is B Spikes a good enough player to march to the beat of his own drummer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

is B Spikes a good enough player to march to the beat of his own drummer?

not too many players have been good enough to not conform to the Patriot way. One has to think the drafting of Collins, Hightower, Beauharnais the past 2 seasons do not bode well for Spikes..

there have been rumblings of Lloyd marching to his own beat...MOss IMO conformed to the Patriot way, ditto Ocho...I cant think of too many players over the past few years that have not?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

Re: is B Spikes a good enough player to march to the beat of his own drummer?

In response to rkarp's comment:

not too many players have been good enough to not conform to the Patriot way. One has to think the drafting of Collins, Hightower, Beauharnais the past 2 seasons do not bode well for Spikes..

there have been rumblings of Lloyd marching to his own beat...MOss IMO conformed to the Patriot way, ditto Ocho...I cant think of too many players over the past few years that have not?

I don't think Spikes get resigned after this year unless he has a breakout year. The problem with Spikes is he is slow and can't cover which means he comes off the field on third down.  And as you mentioned, he marches to his own drummer which is never a good thing when you play for BB. However, I like the toughness that Spikes brings to the team. He's the type of player that you would expect to see playing for the Ravens in that regard. I think its important that the Patriots have a few players like that and I personally hope they keep Spikes. There must have been 4 or 5 games last year where he delivered bone jarring hits creating turnovers. Who else do the Partroits have that offer that toughness?  

Innocent

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

roman pfifer spikes is not...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I dunno. Is he considered good now?

He's one of the few Patriot players who show intensity on the field, he can hit like a ton of bricks, and appears to be an impact player (meaning he has some timely hits, creates turnovers).

I'm not sure how good he is in coverage - and because of his aggressiveness when trying to make a big play behind the line of scrimmage - he sometimes chooses the wrong hole.

That being said, I think the writing may be on the wall that he will be gone next year.

Personally, I'd like to see him re-signed as I think the Patriots need more playmakers on defense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

CSN New England expects the Patriots and MLB Brandon Spikes to "part ways" after 2013.

Spikes is entering the final year of his rookie contract, and he hasn't participated in the conditioning phase or OTAs. Spikes is a stud against the run, but needs to cut down on penalties. If Spikes does reach 2014 free agency, he'll be a hot item as a ferocious downhill run plugger at age 26.   Source: CSN New England May 22 - 10:07 AM

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Bedard was on Meter Radio Boston the other day talking Pats football.  Bedard had this to say about Spikes....

Bedard says Brandon Spikes is a perfect MLB for the NFL...15 years ago. The Pats have been disappointed in Spikes' play & for not becoming a stronger leader in the locker room. Bedard thinks the locker room got away from BB a little last year and Spikes, Deaderick, Love and Lloyd were all a part of the locker room issues. Letting Deaderick, Love and Lloyd go was BB cracking the whip. Love was better as a backup to VW than Kelly will be but Love's personality wasn't right for the Pats. Kelly can be as good or better but he has real motor and inconsistency issues.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Bedard was on Meter Radio Boston the other day talking Pats football.  Bedard had this to say about Spikes....

Bedard says Brandon Spikes is a perfect MLB for the NFL...15 years ago. The Pats have been disappointed in Spikes' play & for not becoming a stronger leader in the locker room. Bedard thinks the locker room got away from BB a little last year and Spikes, Deaderick, Love and Lloyd were all a part of the locker room issues. Letting Deaderick, Love and Lloyd go was BB cracking the whip. Love was better as a backup to VW than Kelly will be but Love's personality wasn't right for the Pats. Kelly can be as good or better but he has real motor and inconsistency issues.

Now that's an interesting comment. If Kelley is viewed as the backup than who's the starter?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

For Spikes, I think he's an anchor in the run defense and I see Collins, Hightower and Beau as more of outside the T's type of players who can move inside if need be. Really Spikes is the only pure MLB I see on the team that normally is looking for 4 solid LB's regardless of formation. With that being said, if it's a locker room issue and a personality conflict than that's a reason I can see them letting him go, but not because of play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In short, no.  He's a good player who hasn't the veteran credibility to do his own thing based on his inability to stay on the field.  If he played 16 games every year and was unquestionably an offseason workout warrior, then yes, by all means, do your own thing.  I think the point is moot because if he has a big year he will be overpaid to be a 2 down linebacker somewhere else.  He's a nice to have not a need to have kind of player to me.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

For Spikes, I think he's an anchor in the run defense and I see Collins, Hightower and Beau as more of outside the T's type of players who can move inside if need be. Really Spikes is the only pure MLB I see on the team that normally is looking for 4 solid LB's regardless of formation. With that being said, if it's a locker room issue and a personality conflict than that's a reason I can see them letting him go, but not because of play.

Yeah, I like Spikes as a player, and to me from the outside looking in it seems like Spikes has been a team guy.  But I guess I am wrong about that as Bedard would certainly know a lot more about that then I would and apparently he is a problem guy.  That doesn't bode well for him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

that really is what I am asking....BB will live with a problem guy if his on field performance warrants it. Does Spikes?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

that really is what I am asking....BB will live with a problem guy if his on field performance warrants it. Does Spikes?

I'm not so sure about that. I mean plenty of players who perferred on the field have been kicked off the team because of locker room issues or conflicts with BB: Law, Milloy, Seymour, Moss, Thomas, Lloyd. Even smaller names but productive players in their role: Deadrick, Love being most recent have been booted from the team. Now the smaller guys get overlooked because their production is easier to replace but BB will only tolerate locker room issues to the point that he feels he's losing some control then at that point I don't think it matters what you do on the field he'll let you go. Spikes has good enough production to remain a 2 down starter imo, but if there is a locker room issue I don't think even if he was a pro-bowler that BB would keep him on the team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I'm not so sure about that. I mean plenty of players who perferred on the field have been kicked off the team because of locker room issues or conflicts with BB: Law, Milloy, Seymour, Moss, Thomas, Lloyd. Even smaller names but productive players in their role: Deadrick, Love being most recent have been booted from the team. Now the smaller guys get overlooked because their production is easier to replace but BB will only tolerate locker room issues to the point that he feels he's losing some control then at that point I don't think it matters what you do on the field he'll let you go. Spikes has good enough production to remain a 2 down starter imo, but if there is a locker room issue I don't think even if he was a pro-bowler that BB would keep him on the team.

I have a feeling these players you listed including Law and Moss never changed their boorishness...their performance regressed, making the drama not worth it

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I have a feeling these players you listed including Law and Moss never changed their boorishness...their performance regressed, making the drama not worth it

Moss deffinately regressed but Law and Seymour were still at the top of their game. 03' might have been one of Laws best years and 04' before the foot injury he was still having an above average year. Even the next 2 years after he had high performance. Seymour, though not statistically, was having one of the best seasons of his career with the Pats right before he was traded. And what about Milloy who was still at the top of his game when the Pats let him go?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Moss deffinately regressed but Law and Seymour were still at the top of their game. 03' might have been one of Laws best years and 04' before the foot injury he was still having an above average year. Even the next 2 years after he had high performance. Seymour, though not statistically, was having one of the best seasons of his career with the Pats right before he was traded. And what about Milloy who was still at the top of his game when the Pats let him go?

were Sey and Law more contractual issues? Wasnt Milloy duplication to Rodney?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

If this is true, that's five average players that were causing problems - you can throw in Chung as well - at least the Chung problems were reported by the media last year. I think it's time to discount anything Belichick says regarding an individual player to the media (he sang Love's praise last year). I don't think there's enough leadership on the defensive side of the ball - the only guy I can picture giving any is Wilfork. Who do these young guys look up to? Talib? We don't sign proven veteran players...a guy like Steven Gregory or Jonathan Fenene is just not going to cut it. Perhaps Kelly will be the answer or Wilson?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Spikes is a one dimensional player plain and simple. He is a stud against the run who brings tremendous emotion to the D when he is engaged. 

He is a liability against the pass and contributes bupkus on special teams.

BB and the Pat's are not going to hand out a multi year contract to a one dimensional locker room problem.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Spikes reminds me of Brian Cox.  Good but not great, very physical, tone setter with thunderous hits, and a little slow and not good in coverage.  Cox also walked to the beat of his own drummer, and played on 5 different teams because of it. 

Spikes is good, has promise and is very fun to watch.  He has that rare ability to greatly intimidate.  Is he good enough to skip OTA's, make bone headed tweets, and not get in lock step with his teammates?  No.  As much as I hate to say it, the writing is most certainly on the wall.  This is BB we're talking about afterall. 

Actually I take that back.  Cox put up monster numbers in his first few years, something that Spikes has yet to do.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

Spikes reminds me of Brian Cox.  Good but not great, very physical, tone setter with thunderous hits, and a little slow and not good in coverage.  Cox also walked to the beat of his own drummer, and played on 5 different teams because of it. 

Spikes is good, has promise and is very fun to watch.  He has that rare ability to greatly intimidate.  Is he good enough to skip OTA's, make bone headed tweets, and not get in lock step with his teammates?  No.  As much as I hate to say it, the writing is most certainly on the wall.  This is BB we're talking about afterall. 

Very well written.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I remember that crazy thing he was doing after a fumble. That was stinkin funny!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

For some reason I don't think the hooded-one is too much into funny.....