Is Edelman Done?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jason4444444. Show Jason4444444's posts

Is Edelman Done?

I have been a big fan of Julian since his punt return for a TD in his first preseason game and when he filled in for Welker later in that year. Lately the only time he is on the field it seems is for punt returns with no big play (should have had one a few weeks ago but got called back.) Welker also seemed to be doing it later in the game this past week. This year everytime he has had an opportunity to make a big play on offense he seems to fail. In the GB game he let a third down pass that would have extended the drive bounce off his hands and Brady seems to be getting pissed off at him. I know that this is only his second full season as a WR but is this something to give up on now?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

Re: Is Edelman Done?

At the beginning of the season, I would have told you that this was a crazy post.  Edelman looked very promising last year filling in for Welker, and I think this brought great expectations for him into this season.  Unfortunately for him, he has been virtually invisible this year.  I understand that he is buried under more experienced recievers on the depth chart, and has made minor contributions as a punt returner, but he has let his limited opportunities at reciever "slip through his hands."  Like most of you, I really like this guy's potential, but when you look at the opportunities upcoming in next year's draft, with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, you have to wonder if Julian will be one of the roster spots that gets replaced. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In all fairness, that was a tipped pass and it was out of his reach, off his fingertips.  I replayed it. Most of the other catches he has dropped this season have been really tough catches to make, even for a converted QB.

That aside, he is probably the least productive active player on the offense.

He did have a good return in the game in which his TD return was called back.

He is the no. 3 QB. 

Devon Hester took a few years to become an adequate receiver, converted from a CB. But he is the greatest return man ever, so the Bears could afford to give him extra time to learn WR.

I know Edleman is coming off a an injury.  Then again, so is Welker.

Frankly, we fans just don't have enough info to fortell his future, IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

No! He's working hard but things are just not going his way. He'll break one of these punt returns soon and catch a big 3rd down pass. Just wait and see. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

I'm not a fan of Edelman.  He is limited.  Tries hard but he will not be on this roster in 2011.

I guess my biggest bone of contention is people lumping him in with Welker and Woodhead as if he is worthy of such praise.  I find it to be unknowingly race ignorant.  I think Branch, Faulk and BJGE are much better suited for the compliment of undersized players who contribute to the Pats than Edelman.  For one thing, they've actually contributed on a regular basis to this team in 2010 (Faulk has earned it via his 12 yr career)

I think its time we put this Blanco Trifecta to bed once and for all.  It just looks bad and its not really accurate to boot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

In Response to Re: Is Edelman Done?:
    [QUOTE]I'm not a fan of Edelman.  He is limited.  Tries hard but he will not be on this roster in 2011. I guess my biggest bone of contention is people lumping him in with Welker and Woodhead as if he is worthy of such praise.  I find it to be unknowingly race ignorant.  I think Branch, Faulk and BJGE are much better suited for the compliment of undersized players who contribute to the Pats than Edelman.  For one thing, they've actually contributed on a regular basis to this team in 2010 (Faulk has earned it via his 12 yr career) I think its time we put this Blanco Trifecta to bed once and for all.  It just looks bad and its not really accurate to boot.
    Posted by LatenightOwl[/QUOTE]

I knew they were short but being blanco also. Who imagine that!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

ya he just ran one back on a punt return that got called back...because flethcher got a phantom holding call...  hes all done...

he is the 4th reciever on a deep team that is 11-2... he is a second year player...he is the primary punt returner...   ask troy brown how much time he got when he was a second year player...

come on man!!(espn)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeB68. Show JoeB68's posts

You never can tell with Bill B. I think Edelman might be hurting still???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I think it's a bit too early to write this guy off. Sure, he hasn't exactly shined this year, but he did have a return for a TD which was called back due to a penalty. Didn't they keep Bethel Johnson for three seasons? I'm sure the real question is whether they will have 53 guys they like more to keep on the roster. And if they go to an 18 game season they are most likely going to increase that number. At the very least he has earned the right to compete for a spot next summer!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He has a total of  4  catches in 2010 with 9 balls thrown his way.  He has 2 dropped TD's as part of his 5 drops.  Special...No   Good...No  OK...No  Horrible...Yes.

This guy had one descent game last year and yet he's playing with house money with most fans....I don't get it.  The ball wasn't tipped even Simm's said it should of been caught.

I'll put it this way.  His production, or lack there of, leads me to the conclusion that he's not that good of a Receiver.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

They probably rushed him back after the concussion. He didn't even miss a game. Also, hard to get in a rythm in such sporatic playing time, especially for a qb. Last year he got steady playing time. I wouldn't write him off yet. If his td last week wasn't called back, this thread wouldn't even exist.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Not sure what brought the discussion on but if it was the pass that went off his hands in the red zone against the Packers, sorry thats all on Brady.

If your an elite QB and your WR is WIDEOPEN, you don't gun one off his outstrectched hands.

Not the greatest poise or accuracy on that particular throw by Brady.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

He knows the system and he has skill so if there's room on the roster he'll be kept for depth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

He had a few bad games in his second year. Clearly he is a bust. They should cut him immediately before he drags the rest of the team down to his level.

He's probably the worst player in the history of the NFL. No second year player worth anything has ever had a few bad games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Tcal, the pass was tipped.  Simms was wrong.  Even the the guys on the NFLN called it tipped.  I replayed it and you can see the ball change direction off of a defender's hand.

I am not saying Edleman is good.  But he has not had a lot of good balls thrown to him.  It seems like every catch would have to be great. Coming from a converted QB in his second year, with little playing time, it's hard to expect great things just yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

How quickly we forget he was a QB in college, a QB!.  However, training camp will dictate his role next year.  The guy is a deadly punt returner and that cannot be underestimated to BB, who is all about special teams.  Once again, to reiterate the fact he is number 3-4 on the WR depth chart. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In Response to Re: Is Edelman Done?:
    [QUOTE]Tcal, the pass was tipped.  Simms was wrong.  Even the the guys on the NFLN called it tipped.  I replayed it and you can see the ball change direction off of a defender's hand. I am not saying Edleman is good.  But he has not had a lot of good balls thrown to him.  It seems like every catch would have to be great. Coming from a converted QB in his second year, with little playing time, it's hard to expect great things just yet.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

chris, I didn't see the tip and there was no replay shown so I was going by what I thought I saw and what Simms said. 

I think the sample size is large enough now to safely state that College QB's don't make for productive Professional WR's, especially when they drop 56% of the ball thrown to them.  I just don't feel that Sundays during football season is the proper time for young players to learn how to play a position.  I'll be shocked if Brady throws another ball his way this year and if he does he better catch it.

Then again I'm not the coach and what I think really doesn't matter, just my opinion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

I'm one of Edelman's biggest fans...  I thought the dude looked like a Wes Welker Clone in Pre-season... but he's had a pretty disappointing year so far.

However, that pass over the middle (this week) should have been thrown to Gronkowski... because of his height and great hands it would have been an easy TD...

I think Edelman's had some poor throws his way and they are using him in the wrong situations this year.

They should using him with screen passes and the type of plays they were having success in pre-season.

That throw over the middle right into coverage on the goal line about a month ago almost got him killed....

Hopefully he'll have some better luck going forward... I hope they don't give up on him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

Just saw this...

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2010/12/21/whats-up-with-julian-edelman-and-taylor-price-receivers-coach-chad-oshea-provides-some-answers/

Hopefully he get's some more opportunities and makes the best of them... I think the dude has some talent... maybe his luck will improve...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Where is he on the depth chart ? Below Tate ? The rise of the offensive production from the TE spot (includes Hernandez at WR) has put players like Tate and Edelman at lower points on the depth chart as opposed to when Welker was injured. Hernandez and Gronk have proven to be killer possession players. I have no idea what Hernandez's YAC is, but he almost always eludes the first tackler and gets some serious YAC. Look at Gronk's catch with Urlacher all over him; I like Edelman, but I doubt he makes that play. I am happy with Edelman and Tate returning kicks and punts because they are elusive speed guys who are low on the WR depth (addition of Branch)chart. They still have their function on the team it's just not what it was a season ago for Edelman and Tate is still learning the routes that Branch already knows by heart. They still contribute, just in different ways. I don't think Edelman is done; his role in this offense has changed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

When Welker was injured last year he showed great promise. Now he is used only sparingly and his drops seem to have been over the middle in the second half of games  If they are going to work him into the mix, give him a chance early on some high % ball, so as to give him some confidence. My fear is that this tendency to drop balls spills over to his punt return duties. That could be catastrophic!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I think he can do a lot of things, and I'm guessing he is the emergency quarterback option.  So he can free up that spot, plays special teams, and receiver.  That makes him valuable beyond his somewhat un-shiny receiving skills.  My guess is he gets to stay.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaeD. Show JaeD's posts

The pass in the GB game was way over his head, not that he shouldn't have caught some others this year, but one thing that gets overlooked is his blocking ability.  He's a versitile guy and if he can get a little better at catching the tough balls I think he'll be around for a while.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I hate to say it but he hasn't taken advantage of his opportunities and I think he is done. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I don't think he's done by a long shot.  Look at Mike Reiss's breakdown of formations after every game and it's pretty apparent why he isn't playing, and that reason is that he has two guys in front of him in Branch and Welker that he can't unseat.  The groupings where there are 3 or 4 WRs on the field are limited, and when there are more than 2 WRs, a guy like Tate plays more on the outside to be the deep threat. 

I think it's the evolution of the offense more than anything.  That and the fact that Woodhead has assumed Faulk's position more than ably means that Edelman is the forgotten man.  In fairness to him, his limited offensive involvement seems to have hurt his production with some untimely drops.  But maybe if he made the plays he was supposed to, they'd go to him more. 

I think he'll have some role for the foreseeable future since he can play special teams.