Is It Important For The Patriots To Beat Texans and/or 49ers During Regular Season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Is It Important For The Patriots To Beat Texans and/or 49ers During Regular Season?

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Re: Is It Important For The Patriots To Beat Texans and/or 49ers During Regular Season?

Both. Better chance of getting a first round bye with a 13-3 record! With a bye, they get healthier.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Re: Is It Important For The Patriots To Beat Texans and/or 49ers During Regular Season?

Like Herm Edwards likes to preach...."You play the games to win!" 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to LittleTimmy31's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Helloooo....actually Herm said "You play to win the game" lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

The 9 ers proved once again their beatable.  I think we win that game, stop gore and make who ever their qb is.  The texans will come to injures   Jones sure would be nice, but not till he can go for a stretch  

foster on the texans worrys me the guys a beast. I feel we're getting hot now.  The D is playing better every week   We could win both those games easily with TFB in the back field  providing the O line can hold up.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Though I think all games are important really these one's aren't critical. If Balt loses to Den then you can make a case but as of right now Balt still holds the tie breaker with the Pats so it's kind of moot. I want them to win both but if they can get 1 of the 2 I'd be pretty happy truthfully. I think the more important thing for them is that both teams bring their A games so the Pats have a chance to measure themselves against the other best teams in the league. That measuring stick might be what's needed to make a legit run into the playoffs. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kildog. Show kildog's posts

Its rather important to remember that the Texans game may be a prelude for a rematch for the AFC title.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

After yesterdays results the Patriots have clinched the AFC East and a spot in the torunament. So none of the remaining games are "important". That said with Raven losing to the Steeelers the number 2 seed is now a realistic goal (unless the Ravens win out). No easy task given their remaining schedule. So the Pat's still have something to play for? End of the day getting the bye while not the end all, does allow teams to get healthy, better game plan for their next opponant and alomst as important. Takes the risk of injury to key players out of the equasion for a week.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I think yes. Not only do we need to win we need to win as big as we can, to get in there heads. Only need to go back to 2007 when we beat the Giants on the last day of the season, but it was so close all the Giants players said later that close game gave them confidence prior to the Super Bowl that they could beat us. I say no huddle and bury them both!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I wonder where all the doom and gloomers are, if the 49ers lost yesterday to the Rams (who we racked up 45 points on) doesn't that mean their season is over?

We want to win every game but if we lose one of these games it doesn't put an end to the season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

My numbers favor New England by 7.8 points over Houston and by a whopping 12.4 points over San Francisco following SF's loss to the lowly (45-7 blowout) Rams.  Losing to either of these teams would be an embarrassment, although on any given Sunday/Monday things can happen. 

Baltimore is a senior citizen shell of its former glory.  They fell halfway out of their bye week spot when they lost to Pitt, and they have plenty of chances to fall farther.  I have Baltimore as a bare 0.7 point underdog to Washington this coming Sunday.  Denver is a bare 0.7 point underdog at Baltimore.  The Giants are a bare 0.9 point underdog at Baltimore.  Baltimore is a 3.9 point underdog at Cincinnati.  If Baltimore loses two or three more games, the Pats move up a notch.  Just going by the percentages, a bye week is a key advantage to reaching the Super Bowl, although rare wild card teams make it too. 

Houston is two games ahead of the Pats.  Even if the Patriots beat Houston they're going to need to gain one more game.  The best shot comes in week 17 against Indy at Indy. Indianapolis is probably going to be playing for seeding on week 17 (I mean, who wants to face the Pats early on?) and so I spot Houston 2.8 points at the big oil can.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Agree with PatsENG. You always want the Pats to play well against legititmate contenders. It's a measuring stick. Obviously, winning in the playoffs matters alot more. The important thing is to have everyone healthy (Gronk, Jones, others) for the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

We've locked up at least the fourth seed, but we should be trying for a higher seed.  Beating the Texans is most important because it improves our conference record and hurts there's.  But we also need to maximize overall wins, which means winning the 49ers game is also very important. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We've locked up at least the fourth seed, but we should be trying for a higher seed.  Beating the Texans is most important because it improves our conference record and hurts there's.  But we also need to maximize overall wins, which means winning the 49ers game is also very important. 

[/QUOTE]

Well said.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

New England opened at 4.5 favorites on most lines this morning.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to anonymis's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

ABSOLUTELY!!! Because of those three ugly early season losses, the Pats have been placed in a position where they must win all four remaining games on the schedule, including those against the Texans and 49ers, in order to secure a playoff bye...and, hopefully, home field advantage throughout the play-offs.

A bye is critical to tthe Pats because of all the injuries they've suffered. That extra week of rest would really help. Home field advantage is important, especially against the Ravens...who are much tougher at home, than on the road. The Pats also do not want to find themselves in a position where they have to face the Steelers with a healthy Roethlisberger in the wildcard round, and then face the prospect of having to beat both Baltimore and Houston on the road. Plus, they do not want to face the Denver Broncos in Denver.

To summarize, should the Pats earn a bye, I see them reaching the SB, again. If not, the odds of them getting to the big game are long.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

There is a chance for #1 seed if the Patriots win out and Texans lose one more game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

In response to Rodimus77's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to LittleTimmy31's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Helloooo....actually Herm said "You play to win the game" lol

[/QUOTE]

He-he! I stand corrected. Tx!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

I think it's important for playoff spots, but these 2 games are a really good barometer. Even if we lose, if the games are close and they are clean games, I'll feel good. If we get crushed either of the games, I'll start to worry. We will misi Gronk most during the 9ers game, but I think we'll miss Jones most during the Houston game. I think Foster is going to run away from Wilfork the RB eater making Spikes and Mayo work...making us dedicate a safety for help on one side of the ball. Then Andre Johnson will burn us once we are bated. If we stop the run well with the front 6 or 7 then we are good. As for the 9ers...man those guys are brutal and tough. I hope Spikes has a good game, that might push the rest of the Pats to be a bit more confident and edgy to smash them back in the mouth ;)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to kildog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its rather important to remember that the Texans game may be a prelude for a rematch for the AFC title.

[/QUOTE]

exactly. It's hard to beat a good team twice - so, I'd rather beat them during AFC conference playoff game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My numbers favor New England by 7.8 points over Houston and by a whopping 12.4 points over San Francisco following SF's loss to the lowly (45-7 blowout) Rams.  Losing to either of these teams would be an embarrassment, although on any given Sunday/Monday things can happen. 

Baltimore is a senior citizen shell of its former glory.  They fell halfway out of their bye week spot when they lost to Pitt, and they have plenty of chances to fall farther.  I have Baltimore as a bare 0.7 point underdog to Washington this coming Sunday.  Denver is a bare 0.7 point underdog at Baltimore.  The Giants are a bare 0.9 point underdog at Baltimore.  Baltimore is a 3.9 point underdog at Cincinnati.  If Baltimore loses two or three more games, the Pats move up a notch.  Just going by the percentages, a bye week is a key advantage to reaching the Super Bowl, although rare wild card teams make it too. 

Houston is two games ahead of the Pats.  Even if the Patriots beat Houston they're going to need to gain one more game.  The best shot comes in week 17 against Indy at Indy. Indianapolis is probably going to be playing for seeding on week 17 (I mean, who wants to face the Pats early on?) and so I spot Houston 2.8 points at the big oil can.

[/QUOTE]

how are the patriots doing this season with your spreads?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think it's important for the Patriots to get a bye - I imagine they will need to beat one or both of these teams to do that. It probably wouldn't hurt their confidence if they could beat them either - confidence is a big deal in sports...it's huge.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Is there any other way we would like to see the team approach these two games?  Of course I'd like to see the Pats win and in defeating these two teams would put a BIG dent in the stance many take that the Pats aren't that good or is even the best in the league right now.  It is all about appearance and who you defeated.  Like General Sherman, leave the landscape of NFL teams on fire when the Pats come through!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

A playoff bye would be nice in getting more healthy for the playoffs. Last years SB showed how important being healthy was going in to that game.

Beating good teams is also a good way to get this YOUNG team (do not forget how young they are as a group) into a winning mindset.

Having said all that neither we nor the team should let it get to them if they lose either or both. Not beating them is not an end to things. Not getting a bye is not an end. But winning both would be significant steps. And both look doable IF THEY PLAY BIG. If they come out with one of their weaker games then they dont win. But they can beat both those teams if they play good games on O, D and special teams.