Interesting take on Pats cap position

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: Interesting take on Pats cap position

In response to RockScully's comment:

Parcells is a moron in the cap era. He never did anything good whatsoever in terms of building a team as a GM. He failed with the Jets, Dallas (not all his fault) and Miami.

Learn your history and state facts.

The Giants absolutely have not been drafting the same way at all since the 1970s.  The Raiders have, maybe the Cowboys, the Jets and all other poorly run teams who are still crappy.

BB invented salary allocation under a cap per position and it's worked swimmingly for over a decade. 

Once you read Pats Management Secrets Volume I and II, you'll learn that these concepts started in Cleveland in 1991 once it was well know the salary cap would become a reality in 1993.  The proof is in the pudding.

NE is the franchise people try to copy, not the Giants. Absolute fact.  It's been corroborated over and over for years now.

translation: as usual u see what u want to and think ur smarter than everyone

yeah bellichick "invented" cap allocation 

oh boy...

btw based on recent results shouldn't BB/Pats start following the Giants "blue print"? I mean just a suggestion....

:  )

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Can somebody read this and give me the Cliff's Notes version? 

1. Gunty 42/46 is a moron delight.  His own GM has tried to copy BB and he mocks what BB does.  Yet, his own team missed the playoffs outright with a .500 record.

Priceless.

2. RKarp is utterly clueless when it comes to understanding finances.  He selects a wishful thinking-tinged anti-Pats based synopsis of what is otherwise widely considered incredible cap position for a very young team knocking on the SB door on an annual basis now.

He suggests he'd like to provide the Bills and Dolphins cap situation, but not the Jets.  Funny how he wants to not provide the dire Jets situation in this discussion, as he provides us with a very poorly analyzed Pats cap situation. Hmm.

This, on the heels of Revis being "shocked" he will be traded.   RKarp still can't figure it out.  If our best player needed a new deal while being 20 mil over the cap currently, an entire defense to fix, a new GM, no QB, a lame duck head coach, etc, this board would blow up.  RKarp's hypocrisy and lack of intellect cannot be made up. It just can't.

Keep in mind he claims he went to Tufts and has an MBA from Harvard. bawhaa

3. Everyone else but RKarp and MtHurl can see how great a position NE is in heading into 2013 and beyond before the cap rises in 2015.

Translaton: Nothing has changed. The trolls who pose as Pats fans will still have a see through agenda while the rest of us call them out with ease.

I just provided the Phins and Bills article. As I clearly stated the Jets article will post this week. I understand your reading level is not up to Harvard standards, but even you should under stand that. Read all 3 articles and only a moron would say "bias against the Pats" but then again, you are a moron. 

if you have any understanding of the cap situation, you will see the issue with Brady in the next 1 or 2 years, which is clearly spelled out in the article.

Read the article again and see that this team has the most money due its 3 most aged players, Brady, Vince and Mankins. Vince and Mankins have had contentious negotiations with the Pats, and Brady is on the verge of being non negotiable with a cap hit exceeding Peyton with out a new contract, paying $100 million in his aged 38-42 years. 

You call this cap nirvana?

is it possible that you retort with out mentioning the Jets, as no where do I or the article bring up the Jets. Tell us genius, how you think that 2013 and 2014 is not going to be hard on he Pats?

i agree, it is better to be $15 milunder under than over, but the Pats have very little dollars of clear player cuts that will help the cap (Fells, Ghostkowski?) keeping Vollmer and Talib or replacing Talib with a similar talent, as well as signing Woody, Edelman, Arrington is going to be challenging with out Mankins and Brady restructured...

Go list the STARTERS on your favorite team (the Jets) that they have to replace, with them 20 million OVER. Go ahead and do it.  List the names, in particular on D.

You're on here babbling about how NY can clip 20 million with ease (LOL) and now are saying NE under 15 mil, with decisions to make, are doomed!

We're doomed because RKarp said so and RKarp w/Cupcake Hurlie are so intelligent! lmao

Did you just see the report that said the Jets were looking to deal Revis BEFORE the season and his ACL tear?

LMAO

Absolute fact. Even that moron Tannenboob realized he had himself in a pickle, but the big reason why they couldn't trade him is because NY is asking too much in compensation due to his outlandish future price tag.   How many times did I suggest to you and moron Hurlie that the Jets were up the creek?

And, now you're trying to tell us NE is? 

That means Tannenboob had weakened leverage before and this new GM is in a worse position because Revis is coming off a blown out ACL.

Yet, you sit on here casting aside their unbelievable hole as an organization to somehow try to manufacture this idea that NE is in a sketchy situation?    Do you have any idea how arrogant you are?

Edelman will be a cheap resign. He's not going anywhere.  Woodhead, Welker and Vollmer may all be gone. Vereen is Woodhead's replacement.  Ridley and Bolden look good to me.  Talib hopefully is resigned and I don't see Arrington being hard to resign unless someone steps in. If so, then see ya.  I have no issue with a tandem of Talib and Dennard s starters.  They're as good as a duo as you'll find in the AFC.

Every team faces FA questions every year and ours is no different. But, if you look at all the playoff teams or elite teams right now, NE is in the best shape of any of them.

What a surprise. You talk about the Jets ( you troll) and offer zero insight on anything cap related. Priceless!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Hello, my name is Rusty and because I read Pats Management Secrets Volume I and I, I not only fully understand the salary cap of the Patriots, but the entire NFL as well. I mean, hey I may not understand what a good defense is...and very specifically what a good corner or safety looks like, but I read dem books!! Or I should say, had my mother read them to me. Now despite the books, I still don't appreciate our quarterback and blame everything on him.

I put no blame on our 40 million dollar linebacker missing a tackle on Rice at the goal line (right in his arms too...darn), or our first round 260 pound linebacker that had the next shot at him (after he slowed down slightly from Mayo's "attempt"). I put no blame towards our secondary, despite allowing Flacco to have a career day in blazing winds...on the road. I put no blame in our pass rush either...that crap is overrated..I've been telling you all for years!! And Spikes whiffing on tight ends that run right in front of his face during simple pop warner pass paterns?? The warnings were out people! Pass coverage is overrated (just like the pass rush). In fact the whole concept of playing pass defense is a total farce...has been since the salary cap was implemented. Speaking of the cap...doesn't anyone know that we are all lucky to even have NFL football teams in business after the impending doom of the lockout? That was scary as hell - every team in the NFL (except ours) was supposed to go belly up...still don't understand why that never happened...unicorn magic maybe?

I'll tell you, once we rid ourselves of this Brady bum we will be a well balanced Super Bowl winning team again!! Our pass rush will improve...our coverage too!! Heck Mayo will shed blocks and make tackles on the outside! You'll see! You'll all see...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank158. Show Frank158's posts

1. Gunty 42/46 is a moron delight.  His own GM has tried to copy BB and he mocks what BB does.  Yet, his own team missed the playoffs outright with a .500 record.

Priceless.

2. RKarp is utterly clueless when it comes to understanding finances.  He selects a wishful thinking-tinged anti-Pats based synopsis of what is otherwise widely considered incredible cap position for a very young team knocking on the SB door on an annual basis now.

He suggests he'd like to provide the Bills and Dolphins cap situation, but not the Jets.  Funny how he wants to not provide the dire Jets situation in this discussion, as he provides us with a very poorly analyzed Pats cap situation. Hmm.

This, on the heels of Revis being "shocked" he will be traded.   RKarp still can't figure it out.  If our best player needed a new deal while being 20 mil over the cap currently, an entire defense to fix, a new GM, no QB, a lame duck head coach, etc, this board would blow up.  RKarp's hypocrisy and lack of intellect cannot be made up. It just can't.

3. Everyone else but RKarp and MtHurl can see how great a position NE is in heading into 2013 and beyond before the cap rises in 2015.

Translaton: Nothing has changed. The trolls who pose as Pats fans will still have a see through agenda while the rest of us call them out with ease.

I just provided the Phins and Bills article. As I clearly stated the Jets article will post this week. I understand your reading level is not up to Harvard standards, but even you should under stand that. Read all 3 articles and only a moron would say "bias against the Pats" but then again, you are a moron. 

if you have any understanding of the cap situation, you will see the issue with Brady in the next 1 or 2 years, which is clearly spelled out in the article.

Read the article again and see that this team has the most money due its 3 most aged players, Brady, Vince and Mankins. Vince and Mankins have had contentious negotiations with the Pats, and Brady is on the verge of being non negotiable with a cap hit exceeding Peyton with out a new contract, paying $100 million in his aged 38-42 years. 

is it possible that you retort with out mentioning the Jets, as no where do I or the article bring up the Jets. Tell us genius, how you think that 2013 and 2014 is not going to be hard on he Pats?

i agree, it is better to be $15 milunder under than over, but the Pats have very little dollars of clear player cuts that will help the cap (Fells, Ghostkowski?) keeping Vollmer and Talib or replacing Talib with a similar talent, as well as signing Woody, Edelman, Arrington is going to be challenging with out Mankins and Brady restructured...

Go list the STARTERS on your favorite team (the Jets) that they have to replace, with them 20 million OVER. Go ahead and do it.  List the names, in particular on D.

You're on here babbling about how NY can clip 20 million with ease (LOL) and now are saying NE under 15 mil, with decisions to make, are doomed!

We're doomed because RKarp said so and RKarp w/Cupcake Hurlie are so intelligent! lmao

Did you just see the report that said the Jets were looking to deal Revis BEFORE the season and his ACL tear?

LMAO

Absolute fact. Even that moron Tannenboob realized he had himself in a pickle, but the big reason why they couldn't trade him is because NY is asking too much in compensation due to his outlandish future price tag.   How many times did I suggest to you and moron Hurlie that the Jets were up the creek?

That means Tannenboob had weakened leverage before and this new GM is in a worse position because Revis is coming off a blown out ACL.

Yet, you sit on here casting aside their unbelievable hole as an organization to somehow try to manufacture this idea that NE is in a sketchy situation?    Do you have any idea how arrogant you are?

Edelman will be a cheap resign. He's not going anywhere.  Woodhead, Welker and Vollmer may all be gone. Vereen is Woodhead's replacement.  Ridley and Bolden look good to me.  Talib hopefully is resigned and I don't see Arrington being hard to resign unless someone steps in. If so, then see ya.  I have no issue with a tandem of Talib and Dennard s starters.  They're as good as a duo as you'll find in the AFC.

Every team faces FA questions every year and ours is no different. But, if you look at all the playoff teams or elite teams right now, NE is in the best shape of any of them.

The continued use of the the Jets 20 million over is just silly.  Uneducated fans love to try to pick out numbers to prove some point that doesn't exist.  The Jets have a tight cap, no doubt.  They are not, realistically, 20 million over.  The truth of their cap situation is this.  The are currently at about 147 mil.  Jason Smith is listed at 12 mil with no cap hit if he's cut.  He'll be cut. That makes 135 mil.  Bart Scott and Calvin Pace will net them 15 mil when they get cut, that's  gets them120.  Eric Smith getting cut will get them another 3 mil.  Here is where the Revis trade  does not make sense.  If he is traded, it will increase his cap hit by about 3 million.  Trading Cromartie after a great season will not only get them more in compensation than 1 year rental of Revis coming off surgery, but also decrease their cap by 8 to 10 million.   The problem the Jets will face will be having to once again replace their safeties, though Landry to a very good job for them in 2012 at a very cheap price, I expect that there will be some serious competition for his services in 2013 and the Jets will not be able to afford him.  Of course, with cutting Pace and Scott, they will then need to replace their starting LBs.  The fortunate thing about that for the Jets is that those guys were pretty poor run stoppers this year and almost anyone will be an upgrade.  With their cap credit from 2012, released/traded players the Jets will be between 105 and 110 million, but will need to replace a handful of starters, albeit, not very good ones.

This is not entirely different than sitting with 15 million to spend and having to sign a top CB, a top WR and a starting offensive lineman. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

we don't have to worry about the cap here very much because belichick does such a great job managing it. for teams like the jets its a different story. belichick is always looking ahead and doesn't do anything to shoot themselves in the foot. the jets on the other hand show no signs that they plan ahead. look at the tebow signing, they signed him without any idea how he would fit into their scheme. he turned out to be a distraction as expected and sat on the bench most of the season. they do a horrible job managing their cap and always struggle to meet it. 

Belichick is one of the best imo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yes, BB created a formula that is essentially fool proof and creates the opportunity for sustainability.

Yeah moron, the formula is called Brady.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Hello, my name is Rusty and because I read Pats Management Secrets Volume I and I, I not only fully understand the salary cap of the Patriots, but the entire NFL as well. I mean, hey I may not understand what a good defense is...and very specifically what a good corner or safety looks like, but I read dem books!! Or I should say, had my mother read them to me. Now despite the books, I still don't appreciate our quarterback and blame everything on him.

I put no blame on our 40 million dollar linebacker missing a tackle on Rice at the goal line (right in his arms too...darn), or our first round 260 pound linebacker that had the next shot at him (after he slowed down slightly from Mayo's "attempt"). I put no blame towards our secondary, despite allowing Flacco to have a career day in blazing winds...on the road. I put no blame in our pass rush either...that crap is overrated..I've been telling you all for years!! And Spikes whiffing on tight ends that run right in front of his face during simple pop warner pass paterns?? The warnings were out people! Pass coverage is overrated (just like the pass rush). In fact the whole concept of playing pass defense is a total farce...has been since the salary cap was implemented. Speaking of the cap...doesn't anyone know that we are all lucky to even have NFL football teams in business after the impending doom of the lockout? That was scary as hell - every team in the NFL (except ours) was supposed to go belly up...still don't understand why that never happened...unicorn magic maybe?

I'll tell you, once we rid ourselves of this Brady bum we will be a well balanced Super Bowl winning team again!! Our pass rush will improve...our coverage too!! Heck Mayo will shed blocks and make tackles on the outside! You'll see! You'll all see...

BRILLIANT! BRAVO!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Frank158's comment:

Priceless.

LMAO

The continued use of the the Jets 20 million over is just silly.  Uneducated fans love to try to pick out numbers to prove some point that doesn't exist.  The Jets have a tight cap, no doubt.  They are not, realistically, 20 million over.  The truth of their cap situation is this.  The are currently at about 147 mil.  Jason Smith is listed at 12 mil with no cap hit if he's cut.  He'll be cut. That makes 135 mil.  Bart Scott and Calvin Pace will net them 15 mil when they get cut, that's  gets them120.  Eric Smith getting cut will get them another 3 mil.  Here is where the Revis trade  does not make sense.  If he is traded, it will increase his cap hit by about 3 million.  Trading Cromartie after a great season will not only get them more in compensation than 1 year rental of Revis coming off surgery, but also decrease their cap by 8 to 10 million.   The problem the Jets will face will be having to once again replace their safeties, though Landry to a very good job for them in 2012 at a very cheap price, I expect that there will be some serious competition for his services in 2013 and the Jets will not be able to afford him.  Of course, with cutting Pace and Scott, they will then need to replace their starting LBs.  The fortunate thing about that for the Jets is that those guys were pretty poor run stoppers this year and almost anyone will be an upgrade.  With their cap credit from 2012, released/traded players the Jets will be between 105 and 110 million, but will need to replace a handful of starters, albeit, not very good ones.

This is not entirely different than sitting with 15 million to spend and having to sign a top CB, a top WR and a starting offensive lineman. 

BRILLIANT! BRAVO!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Yes, BB created a formula that is essentially fool proof and creates the opportunity for sustainability.

Yeah moron, the formula is called Brady.

BRILLIANT! BRAVO!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Brilliant?

It's brilliant for MORONS. You all enjoy one another. LOL

The rest of us will sit back and laugh at you.

the rest of who?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Brilliant?

the rest of who?

Him and the "voices".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Brilliant?

the rest of who?

Him and the "voices".

yes i forgot about those!

:  )

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Brilliant?

You know what the problem with the Jets is, dumbo? They have Mark Sanchez and NOT Tom Brady...that's it. You know what the problem is with the Dolphins? They don't have Tom Brady. You know what the problem is in Buffalo? They don't have Tom. Ask these teams why they haven't won anything in ten years and they'll be the first to tell you it's because of Tom Brady...not your dumb, little view on the salary cap. Any fool knows this, except you apparently.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Parcells is a moron in the cap era. He never did anything good whatsoever in terms of building a team as a GM. He failed with the Jets, Dallas (not all his fault) and Miami.

The Giants absolutely have not been drafting the same way at all since the 1970s.  The Raiders have, maybe the Cowboys, the Jets and all other poorly run teams who are still crappy.

BB invented salary allocation under a cap per position and it's worked swimmingly for over a decade.  The salary cap was not in existence when BB or Parcells were in with the NYGs.

Since Parcells and BB separated only one has proven to master the cap era's dynamics.  The genius himself, BB.  Not debatable anymore.  Christ, the Boston Bruins just won a Cup simply by Chiarelli mirroring what BB does with the Pats. Trade while stock is high, don't let the market play you, develop from within, etc. Parcells drafted low IQ, low character types and his salary allocation was horrendous.  The trade for Brandon Marshall and the money they paid him was an all time debacle for the ages and shows he had no clue.

Once you read Pats Management Secrets Volume I and II, you'll learn that these concepts started in Cleveland in 1991 once it was well know the salary cap would become a reality in 1993.  The proof is in the pudding.

NE is the franchise people try to copy, not the Giants. Absolute fact.  It's been corroborated over and over for years now.

I actually think BB once was a cap genuis. When the cap was set up in a way that good players (like Vrabel) would get cut for salary reasons no one was better at finding those "value" guys. I am not sure that he has had the same luck since.

Who has come in from another team via free agency and really thrived in NE since the days of Seau and the Harrison? He has brought in a handful of big names (Adilius Thomas, Rosie Colvin) and plenty of reclamation projects that flopped (Haynesworth, Ochocinco). Even the 'value' free agents  (Fanene, Gregory) have not really panned out. Lloyd actually did better than most putting up his second best season in terms of reception, third best in terms of yards, sixth best in TDs and a career low in yards per catch.

So long as you measure success by any metric other than championships the Patriots are the most successful team from 2005-2012. What team has won a Super Bowl using the "Patriot" model if teams like the Steelers and Giants do not use it? They account for half of the Super Bowl titles since 2004. That leaves the Packers, the Saints, the Colts and who ever wins this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

BB invented salary allocation under a cap per position and it's worked swimmingly for over a decade.  The salary cap was not in existence when BB or Parcells were in with the NYGs.

Since Parcells and BB separated only one has proven to master the cap era's dynamics.  The genius himself, BB.  Not debatable anymore.  Christ, the Boston Bruins just won a Cup simply by Chiarelli mirroring what BB does with the Pats. Trade while stock is high, don't let the market play you, develop from within, etc. Parcells drafted low IQ, low character types and his salary allocation was horrendous.  The trade for Brandon Marshall and the money they paid him was an all time debacle for the ages and shows he had no clue.

ps. The Bruins won a cup because Tim Thomas played out of his mind for two months. If not for half a dozen David Tyree catch type saves they would have been out in the first round versus Montreal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

ps. The Bruins won a cup because Tim Thomas played out of his mind for two months. If not for half a dozen David Tyree catch type saves they would have been out in the first round versus Montreal.

now hockey gms are copying bellichick too

oh boy...

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I have condensed the part about the elephant in the room. Please explain to me how 1 player taking 25% of the cap space in 2014 is healthy and great planning by BB the GM?

The million dollar question is what do the Patriots do with Tom Brady. Last year they restructured his contract to gain operating cap room, but it is now time to pay the bill as his cap has risen from about $18 million to $21.8 million in both 2013 and 2014. The team has two options. They could approach Brady again about a restructure, but with just one year remaining on his contract past 2013 could they really gain much? Brady is set to earn $15 million in cash payments in 2013, of which they could turn $14 million or so into a prorated bonus if they desired. That would save the team $7 million in cap room but blow his 2014 figure up to an astronomical $28.5 million. They could convert his $5 million dollar roster bonus into a signing bonus and free up $2.5 million which is more reasonable, but does little to the overall cap in 2013. What makes things even more risky with such a move is that Brady’s 2014 salary fully guarantees if he is on the roster for the final regular season game of the 2013 season so there is no out at all from the $28.5 million number the next year. With Brady approaching 36 years of age he may not want to restructure and instead look for a new contract to give the team cap relief.

A new contract gives New England more breathing room, but by doing that they will commit to Brady until he is probably 42 years old adding 5 years onto his current contract. With Drew Brees earning $100 million over 5 years that’s the market he has to earn. With 2 years and $30 million remaining you are looking at a deal that will measure 7 years and $130+ million with over $40 million in firm guarantees. I think it’s a decision the Patriots need to make this year because the longer they delay it the more difficult it becomes to justify with the age and the cap hits. Waiting until 38 just doesn’t seem like an option unless they feel that they can shortchange him by waiting the two years.