interesting Hern info regarding the CAP

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

interesting Hern info regarding the CAP

not sure this was covered here, but very interesting;

Per the National Football Post's Joel Corry:

"If Aaron Hernandez is implicated in the double murder, contract language gives the Pats grounds to recoup his entire $12.5M signing bonus."

As it currently stands, the Patriots are expected to pay Hernandez a piece his bonus for the 2013 season on 3/31 ($3.25mm per Corry, different values from Miguel), as well as his base salary. Any implication in the double murder "will effectively end Hernandez's grievance for...the signing bonus payment [and] salary guarantees". As of January 8th, additional details linking Hernandez to a double murder (in addition to the murder of Odin Lloyd) are starting to surface.

Per Miguel's absurdly fantastic website, here's a summary of Hernandez's grievances:

Aaron Hernandez has filed two grievances - one for regarding his $82,000 offseason workout bonus money and another regarding his 2013 guaranteed salary of $1,323,000, 2014 guaranteed salary of $1,137,000, and his 2014 guaranteed $500,000 offseason workout bonus money.

The 232,800 offseason workout amount is 40 percent of the offseason workout grievance amount. The 984,800 salary amount is 40 percent of the salary that is being contested in the second grievance.

From the CBA - "When a player salary grievance is filed against a Club, 40% of the amount claimed (or, for a player whose contract qualifies under Article 27, 40% of the player's Salary Cap count, prorated to reflect the number of weeks remaining in the regular season) will be counted in Team Salary until the grievance is resolved or until the end of the League Year, whichever comes first.

If Aaron wins his grievances before the end of this year, another 1,825,200 will hit the Patriots 2013 cap.

Keeping this strictly related to football, Hernandez is expected to be $7.5mm in dead money on 2014 cap. I'm sure there will be additional ramifications for the Patriots if they recoup their lost money from prior seasons, if not in the cap, then at the very least back in the coffers.

$7.5mm in cap speak is roughly the value of:

The average between the 2013 cap hits of Logan Mankins and Aqib Talib

The sum of the 2013 cap hits of Rob Gronkowski and Aqib Talib

The sum of the 2013 cap hits of Chandler Jones, Devin McCourty, Dont'a Hightower, Shane Vereen, and Stevan Ridley

The amount of money to make Aqib Talib the 12th highest paid corner in the league, without touching the currently open cap space

The value of Aqib Talib, is what I'm getting. This would mean that the Patriots could bring back Talib and have some breathing room for other free agency moves, like signging some of the aforementioned players to extensions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: interesting Hern info regarding the CAP

Wow, we have 5 great players like chandler, Hightower, Mccourty,  rid and vareen for only 7 million? Damn BB is good! 

Looks like we will get cap relief, as Hernandez seems to have been a serial killer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow, we have 5 great players like chandler, Hightower, Mccourty,  rid and vareen for only 7 million? Damn BB is good! 

Looks like we will get cap relief, as Hernandez seems to have been a serial killer.

[/QUOTE]

rookie contracts. Rid and Vareen weren't day 1 choices

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Smart team building hey?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Keeping this strictly related to football, Hernandez is expected to be $7.5mm in dead money on 2014 cap. I'm sure there will be additional ramifications for the Patriots if they recoup their lost money from prior seasons, if not in the cap, then at the very least back in the coffers.

$7.5mm in cap speak is roughly the value of:

The average between the 2013 cap hits of Logan Mankins and Aqib Talib

The sum of the 2013 cap hits of Rob Gronkowski and Aqib Talib

The sum of the 2013 cap hits of Chandler Jones, Devin McCourty, Dont'a Hightower, Shane Vereen, and Stevan Ridley

The amount of money to make Aqib Talib the 12th highest paid corner in the league, without touching the currently open cap space

OH, OH

Hmmmmm. Any one else want to pooh pooh the ramifications of the DEAD MONEY, in team building, that I have been screaming about?

Rusty? Rooty? Muzzy? Chumpy? Ignoredeadmoney.com?  Anyone?

Bla Bla Bla.  BB the best GM.  Great Team, despite all that insignificant garbage.

Just, significantly better without it.

Thanks TB

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I see the past 4 drafts as 50-50, which in this league is pretty good. Take a wait and see on this year, and it is truly 50-50, with player in the "hit" category, simply contributing to the team, not stars (Ebner, Mallett, Wilson) 

HITS

Jones

Hightower

Dennerd

Ebner

Solder

Vereen

Ridley

Mallett

Cannon

McCourty

Gronk

Mesko

Vollmer

Mayo

Wilson

MISSES

Bequette

Dowling

Cunningham

Spikes

Price

Hernandez

Chung

Brace

Butler

Tate

McKenzie

Wheatley

Crable

Oconnell

Wilhite

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

[QUOTE]

I see the past 4 drafts as 50-50, which in this league is pretty good. Take a wait and see on this year, and it is truly 50-50, with player in the "hit" category, simply contributing to the team, not stars (Ebner, Mallett, Wilson) 

HITS

Jones

Hightower

Dennerd

Ebner

Solder

Vereen

Ridley

Mallett

Cannon

McCourty

Gronk

Mesko

Vollmer

Mayo

Wilson

MISSES

Bequette

Dowling

Cunningham

Spikes

Price

Hernandez

Chung

Brace

Butler

Tate

McKenzie

Wheatley

Crable

Oconnell

Wilhite

[/QUOTE]

I'd take Hernanadez and Spikes out of the miss category. There's a level of trust involved in hiring an employee. People tend to lie their as ses off in interviews, these 2 have all the ability they need to play in the NFL and at a reasonably high level they just happen to both be a**holes who think they make better gansters than football players.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This team is loaded with Hern and and his cap hit or not.  That's what happens when you hit on 4 drafts in a row, with varying strong yields. Hern's situation would devastate other franchise. This one? Umm, not so much. Thanks BB.

It should be interesting to see how this shakes down. I would imagine the owners used the Vick situation as an example for the new CBA's approach, so the lawyers will work it out.

WIth the flat cap, BB has planned for these kinds of potential problems which are obviously injury related, not murder related, which is why the supposed better run teams like Pitt, NYGs, Baltimore, etc, (Denve is in trouble after this year), have all missed the playoffs and will likely continue to do so.  They blew it off. They signed pricier FAs, blew drafts and had resigned their older players in and out of the lockout. Whooops!

BB has masterfully built the base through the draft, UDFAs and other teams' "trash" and our gold.

Thanks to BB for being the best GM and coach in NFL history. 

[/QUOTE]

Bla bla bla.  The team is good, same old tired argument.  Other teams...Bla bla bla.

So, is this team as good as it could have been or currently is, without the $50 M, in dead money created by bad contracts over the past 3 years? 

Will you be happy if the already accumulated $8.5 in dead money (without the year even started) for next year is the sole reason they can't sign Talib, Edelman, Blount (Not overpaying, of course)?

I won't.

Thanks BB. (the coach, not the GM)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to danemcmenamin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

HITS

Jones

Hightower

Dennerd

Ebner

Solder

Vereen

Ridley

Mallett

Cannon

McCourty

Gronk

Mesko

Vollmer

Mayo

Wilson

MISSES

Bequette

Dowling

Cunningham

Spikes

Price

Hernandez

Chung

Brace

Butler

Tate

McKenzie

Wheatley

Crable

Oconnell

Wilhite

[/QUOTE]

I'd take Hernanadez and Spikes out of the miss category. There's a level of trust involved in hiring an employee. People tend to lie their as ses off in interviews, these 2 have all the ability they need to play in the NFL and at a reasonably high level they just happen to both be a**holes who think they make better gansters than football players.  

[/QUOTE]
    we all would take spikes and hern out of the miss category. spikes was one of the best at his position stuffing the run(which was all he was asked to do....and he played4 years. Hern played 3 years and was key contributor in 3 playoff trips, and back to back afc championship appearances. 2 good players from rd 2 and rd 4. If Hern wasnt a pyscho he would be a corner stone offensive player for years.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

HITS

Jones

Hightower

Dennerd

Ebner

Solder

Vereen

Ridley

Mallett

Cannon

McCourty

Gronk

Mesko

Vollmer

Mayo

Wilson

MISSES

Bequette

Dowling

Cunningham

Spikes

Price

Hernandez

Chung

Brace

Butler

Tate

McKenzie

Wheatley

Crable

Oconnell

Wilhite

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I put them in the miss category because their talent said round 1, but other teams (including the PAts) passed them over. The Pats rolled the dice on each, but I would say the end result s/b miss.

Spikes was a #2 that gave the team 2 solid years, a promising rookie year and a disappointing soph year. Should get more than that from a #2.  Hern was a first round talent that had 1 outstanding soph year, a promising rookie year and an injury riddled average 3rd year

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

I put them in the miss category because their talent said round 1, but other teams (including the PAts) passed them over. The Pats rolled the dice on each, but I would say the end result s/b miss.

Spikes was a #2 that gave the team 2 solid years, a promising rookie year and a disappointing soph year. Should get more than that from a #2.  Hern was a first round talent that had 1 outstanding soph year, a promising rookie year and an injury riddled average 3rd year

[/QUOTE]

Whoa whoa WHOA... you're deducting points because even though the Pats picked them lower in the draft, their talent said they should have been taken higher?  That may be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  And I read a board that has Rusty as a regular contributor.

Both players were hits for where they were taken vs. their contributions to the team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

O'Connell? He's supposed to replace Brady to prove he isn't a miss?  How dumb is that?

[/QUOTE]

No, but as a third round pick, he's supposed to stick around for more than 1 year as a back to Brady.  O'Connell was definitely a miss.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

HITS

Jones

Hightower

Dennerd

Ebner

Solder

Vereen

Ridley

Mallett

Cannon

McCourty

Gronk

Mesko

Vollmer

Mayo

Wilson

MISSES

Bequette

Dowling

Cunningham

Spikes

Price

Hernandez

Chung

Brace

Butler

Tate

McKenzie

Wheatley

Crable

Oconnell

Wilhite

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You can't start and be the best at your position for 3 years and be a miss. That makes no sense. 

As for Spikes, he was a steady contributor here and made a difference on the D. So, that makes no sense either.

So, you consider an inury as a metric to be a miss?   That;s completely irrational.

Bob Sanders for the Colts wasn't a miss. He was once DPOY and battled injuries, but he wasn't a miss. No one can project the health of a future NFL player.

[/QUOTE]

no, I expect a #2 draft choice with a first round grade to have been better than what Spikes gave the team. Ditto Hern. Hern had 483 yards last year, and IMO was physically and mentally out to lunch. He had 563 yards his rookie year. Promising, but not first round talent. Yes, his 2nd year he was great, but thats one year of being great for a first round talent? That was paid a ton of money and was a head ache before his legal trouble? To me that is a miss.

Agreed, Edelman and Slater I missed. Wendell and BJGE were UDFA's...thats one of the points however. I give the nod on Wendell and BJGE to the coaches, not the GM. Took them a few years and they needed coaching. Players worked extremely hard, and the coaches went that extra mile with them. I simply dont see that as superior GM fodder 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I simply dont agree, O'connell was a bust. Guttierez could not play in this league either

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Smart team building hey?

[/QUOTE]

Using draft picks to help build a team.... Brilliant. Why didn't any other team think of this. Better keep it secret True because 31 other GM's out there might figure out that using high draft picks to build a team is a smart plan. Sorry for the sarcasm but really True, every team uses day 1 and 2 picks to build teams. Most teams seem to try to find players that will last more then their rook contracts with the team though.

25. This post has been removed.