Is Geno Smith a bust?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Is Geno Smith a bust?

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I dont know how his career will shake out but there is too much smack talking in this thread for a guy who beat our team.

[/QUOTE]

Hunh? We are talking about Genobust, not that official who flagged the mickey mouse push on the missed FG.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to WeDerrWEDAT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am glad that some of you grasp what is going on with the Jets.  Yeah, Jets fans would love for Geno to come in and play lights out from day one.  Yeah, the pick 6s are terrible.  Hopefully he can improve but I see us drafting another QB next year.  How the staff feels about Geno will determine what rd we go QB in.

A couple of positives I see from Geno's situation:

1. It isnt all his fault--look at who he is throwing the ball to every week.  Not exactly an all star cast

2. Less coddling--Rex looks like he learned his lesson from the Sanchez era. 

3. Taking shots deep--even with our sorry cast of WR we are still letting Geno take his shots.  I think that making Sanchez exclusively manage a game hurt his developement.  Allowing Geno to play and learn may help his developement.

Geno may never be a good/great QB.  Time will tell and you will know what the coaching staff thinks of him during the draft.  He was our 3rd pick of the draft so if he winds up being a capable back up, so be it.  Just too early to tell right now.

[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, he's currently rated 32nd. But you're optimistic?

[/QUOTE]

in general, i am an optimistic person so yeah.  Why not?  Other QBs have had worse 10 game stretches and have gone on to successful NFL careers.  Ideally, I would have liked for Geno to start the season on the bench but it is what it is.  He is out there making mistakes in live games for all fans to see.  i dont see him getting rattled or down.  Seems even keel and a hard worker.  He is also intelligent.  We will see how he does, so far he does well against weak defenses and struggles against the tougher ones.  Kind of what you expect from a rookie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I am glad that some of you grasp what is going on with the Jets.  Yeah, Jets fans would love for Geno to come in and play lights out from day one.  Yeah, the pick 6s are terrible.  Hopefully he can improve but I see us drafting another QB next year.  How the staff feels about Geno will determine what rd we go QB in.

A couple of positives I see from Geno's situation:

1. It isnt all his fault--look at who he is throwing the ball to every week.  Not exactly an all star cast

2. Less coddling--Rex looks like he learned his lesson from the Sanchez era. 

3. Taking shots deep--even with our sorry cast of WR we are still letting Geno take his shots.  I think that making Sanchez exclusively manage a game hurt his developement.  Allowing Geno to play and learn may help his developement.

Geno may never be a good/great QB.  Time will tell and you will know what the coaching staff thinks of him during the draft.  He was our 3rd pick of the draft so if he winds up being a capable back up, so be it.  Just too early to tell right now.

[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, he's currently rated 32nd. But you're optimistic?

[/QUOTE]

in general, i am an optimistic person so yeah.  Why not?  Other QBs have had worse 10 game stretches and have gone on to successful NFL careers.  Ideally, I would have liked for Geno to start the season on the bench but it is what it is.  He is out there making mistakes in live games for all fans to see.  i dont see him getting rattled or down.  Seems even keel and a hard worker.  He is also intelligent.  We will see how he does, so far he does well against weak defenses and struggles against the tougher ones.  Kind of what you expect from a rookie.

[/QUOTE]

This is the poor jets fan's plight - always hoping things will get better. That nitwit owner needs to learn that you demand things get better - NOW - or heads start rolling. Both Sanchez and Geno were poor picks and most people warned that they were before they were picked.

I'm glad the jets keep pissing resources down the tube instead of pooling them and going for the top shelf.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Tom Brady didn't have "weapons" in 2006 when Reche Caldwell was his leading receiver and Faulk, Maroney, Troy Brown all missing significant time with injuries... all Tom did was lead his team to the AFC championship game.

Andrew Luck took a 2-14 Colts team and turned them into an 11-5 team carrying them on his back... a little perspective.

Smith is a career 67% completion guy in college, he averaged 65% in the Big East, you can take that and knock about 10% off and you'll know how he'll project as a pro QB.  

A career 60% thrower with weapons and less without, in other words he'll be Mark Sanchez; mediocre. Which is actually a step up for the abysmal Jests...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

I dont know how his career will shake out but there is too much smack talking in this thread for a guy who beat our team. I dont get it. You wanna call a guy a bust the same year he beat our team so what does that say about our D?

Im with Rkarp, give the guy some time. His weapons are S.Hill and S.Holmes. The guy was SB mvp like 10 years ago. Its like having Branch 2012 and Bethel Johnson. I dont like the jets but I dont hate anything. You guys hate clouds your common sense.

Like Rkarp said, are you gonna Collins a bust? and dont tell me about talent in front of him. Mayo is out and Spikes and Hightower are slow and one dimensional and you tell me there is no place for an athletic 2nd rd backer???!!!  Wow

Dont choke on the kool aid guys. You making real pats fan look bad. Stop it. I dont care what he did vs anyone else, I just know he beat us so why are we talking? cuz we got a better record? thats weak. Just ignore the trolls

[/QUOTE]

No doubt there is a possibility he doesn't turn out to be a bust. As you said time will tell. That being said i will go by what my eyes tell me.

using your example of the fact that the Jets beat the pats with him at QB i would suggest he is most likely in the same category as such luminous QB's that have beaten Pats...Mark Sanchez, Kevin kolb, Ryan fitzpatrick, Colt Mccoy, chad henne... my eyes tell me he will be more like those Qb's. i could be wrong and as you said time will tell.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

[QUOTE]

I dont know how his career will shake out but there is too much smack talking in this thread for a guy who beat our team. I dont get it. You wanna call a guy a bust the same year he beat our team so what does that say about our D?

Im with Rkarp, give the guy some time. His weapons are S.Hill and S.Holmes. The guy was SB mvp like 10 years ago. Its like having Branch 2012 and Bethel Johnson. I dont like the jets but I dont hate anything. You guys hate clouds your common sense.

Like Rkarp said, are you gonna Collins a bust? and dont tell me about talent in front of him. Mayo is out and Spikes and Hightower are slow and one dimensional and you tell me there is no place for an athletic 2nd rd backer???!!!  Wow

Dont choke on the kool aid guys. You making real pats fan look bad. Stop it. I dont care what he did vs anyone else, I just know he beat us so why are we talking? cuz we got a better record? thats weak. Just ignore the trolls

No doubt there is a possibility he doesn't turn out to be a bust. As you said time will tell. That being said i will go by what my eyes tell me.

using your example of the fact that the Jets beat the pats with him at QB i would suggest he is most likely in the same category as such luminous QB's that have beaten Pats...Mark Sanchez, Kevin kolb, Ryan fitzpatrick, Colt Mccoy, chad henne... my eyes tell me he will be more like those Qb's. i could be wrong and as you said time will tell.

[/QUOTE]

Thats fine but for every QB that doesnt turn out to be Manning or Brady, is that really a bust?  I mean those guys can have productive careers. Manning and Brady are the exception.

Guys you can just plug and play for the next 15 years and get titles are like every 10 years. A.Dalton is leading his team and having success but thats because he has a great D, so is A.Dalton that much better than a Fitzpatrick? I dont think so, The guy has nothing around him. lets see what he can do with nfl talent around him. Im not gonna make a crazy statement that will come back to bite me, h3ll the jets could still win the division. ONe week at a time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats fine but for every QB that doesnt turn out to be Manning or Brady, is that really a bust?  I mean those guys can have productive careers. Manning and Brady are the exception.

Guys you can just plug and play for the next 15 years and get titles are like every 10 years. A.Dalton is leading his team and having success but thats because he has a great D, so is A.Dalton that much better than a Fitzpatrick? I dont think so, The guy has nothing around him. lets see what he can do with nfl talent around him. Im not gonna make a crazy statement that will come back to bite me, h3ll the jets could still win the division. ONe week at a time.

[/QUOTE]

So then the question becomes... is he going to develop in the same class as Kaepernick, wilson, stafford, Ryan, Newton, RGIII, Smith or even locker?

as far as winning the division anything is possible. Qb's like Matt Schaub win divisions but for the most part it is a product of how good the D was. If the Jet D continues to improve and adds a few more pieces they could win a division in spite of Smith. they did it with Sanchez.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

After 10 games he has 8 TDs and 16 picks. Looks like another jets disaster pick so far. Butt-Fumble 2? 

[/QUOTE]

Add to this Geno's outstanding performance today in Baltimore. Here's the latest Geno-meter reading: 9 completions in 22 attempts for 127 yards, no TDs, two picks, a lost fumble, and a QB rating of 22.3. YIKES!! http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331124033

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to HeygangLH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"It wasn't a great throw. No excuses," Brady said,  "It should have been a better throw."

LOL-And u know that I am!

[/QUOTE]

44 and counting! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Leave it to Pats fans to try to call out a rookie QB playing with a revolving cast of RBs, TEs and WRs with the teams new offense and new offensive coordinator a second round bust after years of being unable to admit such players as RasI, Jermaine, Tavon, Spikes, Wheatley, Jackson and who ever 2nd round busts you want to throw in there were anything other than stellar Belichick draft picks.  Nothing to see here... just typical Pats fans. 

[/QUOTE]

44 years and still counting! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So then the question becomes... is he going to develop in the same class as Kaepernick, wilson, stafford, Ryan, Newton, RGIII, Smith or even locker?

as far as winning the division anything is possible. Qb's like Matt Schaub win divisions but for the most part it is a product of how good the D was. If the Jet D continues to improve and adds a few more pieces they could win a division in spite of Smith. they did it with Sanchez.

[/QUOTE]

Unless I slept through it the Jets never won the division with Sanchez. They were a wild card team though twice.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndyTony. Show IndyTony's posts

Last 2 games combined 17-45 230 yds 7 turnovers (5 int + 2 fumbles) ...thats 115 yrds per game...LOL...I vote Bust ....just glad the Jests won enough games to not get a good enough draft pick to get a real QB...Welcome to your future Jests trolls...HOHA

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Do bears defecate in the woods?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Rodimus77's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Leave it to Pats fans to try to call out a rookie QB playing with a revolving cast of RBs, TEs and WRs with the teams new offense and new offensive coordinator a second round bust after years of being unable to admit such players as RasI, Jermaine, Tavon, Spikes, Wheatley, Jackson and who ever 2nd round busts you want to throw in there were anything other than stellar Belichick draft picks.  Nothing to see here... just typical Pats fans. 

[/QUOTE]

44 years and still counting! 

[/QUOTE]

And leave it to a Jets' fan to continue living in denial. LOL!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

After 10 games he has 8 TDs and 16 picks. Looks like another jets disaster pick so far. Butt-Fumble 2? 

[/QUOTE]

Add to this Geno's outstanding performance today in Baltimore. Here's the latest Geno-meter reading: 9 completions in 22 attempts for 127 yards, no TDs, two picks, a lost fumble, and a QB rating of 22.3. YIKES!! http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331124033

[/QUOTE]

Well in old if you can hit your age that says something.  In FB if you can hit your number with qbr that says something too.  So close geno.   Just so close.