Inexpensive strong S to pair with DMC? Would you do it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Inexpensive strong S to pair with DMC? Would you do it?

Despite rusty thinking Merriweather was the 2nd best safety in the AFC based of his google search that lead him to the very same website that now calls him the 77th ranked safety, I'd pass.

I can't stand it when people call Merriweather a "big hitter", the guy has no sand in his pants. Every time Merriweather does one of his 30 yard head start "big hits" and leads with his head...two things happen...one, the guy catches the ball...and two, its almost always for a first down. Yeah Merriweather lays the wood, but it looks a lot more physical than it is as he's flying throught the air towards some defenseless receiver (with his hair flying around), if Harrison or Pollard hit someone, once in a while the ball would come out...the guy didn't want to catch it over the middle again. When Merriweather does it, no one is scared, no one short arms the ball, drops the ball or fumbles. And lets not forget how terrible he is in coverage.

Merriweather is a dumb clown.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Despite rusty thinking Merriweather was the 2nd best safety in the AFC based of his google search that lead him to the very same website that now calls him the 77th ranked safety, I'd pass.

I can't stand it when people call Merriweather a "big hitter", the guy has no sand in his pants. Every time Merriweather does one of his 30 yard head start "big hits" and leads with his head...two things happen...one, the guy catches the ball...and two, its almost always for a first down. Yeah Merriweather lays the wood, but it looks a lot more physical than it is as he's flying throught the air towards some defenseless receiver (with his hair flying around), if Harrison or Pollard hit someone, once in a while the ball would come out...the guy didn't want to catch it over the middle again. When Merriweather does it, no one is scared, no one short arms the ball, drops the ball or fumbles. And lets not forget how terrible he is in coverage.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much agree.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mthurl,

When Merri was here, he was playing the FS role that DMC is now playing. He was miscast in that role. But if he were to return and play beside DMC in the SS role, that would allow him much more leeway to jam the TE at the LOS, enforce the run and blitz the QB, with DMC keepng the entir play in frontof him. Physically, he can do most everything better than Gregory. For the vets min, for me it is interesting peclation. I am quite sure we see a big SS in camp, AWiIlson or the like. Merri would be cheap (Pat like that) and might have something left in the tank.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I assume I dont have to mention that there are a lot of dumb clowns playing in the NFL and contributing. Including players with the Pats. The issue is can this organization, coaches and current roster work some additional dumb clowns into the system to help the team win?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

sorry, last word on topic. Obviously Gregory is not a dumb clown. But no one seems to thrilled with the performance on the field and the cash in his pocket.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think marryweather is miscast as a football player. He seems to have the perfect build and intellect for table tennis. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

sorry, last word on topic. Obviously Gregory is not a dumb clown. But no one seems to thrilled with the performance on the field and the cash in his pocket.  

[/QUOTE]

I would rather have Gregory then marryweather...and that is saying a lot since I don't think much of Gregory. My hope is that Harmon takes off during camp and we see him and dmc back there. 

Heck lets draft another athletic lb and put Collins at SS/lb. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mthurl,

When Merri was here, he was playing the FS role that DMC is now playing. He was miscast in that role. But if he were to return and play beside DMC in the SS role, that would allow him much more leeway to jam the TE at the LOS, enforce the run and blitz the QB, with DMC keepng the entir play in frontof him. Physically, he can do most everything better than Gregory. For the vets min, for me it is interesting peclation. I am quite sure we see a big SS in camp, AWiIlson or the like. Merri would be cheap (Pat like that) and might have something left in the tank.    

[/QUOTE]

I usually agree with you on players, etc, but I can't stand Merriweather. I seriously just don't think a guy that is 5'11" 195 pounds is capable of covering tightends - he hasn't been able to do it thus far in his career (at least from what I've seen), so I don't think he'll be able to do it now. He is probably better than Gregory, but I'm willing to bet/hope the kid from Rutgers we drafted last year will take over for him.

I had a friend that used to talk to the incoming Patriots (rookies) during their rookie orientation week. He had the pleasure of talking to Merriweather's draft class, he told me Merriweather was sound asleep in the front row while he talked...he kicked his desk and asked Merriweather if he was alright...Merriweaether just looked up at him before going back to sleep. At the time I was excited about Merriweather - hearing that didn't change things...nor did hearing Merriweather's college coach come on weei after the draft and basically say nothing good about him, but watching Merriweather play for a few years did.