does its own strategy to rest players, but not likely until game is in hand. 

[/QUOTE]

You put way too much thought into this. Just play the game against Miami and then beat whoever shows up the following week, Cinci or Indy.  Let's not overcomplicate it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Even if the Texans win, I say you still start Brady with an eye on the Broncos game. If that game gets out of hand you can rest guys. 

If the Texans lose, you need to go for the bye. The worst case scenario is that either the Broncos or Texans (or both lose) and the Patriots play starters the whole game getting beaten up and still fail to win, but I think that is highly unlikely.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

The Colts not going to lie down for the Texans. The Colts can beat the Texans. The only way Brady & the other starters rest is that the Texans beat the Colts. Other than that we still have something to play for. Green Bay rested their starters last year and got bounced in Round 2.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to FLY2K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Colts not going to lie down for the Texans. The Colts can beat the Texans. The only way Brady & the other starters rest is that the Texans beat the Colts. Other than that we still have something to play for. Green Bay rested their starters last year and got bounced in Round 2.

[/QUOTE]

People keep saying Colts will play hard, play to win, won't lie down, etc. but nobody says why.  So explain why they won't sit Luck, Wayne, Freeney, Mathis and others (or play them for one series or the first quarter), when they have nothing to gain from the outcome of the game, and only downside if they play? Because I can't figure it out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

People keep saying Colts will play hard, play to win, won't lie down, etc. but nobody says why.  So explain why they won't sit Luck, Wayne, Freeney, Mathis and others (or play them for one series or the first quarter), when they have nothing to gain from the outcome of the game, and only downside if they play? Because I can't figure it out.

[/QUOTE]

They are thinking with their hearts (for Pats sake) and not their heads.  I'm with you.  If anyone thought the Colts put forth less than maximum effort with questionable personnel last year they will see the Colts take it to another (lower) level in Week 17.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They are thinking with their hearts (for Pats sake) and not their heads.  I'm with you.  If anyone thought the Colts put forth less than maximum effort with questionable personnel last year they will see the Colts take it to another (lower) level in Week 17.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the guys that take the field will play hard because unlike last year it doesn't hurt them to win. I just don't see why they would risk injury to a key player so I would expect their best guys to be on the bench.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the guys that take the field will play hard because unlike last year it doesn't hurt them to win. I just don't see why they would risk injury to a key player so I would expect their best guys to be on the bench.

[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. Houston has more to lose in this game. I think the players on the field will be trying to win. However, I would think guys who would normally be "questionable" maybe be out of this game, and I would not be surprised so see some guys rested in the second half with no chance of a bye.