Instead of worrying about a "3rd reciever", how about we focus on throwing it to our "1st reciever"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notanegativefan. Show notanegativefan's posts

Instead of worrying about a "3rd reciever", how about we focus on throwing it to our "1st reciever"?

It seemed like 90 perecent of the passes thrown Sunday went to Welker, and about 3 went to Moss. That has to change if he still is our first reciever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Instead of worrying about a "3rd reciever", how about we focus on throwing it to our "1st reciever"?

Brady has to show the opposition that he can hit the deep ball to Moss. That would open other aspects of the offense in a big way. Moss can't continue to be a decoy, he has to be a serious threat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

Re: Instead of worrying about a "3rd reciever", how about we focus on throwing it to our "1st reciever"?

In Response to Instead of worrying about a "3rd reciever", how about we focus on throwing it to our "1st reciever"?:
    [QUOTE]It seemed like 90 perecent of the passes thrown Sunday went to Welker, and about 3 went to Moss. That has to change if he still is our first reciever.
    Posted by notanegativefan[/QUOTE]

AMEN! totally agree.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

These two issues go hand in hand.

Teams are rolling safety help over the top on Moss on virtually every play, and a primary reason for that is that they don't respect the other outside threats the Patriots have.  Welker runs the underneath routes, and while there is some sort of balance between coverage of Welker and Moss, the fact that teams don't respect the 3rd receiver at all is making it harder for Moss to get open.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Well spotted.

I'm also still among the tiny minority that thinks Joey Galloway could contribute if he'd just catch the ball when it's thrown to him.  It wasn't for lack of balls hitting him in the hands or whizzing right by him, or for him getting open.  I'd like to think for a 14 year veteran, such missed catches would be an anomaly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Could Moss's back injury have anything to do with them throwing it to him less?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

If you notice the 2 games they didnt go to Moss were the 2 games an elite corner was on him. Reves and Bailey both shut down Moss. Moss isnt the same reciever as he was in 07. Now to be fair to Moss when he has been open down field Brady has over thrown him by 10 yards everytime. Also the lack of a 3rd reciever is really hurting Moss. He is the only downfield threat, there for the D call roll a safety over the top. Even with Gaffney last year, opposing D's had to respect the fact that he could run a post up the seem. Edelman, Aiken and Galloway havent proven that they can.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notanegativefan. Show notanegativefan's posts

I agree, Galloway could help out. I know people dont like Reche Caldwell that much, but he was a good player until the Colts game. Get him maybe?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Both Moss and Welker were open on several occasions in key situations against Denver and Brady was unable to put the ball on target.

You can bring Larry Fitzgerald in as your third option and it's not going to solve THAT problem.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Instead of worrying about a "3rd reciever", how about we focus on throwing it to our "1st reciever"?:
    [QUOTE]Both Moss and Welker were open on several occasions in key situations and Brady was unable to put the ball on target. You can bring Larry Fitzgerald in as your third option and it's not going to solve THAT problem.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

And that's really what needs to be fixed before any of us really know the extent of any other problems.  Brady hasn't gotten back into form yet.  Peyton went through the exact same thing last year.  One of the other threads highlights that quite well.  For all of our woes, if Brady was back in form we'd be 5-0 right now and none of us would think we had any problems on either side of the ball.

And that is why we hear so often that you are never as good as you think you are when you are winning, and never as bad as you think you are when you are losing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Maybe if we trade for Steven Jackson the opposing defense will have to honor the run and THEN Moss will be singled up. Brady over throws Moss and drills the ball at Welkers feet. Thats the first thing that needs fixing. Palmer took 2 years to recover from his injury and Manning took almost half a season to hit his stride last year. We drafted Brando Tate who could possibly be the steal of the draft. He's due to come off PUP and be activated or go on IR soon. So we have that 3rd receiver.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

trade for this guy or trade for that guy do any of you really think this will happen? Site me one example when we traded for a player mid season? It does not happen so give it a break.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Instead of worrying about a "3rd reciever", how about we focus on throwing it to our "1st reciever"?:
    [QUOTE]trade for this guy or trade for that guy do any of you really think this will happen? Site me one example when we traded for a player mid season? It does not happen so give it a break.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

Not a trade, but we did sign Gaffney about this same time in 2006.  His performance against the Chargers that year in the playoffs was a major reason we won that game.

That said, he was the exception and not the norm.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

This will not be a problem by the end of the year. Whether it's Tate or Galloway, I seriously doubt this will be the big conversation come December.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]Well spotted. I'm also still among the tiny minority that thinks Joey Galloway could contribute if he'd just catch the ball when it's thrown to him.  It wasn't for lack of balls hitting him in the hands or whizzing right by him, or for him getting open.  I'd like to think for a 14 year veteran, such missed catches would be an anomaly.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

I think asking Joey Galloway to a catch the ball when it's thrown to him, is asking a bit too much of him at this point in his career.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Amen to that brother. This is one of the smartest post I've seen in a while.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MudCityManglers. Show MudCityManglers's posts

Everyone is going Ga Ga (Not Lady GA GA) over the recievers, folks, its not the recievers. Tom Brady is the problem. (Oh Gawd I know no one wants to hear its Brady) but it is. Before Moss came to the Patriots Mr. Brady had a very big problem with throwing the long ball, it was being thrown around that maybe he could not come over in his throws and it might be a Rotator Cuff problem. when the Pats got Moss Brady tried different approaches to throw the ball long.  Brady has long played injuried we all know that its no secret, also theres nothing wrong with a problem is you address it but dont hide it or lie about it.
    No one wants to say Brady is in big trouble, but this has been his history because Bledsoe could throw a 60 yeard pass, but Brady at any long distance was very inaccurate.  Sorry but the problem for the long ball with Tom Brady is, and always has been he has trouble with it, and it may very well be that it is medical.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Caraway we signed Gaffney right before the playoffs not in week 5 or 6. Not to be a stickler or anything i am just a big fan. But yes we signed him off teh street right before teh playoffs and he was lights out that year in the playoffs. He came in and did better then Caldwell right away. But that was a FA signing not a trade and what I said was anyone who thinks we will make a mid season trade clealry does not pay much attention to the way the Pats do things. History shows that we dont make moves like that. We make late season FA signings all the time, for depth and what not so that we do but mid season trades so not go down on this football team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]Caraway we signed Gaffney right before the playoffs not in week 5 or 6. Not to be a stickler or anything i am just a big fan. But yes we signed him off teh street right before teh playoffs and he was lights out that year in the playoffs. He came in and did better then Caldwell right away. But that was a FA signing not a trade and what I said was anyone who thinks we will make a mid season trade clealry does not pay much attention to the way the Pats do things. History shows that we dont make moves like that. We make late season FA signings all the time, for depth and what not so that we do but mid season trades so not go down on this football team.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

I agree he wasn't a trade and trades are rare this time of year.  I was just noting that "sometimes" a player can come in and contribute fairly soon.  We did sign him about this time in 2006 though.  Here is his biography from the Pats official site:

Jabar Gaffney was signed by the Patriots as a free agent on October 9, 2006 ... Originally drafted by the Houston Texans with the first pick in the second round (33rd overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft ... Signed by the Philadelphia Eagles (3/6/06) ... Released by the Eagles (9/2/06) ... Re-signed by the Patriots (3/5/08).