Is it just me (am I being insensitive)?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Is it just me (am I being insensitive)?

Re Jonathan Martin: How does a guy who's 6'5 310 lbs and plays in the NFL get "bullied"? You make your living basically fighting, punching, wrestling and generally slamming your body into other very large men.

It seems unusual, not your run-of-the-mill victim of bullying. It seems he'd be capable of ending it, with prejudice, if he wanted to.

I don't get it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggerjoe. Show wiggerjoe's posts

Re: Is it just me (am I being insensitive)?

He has a small pen-is?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

hi

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to Patsfansince1966's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Re Jonathan Martin: How does a guy who's 6'5 310 lbs and plays in the NFL get "bullied"? You make your living basically fighting, punching, wrestling and generally slamming your body into other very large men.

It seems unusual, not your run-of-the-mill victim of bullying. It seems he'd be capable of ending it, with prejudice, if he wanted to.

I don't get it.

[/QUOTE]

You're right, you don't get it.

[/QUOTE]

You sure are one busy little man today. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"You're right, you don't get it."

yup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Looks like nobody else gets it either.

Everybody funny...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't get it.

[/QUOTE]    

When ALL of your teammates leave you at the dinner table to sit alone and laugh because the jokes on you and you are 22/23 years old? I can understand, irregardless of a persons size how this could effect all kinds of people? Feeling humiliated has nothing to do with a persons size or status-it can and has happened to many people Bigger than a 22 year old kid--now that being said, the kid has to realize it's just sophmoric fun as most of these athetes have not left high schhool/College yet in their minds. And to know that the world will chew you up and spit uot out if you do not have Inner strength and self belief. But we as fans must alweays keep in mind the entertainment we as fans are watching is coming from a pool of kids who grew up in broken homes, inner city lifesyles,drugs, etc. Not all but a vast majority and with that comes many social/mental problems--see Cromratie and his 9 kids with 6/7 woman to use an example. And remember these Jocks have had their Diks sukked most of their lives? So it doesn't suprise me one bit that this kid,(22/23) would take this in a funny way!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

[QUOTE]

Everybody funny...

[/QUOTE]

I've seen this behavior multiple times from you Muzz--you create an inflammatory discussion then back out,  stating it was not meant to be taken seriously -what gives? Not sure what kind of agenda you are pushing?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

I'll answer this Muzz; Kinda relative to your OP; My wife didn't get it either ....

Years ago my wife and I were in the stands watching one of our 3 Sons playing LT.  All 3 are huge, this one was a senior at  6'7 305 lbs. All game he shuts down this, also huge DT. The DT decides to play dirty, reaching for his eyes etc. We noticed that he pointed at the DT after a play. Next play; he actually picks up the DT by the nap of the neck and crotch and threw him at least 4 yards in the air. Penalty, unsportsman like.

My Irish/American (a clue) wife turns and said " why did he do this, he's so lovable and kind"? Then I said " your Son grew up today", don't worry about it". Yes, but "he told us that the Coach said that "there were College scouts attending today"". I know but you did'nt notice the big smile on that scout down there wearing the blue and gold sweater, that's the guy who called us a few days ago requesting a visit for the head Coach. Yep, the kid went on to 3 bowl games and decided not to attend the Combine ...... he's an MD today.

Nice to share antecdotes ..... '-)) Insensitive, you ask? lol

You and all have a wonderful night ....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I don't get it.

[/QUOTE]    

When ALL of your teammates leave you at the dinner table to sit alone and laugh because the jokes on you and you are 22/23 years old? I can understand, irregardless of a persons size how this could effect all kinds of people? Feeling humiliated has nothing to do with a persons size or status-it can and has happened to many people Bigger than a 22 year old kid--now that being said, the kid has to realize it's just sophmoric fun as most of these athetes have not left high schhool/College yet in their minds. And to know that the world will chew you up and spit uot out if you do not have Inner strength and self belief. But we as fans must alweays keep in mind the entertainment we as fans are watching is coming from a pool of kids who grew up in broken homes, inner city lifesyles,drugs, etc. Not all but a vast majority and with that comes many social/mental problems--see Cromratie and his 9 kids with 6/7 woman to use an example. And remember these Jocks have had their Diks sukked most of their lives? So it doesn't suprise me one bit that this kid,(22/23) would take this in a funny way!

[/QUOTE]

I get that everybody reacts differently and there are big guys who are wusses, etc. What I don't understand is how a big giant guy who plays one of the most violent and physically demanding positions in a violent sport well enough to rise to the very pinnacle of that sport, can be bullied to the extent where he has to run home to mommy.  This is not some big, dumb farmboy who never left his hometown and finds himself in a big city for the first time away from his cows.  You would think that, at some point in his past, he had to kick some butt and that he's capable of defending himself. 

Don't you at some point just pick some guy who's giving you crap up and bodyslam his head into a table and ask, loudly, "who's next?" 

Anyway, there's no answer here - there has to be more to the story, drugs, mental illness, something - because otherwise, it makes no sense. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Everybody funny...

[/QUOTE]

I've seen this behavior multiple times from you Muzz--you create an inflammatory discussion then back out,  stating it was not meant to be taken seriously -what gives? Not sure what kind of agenda you are pushing?

[/QUOTE]

Say what? What's inflammatory? This is a real life deal and I'm saying I don't get it. You post some dime store psychoanalysis and I'm supposed to what? Genuflect? Screw you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to palookaski's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll answer this Muzz; Kinda relative to your OP; My wife didn't get it either ....

Years ago my wife and I were in the stands watching one of our 3 Sons playing LT.  All 3 are huge, this one was a senior at  6'7 305 lbs. All game he shuts down this, also huge DT. The DT decides to play dirty, reaching for his eyes etc. We noticed that he pointed at the DT after a play. Next play; he actually picks up the DT by the nap of the neck and crotch and threw him at least 4 yards in the air. Penalty, unsportsman like.

My Irish/American (a clue) wife turns and said " why did he do this, he's so lovable and kind"? Then I said " your Son grew up today", don't worry about it". Yes, but "he told us that the Coach said that "there were College scouts attending today"". I know but you did'nt notice the big smile on that scout down there wearing the blue and gold sweater, that's the guy who called us a few days ago requesting a visit for the head Coach. Yep, the kid went on to 3 bowl games and decided not to attend the Combine ...... he's an MD today.

[/QUOTE]

See, that's what I'm talking about. That's what I would expect from a guy like Martin who has made it to the NFL, a little passion, a little temper. How do you get that far without it? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Yeah, that's what we like about Mankins, the guy doesn't take any crap. I remember my kid saying that he would love to get hold of Suh in the trenches ...... I'll leave it at that! lol

have a great night all .... don't worry too much about some of the crap going here now, there
    are to many great posters here ...... just avoid the nonsense for thier sake(s).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Or maybe the player is just mental, & something that shouldn't set someone off did. He checked himself in to the hospital, so that should give an indication that he knows there is something not right about his mental state.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

See, that's what I'm talking about. That's what I would expect from a guy like Martin who has made it to the NFL, a little passion, a little temper. How do you get that far without it? 

[/QUOTE]

There was speculation being talked about today that the medical leave excuse is not a coverup but that the dude actually is having some legitimate mental health issues.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Thank you LOw-FB_IQ

I'm ignorant of that, I don't keep up with all the NFL News ... Yeah, nobody is really making fun of a persons' mental health. Serious stuff, as I've been in the Mental Heath care (Military) business for many years. Retired but still working on Contract.

ps; I'm impressed with your keen insightful posts and comments. If we were to discuss whom - from this board - would make a great VP of operations for the Patriots? My choice would be you sir.
    Thanks

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's a great story. Thanks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We get it, you're all man. You love the military and don't take crap from anyone. That's great, but not everyone is built like you. 

Some people are sensitive, they don't like confrontation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Bullying is not as straightforward a matter as it would appear.  Although what is commonly referred to as bullying is of the outwardly physical variety wherein aggressive physicality is the instrument, bullying is much more a function of the state of mind of the individuals involved.  There are legions of examples where the object of the bullying was actually a physically more imposing figure than the bully.  How then does the bigger individual allow himself/herself to be bullied?  Self-image (on both sides), personality traits, personal backgrounds, the culture of the environment in which it takes place all are factors.  Finally, there is a mental health element on both sides of the equation. 

Am I a mental health professional?  No, but I've been in a position of leadership my entire adult life.  One of the more important elements of leadership is understanding (or attempting to understand) human motivation, how to build an effectively functioning organization and what aids or impedes the team-building process. 

In answer to the question posed, Jonathan Martin's self-image and background probably are the controlling factors here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

We get it, you're all man. You love the military and don't take crap from anyone. That's great, but not everyone is built like you. 

Some people are sensitive, they don't like confrontation.

[/QUOTE]

I get that. But we're not talking about a librarian here or a placekicker. This is a guy who makes a living based on confrontation. It's what he does. And he's accomplished enough at it to be a starting LT in the NFL. You don't get to that level without being physically and at some level, mentally tough and without having to impose your will on other big, tough men. Like every day of your life going back to high school. Whether he's a great player is beside the point, he is physically capable of kicking butt and defending himself.

Anyway, I think LowFB-IQ answered it, he's got mental health issues. Probably had a break down. The closest thing I can remember in sports was a pretty good heavyweight boxer Oliver McCall who started crying in the middle of a fight against Lennox Lewis. 

It will interesting to see if he can make it back.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

the player with issues is the player that was harassing Martin, Incognito. Incognito is a true head case, having issues at every place in his career. if this isnt roid rage at its ugliest, I dont know what is. Incognito and Pouncey, 2 thugs that have serious issues...Martin, scholastic, Stanford grad, mild mannered. NFL football OLman, but not a mauler, a technician. easy to see why the tension

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbZEkFLXh9Y

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I don't get it.

[/QUOTE]    

[/QUOTE]

I get that everybody reacts differently and there are big guys who are wusses, etc. What I don't understand is how a big giant guy who plays one of the most violent and physically demanding positions in a violent sport well enough to rise to the very pinnacle of that sport, can be bullied to the extent where he has to run home to mommy.  This is not some big, dumb farmboy who never left his hometown and finds himself in a big city for the first time away from his cows.  You would think that, at some point in his past, he had to kick some butt and that he's capable of defending himself. 

Don't you at some point just pick some guy who's giving you crap up and bodyslam his head into a table and ask, loudly, "who's next?" 

Anyway, there's no answer here - there has to be more to the story, drugs, mental illness, something - because otherwise, it makes no sense. 

[/QUOTE]

And that's just it....those "other things" that you mention (drugs, mental illness, etc.) aren't just tiny little "other things". Those are real. Just like how the big, dumb farmboy may not actually be just big and dumb (those statements are more in the not real category). 

Mental illness comes in all sizes. The NFL will over look many of those problems if a kid is 6'5" inches and can run under a 5 forty...they do it all the time.

25. This post has been removed.