Is Butler the worst corner in a decade???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Is Butler the worst corner in a decade???

With all of the sorry yahoo's we've had attempting, and I mean attempting to play corner, is this guy the worst? What really sealed it for me, is I took another look at the replay of the Jets TD where this "hero" is trying to cover the complete idiot that is Braylon Edwards 1 on 1, Butler actually turns to see where tha ball is, (Not the usual turn my back to the play and let's see what happens) and he watches Sanchez throw the ball to Edwards. It honestly looks like this  on Ice Skates. He is all over the place. He cannot do the job!!!!! He just plain stinks!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moongirl. Show moongirl's posts

Re: Is Butler the worst corner in a decade???

It's only his 2nd game of the season, in his 2nd year! Give the guy a chance.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

No, but jozee76 is the worst poster of the 21st century.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

can we stop this. Butler is a second year CORNER BACK in a PASSING LEAGUE.

for the record, Deltha O'Neal or Duane Starks take this title as worst Pats corner.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from barcolounga. Show barcolounga's posts

In Response to Re: Is Butler the worst corner in a decade???:
    [QUOTE]can we stop this. Butler is a second year CORNER BACK in a PASSING LEAGUE. for the record, Deltha O'Neal or Duane Starks take this title as worst Pats corner.
    Posted by btownteamsrking[/QUOTE]
    I'd have to say Starks. Or maybe Wilhite.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In Response to Is Butler the worst corner in a decade???:
    [QUOTE]With all of the sorry yahoo's we've had attempting, and I mean attempting to play corner, is this guy the worst? What really sealed it for me, is I took another look at the replay of the Jets TD where this "hero" is trying to cover the complete idiot that is Braylon Edwards 1 on 1, Butler actually turns to see where tha ball is, (Not the usual turn my back to the play and let's see what happens) and he watches Sanchez throw the ball to Edwards. It honestly looks like this  on Ice Skates. He is all over the place. He cannot do the job!!!!! He just plain stinks!!!!!!
    Posted by jozee76[/QUOTE]
    I don't know if he is the worst - the Pats seem to have cornered the market on appalling DB's since Ty Law. He is another shocking BB draft choice though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

You know what makes sense? Keep poking at the confidence of a second year DB and see if that will make him feel or play better. What about Brady, was that second half performance the worst in a decade? YES!

It's called growing pains, he'll make mistakes. As you yourself have stated, he had position on the play, he had the coverage, he had everything down pact, but Edwards is just taller than him. The guy has 'it', but it takes a while for 'it' to come all together. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Supernova13. Show Supernova13's posts

I live in Michigan, so I have to watch the Lions play. Butler would be their top corner, so stop complaining. He is young, and will eventually figure it out. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]You know what makes sense? Keep poking at the confidence of a second year DB and see if that will make him feel or play better. What about Brady, was that second half performance the worst in a decade? YES! It's called growing pains, he'll make mistakes. As you yourself have stated, he had position on the play, he had the coverage, he had everything down pact, but Edwards is just taller than him. The guy has 'it', but it takes a while for 'it' to come all together. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Why do we keep drafting midgets for the secondary? Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

18 Games in and ready to move on...are you Rick Pitino?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

not even close...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Not trying to be cute. I've been around here for a while. And that had to be the numbest post title I've ever seen seen.

Butler is a solid young SECOND YEAR corner that is experiencing some growing pains- whih are being magnified by the fact the defense gets zero pressure on the opossing QBs

Butler has a ton of potential. Get a grip.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

One of the main reasons BB goes for short CBs if not most important, is that they tend to have much better rotation of the hips allowing them to still face toward whatever they are looking at and the lower body can swivel back and forth while the legs are crossing keeping the player balanced and upright, where the taller CBs tend to be more tight.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Butler is young.  He will learn and get better.  By seasons end the secondary will be very good.  This is a young group that is going to have bad games.  They also will have good ones.  Why not give him a pass on this game.  I still think it all starts with the pass rush.  No DB in the league can cover a receiver when the Quarterback has all day to look around.  The Patriots need to figure out how to get to the quarterback.  Sanchez was rolling out too often and not being pressured.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from John413. Show John413's posts

[QUOTE]...he had the coverage, he had everything down pact, but Edwards is just taller than him.  
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

That's kind of amusing.  I guess we're supposed to hope that Butler grows another 6-8 inches?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from John413. Show John413's posts

[QUOTE]One of the main reasons BB goes for short CBs if not most important, is that they tend to have much better rotation of the hips allowing them to still face toward whatever they are looking at and the lower body can swivel back and forth while the legs are crossing keeping the player balanced and upright, where the taller CBs tend to be more tight.
    Posted by quasi[/QUOTE]

Rotating hips sounds like we're looking to sign Brian Boitano.

Just a crazy thought, but maybe we should get guys who can defend passes, cover WRs, get a pick now and then.  Or, we could keep going with the hip thing, either way.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Give the guy a chance to grow into the position.  How many starts does he have?  Was he expected to be a starting CB?  Debateable, the Bodden injury thrust him into the spotlight.  Young CBs always struggle, with very few exceptions. 

Some of you guys want to come here and scream that players stink so you can corner the market on negative posts.  You're the type that love to say "I told you he sux" or "BB can't draft" rather than waiting a bit to see what shakes out.  The worst part of being a Boston sports fan is that for 75% of fans it's all about what the player has just done rather than the body of work.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Yeah, how come he's not a pro bowler yet, its already his second year.  Stupid time in here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Wow one game, there are very few CBs who are pro bowl players within their first three years.  One of the best of all times really liked this kid when he was been drafted.  Prime time did nothing but talk how good this kid was going to be.  He will be fine, yes it was a very bad game and came against the hated notyets asking if he's the worst in a decade is ridiculous.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pdw3332. Show pdw3332's posts

Message board trheads like this one gives Pats fans a bad name.  Butler is a very promising young CB.  Is he short?  No, not by today's CB standards.  CB need to be fast AND quick...generally you can not find 6 foot plus guys who are both.  Look around the league, most corners are about 5'10" or LESS.  It has become an increasingly difficult position to fill over the years, since WRs have been getting bigger.  Playing CB, if broken down to it's simplest terms is two things:
    1) being in position to either make a play on the ball or discourage the throw
    2) if thrown at makinga  play on the ball

Butler and McCourty were both in position Sunday....they just didn't make strong enough plays on the ball and paid the price from two big expeirenced physical WRs in Edwards and Cotchery.  Young CB often have to learn that WRs iin the NFL are very idfferent than WRs in college.  WRs in NFL go get the ball, so just being in postion and making a decent play on the ball is not enough.  The encouraging part is they are in position, they just ened to make a play on the ball.  Don't forget, Darrel Revis was a good young CB in 2007 who got torched by the Pats in game 1.  Ty Law did not become a great CB overnight.  Assante Samuel (still not great) was very inconsistent his first 3 years.  Bottom line, unless you are a Deon Sanders, Rod Woodson, Mike Haynes kind of freak, you generally do not come into the NFL and be a top CB right away...it takes time, especially in today's NFL where WRs ae bigger and the rules are enforced to provide an advanatge to the offense.          

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I have to agree with the majority here, give the kid a chance; give the D a chance. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

[QUOTE]No, but jozee76 is the worst poster of the 21st century.
    Posted by bobomul[/QUOTE]

Wow, is that intelligent! What a bunch of bozo's!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

[QUOTE]18 Games in and ready to move on...are you Rick Pitino?
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I am!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

2 words.  ELLIS HOBBS. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Just another fair weather fan who is panicing. Seriously....relax. Give this kid a chance to shine, it just doesn't happen over night. Young defense means we will experience some growing pains....stop acting so spoiled. News flash....we will not win the superbowl every year. Some of these posts amaze me.